Located between the world’s coolest cities in the Northwest, Tacoma is the smaller little sister but still has a vibrant urban core. Visit the underrated Washington gem located on the banks of Puget Soun and find yourself surrounded by a thriving art scene, awesome shops, trendy coffee shops, interesting museums, charming neighborhoods, diverse cuisine, friendly locals and world-renowned glass art all framed by a beautiful backdrop of Mount Rainier.
Its hotels are pretty funky too, from quirky boutiques to sleek and modern, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Tacoma, Washington…
1. McMenamins Elks Temple – a cool, hip and very Instagrammable accommodation perfect for partying Millenials and Gen Zs
McMenamins Elks Temple, located at 565 Broadway in Tacoma, delivers typical Northwest food in a room with a spectacular view. You simply cannot help but glance out the sweeping windows overlooking the Foss Waterway, but don’t forget to look up for a stunning display of chandeliers.
The 1916 Elks Temple has been refurbished and rebuilt as a lively gathering spot for both visitors and residents. You’ll discover entertainment at every corner, from the Old Hangout, a pub reminiscent of foreign journeys, to the Spanish Ballroom, a huge place offering live music.
The building incorporates elements of art, history, and the background of the locals. You’ll discover the pleasures of your favorite local bar and a world of excitement wherever you go inside Elks Temple.
- To book, check prices or availability for McMenamins Elks Temple
2. Hotel Murano – a funky and artful downtown design hotel where guests can take advantage of a spa and a wellness center
Hotel Murano is one of Tacoma’s best hotels, having a central position near downtown, retail stores, and museums. It’s a modern property filled with the exquisite glass artwork for which the city is known. The trendy hotel, in particular, has stunning glass artwork, with each level devoted to a different artist.
Though mostly a business-oriented hotel, there is something for everyone here, including a complete spa with a beauty parlor, a workout facility, and a modern restaurant offering cuisine all day – and you’ll even get a late breakfast on weekends.
The rooms at Hotel Murano are decorated in a simple, elegant style that complements the rest of the hotel. Contemporary art hangs on the white walls, and patterned throws offset the colorful sofas and white-leather headboards.
Even though the location of Hotel Murano is excellent, guests may choose to stay at the Silver Cloud Inn, which has rooms facing Commencement Bay.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Murano Tacoma
3. Silver Cloud Inn – Tacoma Waterfront – a unique boutique inn which is the only waterfront accommodation in Tacoma
The Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma is located just outside of Tacoma’s downtown core, directly on the waterfront, with stunning views of Puget Sound and Commencement Bay.
The hotel, which perched on stilts directly over Commencement Bay, is something of a novelty in this section of town. It’s sandwiched between two parks, and the location is a selling point in and of itself.
With comfy armchairs and sea views on each side, the light lobby creates an appealing, though plain, first impression.
It’s a facility with a lot of helpful small extras, including gluten-free options on the complimentary breakfast buffet, a free guest laundry area, and a weekly evening reception with beverages and snacks.
- To book, check prices or availability for Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma
4. Hotel Thea Tacoma, Ascend Hotel Collection – a newly renovated, urban-chic hotel that features an indoor pool
Hotel Thea Tacoma, Ascend Hotel Collection is perfectly situated off Interstate 5 in the center of the Puget Sound area, close to the Tacoma Art Museum, Tacoma Dome, Union Station, Tacoma Place, and the Tacoma Mall, offering the city’s finest sights within easy walking distance.
When traveling, you may stay connected by connecting to the complimentary Wi-Fi provided in guest rooms and shared areas.
In addition, the Hotel Thea has an indoor heated pool, a fitness facility, and free parking for vehicles, even trucks, and buses. Start your day with a complimentary Grab & Go breakfast every morning.
Several restaurant alternatives are close, making it simple to explore a local bistro or visit one of your favorite major restaurant chains during your vacation.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Thea Tacoma, Ascend Hotel Collection
5. Silver Cloud Hotel Tacoma at Point Ruston Waterfront – a modern and chic hotel that offers panoramic views
The Silver Cloud Hotel Tacoma at Point Ruston Waterfront, located at 5125 Grand Loop in Ruston, is still the only luxury hotel and spa along the north Tacoma waterfront.
This location provides stunning panoramic views of the Puget Sound coastline as well as the Olympic and Cascade Mountains. The hotel, located in the middle of a lively urban hamlet, offers upmarket restaurants, local boutique stores, shoreside walking routes, and the best in entertainment.
Silver Cloud Hotel Tacoma is ideal for your next holiday since it is only minutes from downtown Tacoma, a world-class golf course, and one of the region’s most renowned event locations.
