The Southern Belle with its historic mansions, elegant architecture, moss-adorned oak trees, and lush green squares, it’s is one of the prettiest and most loved (it frequently tops many a prestigious travel list) cities in the US. Set on the coast, it’s one of the oldest cities in the state of Georgia, and curious visitors are drawn from over all the world to find out just what makes this place so charming and special. Unsurprisingly, there’s also a fine collection of places to stay, from historic and intimate boutiques to modern high rises. Here are some of the best cool and unusual hotels in Savannah, Georgia (in no particular order, they’re all gorgeous)…
1. Perry Lane Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Savannah – a 5-star very Instagrammable hotel that provides a chic and unique experience
This beautiful hotel in downtown Savannah comes to life with the help of its muse Adelaide Harcourt. World traveller, native Savannian and artist, she has curated a wonderful collection of local artworks to enhance the cosy southern style of this hotel.
Rooms and communal spaces are a gorgeous array of colour, style and form which is echoed throughout the building in its dining areas and rooftop pool and terrace. There are three dining options; the upmarket Emporium and Wine Market, the high-end yet quirky Wayward Bar and the classy rooftop Peregrine. All serve thoughtful locally inspired and sourced dishes along with a wonderful selection of wine and contemporary cocktails.
To make sure you look and feel sufficiently breezy and beautiful there is a well-equipped fitness centre, amazing rooftop pool and Muse, a gorgeous boutique store full of carefully selected outfits and accessories. This hotel is a real boutique experience for humans and pets, an absolute treat!
- To book, check prices or availability for Perry Lane Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Savannah
2. The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront, Autograph Collection – a trendy modern design hotel located on a riverfront
Nestled on the cobbled streets of historic Savannah on the breathtaking riverfront The Bohemian is a colonial-style hotel which ticks all the boxes.
It is a perfect location, close to all the attractions and the rooms are comfy and aesthetically lovely, with big windows offering fantastic views and curated artworks adorning the walls. Rocks on the River serves up hearty, contemporary Southern comfort food and Rocks on the Roof offers wonderful cocktails with views over the city.
Georgian hospitality is paramount here and the friendly staff will ensure you have everything you need to get the most out of your stay.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront, Autograph Collection
3. The DeSoto Savannah – a hip hotel where guests can explore a rooftop pool
Savannah really has the art gallery/ hotel vibe down and The DeSoto is just that. This historic hotel has been a city landmark for 130 years and hosted some top names in its time, including multiple American Presidents.
The building has retained many of its original features including terracotta tiles and Crystal chandeliers. Wound in with these antiques is an amazing collection of contemporary art and bright spacious rooms surrounding a courtyard and outdoor pool.
The perfect blend of luxury, comfort and historic southern charm it’s no wonder the hotel is award-winning, come and try it out for yourself and drink in this unique southern city, jump on a troll up or a riverboat, gorge on perfectly prepared southern cuisine, stroll the cobbled streets and then come back to unwind with an oak-aged cocktail in Proof and Provision or a cafe Au Lait at Bayou.
- To book, check prices or availability for The DeSoto Savannah
4. Olde Harbour Inn, Historic Inns of Savannah Collection – a unique historic chic hotel that was originally built as a warehouse
You know me, I’m a sucker for a bit of history and Olde Harbour Inn has it in spades! Originally built in 1812 as a wharf-side storage warehouse the Inn’s long life has been blighted by fire and other minor catastrophes before it was fully renovated in 1987 and opened as a historic inn.
Fans of the spirit world might like to stay here and meet Hank, the resident ghost or perhaps like me you’ll just enjoy the amazing nautical-themed rooms and original features such as exposed beams and brickwork, or the fact that you can add wine to your booking and get ice cream treats delivered to your room!
The Olde Harbour Inn has been voted most pet-friendly hotel in Savannah too, so if you’re bringing a four-legged pal, this is the place for you!
