Sardinia, the second largest island in Italy, is a beautiful and idyllic Mediterranean paradise famed for its picturesque coastal towns, dazzling beaches, sparkling sea and unspoiled rugged landscapes.
Shaped by millennia of tectonic activity, the island’s unique geomorphology has harboured a rich biodiversity. This has resulted in a diverse range of habitats, from lush Mediterranean maquis to arid granite mountains.
A tumultuous history has shaped Sardinia’s culture, and its inhabitants are incredibly proud of their heritage. This is reflected in the island’s many traditional festivals, cuisine, and music.
In my many trips to the island, I have been wowed by the authenticity of its hotels, which range from quaint clifftop boutiques to trendy seafront resorts. Here are my favourite cool and unusual hotels in Sardinia, Italy (in no particular order)…
1. Piccolo Hotel – Adults Only – a trendy, modern and bright boutique hotel within walking distance of Ottiolu Beach
Perched on a peaceful hillside affording splendid sea views, Piccolo Hotel is surrounded by lush greenery and invites guests to a comfortable & relaxing stay.
Its 8 standalone buildings host several different categories of guestrooms, each dressed in a Mediterranean style with the widespread use of wood, stone, and marble. Each unit comes with contemporary comforts which include a TV and a minibar. I thought the buffet breakfast, in the spacious and elegant dining room, was exceptional!
On-site offerings include a swimming pool dotted with sun beds and parasols, and a tour desk which can help with car rental, boat trips, and island excursions.
- To book, check prices or availability for Piccolo Hotel – Adults Only
2. Jazz Hotel – a hip, vibrant and contemporary hotel in close proximity to Olbia city centre
Set in a privileged position a mere 2 km from the centre of Olbia, Jazz Hotel is totally devoted to comfort. It showcases a refined freshness in its graceful boutique spaces, where an expression of authentic hospitality is at the forefront.
The hotel is a contemporary twist on the typical Sardinian architecture, and its rooms are designed to envelop guests in both luxury and intrigue.
Soft purple finishes, patterned tapestries, and ambient lighting add a quirky flair to the in-room aesthetic, while blissful ocean-meets-mountain vistas lie in the backdrop. The on-site restaurant Bacchus is a welcoming haven, rich in colours, where a genuine taste of Sardinia can be savoured to the fullest.
- To book, check prices or availability for Jazz Hotel
3. Hotel Grand Relais Dei Nuraghi – an idyllic, unique and chic hotel in a location perfect for design-loving Millennials and Gen Zs
Set on a natural rock formation just a few metres from the sea, this jaw-dropping haven boasts exquisite views of the Maddalena Archipelago, inviting guests to embrace romantic moments.
The suites, immersed in greenery, are designed to ooze total relaxation. They all set you free from the chaotic world, with comfy loungers set on private terraces. I spent many an afternoon at the exclusive rooftop swimming pool, where the surrounding sunbeds offered a front-row seat to some of the most iridescent sunsets I have ever witnessed.
Up on the communal terrace, during breakfast, the endless horizon views are accompanied by a true awakening of the senses.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Grand Relais Dei Nuraghi
4. Sulià House Porto Rotondo, Curio Collection by Hilton – a stylish, sleek and quiet boutique hotel where guests can experience cuisine created from fresh, local produce
Overlooking the Gulf of Cugnana from the northern hills of Sardinia, this elegant boutique hotel combines chic sophistication with soul-stirring landscapes, curating the most idyllic vacation experience.
The property is clad head to toe in luxury, from the lavish open-air dining spaces to the more intimate communal nooks. I thoroughly enjoyed my evening at Pasiga Bar, where the cosy sofas offered tranquillity as I savoured the refreshing signature creations from the mixologists.
Also available are the bistro, restaurant, and wine cellar, all of which blend a chilled and friendly scene with an innovative concept designed to inspire curiosity and soothe the soul.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sulià House Porto Rotondo, Curio Collection by Hilton
5. Grande Baia Resort & Spa – a family-friendly, rejuvenating and beautiful resort where guests can enjoy a wide range of on-site amenities
Immersed in an 80-hectare park of Mediterranean scrub, Grande Baia is a place where colours are glittering, senses explode, and emotions are stirred. Within its private beach, pool area, wellness centre, three restaurants, and three bars, you will discover the quintessence of serenity.
Kids will also be pleasantly occupied, with sports fields and an ice cream parlour offered on-site. My guestroom, caressed by the sea breeze, was the perfect basecamp for my relaxed coastal vacation, and was dressed in soothing tones and nautically inspired hues, depicting pure luxury.
You can regenerate the spirit with body treatments at the spa, where a synthesis of water, air, earth, and passion awaits.
