Located in an idyllic part of Upstate New York The Finger Lakes and the wider region are known for being home to eleven slender lakes, beautiful vineyards, scenic waterfalls, endless farmland, charming small towns and a laid-back, almost sleepy vibe. As well as being an outdoor lover’s paradise there are plenty for art, craft and even sculpture fans too.
Take a journey through the diverse landscapes and stop off to boat, hike, kayak, swim, bird watch or sip on beers from one of the many craft breweries that are dotted all over the area. To make your magical trip even more special, from boutique inns to modern, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in The Finger Lakes region (in no particular order)...
1. Inn at Taughannock Falls – a stunning beachfront inn that provides beautiful surroundings and Victorian buildings
A unique hotel just steps from a magnificent, natural waterfall, Inn at Taughannock Falls is the only Lakeview inn in the country. First opened in 1946, this historic hotel still has all the charm and style of the era, combined with the amenities and service of a modern hotel.
Rooms offer different experiences, from a trip back in time in the Victorian hotel to a more modern décor of Edgewood.
Other options include private lake houses and loft-style Parkview, all giving stunning views of the lakes and gorgeous scenery of the area. With walks and trails starting just outside, this is the perfect destination for nature lovers.
- To book, check prices or availability for Inn at Taughannock Falls
2. Gothic Eves Inn and Spa – a charming, cozy and unique boutique B&B that has been ranked number one in Trumansburg
Sitting between Cayuga and Seneca Lakes, Gothic Eves is a boutique hotel with just 8 rooms, featuring exotic, decadent luxury through beautiful materials cathedral ceilings and beautiful design.
It’s a luxurious hotel in every sense, with heated bathroom floors, stunning décor and more providing a superb, relaxing place to stay.
Of course, service is to the highest standards, with superb breakfasts available to suit your tastes and spa facilities to provide the ultimate in relaxation. For a different take on luxury and a unique hotel experience, Gothic Eves has it all.
- To book, check prices or availability for Gothic Eves Inn and Spa
3. Woodcliff Hotel and Spa – a modern and sophisticated upscale spa hotel situated atop Monroe County’s highest point
A wonderful modern hotel and spa, Woodcliff is surrounded by the rolling hills of upstate New York, offering contemporary design, luxurious rooms and superb service in a simple, elegant hotel perfectly situated for those looking to explore the region.
A world-class spa, 9-hole golf course, and both indoor and outdoor pool provide plenty of activities to enjoy, while Horizons Restaurant provides French flair combined with an American steakhouse for a fantastic dining experience.
- To book, check prices or availability for Woodcliff Hotel and Spa
4. Inns of Aurora – a cool and creative and popular lakefront resort housed in a unique Federal-style inn
Each of the 5 inns of Aurora offer a unique hotel experience in the picture book setting of Aurora itself, a classic, peaceful village first settled in 1789. Sitting on the shores of Cayuga Lake, it provides Instagram-worthy views and a historic hotel experience.
Whichever Inn you choose, Aurora Inn, E.B. Morgan House, Rowland House, Zabriske House and Wallcourt Hall, you will find a blend of period charm and modern luxury, along with fine dining, yoga classes, fitness center, wellness activities, bicycle hire and a range of watersports including kayaking, canoeing and paddleboards.
- To book, check prices or availability for Inns of Aurora
5. La Tourelle Hotel & Spa – a unique family-owned upscale hotel with a creative European style flair
A wonderful boutique hotel with a welcoming touch that comes from the same family ownership for more than 30 years. Luxurious, relaxing, romantic, this tranquil getaway is everything you want and more.
Design is French-influenced, with rich materials and bold colors giving the rooms a unique feel that instantly makes you feel at home.
In-house dining is taken care of by The Bistro, with indoor and outdoor seating as well as in-room service should you prefer. Offering contemporary American cuisine in a relaxed atmosphere, it’s a great place to enjoy fine food and great service.
With 70 acres of gardens to explore, a spa and fitness center, however you enjoy spending your day, La Tourelle has something for you.
- To book, check prices or availability for La Tourelle Hotel & Spa
6. New Park Venue & Suites – a cool, chic and Insta-worthy hotel to stay in Ithaca
A stunning retreat and wedding venue, New Park is a themed hotel that is perfect for a romantic getaway and for those looking for somewhere to relax and recharge.
Suites and cottages provide comfortable accommodation, featuring stonework, stained glass and attention to detail that make it such a special place to stay.
Surrounded by woodland with the ever-changing colors of nature a backdrop to your stay, New Park specializes in events of all kinds. Book a stay for a group and organize the best birthday party or any other event you can think of, they’ll help you every step of the way to make it a super special occasion.
- To book, check prices or availability for New Park Venue & Suites
7. Aloft Syracuse Inner Harbor – a colorful, funky and fun party hotel perfect for Millenials and Gen Zs
Sitting on the banks of Onondaga Creek, Aloft Syracuse Inner Harbor is a luxury hotel ideally situated for exploring Finger Lakes and the best of New York state. Modern, well-equipped rooms offer space and style, with a range of technology to make life easy, all with an eye for sustainability that is at the heart of how the hotel operates.
