Eternally popular with couples, Instagrammers and lovers of unique landscapers, romantic Santorini is a beautiful and breathtaking Greek archipelago located in the Aegean Sea, which is a remnant of one of the largest volcanic eruptions in recorded history.
This eruption created a caldera, which is now a popular spot for swimming and boat tours. Additionally, Santorini is famed for its charming villages of white-washed buildings with blue-domed churches, as well as its spectacular sunsets.
A perfect blend of culture, adventure, and relaxation makes Santorini one of the most sought-after vacation destinations in Europe.
Santorini’s hotels capture its unique beauty, and range from chic clifftop boutiques to trendy beachfront all-inclusive resorts. Having visited many times over the past two decades, I have compiled my favourite cool and unusual hotels in Santorini, Greece (in no particular order)…
1. Kapari Natural Resort – a beautiful, trendy and very Instagrammable exclusive retreat which offers a gorgeous view of the caldera
Consisting of five three-century-old houses and nine 2009-built ones, Kapari Natural Resort cascades over three levels, and is perched at Imerovígli’s highest point.
The property pays homage to the distinctive characteristics of the typical Cycladic architecture, while adding a sprinkle of 21st century comfort.
Ochre and buff are the predominant hues, while matching soft furnishings and polished-cement floors exude glamour. For me, a great touch was the daily breakfast, served directly to the private veranda of my Spa Premium category room.
All rooms come equipped with Duxiana mattresses, fridges, Australian Priya brand bath sundries, and touch-pad climate and entertainment-system controls.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kapari Natural Resort
2. Suites of the Gods Cave Spa Hotel – a trendy upscale all-suite hotel with incredible views of the Aegean Sea and the sunken volcanic caldera
Eloquently crafted in line with the island’s traditional style of architecture, and combined with modern design elements, Suites of the Gods brings guests to the crater top and impresses with breathtaking volcano views.
Each suite romantically bears the name of a famous Greek God, giving a fairy tale touch to the palatial setting. I had some wonderful evenings in the Celebrities Restaurant, where each dish is inspired by Mediterranean & Greek philosophies, and an exclusive 100-year-old winery with wine-stained walls is attached.
Embracing the hushed serenity of the caves, the on-site spa mingles nature’s finest elements together to create a magical place of relaxation in the midst of stone and water features.
- To book, check prices or availability for Suites of the Gods Cave Spa Hotel
3. Astro Palace Hotel & Suites – a chic, modern and elegant hotel with private suites and swimming pools
With easy access to the main town of Fira, Astro Palace greets guests with the most imaginative star-studded pool on the island, which twinkles at night.
The hotel’s soothing minimalist style makes it a great place for chilling out and pampering yourself, and the aesthetic of Cycladic whites with earthy tints girdling modern wooden furniture adds a beautiful, radiant atmosphere.
While I only stayed in a standard room, it still came equipped with a stunning balcony and offered state-of-the-amenities which exuded refined elegance. If you’re feeling spendy, the senior suites come with private hot tubs and plunge pools, radiating huge levels of luxury.
- To book, check prices or availability for Astro Palace Hotel & Suites
4. Dana Villas & Infinity Suites – stunning, hip and Insta-worthy all-suite hotel perfect for influencers, Millennials and Gen Zs
Evoking divine authenticity through its gleaming natural setting, Dana is a place where dreams are to be met with a deep sense of satisfaction.
Jaw-dropping sea views accompany the secluded white-washed suites, which hang off the edge of the caldera and exude pure serenity and romance. The new gastronomy proposal, Orkos, symbolizes Dana’s intrinsic promise to serve life-lasting memories to guests, by taking your taste buds to new heights in a dazzling outdoor setting.
Afterwards, beautifully crafted drinks are offered at the Infinity Pool Lounge Grand Terrace, where you will feel like you’re floating in the air as you overlook the intense volcano at night.
- To book, check prices or availability for Dana Villas & Infinity Suites
5. Nikki Beach Resort & Spa Santorini – a fun and discerning lifestyle destination perfect for partying, relaxing or being seen
The American Nikki Beach brand has entered Europe with a cool, low-key version of its typical party vibe, for which it is famous. Here you will find a graceful rooftop bar, spacious rooms with floating beds, and an all-round relaxed atmosphere.
As I entered this gleaming white haven, the wall of books in the Soul Lobby immediately set a relaxed tone, which extended to the sunbed-dotted infinity pool.