- To book, check prices or availability for Grande Baia Resort & Spa
6. Lu’ Hotel Porto Pino – a trendy, hip and fun hotel offering guests an array of activities
Housed in a Mediterranean-style structure, Lu’Hotel is the ideal space for those wanting to combine a beach holiday with an experience rich in history and charm.
A standout element of my stay was my guestroom, which was furnished in a Mediterranean style, yet offered all the comforts of a high-end resort. High-speed Wi-Fi connection, and state-of-the-art equipment allowed me to maintain my work commitments while beautifully decompressing amid plush, natural materials.
The panoramic sea view restaurant overlooks the Gulf of Palmas, and treats guests to a wide selection of dishes recalling local and national traditions. Meanwhile, the bar is a charming space for tasty Mediterranean snacks, which accompany fresh cocktails in a majestic coastal-inspired atmosphere.
- To book, check prices or availability for Lu’ Hotel Porto Pino
7. Smy Carlos V Wellness & Spa Alghero – a spacious, upscale and sleek hotel featuring a lavish modern spa and wellness centre
Owing to its majestic location amid white sand and gorgeous coast, this graceful boutique hotel invites you to relish heavenly comfort during your vacation.
Guests are often drawn to the hotel by its incredible spa centre, which offers a thermal circuit of saunas, heated pools, and steam rooms. They are then captivated by the charming restaurant, which accompanies a sea view balcony and makes for a once-in-a-life-time evening during a golden horizon sunset.
I thought the bed in my guestroom was extra comfortable, and promoted a blissful night’s sleep. Backdropped by the turquoise sea, other in-room amenities included ultra-high-velocity Wi-Fi and Chromecast.
- To book, check prices or availability for Smy Carlos V Wellness & Spa Alghero
8. Cascioni Eco Retreat – a unique, Instagrammable and eco-friendly 5-star hotel perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs who love the outdoors
Set near the wave-lashed shores of the emerald coast, Cascioni Eco Retreat consists of low-lying farmhouses which house 15 immaculate suites.
Within the property’s grounds also lie a sun-soaked swimming pool, an organic spa, and an oak-scented wine cellar. My suite came with a private plunge pool and garden, while the interiors were dressed in an earthy tone which oozed a sense of understated luxury.
The main pool acts as the hotel’s epicentre, and its many cosy sun loungers are backdropped by the azure ocean. The restaurant, operated by custodians of Sardinian culinary traditions, invites you to savour the finest local ingredients amid a soothing natural atmosphere.
- To book, check prices or availability for Cascioni Eco Retreat
9. Kkult Boutique Hotel & Spa – a rustic, trendy and cool hotel neighbouring a variety of shopping boutiques and interesting dining options
Set in an idyllic location in the centre of Olbia, close to many established boutiques and restaurants, this elegant hotel has been thoughtfully designed down to the smallest detail.
It showcases the very best of Italian furniture brands, which have given each room an individual look. I loved the gorgeous panoramic terrace, where you can revel in 360-degree city views while sunbathing.
The hotel also houses a beautiful spa, which comes with a hydromassage pool and a sauna, offering an opulent moment of wellness. On-site, you can savour exceptional cuisine for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, either in the comfort of your room or atop a mesmerizing terrace.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kkult Boutique Hotel & Spa
10. Corte Bianca – Adults Only & SPA – Bovis Hotels – an intimate, rustic-chic and relaxing hotel perfect for a couple’s romantic getaway
Operated by a local family, this adults-only beachfront hotel is characterized by its menu of cultural events, its gourmet food offerings, and its two blissful swimming pools.
Girdled by the majestic mountains of the island’s east coast, the hotel resembles a traditional Sardinian hamlet, with its whitewashed stucco, sea-blue woodwork, chunky stone walls, and terracotta-tiled roofs.
My room, rather elegantly, was nestled within Mediterranean gardens of olives and oleander, a short stroll from a fabulous pebble beach, and boasted a private balcony. During my stay, I was given the chance to explore local traditions through cooking, crafts, and artisan classes.
- To book, check prices or availability for Corte Bianca – Adults Only & SPA – Bovis Hotels
11. La Coluccia – a new, contemporary and upscale hotel steps away from golden sand shores and crystal clear waters
Overlooking the Conca Verde beach, La Coluccia is a modern design villa softened by a canopy of pine trees. Perfumed by the fragrances of the Mediterranean maquis and framed by the colours of the sea, this peaceful refuge will present you with the trip of a lifetime.
I thoroughly enjoyed heading to the small private beach, which is equipped with parasols and sunbeds and lies only a few steps from the rooms.
After a peaceful sunset stroll, each day I ventured to the on-site restaurant, where gourmet cuisine attentive to local produce and hand-crafted techniques reflected a unique kitchen philosophy.
