Famous for the bone-chilling legend of Count Dracula, millions worldwide consider Transylvania as the birthplace of vampires. While the ancient myths and local legends run deep, Transylvania has more to offer than its intriguing Gothic heritage.
This lesser-known European gem is home to magnificent architectural structures, medieval landmarks, indulgent Romanian cuisine, and unfiltered natural beauty.
Visitors can divide their time between strolling through the medieval cobbled streets lined with ancient landmarks and embarking on rewarding hikes to explore the distinct flora and fauna of the Transylvanian wilderness. From Dracula-themed abodes to trendy resorts, here is a collection of and unusual cool hotels in Transylvania, Romania (in no particular order)...
1. House of Dracula Hotel – a cool and unique Dracula-themed hotel housed in a castlelike building based in Poiana Brasov
House of Dracula invites travelers to experience the myth of Count Dracula in a picturesque mountainside castle surrounded by the unfiltered beauty of greenery and woodlands. This gothic castle is the perfect setting to live out the legend of Dracula while pampering oneself with luxurious amenities.
The Resort offers a selection of Single Rooms, spacious Double Rooms, and 3 independently-owned apartments. All accommodations offer complimentary breakfast, high-speed internet, plush king-size beds, and a well-stocked minibar.
The onsite bar has a cozy ambience, seasoned bartenders and an impressive selection of local and foreign spirits. Guests can dine at the onsite Castel Restaurant and book revitalizing treatments at the world-class spa.
- To book, check prices or availability for House of Dracula Hotel
2. Dracula Transylvania Resort – a quirky-chic guest house close to top attractions such as the Cheile Gradistei Adventure Park located in the Bran region
A fantastical venue for travelers seeking to unravel medieval Transylvania’s ancient legends and mysteries, the Dracula Resort brings folklore and myths to life with its themed accommodations and rich interiors.
I was intrigued to check out the Resort’s medieval-themed restaurant, and the elaborate décor and ancient Romanian cuisine proved highly applause-worthy. The accommodations have a fairytale-like setting inspired by the legends of Count Dracula. The rooms are fitted with finely crafted furniture, flat-screen TVs, and in-room appliances.
Guests can start their day with a breakfast buffet on the sprawling terrace and end their evenings with a cocktail in the garden.
- To book, check prices or availability for Dracula Transylvania Resort
3. Oblique – Forest & Spa – a unique and cosy guesthouse embraced by beautiful forests, housed in a chalet with peculiar angles set in Sinaia
A spectacular hotel nestled by the Inai Village, Oblique Villa promises an unforgettable vacation with its themed accommodations, world-class Lotus Spa, and indulgent dining experience.
Oblique offers 20 guest rooms inspired by the greatest cities in the world, from the bohemian flair of Lisbon and the cosmopolitan charm of London to the romanticism of Paris and the extravagance of Vienna. Travelers can browse through multiple categories, such as Double Deluxe, Superior Double with Balcony, Premier King, and the VIP Suite.
The onsite Harlequin Lounge reminded me of a chic café in Paris, and I have fond memories of delighting my tastebuds with authentic Argentinian steak and local stew at the QUBE Restaurant.
- To book, check prices or availability for Oblique – Forest & Spa
4. Villa Relax In style-Adults Only – a charming and eccentric B&B that is within walking distance from the must-see Catherine’s Gate
Villa Relax In boasts a fabulous location for sightseers eager to reduce commuting expenses.
It offers proximity to the most iconic landmarks, including the Black Tower, the White Tower, and the Strada Sforii. The onsite tour desk helps travelers organize guided tours and trips, alongside arranging car rentals.
This adults-only venue offers comfortably appointed rooms in multiple categories, including Single and Double. T
he rooms come with furnished seating areas, sprawling balconies to soak up the views, and a wealth of amenities, including TVs with satellite service, minibars, and tea and coffee-making equipment.
Guests can sign up for massages and treatments at the onsite spa, and enjoy a hearty breakfast buffet each morning.
- To book, check prices or availability for Villa Relax In style-Adults Only
5. Hotel Medieval – an iconic historical palace set in a medieval-themed hotel in an 18th-century building that features classical-style furniture
Tucked inside an ancient palace within the Alba Carolina Fortress, Hotel Medieval welcomes travelers to step back in time and immerse themselves in ancient splendors. This building is one of the most iconic historical structures of Alba Iulia, and staying at the Medieval is a truly special experience.
History buffs eager to live out their period-themed fantasies are bound to fall in love with the luxurious rooms adorned with classical furniture and rare antiques. Medieval features a wide selection of accommodations, including the Luxury Room, Luxury Attic Room, and Attic Twin Room, inspired by the ornate decor of royal palaces and noble courts.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Medieval
6. PORTAL Village Only Adults – a lavish resort that offers a spa and a wellness center located in the Sibiel region which is a popular area for skiing
A distinguished venue renowned for blending ancestral Romanian wisdom with cutting-edge technology, PORTAL Village offers a tranquil setting nestled in the heart of Mother Nature.
