Fun, buzzing, and known for gritty industrial heritage and its lively atmosphere, this student-centric spot in the English county of South Yorkshire draws visitors for its well-tended parks, beautiful green spaces, mineral springs, bucolic scenery, one-off museums, and impressive historical buildings.
Nature lovers can explore over 5,000 species of plants at Sheffield Botanical Gardens. History buffs can browse through centuries-old steel and silverware at Kelham Island Museum. Art enthusiasts can dive into historical and modern English art at Graves Art Gallery. Epicures will love the traditional street food on Abbeydale Road.
Luckily, Sheffield also happens to have great accommodation options. From Victorian hotels to unique boutique lodging options, here are my top cool and unusual hotels in Sheffield, England (in no particular order)...
1. Brocco On The Park Boutique Hotel – a chic, trendy and stylish, award-winning boutique hotel featuring a Michelin Guide-listed restaurant
A prominent name in Sheffield’s hospitality industry, Brocco On The Park Boutique Hotel is where you can have an all-inclusive holiday experience with Scandinavian touches. The 4-star hotel is housed in an Edwardian red brick villa located about two miles from the Crucible Theatre.
Scandinavian-inspired rooms come with hardwood floors, Nespresso coffee makers, and rainfall showers. Some rooms also include free-standing tubs, 4-poster beds, balconies, and/or sofabeds, while all rooms have flat-panel TVs and complimentary Wi-Fi. The hotel also boasts a hip bistro dishing up seasonal fare with Scandinavian influences.
Address: 92 Brocco Bank, Sheffield S11 8RS, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for Brocco On The Park Boutique Hotel
2. The Psalter – a unique, upscale and hip boutique hotel within walking distance of Sheffield Botanical Gardens and several beautiful parks
If you love Victorian vibes just as much as I do, The Psalter will delight you in many ways. Set in a Victorian building in the tree-lined suburbs of Nether Edge, this 2-star hotel is unbeatable when it comes to homeliness and comfort.
Streamlined layouts, minimalist vibes, and first-rate amenities define the genteel rooms at this low-key hotel. Rooms come with mini-fridges, smart TVs, coffee makers, and sitting areas.
Besides comfortable accommodations, The Psalter has a vibrantly decorated restaurant with a classy bar. What I find most attractive about this hotel is the subtle infusion of traditional charm in its modern interior.
Address: 178-180 Psalter Ln, Sharrow, Sheffield S11 8US, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for The Psalter
3. Miller & Carter Sheffield by Innkeeper’s Collection – a new, elegant and upscale hotel in close proximity to local popular attractions
Offering an all-inclusive experience right in the heart of Sheffield, Miller & Carter Sheffield by Innkeeper’s Collection is nothing short of a vacationer’s haven. As one of the latest additions to the city’s hospitality scene, this 4-star has become extremely popular among travellers looking for a well-balanced combination of homeliness and top-tier luxury.
Mahogany-beige accents complement the dark brown walls of elegant rooms equipped with top-end amenities. The Miller & Carter steakhouse, downstairs, will elevate your experience with its seasonal food menus, fantastic service, and warm ambience.
The luxury hotel sits on tree-lined Surrey Street in Sheffield City Center, with the famous Western Approaches Museum accessible within a 15-minute drive.
Address: Miller & Carter, 55 Surrey St, Sheffield City Centre, Sheffield S1 2LG, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for Miller & Carter Sheffield by Innkeeper’s Collection
4. Crowne Plaza – Sheffield, an IHG Hotel – a newly renovated, historic and elegant hotel housed in a Grade 2 listed building with a quiet location
Housed in a 19th-century red brick building on Victoria Station Road, Crowne Plaza features an interesting mix of historical elegance and modern lodging. The 4-star hotel is roughly a mile from Kelham Island Museum, with Sheffield Botanical Gardens reachable within a 3-minute drive.
Refined rooms include flat-panel TVs, coffee makers, and minibars. Suites, on the other hand, also offer separate living rooms and/or whirlpool tubs. If you lodge in higher-end quarters, you’ll enjoy access to a club lounge with complimentary breakfast and cocktails.
There’s also a stylish restaurant, a meeting and event space, a sauna, a lounge bar, a gym, and a dance studio.
Address: Victoria Station Rd, Sheffield S4 7YE, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for Crowne Plaza – Sheffield, an IHG Hotel
5. Garrison Hotel – a cosy, classic and unique hotel where guests can enjoy the award-winning, Insta-worthy gardens, sun terrace and tranquil atmosphere
A classic hotel set in a 19th-century military guardhouse, about two miles from the Crucible Theater. This is particularly a great option for vacationers who want a truly homey stay without frills.