- To book, check prices or availability for La Coluccia
12. Tartheshotel – one of the best hotels in Sardinia providing guests with an award-winning, spacious and relaxing stay
A refined environment full of charm, Tartheshotel invites you into an oasis of wellness in the Sardinian wilderness, and encodes mythical traditions into the canons of its hospitality.
The shimmering outdoor pool features a free-flowing waterfall, and is set in the backdrop of soaring peaks and verdant landscapes. The aromas of the Mediterranean are emanated blissfully in the on-site restaurant, where a heady combination of local delicacies and traditional Italian fare is offered.
I thought the guestrooms were a true embodiment of bespoke luxury. Mine came equipped with a travertine bathroom, while Villeroy & Both elements coalesced with essences from the Tartheshotel gardens.
- To book, check prices or availability for Tartheshotel
13. Eliantos Boutique Hotel & Spa – a charming, modern and new hotel where guests can hire bikes to explore the area
As I entered the imposing gate of Eliantos, I was flooded with a feeling of serenity. Inside, the beautiful hallway, charming bar area, and luxury terrace invite you to feel pampered at all times.
Meanwhile, the blissful spa offers a programme where guests come to rediscover the pleasures of ‘bien-vivre’. Topped with expert hands, each service here is designed to strengthen the immune system, enhance wellness, and help you find your inner bliss.
Additionally, an open-air tree-fringed pool area is dotted by cosy seating spots where you can savour a crafted cocktail and recline on a cosy lounger atop a soothing wooden decking.
- To book, check prices or availability for Eliantos Boutique Hotel & Spa
14. Hotel Baia Di Nora – an elegant, tranquil and charming hotel moments away from the historic city of Nora
Set in one of the most fascinating stretches of the Sardinian shoreline, Hotel Baia is the ideal place to fully immerse in the tranquillity of nature, just a few minutes from the ancient Phoenician city of Nora.
Its elegant rooms and suites are surrounded by green pastures, white sandy shores, and turquoise waters. My favourite feature of the property was its proximity to kitesurfing, snorkelling, and hiking spots, which allowed me to combine a peaceful repose with an action-packed adventure.
Throughout the property, large green spaces exude blissful relaxation, while a swimming pool and an enchanting cove invite you to embrace further pampering during your stay.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Baia Di Nora
15. Hotel Ollastu – a stunning, bright and Mediterranean-style hotel surrounded by picturesque scenery and Insta-worthy views
This little corner of paradise, draped in a balmy breeze and the scents of the sea, owes its name to the large centenary olive tree located in front of the main entrance.
The hotel is synonymous with warmth and quality of service, forming a blissful harmony that can be felt in the restaurant, by the pool, and in the gorgeous guestrooms.
The property is set on an expansive sprawl of land, and each evening, I took a beautiful sunset stroll as I admired the exquisite terrain. Around 600 metres from the hotel lies a shimmering beach, accessible by a free shuttle service or by foot. You can book umbrellas and sunbeds at the hotel’s reception, and even arrange canoe hire.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Ollastu
16. La Villetta – a historic, classic and elegant B&B located near to popular local attractions
This family-run hotel gave me an idyllic blend of historic charm and modern comfort. An atmosphere of friendship suffuses the property, from its well-equipped communal spaces to its beautiful garden, to its shimmering private beachfront.
Being able to step out of my room and land in the ocean azure within a few steps was amazing, and provided me with the relaxation I was after.
The majority of the guestrooms, with traditional stone walls and wood-beamed ceilings, exude antiquity and curiosity, while the marble-clad bathrooms offer elegant walk-in showers and plenty of space. There are, however, a few guestrooms which were added as part of a huge revamp, and are dressed in a refined, white-washed boutique style.
- To book, check prices or availability for La Villetta
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Sorrento
- Cool boutique hotels in Rome
- Cool boutique hotels in Venice
- Cool boutique hotels in Milan
- Cool boutique hotels in Siena
- Cool boutique hotels in Turin
- Cool boutique hotels in The Dolomites
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Naples
- Cool and Unusual hotels in The Amalfi Coast
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lake Como
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bologna
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Malta
Ever since he was knee-high to a grasshopper Michael has always been a sucker for an adventure. Growing up he was lucky enough to live in a handful of exotic far flung locations including Hong Kong, Pakistan, Kenya and Tanzania and since then he’s continued his taste for seeking out new cultures. So much in fact he now travels the world as a trading digital nomad, exploring everything from the sizzling street markets in Bangkok to random back alleys in Sri Lanka and everything in between! He also has a special fondness for Cohibas, street food, playing carrom, and fine wine and knows his clarets from his chiantis. He counts Cuba, Amsterdam, Indonesia, Cambodia and Italy as his favourite destinations.