Clinging to the cliffs of the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento is a charming town renowned for its natural beauty and rich history. It is a harmonious blend of ancient ruins, vibrant street life, and the sweet aroma of lemon groves.
Every time I visit Sorrento, its cobblestone streets and charming alleyways transport me to a bygone era, and its proximity to the islands of Capri and Ischia provides ample opportunities for adventure and indulgence.
Sorrento’s hotels shine majestically in the backdrop of the Mediterranean and range from intimate clifftop boutiques to opulent beachfront resorts. Here are my favourite cool and unusual hotels in Sorrento, Italy (in no particular order)…
1. Bellevue Syrene – a lavish, stunning and Instagrammable hotel in a location perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Radiating a grand Italian style with a fresh, opulent approach, this Vesuvius-facing bolthole is a romantic option atop a towering cliff in a quiet corner of the town centre.
Set on the site of a Roman villa, the cool marble hallways and impressive paintwork bring to light the museum-worthy antique pieces and Murano chandeliers. With its turquoise colour palette and designer touches, I thought the hotel echoed the essence of La Dolce Vita perfectly.
The glassed-in winter garden-style Club Lounge offered a truly convivial atmosphere, while the paradisiacal, wisteria-draped terrace was the perfect spot to embrace a balmy afternoon.
- To book, check prices or availability for Bellevue Syrene
2. Parco dei Principi – one of the first design hotels in Sorrento providing guests with a cool, trendy and vibrant stay
Cool, hip, and bang on trend, the seamless blend of this hotel’s colour scheme with the infinite blue of the sea exudes a dreamy and restful atmosphere.
This clifftop paradise is set away from the tourist crowds, so peace and quiet reign supreme. Immersed in three hectares of exotic gardens, the hotel’s pared-back 1960s aesthetic has been eloquently designed in dazzling blues and whites, and is graced by stunning showcases of exquisite pieces from local creators.
Divided by meandering pathways, the hotel’s extensive gardens gave me moments of serenity during my visit, and the beautiful saltwater pool was the most idyllic spot for an afternoon dip.
- To book, check prices or availability for Parco dei Principi
3. Antica Dimora Magi – a sleek, lavish and petite hotel neighbouring several bars, perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
This gorgeous 16th-century palazzo invites you to revel in the bygone beauty of Sorrento. The property retains its historical nature, with its revived architectural elements taking centre stage.
A unique Catalan-style staircase, bold decor, and custom-made furniture combine the charm of stone and marble with contemporary refinement, setting the scene for a unique hospitality experience.
The private garden, which comes with a Jacuzzi, coffee tables, and deck chairs, is the most idyllic spot to relish a breezy summer’s afternoon. Catering to those searching for an authentic dining experience, ancient recipes and traditions of local gastronomy add an air of elegance to the in-house restaurant.
- To book, check prices or availability for Antica Dimora Magi
4. Hotel Bristol – a beautiful, chic and trendy hotel featuring open-air dining and live entertainment
Nestled into the cliffside in one of the most enchanting corners of the coast, Hotel Bristol offers panoramic views, directly across the bay to the majestic Vesuvius.
The family presence gave us a warm welcome upon arrival, which extended to every nook and cranny within the property. The rooftop pool and solarium area was the source of incredible moments of downtime, and the refined Neapolitan menu in the 7th floor restaurant brought a touch of class to our evenings.
An open-air dining experience in the rooftop ‘La Pergola’ also accompanies mouth-watering delights, and a variety of musical entertainment is offered in the stylish Marina Bar.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Bristol
5. Hotel Cristina – a stylish and sleek hotel with hip features moments away from a spa and wellness center
Whether you’re in pursuit of a relaxing retreat or an adventurous vacation, Hotel Cristina is the perfect spot to revitalize body and mind.
I was immediately drawn to the beauty of nature by the large on-site terraces and the garden, which was surrounded by ancient olive trees. Overlooking the hills of the Sorrentine Peninsula, the panoramic restaurant was the source of many happy memories for my partner and I, as we had the chance to savour high-quality Italian dishes in a serene atmosphere.
