Founded by the Spanish in 1565, St. Augustine is the oldest European-built city in the US and you’ll see traces of this past everywhere: in the 17th-century stone fortress, the narrow, cobbled streets and Spanish architecture in the historic district, the museums, and the pirate and ghost tours.
Visit the famous Castillo de San Marcos, Ponce de Leon’s “Fountain of Youth,” go kayaking with dolphins, or take a cruise on a sailing ship. There are beautiful Atlantic beaches to enjoy the sun and surf, and sophisticated dining to wind up the day.
Accommodations include luxurious bay-facing hotels, spa resorts and historic inns. These are the best cool and unusual hotels in St. Augustine (in no particular order)…
1. voco St Augustine Historic Area, an IHG Hotel – a cool, modern and trendy hotel near popular points of interest
Within walking distance of the historic area of St Augustine, this fantastic luxury hotel blends modern elegance with classic art deco style to create something completely unique.
Located on peaceful Anastasia Island, just steps from the famous Bridge of Lions, rooms here are light, bright and comfortable, with all the amenities you need.
A gym and quality dining are also available, along with an outdoor pool and a fitness center, creating a beautiful space to enjoy as you explore this fantastic area.
- To book, check prices or availability for voco St Augustine Historic Area, an IHG Hotel
2. Villa 1565 – Saint Augustine – a unique, creative and stylish boutique hotel close to major sights
A boutique hotel that takes the best of historic St Augustine and puts it all together to provide the ultimate unique hotel experience.
Just steps from the famous Bridge of Lions, this historic hotel looks fabulous with its Spanish architecture, with rooms blending classic elegance and modern comfort.
At the heart of the hotel square is a 650-year-old Oak tree, resplendent at any time of year, with outside pool dining options and lovely places to relax indoors and outdoors, this hotel is perfectly placed for the attractions of this wonderful area.
- To book, check prices or availability for Villa 1565 – Saint Augustine
3. Marker 8 Hotel and Marina – a modern, nautical-themed hotel that is within walking distance from the famous historic district of St. Augustine
Sitting at the gateway to downtown, this is a fun hotel that brings together the elegance of the historic district with the modern luxury we expect from our boutique hotels today.
As befits the nation’s oldest city, Marker 8 gives you a taste of that tradition with retro hotel style and superb service at all times.
You can enjoy dining overlooking the bay and enjoy a spa pool and more. Luxury and tradition in one, Marker 8 is an experience you won’t forget.
- To book, check prices or availability for Marker 8 Hotel and Marina
4. Renaissance St. Augustine Historic Downtown Hotel – one of the most Instagrammable hotels in St Augustine
With its traditional wooden façade and broad open balconies, Renaissance may be a new hotel, but it looks like it stepped straight out of a history book.
All the old-world charm you want with an arrangement of modern amenities to create a luxury hotel that has everything.
Inside you can see the classic influence, but are surrounded by wonderful, modern elegance and luxury, with an on-site restaurant complimenting the many world-class eateries found throughout the historic district.
A fitness center and outdoor pool keep you active. If you like the idea of historic hotels with all the modern amenities, this is the place for you.
- To book, check prices or availability for Renaissance St. Augustine Historic Downtown Hotel
5. Ocean Sands Beach Inn & SPA – a chic and modern beachfront hotel where pets are welcome too
Sitting right on the beach with stunning views across the rolling ocean waves, is there a better location for a luxury hotel anywhere in the area?
Contemporary design and an eye for detail create welcoming, comfortable rooms that have plenty of light and space, perfect for relaxing after a day on the beach.
Each room has a refrigerator and microwave, while this modern hotel features lovely touches such as board games available in the lobby, an outdoor pool and more. Just 4 miles from historic St Augustine, it’s the perfect place for a relaxing stay.
- To book, check prices or availability for Ocean Sands Beach Inn & SPA
6. Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection – a quirky-chic historic resort ideal for a romantic stay
A stunning historic hotel that brings together the best of the past with modern luxury and service.
Period style is everywhere, not just the rooms, but the lobby area and the building itself, with its castellations and more.
A spa is perfect for a relaxing day, or maybe you prefer a day on the beach, its just steps from the hotel, your own private paradise to enjoy. An art hotel, Casa Monica is also home to a gallery with regular exhibitions, making this majestic hotel the perfect choice for your stay.
- To book, check prices or availability for Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection
7. The Flagler Inn – Saint Augustine – an eco-friendly boutique hotel set in the heart of Saint Augustine
Situated in the historic area of St Augustine, this quirky hotel offers modern elegance with a twist, adding color and interest to every room to create something both comfortable and unique.
Service is always to the highest standards, making it a wonderful base to enjoy the many attractions to be found in St Augustine.
An outdoor pool and fitness center take care of your workout regime, but if you prefer something more relaxing, there is a library where you can find the ideal book to spend your day with. With the Ripley’s Red Train stopping right outside, this is a fine choice for easy access to the sights.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Flagler Inn – Saint Augustine
8. Carriage Way Inn Bed & Breakfast – a romantic adult-only B&B that offers a historic inspired Victorian decor
This historic inn is just steps from Old St George Street and the stores, museums and dining you can find there. Rooms offer a period style, creating majestic places to relax after a day seeing the many attractions in the area.
In many ways, this themed hotel is like stepping into the past, but it maintains the modern luxuries we all take for granted.
A hot breakfast is served every day, and a concierge service can help you make the most of your stay. If you want to see St Augustine as it was, then this is the boutique hotel that can provide all that and more.
