Estonia’s vibrant capital of Tallinn is an exhilarating mix of old and new, seamlessly blending a modern vibe with a medieval charm.
The city’s burgeoning art scene has led to an abundance of artisan cafés, colourful boutiques, and coworking hubs, which exist alongside narrow cobblestone streets, Gothic architecture, and centuries-old landmarks. Tallinn also boasts a jaw-dropping landscape, with its coastline sprinkled with sandy beaches and quaint promenades.
Tallinn also boasts a charming and character-filled accommodation scene, with hotels ranging from beachfront boutiques to trendy downtown spa resorts. Here are my favourite cool and unusual hotels in Tallinn, Estonia (in no particular order)...
1. Oru Hub Hotel – a chic, newly renovated and stylish hotel within walking distance to the largest park in the capital
Oru Hub Hotel is an innovative design-led concept, bringing a co-working, convivial vigour to the modern traveller. The unique 1st floor hub offers a boutique environment to read, mingle, and relax, with hip décor backdropped by a luxurious aesthetic of light woods and potted plants.
My room was both practical and stylish, and offered a serene haven for a blissful night’s sleep. The hotel’s bistro invites you to savour extraordinary local and international cuisine in a charming environment graced by lots of light and quirky artwork.
Oru Hub also offers a supreme location, only a five-minute walk to the seaside promenade and 10-minutes to Tallinn’s vibrant business centre.
- To book, check prices or availability for Oru Hub Hotel
2. Hektor Container Hotel – a cool, trendy and eco-friendly accommodation perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
Offering an intimate home base for you to live, work, and socialize in, Hektor Container Hotel beautifully embodies the cultural dynamism of Tallinn.
The hotel’s innovative hip design is like a showcase of contemporary décor, and my room was bright and ultra-modern, yet blissfully cocooning.
As well as the state-of-the-art co-working spaces, the hotel offers a lobby bar, a kitchen, and soothing reading corners, where you will have the chance to rub shoulders with visionaries, locals, and cultural enthusiasts.
Sustainability is deeply embedded into the hotel’s ethos and undertakings, with natural products used in the bathrooms, bedrooms, and kitchen.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hektor Container Hotel
3. Rixwell Viru Square Hotel -a contemporary, rustic-chic and spacious hotel surrounded by the party nightlife scene
Set in the heart of the Old Town, Rixwell Viru Square Hotel is catered to budget-conscious travellers in pursuit of a historical experience.
Dating back to the 1950s, the hotel strikes a perfect harmony between the ancient and the modern. The interior décor is both captivating and uplifting, and is surrounded by a canvas of neutral colours and soft wooden hues.
An authentic Estonian culinary experience awaits in the hotel’s restaurant, fused by a combination of traditional and modern cooking techniques. The on-site café Rukis is dressed in metal, wood, and grain motifs, and offers a peaceful spot for home-made bites and top-of-the-range coffee.
- To book, check prices or availability for Rixwell Viru Square Hotel
Set on a central street lined with chic boutiques, grand townhouses, and hip restaurants, Hestia Hotel is enriched by an atmosphere of luxury and tranquillity.
The guestrooms were designed for both living and working, and come with a fully adjustable, ambient lighting system which sets the mood.
My room overlooked the beautiful Kentmanni Street from a private French balcony, and the interior decorations oozed a sense of modern sophistication.
Dining at Hestia Hotel is an artsy affair, with the restaurant festooned in charming décor, and serving epic European and Arabic dishes. The on-site spa is an oasis of peace and tranquillity, offering heated sun loungers, a Jacuzzi, and a steam room.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hestia Hotel Kentmanni
5. Kalev Spa Hotel & Waterpark – a fun, vibrant and family-friendly hotel boasting one of the biggest waterparks in Northern Estonia
Cosiness meets convenience at this 4-star family-friendly sanctuary, beautifully nestled in between the medieval streets of the Old Town and the greenery of Kanut Park.
This one-of-a-kind location, along with the hotel’s versatility of services, makes Kalev one of Tallinn’s most sought-after destinations.
Owing to a head-to-toe revamp, the blissful spa centre and state-of-the-art sports centre have been joined by brand new luxury establishments: A peaceful Sauna Oasis, a commodious meeting room, and a design-led restaurant.
The guestrooms combine nuances of nature with old traditions and modern beauty standards to create an accommodation experience that is truly unique.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kalev Spa Hotel & Waterpark
6. Metropol Spa Hotel – a spacious, elegant and contemporary hotel moments away from popular tourist attractions
During my stay at Metropol Spa Hotel, I was led to feel at home by the friendly, multi-lingual staff, who helped me draft the perfect city itinerary.
