A heady blend of alpine experiences and cosmopolitan elegance, St. Moritz is known to transform a winter getaway into a high-life ideal, through its exquisite urban flair set against an alpine backdrop.
In St. Moritz, a blissful combination of sport, nature, lifestyle, and glamour outshines some of the world’s greatest cities, and its superb culinary extravagance has been the playground of the rich and famous for well over a century.
The charming ambiance which suffuses this eclectic mountain resort is radiated seamlessly through its chic, elegant accommodation offerings. From artistic boutiques to grand historic masterpieces, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in St. Moritz, Switzerland (in no particular order)…
1. Art Boutique Hotel Monopol – a unique, modern and funky hotel which makes a perfect base for partying Millenials and Gen Zw
Art Boutique Hotel Monopol invites you to immerse yourself in a relaxed, cosmopolitan atmosphere. This cosy oasis of luxury is the perfect spot for those who want to be in the thick of things, and puts you within an arm’s reach of all the trendy boutiques and artisan cafés of St Moritz town centre.
Large-scale, avant-garde pop art and modern touches of glamour surround the interior, and encapsulate the extravagant soul of the hotel.
Radiating the array of exciting artworks are the exquisite Italian restaurant MONO, the luxurious wine cellar La Catrina, 73 commodious guestrooms and suites, and a lavish rooftop spa.
- To book, check prices or availability for Art Boutique Hotel Monopol
2. Giardino Mountain – an upscale, quirky and vibrant hotel where guests can enjoy gourmet cuisine prepared by a Michelin-star chef
Combining traditional luxury with absolute freshness, this stunning five-star hotel is the perfect base camp for mountain explorers, offering a unique twist on the graceful resorts which line this charming alpine town.
Girdled by walls that date back as far as the 1800s, high-quality materials and hand-picked furniture evoke a unique sense of modernity.
The impeccable spa area provides a comprehensive selection of beauty treatments, gyms, pools, and saunas, while yoga and meditation sessions are also offered.
From a chic haven for sports enthusiasts to a sophisticated suite for total tranquillity, the accommodation options at this stylish hotel are catered to all types of traveller.
- To book, check prices or availability for Giardino Mountain
3. Sternwarte by Randolins – a cute and cozy and creative accommodation providing guests with a unique experience
Set in a former observatory at 2000 metres above sea level, a one-of-a-kind overnight experience is offered with direct views of the starry skies and Engadin mountains at Sternwarte, a unique composition under the Randolins umbrella.
Whilst gazing out of a window in the closed dome, guests can enjoy all the amenities of a high-end hotel, which include a delicious breakfast buffet, a wellness area, and a free shuttle service. On request, a table can be reserved in the a la carte restaurant Stüvetta.
This family-run hotel is located directly at the famous Suvretta ski slope, and the room fits organically into the awe-inspiring surrounding landscape.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sternwarte by Randolins
4. Hotel Laudinella – a newly renovated, chic, modern and quiet hotel overlooking the lake, surrounded by mountains
Comprised of three individual hotels located close together, Hotel Laudinella blissfully blends the art of living, relaxing, and experiencing.
Located in the centre of St Moritz a stone’s throw away from some of the world’s most renowned slopes, an elegant interior design boasts traditional mountain architecture with lots of woordworks and a local Grisons style.
During a stay at this eclectic hotel, you will be pampered in a lavish wellness area where you can indulge in breathtaking Engadin mountain views. The hotel embodies its claim to deep relaxation through state-of-the-art culinary delights in the various on-site restaurants, where a stunning combination of local and international fare is served.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Laudinella
5. Grand Hotel des Bains Kempinski – a 5-star, upscale and iconic hotel steps away from the Signalbahn cable car and legendary Hahnensee ski run
Set on a natural spring prized for its healing properties, Grand Hotel des Bains Kempinski is St Moritz’s oldest and largest five-star hotel, built in 1864.
19th -century touches are interspersed amongst classy, contemporary interiors, with ornate balustrades in the double-height lobby designed to reconstruct the glamour of its original era.
Ski-themed artwork embellishes the gold-accented in-room palette, while a modern take on a chalet-style lodge is expressed through blonde woods, designer lighting, and grey slate bathrooms.
A delicious continental breakfast is served in the Grand Restaurant Les Saisons alongside a resident pianist, while the scarlet-tinged lobby bar further evokes a blissful spot of relaxation.
- To book, check prices or availability for Grand Hotel des Bains Kempinski
6. Badrutt’s Palace Hotel St Moritz – a grand, Insta-worthy, elegant and stylish hotel perfect for an upscale stay
Combining traditional splendour with Mayfair sheen, this Gothic-style landmark maintains its sense of history, sharing a nod to its 1896 roots.
The ecclesiastical lobby is embellished by stunning examples of 19th-century Italian art, while the traditional breakfast salon and timber-beamed ‘La Coupole’ restaurant are juxtaposed against modern trappings such as the opulent spa experience.
The guestrooms are decorated in plush materials, and furnished with Bose docking stations and dehumidifier, while large rainfall showers and standalone baths elaborate the swanky marble bathrooms.