Many of the accommodations feature a private Jacuzzi, a pool, and a garden or deck. To treat the palate, delicious and inventive Mediterranean dishes are served all afternoon and evening in the poolside restaurant.
- To book, check prices or availability for Nikki Beach Resort & Spa Santorini
6. Magma Resort Santorini, In The Unbound Collection By Hyatt – beautiful and trendy boutique resort with a slight boho vibe
A sanctuary of serenity for body and spirit, Magma Resort overlooks the endless blue of the Aegean, and welcomes independent-minded luxury travellers to a cool, authentic essence of reconnection.
The resort pays homage to Santorini’s traditions, and combines minimal elements with earthly tones in the stunning guestrooms. My private haven came with a veranda, as well as a walk-in shower and a cosy living area, and was the perfect basecamp of tranquillity for my island adventures.
On-site, you can pamper the senses in a trailblazing wellness centre and subterranean spa, where signature treatments invite you on a journey of rejuvenation. The wisdom of nature also suffuses the hotel’s culinary concept, Magma by Spondi, which is passionately curated by a two starred Michelin Chef.
- To book, check prices or availability for Magma Resort Santorini, In The Unbound Collection By Hyatt
7. Noūs Santorini – a wow-inducing one-of-a-kind hotel with a stunning contemporary design
Here we have a 5-star luxury resort hotel with a unique character, combining world-class interior design and jaw-dropping exterior landscapes.
At Noūs, Santorini’s colourful history is embellished with a contemporary flair, designed to enhance experiences, connections, and tranquillity. This graceful hospitality concept offers a lush slice of paradise in its 20 square metre garden rooms, which open onto an open-air courtyard where a comfy lounge area certainly set me right into holiday mode.
An outdoor palm-fringed pool is graced by a lush horizon backdrop, which welcomes a golden sunset each evening. Additionally, a charming open-plan bar area serves crafted beverages from noon till early hours.
- To book, check prices or availability for Noūs Santorini
8. Caldera Cliff Illusion – an exceptional and unique upscale stay perfect for Instagrammers and influencers
Combining boutique elegance with luxury flair, this exclusive hideaway offers an enticing insight into this fascinating island, and its unique beauty, romance, and traditions.
Ideally situated in Fira town, the hotel is built into the mythic Caldera, and is decorated in a beautiful Cycladic style. Each accommodation is designed individually, with many different suites catering to different tastes and budgets.
Mine came with a private Jacuzzi overlooking the Caldera, and offered high-end personal care amenities. Delicately furnished, my entire stay was spent taking in the soft, sweet Aegean breeze from up above – It was a genuine dream come true!
- To book, check prices or availability for Caldera Cliff Illusion
9. Skyfall Suites – a cool, hip and adults-only, all-suite boutique hotel perched high on a hill for fabulous views
Elegant and opulent with a touch of eccentricity, this mesmerizing Santorini retreat captivates visitors with its exceptional views from a soaring clifftop.
Its privileged location puts you within half a kilometre of the main square of Pyrgos village, and a short drive from the island’s capital, Fira. A recent addition of a brand-new spa has brought a serene pampering and wellness experience to the fingertips of guests, who can make use of a steam room, a sauna, and a heated swimming pool.
During my stay, the amiable staff helped me arrange some unforgettable excursions, which included a wine tour to the beautiful Santorinian terroir, and a hiking trip around the caldera.
- To book, check prices or availability for Skyfall Suites – Adults Only
10. Cavo Tagoo Santorini – an outstanding design hotel with incredible Insta-worthy views perfect for couples
Situated a mere 5 km from Fira, this exclusive all-suite hotel is teeming with luxury in every nook and cranny. A charming boho-chic aesthetic dresses the communal interiors, while the open-air pool exudes a more chic-sophisticated look, with large comfy loungers set atop wooded decking.
From this spot, you can capture the perfect Instagram shot, with the islands looming in the backdrop. Your private sanctuary will include soothing wooden hues and natural elements, and large windows affording gleaming ocean views at all times.
The entire concept behind Cavoo Tagoo revolves around the essence of luxury and the majesty of beachfront serenity.
- To book, check prices or availability for Cavo Tagoo Santorini
11. Cosmopolitan Suites – Small Luxury Hotels of the World – an upscale intimate boutique hotel which is one of the best places to stay in Santorini
Perched majestically on the edge of the Caldera, this awe-inspiring resort is the epitome of Greek hospitality and immaculate personalized service.