The hotel stands just a short walk away from the historic Old Town, the port, and many trendy shopping centres. The elegant guestrooms teem with understated luxury, and boast all the mod cons of a 5-star resort, including LCD TVs, fully stocked minibars, and lavish bathrooms.
Comfort and refinement are oozed in the restaurant and lobby bar Nomad, where a stylish character is combined with a bespoke service, topped with a modern twist.
- To book, check prices or availability for Metropol Spa Hotel
7. Palace Hotel Tallinn, a member of Radisson Individuals – a modern, glamorous and award-winning hotel steps away from Freedom Square and the Old Town
This is one of the most exciting and stylish buildings I have ever stayed in. Built in 1937, Palace Hotel is the perfect blend of historic splendour and modern extravagance, and exudes a friendly charisma in every corner of the property.
The 79 cocooning guestrooms boast extra-large beds, high-velocity Wi-Fi, and abundant space, catering to both the business traveller and the leisure seeker.
My room was blissfully backdropped by a majestic panorama of Freedom Square and the Old Town. Each morning you are invited to savour an Estonian-style buffet breakfast in The Gallery Restaurant, while Restaurant Konrad welcomes you in the evenings to indulge in classic European cuisine.
- To book, check prices or availability for Palace Hotel Tallinn, a member of Radisson Individuals
8. Hotel Telegraaf, Autograph Collection – a 5-star, upscale and historic hotel featuring a spa and wellness center
With Tallinn’s medieval square at your fingertips, Hotel Telegraaf is a sanctuary of five-star romance, and is one of the Old Town’s only hotels with spa facilities.
The fusion of the historic wing and a discreetly concealed new annex embraces a harmony between old and new, and a boutique feel is conveyed through the contemporary interior design features. I stayed in the historic wing, and my cocooning suite offered a spacious feel through high ceilings and a neutral colour scheme.
Meanwhile while the newer rooms are beautifully dressed in smart Nordic wood and offer French balconies. On-site you can indulge in a soul-soothing wellness experience, with a whirlpool bath, a sauna, and a steam bath at your disposal.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Telegraaf, Autograph Collection
9. Schlössle Hotel – The Leading Hotels of the World – one of the finest boutique hotels in Tallinn providing guests with a 5-star, unique and lavish stay
I thoroughly enjoyed the historic feel of Schlössle Hotel. Set in a delightfully restored 13th-century merchant’s house in one of the Old Town’s more tranquil quarters, the hotel has housed such revered guests as Queen Elizabeth II and rock band Status Quo.
The tasteful interiors don’t compromise on the hotel’s authentic and historic character, but instead add an intimate boutique flair.
A sense of history is accentuated at first by the lobby’s ceiling beams, and extended into the atmospheric cellar Stenhus Restaurant and the basement cigar lounge. Window alcoves and exposed wooden beams complement the luxurious furnishings in the guestrooms, which come with minibars, under-floor heating, and gleaming bathrooms.
- To book, check prices or availability for Schlössle Hotel – The Leading Hotels of the World
10. The von Stackelberg Hotel Tallinn – a historic, fancy and lifestyle hotel offering guests the luxury of a fine dining experience
I felt the storied past of this 1874 building immediately upon entrance. Historic stone walls, vaulted ceilings, and a large open-air courtyard exude bygone-era sophistication, and the guestrooms are dressed in smooth wooden hues and plush, traditional fabrics.
The limestone elements of the Emmeline & Otto restaurant-bar exude a sense of intimacy and warmth, setting a graceful tone for an evening of fine dining.
The on-site ZEN Spa concept blends Asian philosophies about harmony with an essence of contemporary comfort through modern facilities, girdled by beautiful, relaxing surroundings. A stay here puts you right on the edge of the medieval Old Town, a stone’s throw from the city’s numerous well-preserved landmarks.
- To book, check prices or availability for The von Stackelberg Hotel Tallinn
Located on the beautiful Viims Peninsula, Lavendel Spa Hotel beckons you to a tranquil retreat from the hustle and bustle of city life.
The peaceful surroundings create an idyllic place to combine work and relaxation. A funky purple lighting system adds a quirky nighttime vibe, and the interior decorations exude an informal atmosphere.
I thought the breakfast in the café each morning was exceptional, and the bistro’s weekday lunchtime menu offered the chance to savour unique gourmet delights. The stone-clad spa centre offers a handful of state-of-the-art facilities such as a sauna and a Jacuzzi, alongside customisable beauty treatments.