A subterranean nightclub is the optimum offering for partygoers, while the stylish restaurants invite you to let your tastebuds run wild in pure elegance.
- To book, check prices or availability for Badrutt’s Palace Hotel St Moritz
7. Hotel Steffani – a gorgeous and charming boutique hotel featuring a spa area which includes an indoor pool, sauna and steam room
Family-operated since 1869, Hotel Steffani invites you to become enchanted by the beauty of the Upper Engadin. Sharing a profound passion for tradition, the hosts are always on hand to offer invigorating itinerary ideas unfound on the web, and have expressed a keen eye for detail when designing the 60 rooms and suites.
Boasting local murals and plush materials, the charming array of single rooms to romantic suites offer an individual-appointed theme catered to all profiles of the modern traveller.
The contemporary pool & spa provides the optimum spot to rejuvenate mind, body, and soul, while a unique culinary journey offers market-fresh and homemade products in the on-site eatery.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Steffani
8. Carlton Hotel St Moritz – The Leading Hotels of the World – an award-winning, extravagant and lavish hotel well known for being the jewel of St. Moritz
This cool, palatial hotel boasts charming décor inspired by Russian tsars, with corridors decorated by the repeated motif of a double-headed imperial eagle.
Retaining the hotel’s original features and paying homage to its establishment in 1913, double-height ceilings, marble fireplaces, and traditional tapestries evoke a unique, historic charm.
Guestrooms are embellished by bespoke furnishings in complementary hues, and boast balconies with sweeping vistas over the stunning snow-capped peaks, offering an escape taken straight from the pages of a fairy tale.
From the pianist to the well-attired chauffeurs, the staff evoke a true sense of five-star attentiveness, and draw on decades of experience to offer a special experience to guests.
- To book, check prices or availability for Carlton Hotel St Moritz – The Leading Hotels of the World
9. Boutique Hotel Cervus – a contemporary, rustic-chic and cozy boutique hotel ideally located for those who love outdoor sports
This cosy alpine boutique boasts a supreme location only 400m from the Signal Cable Car. Its 27 guestrooms are individually furnished in lush, fragrant pine woods.
A minimalist mountain style suffuses the property’s interiors, embellished by a neutral colour palette and traditional hues. Every room enhances the alpine ambiance with tech-forward amenities, while some offer modern kitchenettes.
The relaxing warmth of the on-site sauna and indoor pool offers the ultimate spot of respite after an active day amid the beautiful landscapes of the Upper Engadin, while a lavish wellness area is topped by exquisite attention to detail.
- To book, check prices or availability for Boutique Hotel Cervus
10. Hotel Europa St. Moritz – an elegant, vibrant and spacious hotel ideal for a relaxing and rejuvenating stay
Here we have a charming reflection of the peaceful coexistence of people of all nations, nestled in the quiet, picturesque village of Champfèr. Surrounded by a fantastic mountain panorama, Hotel Europa offers the perfect location and infrastructure to enjoy a serene spot of requiescence.
The 105 guestrooms and suites invite you to feel at home and embrace sheer relaxation, where plush seating areas and opulent décor combine to form a blissful hospitality experience.
Brimming with top-rate facilities, the whole family will be entertained through a beautiful spa and wellness centre, a comprehensive array of outdoor activities, and a children’s playground.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Europa St. Moritz
11. Kulm Hotel St. Moritz – one of the most exclusive hotels in the world offering guests a 5-star, historic and pet-friendly stay
Opened in 1864, the grand traditional features of Kulm Hotel are reflected through large marble pillars, chintzy chandeliers, and red velvet sofas which decorate the well-appointed lobby.
The hotel’s esteemed sporting history is displayed through thoughtful artefacts in the corridors, and throughout the property there is a fierce focus on impeccable service.
The 172 guestrooms and suites are traditional in design, with heavy curtains and wooden furniture in keeping with the rest of the property. A stunning golf course also features at the hotel, while a myriad of winter and summer activities on offer include cross-country skiing and bobsleighing sessions.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kulm Hotel St. Moritz
12. Suvretta House – a lavish, grand and family-friendly hotel situated in a natural park
Existing within its own bubble of old-school luxury, the fairy-tale looks and traditional décor that define Suvretta House treat guests to a truly unique hospitality offering.
A ski school, tennis courts, three excellent restaurants, a wellness centre, and a swimming pool combine under one elegant roof, in the backdrop of serene, natural surroundings.
Many original features of the hotel’s 1912 origins remain, including the wood-panelled Grand Restaurant, and the triple-height arched windows which offer picture-perfect alpine views.
The 181 guestrooms vary in size and style, and all overlook the pistes or mountains. The hotel’s breakfast takes the concept of buffet to new heights, blending local cuisine with internationally inspired dishes.
- To book, check prices or availability for Suvretta House
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Zermatt
- Cool boutique hotels in Verbier
- Cool boutique hotels in Val d’Isere
- Cool boutique hotels in Tignes
- Cool boutique hotels in Courchevel
- Cool boutique hotels in Méribel
- Cool boutique hotels in Vienna
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Mayrhofen
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Ischgl
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Kitzbühel
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Interlaken
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Villars
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Grindelwald
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Arosa
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Andermatt
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.