It is the perfect home away from home in central Fira town, girdled by an idyllic setting and once-in-a-lifetime Instagrammable opportunities.8
Whether you choose to lounge by the Seaview infinity pool, sit in a domed archway on a comfy lounger, or retreat to your private amenity-laden cocoon, every visual frame includes memorable views of the sea and its many islands. The pool bar serves fresh meals and fruit-infused cocktails, which can be savoured amid a blissful Aegean sunset.
An astonishing memory during my stay here was waking up to the gentle sea breeze and having a delicious breakfast delivered to my room, which I tucked into on my secluded, elegant veranda.
- To book, check prices or availability for Cosmopolitan Suites – Small Luxury Hotels of the World
12. Andronis Concept Wellness Resort – a superb and very relaxing retreat with scenic private pools and an upscale sea-view restaurant
Part of the Andronis luxury brand that dominates Santorini’s hotel scene, this imposing spa resort exudes spaciousness and elegance, with every visual frame in the property backed by the Aegean blue.
The hotel offers three swimming pools – My personal favourite was the café pool, which comes with a free-flowing waterfall. Another is the 56-metre infinity pool, which is the longest on Santorini. Further offerings include heli hire, catamaran cruises, wine tastings, tennis lessons, and a private cinema on-site.
Throubi, the sunset-facing restaurant, serves memorable dishes suffused with a philosophy of wellness, vetted by dieticians. This accompanies a wine list of more than 200 varieties!
- To book, check prices or availability for Andronis Concept Wellness Resort
13. Art Maisons Oia Castle – a creative, unique and wow-inducing hotel housed in a hilltop hotel in a restored fortress
In the midst of a famous traditional village, this legendary hotel was once used as a fortress, and has evolved to become the island’s most popular spot for a romantic getaway.
My partner and I were lured into the breathtaking view at Art Maisons, which included the most enthralling sunset we have ever witnessed.
The famous movie ‘Summer Lovers’ was filmed here, and the suites & villas have incorporated modern lavish details to delight guests as they soak up the charm from a private viewing platform. The timeless beauty of Oia village is expressed effortlessly throughout the entire property!
- To book, check prices or availability for Art Maisons Oia Castle
14. Katikies Santorini – The Leading Hotels Of The World – a modern boutique hotel formed of a complex of bridges, private cubist cottages and stunning infinity pools
Dozens of gleaming whitewashed rooms tumble down Oia’s majestic cliffside, forming a resplendent welcome at Katikies. Upon entrance I was totally captivated by the three infinity pools, which melt seamlessly into the horizon.
From your doorstep, you can step out onto the winding streets of the village, and be led to the centre by a pedestrianised marble pathway. This maze-like masterpiece is sprinkled with splashes of green from shrubbery and trees, while 100 metres below, you will be totally entranced by the sparkling of the ocean.
Throughout the property, a mute8d palette of greys, beige, and white dominates. The Pool Bar and Restaurant invites you to relish a mesmerizing sunset with a glass of fizz and a choice of exceptional cuisine in a candle-lit environment.
- To book, check prices or availability for Katikies Santorini – The Leading Hotels Of The World
15. Cresanto Luxury Suites – a tranquil and relaxed hotel with unique design features located in Imerovigli
Combining natural beauty with blissful comfort and a bespoke service, Cresanto offers an incomparab2le holiday experience, epitomizing the fabled Greek hospitality.
The resort towers over the entire island, with panoramas to the eastern shores setting a memorable backdrop. Relaxation and indulgence are key themes in the hotel’s undertakings, from its exceptional gastronomic offerings to its soul-stirring spa facilities.
The seven suite types all feature hand-picked luxury amenities, and offer outdoor hot tubs or plunge pools with a choice of garden or sea views. The main swimming pool is the complex’s focal point, and complements an eclectic pool bar which offers locally inspired cuisine.
- To book, check prices or availability for Cresanto Luxury Suites
16. Oia Spirit Boutique Residences – a unique and chic boutique hotel located in the heart of Oia
Nesting in a secluded position on the picturesque caldera cliffs, this stylish complex consists of 5 stand-alone traditional cave houses and a breathtaking cave pool.
Oia Spirit is taken straight out of a design magazine and offers the perfect Instagram shot between two iconic domes. Inside, a charming boutique atmosphere is set through soothing wooden finishes, which beautify the gleaming white walls. Each unit is minimalist and open plan by nature, and allows plenty of natural light to brighten up the ambiance.
