A holiday vacation favorite, Tampa a city located in Florida which offers year-round sunshine and a rich culture that includes a clear Cuban influence- from the historic buildings to the sounds of acoustic music and smells of Spanish spices drifting from city-center restaurants.
It’s also an increasingly trendy destination and the urban heart of Florida’s Gulf coast has been officially mentioned as being one hippest communities in the U.S. Head to Tampa Bay and you’ll find an abundance of craft breweries, coffee shops galore, cool restaurants, and plenty of funky fun.
There are also some equally special places to stay, from chic boutiques to trendy large hotels, here are the Top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Tampa, Florida (in no particular order)…
1. Epicurean Hotel, Autograph Collection – a unique and hip experience-based hotel perfect for food and wine lovers
Neutral colors and reclaimed wood provide the backdrop for enjoying locally crafted beers, top-level food, and an in-house spa. With its freshly made treatments, Spa Evangeline is the place to indulge the senses.
Or if you’re a foodie or wine connoisseur, you may enjoy the ‘Epicurean theatre’ a calendar of events ranging from learning about Florida oysters to a Thanksgiving dine-in.
The Élevage restaurant offers innovative dishes from around the world, with two more excellent sister restaurants around the corner. You can also enjoy the Tampa skyline from the hotel rooftop bar or pick something up from Bern’s Fine Wines & Spirits in the lobby.
Located in South Tampa’s vibrant SoHo district, full of boutiques, a wide range of restaurants and bars, there’s no shortage of things to do on your doorstep.
- To book, check prices or availability for Epicurean Hotel Tampa
2. Aloft Tampa Midtown – a cool, funky, and Instagrammable hotel perfect for partying Millenials and Gen Z visitors
Clean, sharp lines and soothing colors create the contemporary décor in this new Aloft hotel, located in Tampa Midtown. Alongside minimalism, there are also elements of geometric design, and the suspended spheres as you go up the stairs feel like they could have been lifted from an art installation.
Inside the bedrooms, pure white walls and Mondrian-inspired patterns help give even the smaller bedrooms an airy feel.
On the rooftop, you can sip crafted cocktails by the pool while soaking up the Florida rays or enjoy modern Latin food at the Sal Y Mar restaurant. Not far from downtown Tampa and the International airport makes this a convenient spot. Amenities-wise, there is also a fitness center, pool table, and 24hr-snack pantry.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aloft Tampa Midtown
3. Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Tampa – a fun, lively, Instagrammable music-themed hotel perfect for cool partying guests
This is one of the big daddies on the Tampa hotel scene. The signature Hard Rock décor features memorabilia from Beyonce to Bowie, setting the scene for fun times.
There’s top-draw entertainment at the Hard Rock Event Center, a music-themed casino, and no less than 5 restaurants and 3 bars. The restaurants and bars cater for every taste – American fare, sushi bar, deli, poolside grill, noodle bar, and Sugar Factory to finish for those with a sweet tooth.
Cementing its place as one of the biggest hotels in Tampa, the accommodation towers 17 stories high, housing 550 guest rooms and suites.
You can choose from 4 levels of luxury – up to the Gold Suite level – depending on the level of rockstar lifestyle you’re looking for.
- To book, check prices or availability for Seminole Hard Rock Hotel
4. Hotel Alba Tampa, Tapestry Collection By Hilton – a bright and modern hotel with hip industrial-chic touches
It’s not hard to see why this hotel is exceptionally rated. Large windows fill the Hotel Alba Tampa with light in the lobby, the restaurant, and the bedrooms.
The simple, but super-stylish decor beautifully sets off a stunning collection of local student artwork. Strong community links can also be found in the two restaurants which focus on local ingredients, serving Florida cuisine with a Spanish fusion.
To unwind, try a poolside drink in the Tampa sunshine or relax under one of the cute straw huts offering some shade. If you prefer to venture further afield, downtown Tampa is just a short drive away.
The hotel regularly holds events thanks to their dedicated events team, 600-person ballroom, and host of meeting rooms.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Alba Tampa
5. The CURRENT Hotel, Autograph Collection – a chic luxury hotel delivering amazing views
Polished woods, rich brown leathers, and open spaces give the lobby an immediate feel of luxury and warmth. But what sets this hotel apart are the fabulous views.
Every room has a ceiling-to-floor view of Tampa Bay, and the restaurant and ballroom offer panoramic views of the calming waterfront – as does the pool. If you enjoy soaking up stunning sunsets – or sunrises – this is for you. As if that’s not enough, the hotel has its own private beach area for guests to relax in.
To refuel, there’s either Tampa’s tallest rooftop bar or the Julian restaurant serving locally inspired light options. A state-of-the-art fitness center, meeting rooms, and business services complete the amenities package.