- To book, check prices or availability for Olde Harbour Inn, Historic Inns of Savannah Collection
5. The Drayton Hotel – a boutique-style 19th-century hotel located right in the heart of Savannah’s historic district
Set in the heart of Savannah’s historic district, The Drayton is an intimate boutique hotel. The 50 carefully thought out rooms each frame a wonderful city view and bring that image inside to reflect in the furnishings and artworks, reclaimed wood floors and cosy details of the interior space.
The wonderful foliage-rich lobby makes you feel instantly welcome and provides a tranquil retreat from the bustle outside. Foodies will love the locally sourced seafood dishes at St Neo’s Brasserie followed by cocktails with panoramic views up
- To book, check prices or availability for The Drayton Hotel
6. Kimpton Brice Hotel, an IHG Hotel – a fun, trendy and dynamic hotel perfect for Millenials and Gen Zs
Kimpton Brice is like the best kind of present, traditional on the outside and marvellous and surprising inside. The historic building hides a cosy chic modern interior full of little touches like a well-stocked library and a peacefully shady secret garden. Foodies can enjoy delicious Italian fare made from locally sourced ingredients, served up alongside cocktails in the welcoming surroundings of Pacci Restaurant & Bar.
Situated in the heart of the National Historic Landmark District, close to famous River Street and City Market, Kimpton Brice is the perfect base for exploring Savannah’s treasures.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kimpton Brice Hotel, an IHG Hotel
7. Mansion on Forsyth Park, Kessler Collection – an upscale hotel that features marble bathrooms and a heated outdoor pool
This splendid independent hotel complete with gothic arches and Romanesque turrets sits on the edge of Forsyth Park, a true Savannian landmark. Built in 1888 the Mansion was the private residence of the Lewis Kayton Family, its decor still pays homage to that period of luxury. In the 1950’s the mansion became a funeral parlour, Savannah’s finest mortuary in fact, and remained so for 50 years, hosting the bodies of many of Savannah’s elite and a few notorious characters.
Of course, this adds a delicious spookiness to staying here, viewing parlours were transformed to dining rooms and the embalming room became the restroom of the trendy Casemir’s Cocktail Lounge next door. Enjoy fine dining Savannah style in the 700 Draycott, learn to cook your favourites at the 700 Cooking School, or feel like an old-fashioned gentleman in the leather armchairs of the Bösendorfer Lounge.
Feast your eyes on the fabulous collection of historical hats and curated artworks, swim in the outdoor heated pool or rent a bike and explore the old city. Olde worlde luxury with new world amenities that will make your stay in The Hostess City as perfect as it can be.
- To book, check prices or availability for Mansion on Forsyth Park, Kessler Collection
8. The Alida, Savannah, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel – a charming and distinctive boutique hotel that has a contemporary furnishings
Experience timeless luxury on Savannah’s historic riverfront at this home away from home. The Alida offers big, bright, airy rooms that are flooded with light thanks to the enormous windows, which offer wonderful views across the river.
There are four in-house dining options too; Expect southern hospitality and soul food at Rhett, small plates and craft cocktails at Lost Square and The Pool Bar, or a friendly whiskey at The Trade Room.
The unique hotel also offers an excellent in room menu fresh from The Rhett, if you don’t fancy venturing out. Modern luxury mixed with olde world hospitality makes this place the perfect venue for a city break or romantic weekend in the jewel of Georgia.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Alida, Savannah, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel
9. JW Marriott Savannah Plant Riverside District – a quirky chic hotel that is one of Savannah’s favorites
This unique hotel complex features 3 individual buildings, each with their own specific character. Once a working power station the building is a perfect example of industry and progress that has been thoughtfully renovated to blend luxury and timeless elegance with a chic industrial style.
There is a fantastic gym, a spa to pamper yourself in and a plethora of dining options onsite, offering everything from Brunch to Baobabs and still more fantastic options nearby in the lively and popular riverside district. Gorgeous spacious rooms with amazing views of the city mean that you’ll have a really memorable stay.
- To book, check prices or availability for JW Marriott Savannah Plant Riverside District
10. TRYP by Wyndham Savannah – a trendy and funky hotel that is within walking distance to museums
Next to all the historic landmarks including Forsyth Park, Savannah College of Art and The Mighty Eighth Airforce Museum, this modern hotel is a great option as a base for all your explorations.