A welcome experience was being able to use the spectacular wellness area of the sister property, Hotel Central, reachable with a free shuttle service.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Cristina
6. Grand Hotel Vesuvio – an elegant, family-friendly and bright hotel where guests can enjoy picturesque views overlooking the Gulf of Naples
This is one of my favourite Sorrento hotels, greeting couples, families, and groups of friends with a majestic charm. Rising in the embrace of the Gulf of Naples, The Vesuvio is furnished in a Mediterranean style and provides you with a semi-Olympic pool, a garden, a citrus grove, and a peaceful solarium.
Two further pools are available, one with access for children, and one with hydromassage jets. The rooms, boasting Vietri majolica floors, are bright and positioned strategically to take advantage of the splendid panoramas of the gulf.
I thought the breakfast was exceptional, which consisted of fresh local products and seasonal dishes.
- To book, check prices or availability for Grand Hotel Vesuvio
7. Grand Hotel Riviera – a retro, stylish and modern hotel within walking distance of the towns main square
As I arrived at the Grand Hotel Riviera’s fresh, bright reception, I was immediately met with an atmosphere of elegance. It was furnished with objects and paintings belonging to the classic 19th-century Neapolitan style, with cosy blue armchairs adding a Mediterranean flair.
As soon as I checked in, I spent the rest of the day by the pool, which is immersed in the resplendence of flowers, palms, and eucalyptus plants, in the backdrop of the sea.
This area exceeded all of my expectations, and came with a solarium, hydromassage jets, and a bespoke bar service. Additionally, the on-site Blue Bistrò is a vibrant spot accompanied by top-of-the-range cocktails and exquisite dishes. A private beach lies at the foot of the hotel, where you can reserve sunbeds, deckchairs, and snorkelling equipment.
- To book, check prices or availability for Grand Hotel Riviera
8. Grand Hotel President – a vibrant, art deco and peaceful hotel where guests can experience one of the most beautiful backdrops across Sorrento
Overlooking the Sorrento Peninsula and the Gulf of Naples, the Grand Hotel President offers one of the most beautiful panoramas in the area. Its backdrop has inspired great artists such as Caruso and Lucio Dalla, and makes it the most serene spot to kick back and soak up the region’s majesty.
The hotel is accompanied by the scents of the flowers and plants of the manicured garden, exuding the ultimate sense of relaxation. Whether I was tucking into gourmet cuisine in the renowned on-site restaurant, or sipping a cocktail on the terrace, every moment here was special.
The effervescent views can also be relished from the swimming pool, which comes with a hydromassage corner.
- To book, check prices or availability for Grand Hotel President
9. Grand Hotel Ambasciatori – a 5-star, upscale and elegant hotel where guests have the luxury of a private beach
Offering sweeping panoramas towards Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples, Grand Hotel Ambasciatori is graced by opulent interiors and classic-style furnishings.
In the leafy garden lies a shimmering pool, while at sea level there is another private bathing platform. The hotel is perched on the Sorrento cliffside, and was once the residence of a Piemontese nobleman.
Coral and sandy coloured armchairs and gleaming marble floors complement the high ceilings, and period furniture pieces sit elegantly within the sophisticated communal spaces. I was pleased to find a fully equipped wellness centre tucked away at the back of the garden, which feels more like a home than a spa, and even boasts a fireplace.
- To book, check prices or availability for Grand Hotel Ambasciatori
10. Grand Hotel La Favorita – a unique, new and 5-star hotel located in the heart of Sorrento
Combining a central location with an atmosphere of total quietude, this graceful five-star boutique is equipped with an expansive rooftop terrace, a pool, and a stunning restaurant.
The property is surrounded by sweeping sea views, and is adorned with a classical & breezy Mediterranean style. It is a contemporary twist on some of the traditional ‘Grand’ hotels in Sorrento, and the fine antiques and old-world artwork is contrasted by a white and blue colour scheme.
There is also a beautifully terraced garden planted with lemon trees and other exotic plants, inviting you to recline in a comfy chair and soak up a peaceful atmosphere.