- To book, check prices or availability for Carriage Way Inn Bed & Breakfast
9. Bayfront Westcott House Bed & Breakfast – an upscale B&B with a Mediterranean style and a gorgeous veranda
Overlooking the spectacular bay, this award-winning hotel has been voted the number one TripAdvisor rated B&B in the country. Its easy to see why, stunning views are matched by truly luxurious accommodation, blending period style with modern comforts.
If you are looking for a romantic hotel for your next trip, this has it all. Enjoy champagne on the deck as you watch the sin go down, nothing can compare.
Fantastic breakfasts get you off to the best start every day, with a great afternoon social hour with snacks too. Its well placed for the restaurants and attractions of the area too.
- To book, check prices or availability for Bayfront Westcott House Bed & Breakfast
10. St George Inn – Saint Augustine – a charming boutique hotel located on a pedestrian-only street
Sitting on the pedestrian-only St. George Street, the heart of this, the oldest city in the country, the St George Inn has a quiet elegance, with rooms that give spectacular views across the city, placing you right at the center of this wonderful area and its many attractions.
A retro hotel, rooms here have period style but bring with it modern luxurious touches that make staying here a pleasure. The Bin 39 wine bar is on-site and a great place to hang out, while there are excellent dining choices all within an easy walk.
- To book, check prices or availability for St George Inn
11. Hilton Saint Augustine Historic Bayfront – a stylish hotel close to the historic Spanish Quarter’s main shops and restaurants
With a colonial-inspired style and sitting between Castillo de San Marcos and the Bridge of Lions, Hilton Saint Augustine is a wonderful modern hotel that offers luxurious cottage-style accommodations within magnificent surroundings.
A retro hotel that is a great place to come back to after exploring the forts and history in the area, the views over the Matanzas Bay are the perfect way to end any day.
An onsite restaurant, outdoor pool. Fitness center and concierge service all make staying here a pleasure, while access to EV charging is a great addition and one I hope we see more of.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hilton Saint Augustine Historic Bayfront
12. Casa de Suenos B & B – a highly rated bed and breakfast that offers great facilities including a tennis court
A wonderfully romantic hotel located right in the historic district, set among the sights and attractions that make St Augustine such a great place to visit. From the hotel, the fantastic restaurants, museums and architecture of the city are all just a short walk away.
Each room is unique, but all share a bright, airy feel and lovely, comfortable furnishings that make you feel right at home.
A historic hotel that offers wonderful spaces both indoors and outdoors to relax, along with a cooked breakfast every day, it’s a great choice for those who want a more relaxed experience.
- To book, check prices or availability for Casa de Suenos B & B
13. Casa de Solana Bed and Breakfast – a colorful, quirky chic, and romantic inn to stay that offers individually decorated rooms
Take a step back in time with this magnificent romantic hotel that delivers old-world charm with timeless romance for a stay you will never forget.
The seventh-oldest house on the oldest street in St. Augustine, this historic hotel brings an elegant and intimate experience, where life is a little slower, a little quieter, and you have more time for each other.
With just 10 luxurious rooms, this boutique hotel offers spectacular accommodation, each room unique and with its own personality. Whichever you choose, service is second to none, while delicious breakfasts get you ready for a day exploring this fantastic city.
- To book, check prices or availability for Casa de Solana Bed and Breakfast
With just 14 opulent rooms that feature a combination of genuine antique and reproduction furniture to give a wonderful retro hotel feel, The Kenwood Inn is a luxury hotel unlike any other.
The difference is the service, this is a romantic hotel that understands the importance of being there when you need them but invisible when you don’t.
Breakfast is cooked freshly every day, and really gets you ready to take on the attractions of the city. Just south of the Bridge of Lions, Kenwood is within easy reach of most of the restaurants, museums and sights you want to explore. A true luxury hotel experience, it’s a place you will never forget.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Kenwood Inn
15. Bayfront Inn – one of the best waterfronts inn that offers rooms with panoramic views
Enjoy the waterfront culture of the bay and the wonder of the historical district at the same time when you stay at this wonderful, luxury hotel.
While the hotel can’t match the four hundred years of history some of the buildings in the historic district can boast, it has been serving visitors to the area since the 1940s.
Rooms offer retro style, with quality furnishings and superb service making every stay a comfortable one. Sit outside in the pool and watch the boats in the bay, while fantastic breakfasts are included, and world-class dining is never more than a walk away.
- To book, check prices or availability for Bayfront Inn
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Naples FL
- Cool boutique hotels in Orlando
- Cool boutique hotels in Tampa
- Cool boutique hotels in Fort Lauderdale
- Cool boutique hotels in Miami
- Cool boutique hotels in Savannah
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Jacksonville
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Key West
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Tallahassee
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Vero Beach
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Sanibel Island
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Daytona Beach
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Gulf Shores, Alabama
Born and raised in Brazil, Gaby has always had a taste for the intriguing, the off-beat and the far flung. After travelling around most of South America, living in Spain and Italy and then moving to England, her feet have stayed continually twitchy. Studying for a degree in Spanish translation and then learning five more languages only poured more fuel onto her travelling ardor.
Gaby likes nothing better than discovering new destinations and meeting the locals, tasting the cuisine and hearing about the local stories. Her other indulgences include French cinema, boxing, photography, colourful manicures and soaking up the rays on a sun-infused beach. She counts Rio de Janeiro, Rome, Barcelona, Lisbon and Cornwall as her most favourite places in the world.