City Market and Sorrel Weed House, the most haunted in the city, are also nearby. Rooms are comfy with a well-stocked mini bar and Keurig Coffee Maker and hot breakfast is available at the on-site restaurant. A good mid-price base to enjoy the city from.
- To book, check prices or availability for TRYP by Wyndham Savannah
11. Azalea Inn and Villas – a historic chic style B&B uniquely designed with Southern features
If you like to feel at home wherever you go then this gorgeous cosy B&B next to Forsyth Park is the place for you. Each boutique room is decorated in its own style but all incorporate wonderful one of a kind antiques and luxurious comfortable beds and private bathrooms.
The Inn has all these beautiful nooks and crannies, old-style porches and secret gardens where you can sit quietly and contemplate the day. The food is seasonal southern soul on a plate, prepared by the on-site chef and guests can enjoy spa treatments, afternoon tea, barbecues on the porch or a shady stroll around the fishpond.
Off-site the staff at The Azalea will help you with city tours, bike rentals, river cruises and all sorts of other activities. A boutique treat for lovers of the unique.
- To book, check prices or availability for Azalea Inn and Villas
12. Hotel Indigo Savannah Historic District, an IHG Hotel – a renowned hotel that is minutes away from cool shops
Stay in The ‘Grand Lady of the Bay’ with all the comforts and assurance of a well-known chain. The Hotel Indigo is a boutique hotel situated in a 19th Century dry goods storage warehouse, rooms are pet-friendly, full of comforts and unique, communal spaces are hip and modern with a nod to the building’s history.
The hotel is located in the perfect spot, right in historic downtown near all the notable sights. There are many cool dining options and bars nearby as well as a hot breakfast served daily and an on-site bar and restaurant if you don’t fancy going out. A great and quite fun hotel with friendly staff, all the mod cons and the added bonus of being in an amazing historic building!
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Indigo Savannah Historic District, an IHG Hotel
13. The Cotton Sail Hotel Savannah – Tapestry Collection by Hilton – an attractive hotel that has a convenience store on-site
The Cotton Sail is situated on historic River Street in an old cotton warehouse. The interior is modern luxury but carefully maintains echoes of the past.
There are two onsite options for dining, Riverhouse Seafood and the beautiful Rooftop Bar where you can enjoy small plates, charcuterie and tasty cocktails with some of the best views in the city! Luxury, Comfort and Style go hand in hand in this well-located hotel.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Cotton Sail Hotel Savannah – Tapestry Collection by Hilton
14. Sonder The Broughton – a chic and style aparthotel in perfect for longer stays in Savannah
If you like feeling a bit more independent when you’re away then this is an excellent option for you. The Broughton offers a selection of self-catering suites and apartments above the lively hustle of artisan shops and bars in the midst of the quaint squares and cobbled streets of the old town historic district.
A perfect place to relax and explore the city at your own pace with no ties to hotel schedules. The apartments are bright and airy with splashes of colour in the quirky art on the walls and thoughtfully selected soft furnishings.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sonder The Broughton
15. The Marshall House, Historic Inns of Savannah Collection – a special stay which was once voted the best Savannah hotel
Marshall House is one of the oldest hotels in Savannah and today the perfectly renovated hotel offers a slice of history, a time capsule to a different era but with no shortage of comfort and modern amenities. The original hotel was built in 1851 when the railway began to bring business to the city in great numbers.
It was used as a Union hospital at the end of the Civil War, and during the yellow fever epidemics in the mid-1800s. During the reconstruction period, it was home to Joel Chandler Harris, author of The Uncle Remus Stories. After falling into disrepair in the 50s it was eventually perfectly and lovingly restored in the late 90s. The place is really spectacular, from the original staircases to the wonderful courtyard atrium.
Scattered around are many treasures that were found during the renovations. The rooms are beautiful, with original doors, floors and fireplaces and decor to match… if that’s not enough reasons to stay it is also ideally located for exploring all the special places the historic city has to offer!
- To book, check prices or availability for Marshall House
We also have posts on…