- To book, check prices or availability for Lavendel Spa Hotel
12. Rocca House by Larsen – a hip, sleek and design accommodation neighbouring Rocca al Mare Shopping Center
Owing to the spacious community spaces, exciting events, and friendly staff presence, every day at Larsen is a memorable experience in itself. Rocca House delights guests with an expertly curated design in its modern lofts and studios, all of which boast a private balcony. Catered to whole families, parents can let the kids play on the Xbox in the TV lounge or take part in table tennis competitions while they soak up the sun on the outdoor deck.
If you’re into shopping, Rocca House will be your dream destination, with one of Estonia’s largest malls just across the road.
- To book, check prices or availability for Rocca House by Larsen
13. Campus House by Larsen – a trendy, vibrant and fun accommodation perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
The stylish lofts, studios, and two-room units of Campus House bring an air of glamour to your Tallinn vacation. The dark green furniture and sleek seating areas emanate a sense of modern sophistication, complemented beautifully by the plush décor, crisp white linens, and luxury bathrooms.
Reflecting the fun-filled hallmark of the Larsen brand, here you can try your hand at a number of video games, as well as a bountiful array of outdoor activities and sports competitions.
The hotel’s swanky terrace invites you to kick back and relax as you relish an alfresco setting on a balmy summer’s evening.
- To book, check prices or availability for Campus House by Larsen
14. Iglupark – a unique, Instagrammable and chic accommodation perfect for a couple’s romantic getaway
Iglupark awaits you on the border of sea and land, in Tallinn’s most vibrant area. Three important facets of life are coalesced seamlessly here – work, recreation, and health.
A lot of my time was spend sat right outside my igloo, enjoying the endless horizon, relishing the fresh Baltic air, and indulging in an idyllic spot of ‘me-time’.
Iglupark is the perfect haven for a dreamy couple’s retreat, and the eclectic terraces and chill-out spaces invite travellers to share stories, embrace togetherness, and revel in sweeping ocean panoramas. The igloos are ultra-modern and are equipped with a kitchenette, a fridge, and tech-forward amenities.
- To book, check prices or availability for Iglupark
15. La Mare Boathouse, Tallinn – a quirky, petite and modern accommodation where guests can enjoy a beachfront location
One of Tallinn’s most unique properties, La Mare Boathouse is beautifully located on the beachfront. This charming boat property consists of 2 separate bedrooms, a bathroom, and a living room.
A nautical vibe is combined seamlessly with the essence of modern living, with the interiors clad in soothing fitted furniture, luxurious wooden elements, and neutral colours.
The boat’s terrace offers a gorgeous space to gaze over the water from either a jacuzzi or a swinging chair, inviting you to relish a secluded yet quintessentially outdoors atmosphere. In the boat there is also a sauna, where you can fully decompress.
- To book, check prices or availability for La Mare Boathouse, Tallinn
16. Pirita Beach Apartments & SPA – a family-friendly, petite and classic accommodation providing Insta-worthy views overlooking the Gulf of Finland
Situated in Tallin’s most prestigious district, Pirita Beach Apartments & Spa boasts sweeping panoramas of the Old Town and the Gulf of Finland.
Many yachts, boats, and cruise liners dot the surrounding vistas, while opportunities for beach & water sports are right at your fingertips.
When I stayed here, I spent many a day simply lounging around the hotel’s many outdoor hangout spaces, which include a terrace with Jacuzzi, a shimmering pool dotted with sun loungers, and plenty of plant-lined seating areas. During the summer, the hotel’s vicinity boasts many beach bars, cafés, and restaurants, providing bountiful opportunities to treat the palate.
- To book, check prices or availability for Pirita Beach Apartments & SPA
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Prague
- Cool boutique hotels in Budapest
- Cool boutique hotels in Helsinki
- Cool boutique hotels in Stockholm
- Cool boutique hotels in Krakow
- Cool boutique hotels in Zagreb
- Cool boutique hotels in Berlin
Gary is an award winning full time professional photographer and videographer with too much wanderlust for his own good. Fuelled by strong coffee, you’ll often find him wandering well off hiking trails in search of interesting photographic subjects or scenery to video. Self taught and with the use of pioneering digital techniques, he quickly built up a strong client base and has worked with many prestigious organisations, including GQ, BBC, London Fashion Week, Grazia, Sky, Metro, Vogue Italia. He specialising in evocative images of people, places and cinematic videography and his goal is to make the viewer look twice and engage. As well as a penchant for good design, the ketogenic diet and Hungarian Vizslas, he also has a huge affection for Chicago, Bucharest, Scandinavia, Croatia and absolutely everywhere in Italy. Find him on Instagram @garynansome, Twitter @garynansome and his website https://garynunn.co.uk/