- To book, check prices or availability for Silver Cloud Hotel Tacoma at Point Ruston Waterfront
6. Courtyard Tacoma Downtown – an awesome hotel located at the heart of Tacoma’s downtown
Courtyard Tacoma Downtown, located in the heart of Tacoma’s financial and theater districts, this upscale hotel is just steps from the city’s convention center, museums, popular restaurants and the University of Washington-Tacoma campus.
Trams run from the hotel to sights including the Tacoma Dome, the Chihuly Bridge of Glass, and the Washington State History Museum. After attending your meetings or touring, visitors may relax at the Bistro, which serves fresh dishes and distinctive beverages.
If you’re organizing an event e Cascade Ballroom, which opens into an urban park and has huge windows and modern décor, can seat up to 400 people.
- To book, check prices or availability for Courtyard Tacoma Downtown
7. Anderson Landing – a cool and unique holiday home, perfect for big gatherings
Anderson Landing is located in Tacoma, 12 kilometers from the Museum of Glass and 10 kilometers from the University of Puget Sound. It has free Wi-Fi and air conditioning. This vacation rental is 13 kilometers from Tacoma Dome and 17 kilometers from Pacific Lutheran University.
The vacation house contains two bedrooms, three bathrooms, bed linen and towels, a TV with cable networks, a formal dining area, a fully fitted kitchen, and a terrace with views of the sea. Skiing is also available nearby.
- To book, check prices or availability for Anderson Landing
8. Contemporary Tacoma Cottage with Deck and Pond – a spacious single-story cottage that offers modern decor
Contemporary Tacoma Cottage with Deck and Pond is situated 13.1 kilometers from the center of Tacoma. That is perfectly appropriate for a rural, eco-tour getaway.
This spacious single-story cottage is located within a gated neighborhood and features a sleek contemporary interior with top-of-the-line furniture, a clean kitchen, two terraces, and direct access to the quiet Purvis Pond.
If you go to town to visit the Puget Sound, go skiing, or stroll through Tacoma’s thriving downtown district, this Washington cottage is the ideal luxurious hideout!
- To book, check prices or availability for Contemporary Tacoma Cottage with Deck and Pond
9. Spacious Tacoma Getaway 2 Mi to Old Town! – a chic and modern vacation home nestled in a first-class location
Spacious Tacoma Getaway 2 Mi to Old Town is located in Tacoma, 6 km to the Museum of Glass and 2.1 km from the University of Puget Sound. It has free Wi-Fi and air-con available for you to enjoy. The Tacoma Dome is 7 kilometers away, while Pacific Lutheran University is 14 kilometers away.
The vacation house offers four bedrooms, a television with cable networks, and a fully installed kitchen with a dishwasher, a microwave, a washing machine, a refrigerator, and an oven. The holiday house provides towels and bed linen for convenience.
- To book, check prices or availability for Spacious Tacoma Getaway 2 Mi to Old Town!
10. COZY 2 BDRM APARTMENT Southend Tacoma – a comfy and quirky apartment that features a fully-equipped kitchen and a patio
The property is located in South Tacoma, 1 km from Tacoma Mall and 5 km from the Museum of Glass, and it has a terrace, garden, and free Wi-Fi. Tacoma Municipal Court is 6 kilometers away, as is the University of Puget Sound.
Just like the name suggests, the apartment contains two bedrooms, a flat-screen TV with cable networks, a fully furnished kitchen with a dishwasher and a microwave, a washing machine, and one bathroom with a shower. Towels and bed linen may be found in the flat.
It is a one-of-a-kind and romantic setting in which to unwind and rest after a long day. The hypnotic lighting and seductive mood will help you to create an intimate environment for artistic expression and amusement for all.
The hypnotic hues and cozy common room couches will make you feel so at ease that you won’t want to leave!
- To book, check prices or availability for COZY 2 BDRM APARTMENT Southend Tacoma
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Seattle
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Portland
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Sacramento
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Cannon Beach
- Cool and Unique Hotels in San Jose
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Santa Cruz
- Cool and Unique Hotels in San Francisco
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Napa Valley
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Vancouver
Gary is an award winning full time professional photographer and videographer with too much wanderlust for his own good. Fuelled by strong coffee, you’ll often find him wandering well off hiking trails in search of interesting photographic subjects or scenery to video. Self taught and with the use of pioneering digital techniques, he quickly built up a strong client base and has worked with many prestigious organisations, including GQ, BBC, London Fashion Week, Grazia, Sky, Metro, Vogue Italia. He specialising in evocative images of people, places and cinematic videography and his goal is to make the viewer look twice and engage. As well as a penchant for good design, the ketogenic diet and Hungarian Vizslas, he also has a huge affection for Chicago, Bucharest, Scandinavia, Croatia and absolutely everywhere in Italy. Find him on Instagram @garynansome, Twitter @garynansome and his website https://garynunn.co.uk/