- To book, check prices or availability for The CURRENT Hotel
6. Le Méridien Tampa – old-world courthouse charm meets all the mod cons in this unique Tampa boutique accommodation
Once an old courthouse, this imposing, stone-fronted building is now a gorgeous boutique hotel in downtown Tampa, cleverly blending a mix of historic architecture, marble hallways, and original oak with modern-day tech and comfort.
The features of the hotel tell the story of 100 years of history – from the original witness stand in the Bizou Brasserie to the elegant gold elevator doors.
The courthouse ballroom boasts original oak paneling, floor-to-ceiling windows, and the gold eagle emblem has remained untouched, lending a regal feel to any event.
Soothing slate greys and mahogany woods create a calming environment in the bedrooms that fit with the hotel’s dignified atmosphere. Contemporary facilities include a business center, range of meeting rooms, pool, and a 24-hour fitness center.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Méridien Tampa
7. Hotel Haya – a charming, boutique hotel which reflects the cool vibes of the city
Hotel Haya is a new boutique hotel, not the biggest, but exceptionally rated and full of charm. Contemporary design meets comfort with cozy touches such as the wall of books and the sunny glass conservatory.
The Valencia Ballroom is not to be missed – an impressive setting for events, featuring a two-story-high ceiling with whitewashed brick and full-length windows.
The private courtyard pool is perfect for relaxing, or you could try the restaurant and café which serve up tasty bites from Cuban to Italian, Spanish to Mediterranean, inspired by the local area.
Located in the Ybor City, just 2 km for Tampa’s center, this abode is perfectly situated for exploring the different sides of this vibrant area. Other onsite facilities include a fitness center, garden, and meeting rooms.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Haya Tampa
8. AC Hotel Tampa by Marriott Tampa Airport – bright, airy, elegant, and sophisticated
Flooded with light, and decorated in whites, creams and neutral shades, the interior of the AC Hotel Tampa is simple, streamlined, and chic. Carefully curated decorative pieces add subtle touches of color and interest. The exterior of the hotel is also impressive with a huge digital board, lighting up the night sky.
Style meets convenience with a range of meeting rooms, events rooms, and media salons. Or you can enjoy the 24-hour fully-equipped fitness center with floor-to-ceiling windows or the outdoor pool in the famous Florida warmth.
The AC Kitchen serves a European-style breakfast, and craft beers, cocktails, and tapas are available in the lounge.
Not far from downtown Tampa, the AC Hotel Tampa is in a great spot for exploring the Tampa area.
- To book, check prices or availability for AC Hotel Tampa
9. The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa – a chic contemporary hotel where style meets comfort
Sleek on the outside and with a comfortable, chic interior, punctuated with pops of color, the Westmore Grand is suited for business or pleasure.
The private courtyard is especially lovely for a bit of reading, chatting, or working, surrounded by vibrant greenery and calming water features. Or you might prefer to take in views of Tampa from the heated rooftop pool.
Situated in the Westshore business district, but only a few miles from downtown Tampa, the hotel is in a great location whatever your purpose.
From the meeting rooms and business center to the ballroom all options for events are covered. Spacious bedrooms, fitness center, and fine dining restaurant make for a comfortable base to explore the Tampa area.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Westshore Grand Tampa
10. LEAGUE 704 at West Shore – modern boutique apartments perfect for a longer stay in Tampa
For the more independent traveler, these stylish apartments, decorated with a relaxed color scheme and comfortable furniture, have everything you need – an uncluttered living space with all the necessary facilities.
Air conditioning, Wi-Fi, fully fitted kitchens and lounge area make a home from home.
A lovely patio and pool area sits in the heart of the apartment blocks for relaxing after a busy day enjoying the local culture and many attractions Tampa has to offer.
Located in the Westshore district, not far from Ben T Davis Beach, and just a short drive to the waterfront or downtown Tampa, this is a great base for taking your break at your own pace.
- To book, check prices or availability for LEAGUE 704 at West Shore
We also have posted on…
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Miami
- Best hotels in Orlando
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Naples FL
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Fort Lauderdale
- Cool and Unusual hotels in St Augustine
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Jacksonville
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Key West
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Tallahassee
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Vero Beach
- Cool and Unusual hotels on Sanibel Island
- Cool and Unusual hotels on Big Island
- Cool Boutique Hotels in New Orleans
- Cool Boutique hotels in Myrtle Beach
- Cool Boutique Hotels Savannah
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Kauai
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Key Largo
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Islamorada
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Clearwater/St Petersburg
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Gulf Shores, Alabama
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Sarasota
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.