AN indoor pool and fitness center are there for your daily exercise, while a convenience store is useful for grabbing snacks when heading out to explore. Modern hotel luxury and convenience in the heart of the lakes, Aloft Syracuse Inner Harbor is for those who want comfort and adventure on every trip.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aloft Syracuse Inner Harbor
8. Moonshadow B&B – a quirky-chic boutique inn with rooms with balconies and lake views
Stay in this unique hotel and enjoy the very best of New York hospitality from a family-run boutique hotel that offers a great experience in an incredible location.
Just 5 suites ensure that you are always looked after the right way, with the team always having time for you and making you feel right at home. Rooms are all spacious and bright, with quality furnishings and an eclectic décor for a comfortable stay.
With views out over the lake, fantastic shared spaces including a lounge with a beautiful fireplace, a games room and gym and terrific freshly prepared breakfasts, it is a great place to spend your time.
- To book, check prices or availability for Moonshadow B&B
9. The Statler Hotel at Cornell University – a unique place to stay that blends urban energy and contemporary elegance
A unique hotel that offers fine dining, luxurious accommodation and some of the best service you will find anywhere in the world. The Statler Hotel is where hotel professionals from around the world come to learn their trade, and it shows in every aspect of the experience.
From the moment you walk into the grand lobby, the service is second to none, but it has much more to recommend. A great hotel, it features four eateries, including outdoor dining, offering cuisines from around the world, with style to suit every taste.
A fitness center, dry cleaning service and free wi-fi makes sure you have everything you need.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Statler Hotel at Cornell University
10. School 31 Lofts – a trendy and funky aparthotel overlooking the art gallery
Stunning loft apartments that offer a cool hotel experience with the freedom of your own apartment.
Overlooking the gallery and surrounded by fabulous restaurants, entertainment and the museums and galleries the neighborhood of the Arts is famous for, you get the perfect location and unique accommodation for School 31.
A concierge service is always available through direct messaging, ensuring you make the most of your stay in any way you enjoy, if you have pets, they’ll even provide homemade dog treats! It’s definitely different, but so, so special because of it, School 31 Lofts is an event in itself and a wonderful choice of hotel.
- To book, check prices or availability for School 31 Lofts
11. Skaneateles Suites Boutique Hotel – a charming, chic and romantic hotel that provides amazing facilities located in a charming village
A classic historical hotel, Skaneateles Suites Boutique Hotel sits in a storybook village in a classic mid-century property. Blending historical touches with modern convenience, it offers boutique luxury and comfort in a wonderful location.
Walk to the shops and dining of the village, or to enjoy some tranquillity at Skaneateles Lake. You can sit on the porch for morning coffee and watch the world go by, or get out and explore.
A stay at Skaneateles Suites Boutique Hotel is all about you. Enjoy comfort and luxury at your own pace in this fantastic location.
- To book, check prices or availability for Skaneateles Suites Boutique Hotel
12. Quinta Rosa Estate – a stunning Victorian home close to many popular attractions
Both a quirky, romantic hotel and a bespoke wedding venue, the Quinta Rosa Estate is a step back in time to the early 20th century with fabulous rooms and superb service a highlight of the experience. Just 5 rooms are available, each unique and have their own style, creating a wonderful atmosphere for a relaxing trip or a romantic getaway.
It’s a fantastic place to stay, take a relaxing start to the day out on the deck with your morning coffee and the world seems at its best.
You can spend your day just enjoying the gardens, or venture out and explore the many sights and delights of the region, it’s a wonderful place to experience Finger lakes from.
- To book, check prices or availability for Quinta Rosa Estate
13. Yale Manor B&B Yurt Glamping – a one-of-a-kind B&B, ideal for the ultimate glamping experience
Sitting in its own 10 acre park style lands, just a few minutes from Geneva and within easy reach of Cayuga and Seneca Lakes, Yale Manor B&B & Yurt Glamping offers a rustic hotel experience unlike anything else in the area.
Offering 911 era style, the bed and breakfast is quaint and comfortable, with open fireplaces and a range of luxury touches that makes the stay so perfect.
Choose one of the incredible 30-foot diameter yurts and you can enjoy something even more spectacular, with plenty of space and comfort for all.
- To book, check prices or availability for Yale Manor B&B & Yurt Glamping
14. Inn on Broadway – a historic inn on Broadway features boutique-style rooms each unique from one another
For timeless grandeur, few can match this as one of the best retro hotels in Finger Lakes sitting right in the heart of Rochester. Blending the period glamour of the building with modern luxurious design, you can enjoy beautiful rooms and superb service.
Dining is taken care of by Tournedos, offering some of the finest steakhouse cuisine you’ll find anywhere, while guests also have access to a nearby health center if they wish.