Guests can explore luxury accommodations in two main categories: Moon, featuring units on the edge of the forest, and Sun, a collection of east and southeast-facing bungalows. The lineup includes Adapost, Elementary, Charity, Creative, Playful, Magic and Spiritual – each playing up a unique theme befitting its name.
The onsite VATRA Restaurant whips up nutritious treats for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and guests can sign up for full-board plans. I had the pleasure of attending a guided meditation session at the onsite Vortex Spa, and the experience was transformative, to say the least.
- To book, check prices or availability for PORTAL Village Only Adults
7. WERK Hotel & SPA – a modern and stylish hotel spa that is very near Corvin Castle located in Hunedoara neighborhood
WERK Hotel positions travelers in the center of Hunedoara, right next to Corvin Castle, artisanal shops, and restaurants serving traditional cuisine. This boutique hotel has a distinctive industrial design, and the interiors have a sleek, minimalist appeal.
The hotel offers the perfect accommodation for every traveler in its lineup of 30 guest rooms, including Double Rooms, Junior Suites, and a family-friendly Apartment. The onsite restaurant offers a charming setting to admire the countryside and historical landmarks while feasting on multicultural cuisine.
The onsite spa is impressive, featuring a swimming pool, Jacuzzi, massage salon, dry sauna, wet sauna, and a well-equipped fitness studio.
- To book, check prices or availability for WERK Hotel & SPA
8. Drachenhaus – an unpretentious and historic hotel that is conveniently located in heart of the old city of Brasov where guests can appreciate the view of Mount Tampa
Drachenhaus attracts nature lovers with its magical views of Mount Tampa and convenient location, a mere 200 meters from the walkable Republicii Street and the action-packed Sfatului Square. This hotel is ideal for sightseers eager to explore the Medieval Historical Center of Brasov.
Housed in a historical building that served as a museum in the 19th century, Drachenhaus allows travelers to experience Transylvania’s old-world charm with its original vintage furniture, handmade woolen carpets, and hardwood flooring created with acacia and oak wood.
Families with children will find the spacious loft and double rooms comfortably equipped, while singles and couples can choose spacious rooms with balconies to admire the views.
- To book, check prices or availability for Drachenhaus
9. Zara Chalet – one of the most instagrammable places to stay in Transylvania
Zara Chalet is a rustic mountainside cottage with a beautifully manicured garden, traditional wood and stone construction, and authentic Romanian details.
The interiors of the 8 bedrooms and lounging areas introduce travelers to rare Romanian symbols, medieval costumes, handcrafted textiles, and rarities dating back hundreds of years. Staying in this traditional chalet is an excellent way to discover more about Romania and immerse in the local culture.
I loved spending time in the lounging area and reading books by the fireplace. The atmosphere is quite relaxing, and one can spend hours admiring the mountain views from the terraces. The onsite spa has a lush courtyard and relaxation area, and guests are served a sumptuous breakfast daily.
- To book, check prices or availability for Zara Chalet
10. Vila Katharina – an elegant boutique hotel set in a refined 18th-century building that features an artistic interior
Established in an 18th-Century architectural gem, Vila Katharina is ideally located in the bustling medieval center of Brasov. This lovingly restored hotel has preserved every single detail of its original façade, from the period-style furniture and brass chandeliers to the original frescoes and paintings.
This intimate hotel offers a limited selection of themed guest rooms designed to accommodate singles, couples and large groups. The Sapphire Standard Double Room has a brass-dominated aesthetic, while the Onyx Double Superior Room has a bold art deco profile with rich draperies and crystals.
The Emerald Deluxe Suite King Deluxe plays up beautiful shades of emerald green, turquoise and silver, featuring a king-size bed and multiple in-room appliances.
- To book, check prices or availability for Vila Katharina
11. Dream Hill Hotel Boutique – a contemporary and spacious hotel ideal for families and large groups, situated in the region of Sînpetru
The Dream Hill Boutique Hotel is perched at the foothills of the Dealul Lempes Natural Reserve, boasting a fabulous setting for outdoor enthusiasts eager to embark on hiking and biking adventures. Serenity seekers will also appreciate the tranquility of the luxurious accommodations offering panoramic views of the nature reserve.
This boutique hotel is ideal for honeymooners, featuring 11 matrimonial rooms with a unique theme and dreamy décor. The accommodations include the Gentleman Room, Karma Room, Egyptian Vibe Room, Zen Room and Goldish Vibe.
Four units offer direct access to Lempes Hill and the garden. The onsite restaurant offers artisanal cuisine with panoramic views of the Lempes Nature Reserve.
- To book, check prices or availability for Dream Hill Hotel Boutique
12. Casa Albert Boutique & Restaurant – a rustic-chic property that features uniquely designed rooms that portray Brasov’s historical monuments
Casa Albert is located in the historical heart of Brasov, on the iconic Republicii Street, surrounded by historical landmarks, cobbled streets and dozens of terraces offering Romanian coffee.