Unassuming rooms feature coffee and tea-making equipment, flat-screen TVs, and complimentary Wi-Fi. Onsite dining options include a traditional eatery serving complimentary breakfast and evening meals, and a relaxed bar offering pub fare.
Address: Hillsborough Barracks, 635 Penistone Rd, Hillsborough, Sheffield S6 2GB, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for Garrison Hotel
6. Three Cranes Boutique Hotel – an industrial-chic, trendy and modern hotel in a location perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
Blending vintage charm with modern luxury, Three Cranes Boutique Hotel welcomes guests to a high-end lodging experience with amenities galore. Guests can choose from multiple accommodation options, ranging from standard suites with upscale facilities to superior residential suites with thoughtful extras.
The Bar & Restaurant, an onsite eatery, offers an eclectic Mediterranean-inspired menu with friendly service and a relaxed atmosphere. Though I loved everything about this charming boutique hotel, its ideal location in Sheffield City Centre is what prompted me to check in.
Address: 74 Queen St, Sheffield City Centre, Sheffield S1 2DW, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for Three Cranes Boutique Hotel
7. Ye Olde Mustard Pot – a traditional, cosy and authentic hotel offering guests a classic full English breakfast
Escape downtown commotion at this laid-back pub hotel based in an 18th-century, stone-sided building in a designated conservation area near Peak National Park.
There are three plain, TV-free rooms with en-suite bathrooms, iron beds, and tea and coffee-making equipment. Some rooms come with exposed-beam ceilings, exuding an industrial-chic vibe. The pub offers Full English Breakfast and British specialties in a no-frills setting.
Address: Midhope Hall Ln, Midhopestones, Sheffield S36 4GW, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for Ye Olde Mustard Pot
8. Leopold Hotel – a historic, charming and unique accommodation located in the heart of the city
Set in a converted 19th-century school building on Leopold Street, this top-grade hotel is a short drive from Sheffield Botanical Gardens, making it an excellent option for nature lovers.
From period-style passageways to warmly decorated rooms, I loved every element of the hotel’s interior. Amenities available in the rooms include mini-fridges with mineral water, flat-screen TVs, and iPod docks. Bi-level suites also include separate living areas and lounges.
With a contemporary lounge, a fitness studio, and a stylish bar available onsite, you will only want to laze around in the hotel.
Address: 2 Leopold St, Sheffield City Centre, Sheffield S1 2GZ, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for Leopold Hotel
9. The Dalbury – a contemporary, quiet and rustic-chic accommodation surrounded by an array of shops, bars and restaurants
Located on Wostenholm Road in Nether Edge suburbs, The Dalbury offers accommodation in unadorned units with cable TVs, tea and coffee-making equipment, and complimentary Wi-Fi.
The hotel’s proximity to Sheffield Botanical Gardens and Kelham Island Museum has made it popular among history buffs and nature lovers. The onsite restaurant serves authentic Italian fare in a cozy setting. Parking is complimentary, and so is breakfast.
Address: 40 Wostenholm Rd, Nether Edge, Sheffield S7 1LJ, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for The Dalbury
10. The Old Crown Inn – a quirky-chic, traditional and contemporary accommodation where guests can experience live music on the weekends
This family-run inn on London Road offers a funky yet warm atmosphere with top-notch service and all modern conveniences. From home-cooked meals to well-appointed bedrooms to hip vibes, The Old Crown Inn has so much you won’t find elsewhere in the city.
You can choose from four accommodation options, namely a twin room, double room, and triple room. Each unit includes smart TVs, coffee makers, and complimentary Wi-Fi.
The Old Crown Inn is a 6-minute drive from Bishop’s House.
Address: Old Crown Inn, 137 London Rd, Highfield, Sheffield S2 4LE, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for The Old Crown Inn
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Manchester
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Liverpool
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Leeds
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Blackpool
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in York
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Harrogate
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Whitby
Beth was born under a wandering star, with drama in her veins and ink in her pen. After stints studying theatre in Dublin and Utrecht she used her creative streak to see as much of the world as she could on as little money. She toured Italian Schools with a children’s theatre troop, lived as an au-pair in both Rome and Washington DC, explored the British countryside, worked her way through much of Europe, Salsa danced in Cuba and road tripped down America’s west coast where she discovered her spiritual home; Portland, Oregon. In between adventures she resides peacefully with her family, cats and ukulele.