This impressive hotel offers a superb experience that takes you back to the glory days of 1909 and beyond when the building was first opened.
- To book, check prices or availability for Inn on Broadway
15. Argos Inn – Ithaca’s Boutique Hotel – a historic mansion based in the heart of Ithaca
A wonderful historic hotel that has been fully restored in recent years, Argos Inn is a period mansion that brings the exotic style of 1920s pioneers and the convenience and comfort of the modern hotel experience.
Rooms blend period-style furniture and fittings with modern touches such as free wi-fi and large screen TVs to create a comfortable, welcoming space you will love.
Sit out on the patio as the sun goes down, or enjoy drinks in the bar, whatever you choose this is one hotel you won’t forget.
- To book, check prices or availability for Argos Inn – Ithaca’s Boutique Hotel
16. Historic Jefferson Clinton Suites – a great hotel that offers free parking and bicycles
Forming part of the historic Armory Square in Syracuse, this elegant hotel provides a glimpse of history with its walls. Built in 1927, the hotel has provided luxurious accommodation and service for guests in its 8 rooms and 60 suites. Today all that glamour of the roaring twenties, mixed with modern, elegant style and amenities, provides a unique hotel experience for every guest.
With a fitness center, game consoles and games, a business center and a range of breakfast options, whether visiting for business or pleasure, the Historic Jefferson Clinton Suites is both ideally located and a pleasure to stay in.
- To book, check prices or availability for Historic Jefferson Clinton Suites
17. Hyatt Regency Rochester – an ultra-creative and stylish downtown hotel that provides a heated indoor pool
A wonderful upscale hotel sitting on the banks of the Genesee River, it is the tallest hotel in Finger Lakes, and one of the best hotels in the area too.
Rooms are smart and modern, with stylish seating, beautiful beds and high-quality furnishings and materials, creating a welcoming space that has everything you need for a relaxing and enjoyable stay.
A fitness center and pool keep you active, while Corso offers Italian cuisine in a wonderful setting, and a Starbucks keeps you fueled fir the day. With world-class restaurants just steps from the hotel, you are never short of dining options.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hyatt Regency Rochester
18. Enfield Manor Bed&Breakfast and Vacation Rental – a lovely B&B that is surrounded by nature and beauty
A historic home and hotel that offers wonderful accommodation as a bed and breakfast or cottages for vacation rental, sitting in an idyllic location among the lush rolling hills.
Accommodation is elegant and comfortable, with plenty of space and great views from all rooms. Pet-friendly, Enfield Manor Bed & Breakfast and Vacation Rental is a wonderful place to stay.
Outdoor patios are a great place to watch the sun go down, with a barbecue available for outside dining, a fire pit for cooler evening under the stars and a fantastic, hearty breakfast to kick your day off the right way. For a few nights or for longer stays, this is a rustic hotel that makes you feel at home.
- To book, check prices or availability for Enfield Manor Bed&Breakfast and Vacation Rental
19. Sutherland House Victorian Bed and Breakfast – a distinctive B&B that offers charming garden views and a cool vibe
A stunning historic hotel, Sutherland House Victorian Bed and Breakfast has been voted one of the most romantic inns 2020, and for a tranquil getaway for you and a loved one, there are few better choices around Finger Lakes.
Surrounded by gardens and trees, some of which are 200 years old, this is a historic building in every sense, with a Victorian parlor and décor taking you back in time without sacrificing modern luxury.
A 3-course breakfast gets you ready for the day, and service is always exceptional. A fantastic, romantic hotel that provides magical memories.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sutherland House Victorian Bed and Breakfast
20. 1795 Acorn Inn Bed and Breakfast – one of the best bed & breakfasts in Canandaigua
An award-winning, elegant hotel located among the beautiful views of the Bristol Valley and just a short drive from Canandaigua Lake, 1795 Acorn Inn Bed and Breakfast is a premier hotel that offers a superb experience for those who love luxury, stunning views and access to the wonderful natural world.
Surrounded by beautiful gardens, it is a real haven of tranquillity, with curated gardens revealing water features, stunning wildlife and incredible views just moments from your room. It’s a beautiful place, and with wonderful service and lovely rooms, it is a fantastic choice for your next trip.
- To book, check prices or availability for 1795 Acorn Inn Bed and Breakfast
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in New York
- Cool boutique hotels in Buffalo
- Cool boutique Hotels in Cape Cod
- Cool boutique hotels in Martha’s Vineyard
- Cool boutique hotels in The Finger Lakes
- Cool boutique hotels in Portland, Maine
- Cool boutique hotels in Cleaveland
- Cool boutique hotels in Pittsburgh
- Cool boutique hotels in Boston
- Cool boutique hotels in Philidelphia
- Cool boutique hotels in Baltimore
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lake Placid
- Cool and Unique hotels in Gettysburg
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lake Winnipesaukee
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.