The shimmering turquoise cave pool offered a moment of pure bliss during my holiday. This serene spot overlooks the island’s Cycladic architecture in the backdrop of the gorgeous ocean azure.
- To book, check prices or availability for Oia Spirit Boutique Residences
17. Onyx Hotel & Suites – a stylish and dreamy boutique hotel centrally located in the quaint village of Karterados
Embracing Santorini’s traditional architecture while adding a range of modern elements, these family-owned suites ooze homely comforts and each come with a dedicated outdoor space.
I thought the earthy natural materials brought a charming boutique flair to the interiors, while the Smart TV, minibar, and outdoor Jacuzzi exuded a sense of sophisticated luxury.
A step outside each secluded cocoon lands you beside a blissful infinity pool which is dotted with sunbeds and parasols, inviting you to embrace a moment of pure relaxation. Onyx Hotel & Suites provides the best of both worlds – a tranquil space of respite, yet only a short drive to the bustling city of Fira.
- To book, check prices or availability for Onyx Hotel & Suites
18. Abyss – a dramatic and gorgeous upscale boutique hotel which offers a classic, minimalistic design in each suite
This peaceful hotel embodies the very essence of boutique, and is inspired by the unique textures and colours of the volcanic terrain. Gold leaf lighting and custom Nero Marquina details ornate the cave houses, which all overlook the stunning caldera. During my stay here I found a much deeper, soulful experience than in many other hotels I have stayed in, owing to the soothing décor, amiable staff presence, and comfy, open-plan luxury suite. My unit had a private lounge terrace with plunge pool, as well as a living area, a walk-in closet, a minibar, and a B&O sound system.
- To book, check prices or availability for Abyss
19. Lithi Luxury Retreat – new, intimate and upscale boutique accommodation with a carefree boho vibe
Like a wave of bliss, Lithi Luxury Retreat carries guests away to a playful dance with the sun and sea. The colours of nature awaken a state of deep connection, which characterizes the collection of two high-end villas and 7 luxury suites in this 5-building complex.
All units harmonize with the natural surroundings, and are fitted with organic linen in earthy tones, while boho-chic touches enhance the atmosphere of serenity.
My suite featured a private hammock on an extensive veranda, and the interiors were embellished with world class comforts. Hellenic and Mediterranean gastronomic ingredients fuse a symphony of flavours and aromas in the on-site restaurant, where tradition, modernity, and vitality coexist.
- To book, check prices or availability for Lithi Luxury Retreat
20. Remezzo Villas – a gorgeous laid back hotel located in a restored 1800s winery offering stunning views of the sunset
Exquisite caldera views are offered in a tranquil setting at Remezzo Villas. Gazing out over the whitewashed houses and domed churches honeycombed between blue sea and cobalt skies, is a moment I will forever remember.
The vaulted ceilings, curved contours, and pressed plaster walls exude tradition, and are embellished with contemporary interiors that complement the surrounding landscape.
The suites, all uniquely themed, are scattered across a cluster of characteristic cave houses, and offer the chance for a peaceful repose amid plush linens and high-quality materials.
A unique feature of Remezzo is its daily-changing three-course breakfast, which features local products and traditional recipes. Further memorable moments on my trip were tucking into poolside snacks in the open-air restaurant, and savouring a Santorini wine with epic volcano views.
- To book, check prices or availability for Remezzo Villas
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels Mykonos
- Cool boutique hotels Crete
- Cool boutique hotels Rhodes
- Cool boutique hotels Cyprus
- Cool boutique hotels Kos
- Cool boutique hotels Zakynthos
- Cool boutique hotels Athens
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Malta
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Kefalonia
Born and raised in Brazil, Gaby has always had a taste for the intriguing, the off-beat and the far flung. After travelling around most of South America, living in Spain and Italy and then moving to England, her feet have stayed continually twitchy. Studying for a degree in Spanish translation and then learning five more languages only poured more fuel onto her travelling ardor.
Gaby likes nothing better than discovering new destinations and meeting the locals, tasting the cuisine and hearing about the local stories. Her other indulgences include French cinema, boxing, photography, colourful manicures and soaking up the rays on a sun-infused beach. She counts Rio de Janeiro, Rome, Barcelona, Lisbon and Cornwall as her most favourite places in the world.