- To book, check prices or availability for Grand Hotel La Favorita
11. Hotel Zi’ Teresa – a cozy, quiet and newly renovated hotel offering guests the flavors of local and international cuisine
This charming boutique, housed in a traditional yellow stone building, brings an air of opulence to your Sorrento vacation.
Located a short walk from the ancient and renowned square Tasso, Hotel Zi’ Teresa harmonizes the comforts and functionality of a refurbished hotel with the warmth and traditions of a historic abode. The restaurant offers outdoor seating in the backdrop of Vesuvius and the shimmering shoreline, and serves delicious local and national dishes.
The quaint garden, the pool area, and the solarium at the top of the hotel are all steeped in elegance and glamour, and offer luxurious spaces to soak up an authentic atmosphere.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Zi’ Teresa
12. Sorrento Dream Resort – an upscale, Insta-worthy and new boutique B&B in close proximity to local popular attractions
Situated a few steps from the city centre with a spectacular view of the ocean azure, this lavish abode invites you into an elegant and refined setting, with a direct descent to pristine beaches.
After an action-packed day exploring the town, you can rediscover peace and well-being in the hotel’s spa, and be enchanted by a unique ambiance. One of my favourite features, however, was the peaceful garden, where I spent hours reading a book in harmony with the sounds of nature.
During golden hour, you are invited to head to the panoramic terrace, to let yourself be awe-inspired by a majestic sunset over the Gulf of Naples.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sorrento Dream Resort
13. Maison La Minervetta – a cool, quirky and unique accommodation offering guests a private entrance to a fishing village with a variety of restaurants
This laid-back hip boutique hotel offers one of the most stylish spots in the Sorrento area. Its bright and breezy Mediterranean look beautifully contrasts its 1950s architecture, while hand-painted Vietri tiles and quirky ceramics are offset by luxe white paintwork and large panoramic windows.
Comfy sofas and piles of books adorn the open-plan sitting rooms, while the terrace down the cliffside comes with a whirlpool and sun loungers. My room came with wraparound windows and a quaint balcony, and the jazzy, nautical look was defined by bold stripes and marine paintings.
Further in-room offerings include Bang & Olufsen sound systems, customized Frette linens, and gleaming tiled bathrooms supplied with state-of-the-art amenities.
- To book, check prices or availability for Maison La Minervetta
14. Boutique Hotel Helios – a Mediterranean-inspired, modern and chic accommodation located near the most popular area on the peninsula
Situated just a short walk from the centre of Sorrento, this graceful boutique flaunts elegantly furnished rooms dressed in Mediterranean colours, decorated with bespoke local furniture. A handful of open-air spaces are steeped in a vivid colour-concoction of verdant greenery and ocean azure, and gave us the perfect opportunity to soak up the surrounding majesty.
A panoramic terrace invites you to kickstart your day with a hearty breakfast, while the peaceful pool with solarium is the perfect spot to relish a blissful, sun-drenched afternoon. At Boutique Hotel Helios, guests are also assisted in arranging epic excursions, which include tours of the Amalfi coast, Pompei, and Capri island.
- To book, check prices or availability for Boutique Hotel Helios
15. Maison Blu – a newly renovated, hip and bright accommodation surrounded by an array of activities
This eclectic gem is housed in a 17th-century building in the heart of Sorrento. The dazzling blue and white floors mimicked the essence of the surrounding sea, setting the tone for a holiday of soul-stirring vibrancy.
Each room or apartment comes with plenty of seating space, contributing to a sense of total seclusion. A step outside the property lands you within a maze of winding streets, where a bountiful array of artisan cafés and boutiques are at your fingertips.
From my room, I peeked out over the roofs of the city, with the glistening ocean azure forming an iridescent backdrop.
- To book, check prices or availability for Maison Blu
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Rome
- Cool boutique hotels in Milan
- Cool boutique hotels in Venice
- Cool boutique hotels in Siena
- Cool boutique hotels in Turin
- Cool boutique hotels in The Dolomites
- Cool boutique hotels in Barcelona
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Sardinia
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Naples
- Cool and Unusual hotels in The Amalfi Coast
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Capri
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.