The guestrooms radiate an infectious old-world charm with their warm color palettes, traditional furniture, and antiquated finishings. The accommodations include the Blue Suite, Bordeaux Suite, Cream Room, Purple Room and Gold Room.
Casa Albert is decorated with elaborate murals paying homage to Romania’s historical landmarks and heritage. This hotel is home to the famous Bistro Albert, the best spot to discover rare wines from Argentina, France, Romania and Spain, paired with decadent desserts and local fares.
- To book, check prices or availability for Casa Albert Boutique & Restaurant
13. Pensiunea Casa Buna – an unassuming must-stay hotel that is surrounded by beautiful landscapes, perfect for nature aficionados
Located 2.2 miles from the Mountain Church of Garbova, the Pensiunea Casa Buna is an intimate hotel featuring 12 guest rooms, an onsite restaurant and bar, an outdoor swimming pool, and a garden.
This family-friendly hotel has a home-like environment, and travelers who seek privacy will find the intimate setting ideal for escaping the touristy crowds. All guest rooms are air-conditioned and equipped with seating areas, ensuite bathrooms, flat-screen TVs, and private terraces overlooking the garden and cityscape.
The hotel also features a children’s playground, karaoke equipment, a luggage storage facility, free parking space, a shared lounge and a garden.
- To book, check prices or availability for Pensiunea Casa Buna
14. Balvanyos Resort (Grand Hotel Balvanyos) – a refined hotel based in a very privileged natural area where visitors can appreciate the view of the Badoc mountains
An oasis of luxury nestled in the forests and mountains of Lake Saint Ana, the Balvanyos Resort is a one-of-a-kind destination that invites nature lovers to immerse in the Transylvanian wilderness.
The resort offers highly refined interiors equipped with modern amenities, multiple onsite dining options, and the world-class Grand Santerra Spa. Balvanyos features luxurious accommodations in multiple categories, including Standard, Double Rooms, Junior Suites, 1-Bedroom Villas, and spacious 2-Bedroom Apartments.
The Grand Santerra Spa allows guests to curate personalized spa experiences and relaxation therapies inspired by the elements of fire, water, wood and stone. I fell in love with the rustic atmosphere, and traditional Romanian cuisine served at the onsite Gastrolab – the pork cracklings and mulled wine are highly recommended.
- To book, check prices or availability for Balvanyos Resort (Grand Hotel Balvanyos)
15. Hermanns Hotel Sibiu – a trendy and laid-back hotel that is perfect for long and short stays, ideal for Millennials and Gen Zs
Hermanns Hotel welcomes weary travelers in a peaceful neighborhood of Sibiu, a short stroll away from the historical center, business district, and popular hangout spots. This boutique hotel is home to 40 Superior Twin Rooms, 17 Deluxe Double, 12 Premier Single, 3 Deluxe Double with terraces, and 1 Family Suite.
The business-friendly amenities, including 2 well-equipped conference rooms and high-speed WiFi, make Hermanns a popular choice for business travelers and digital nomads. The minimally furnished rooms are ideal for work and relaxation, equipped with in-room appliances and fine linens.
The onsite restaurant, Roter Ofen, specializes in Italian cuisine, serving brick oven pizzas, crispy Italian roasts, and traditional pasta.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hermanns Hotel Sibiu
16. Elexus Predeal – a cool and sleek hotel where guests can enjoy a romantic break, located in the Predeal region
Elexus Predeal is a 4-star venue boasting a central location, a wealth of entertainment and relaxation facilities, and an extensive lineup of accommodations suitable for every traveler.
The location is truly splendid for guests who want to enjoy time in nature without distancing themselves from central tourist attractions.
The hotel offers Single Rooms, Double Rooms, Studio Apartments and spacious Superior Apartments with private access to the garden.
Elexus offers a children’s playground and trained entertainers to babysit the little ones while parents enjoy massages at the onsite spa and dine at the elegant Noir Restaurant.
The onsite amenities include a heated outdoor pool, a world-class spa with massage studios, a sauna, Jacuzzi and designated spaces for halotherapy and hydrotherapy.
- To book, check prices or availability for Elexus Predeal
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Bucharest
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Prague
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Budapest
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Sofia
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Riga
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Tallinn
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Krakow
Beth was born under a wandering star, with drama in her veins and ink in her pen. After stints studying theatre in Dublin and Utrecht she used her creative streak to see as much of the world as she could on as little money. She toured Italian Schools with a children’s theatre troop, lived as an au-pair in both Rome and Washington DC, explored the British countryside, worked her way through much of Europe, Salsa danced in Cuba and road tripped down America’s west coast where she discovered her spiritual home; Portland, Oregon. In between adventures she resides peacefully with her family, cats and ukulele.