Seamlessly combining a laid-back hip vibe with the mesmerizing backdrop of the Caribbean Sea, Tulum is the perfect paradise to lose yourself in a secluded and relaxing atmosphere.
One of the places to tick off your wanderlust bucket list, Tulum caters to any kind of traveller through a wide range of adventure excursions, world-class pampering opportunities, and a peaceful coexistence of nature and gastronomy.
Between taking dips in the cerulean waters, you can hike through dense jungle or explore perfectly preserved Mayan ruins.
This charming town along Mexico’s Riviera Maya is home to some of Central America’s most idyllic hotels, which range from boutique eco-retreats to upmarket oceanfront resorts. Here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Tulum, Mexico (in no particular order)…
1. Casa Malca – an Instagrammable, cool, art boutique hotel perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
The experience on offer at the Casa Malca transcends the normal vacation, inspiring you to connect with yourself and with the wild world.
Refined luxury and local artistry radiate through the property, where every little detail has been designed to make guests feel at home.
Awe-inspiring Caribbean Sea views feature in all rooms, which are decorated with unique works of art and opulent trappings.
A sensory feeling of pleasure is evoked at the many restaurants and bars on-site, as well as in the CALMA SPA where textures and essences are incorporated to reach new levels of relaxation for body and mind.
- To book, check prices or availability for Casa Malca
2. Azulik – a rustic, beautiful and Insta-worthy retreat perfect for a couple’s romantic getaway
Nestled between the jungle and the ocean, Azulik was built by hand using ancestral techniques and is teeming with local materials and beautiful details.
Reconnection takes on a new meaning here as art, nature, and wisdom coexist in perfect harmony, welcoming guests to a space graced with magical surroundings.
The authentic architecture of the 48 wooden villas integrates seamlessly with the environment, and each unit boasts a private deck where you can sit out and revel in the sounds of nature.
Epitomising luxury dining, Azulik features first-rate gastronomic offerings, blending culinary traditions together with a dash of folklore from the Far East.
- To book, check prices or availability for Azulik
3. Kimpton Aluna Resort Tulum, an IHG Hotel – a trendy, stylish and upscale resort ideal for a memorable vacation
Capturing the essence of Tulum in a tranquil bohemian retreat, Kimotom Aluna Resort is nestled amid vivid greenery in the exclusive Aldea Zama neighbourhood.
Combining modernity with spirituality, the property draws as much inspiration from Mexican and Mayan design as it does from its natural surroundings.
The guestrooms display natural textures and textiles, with cool stone elements, jute rugs and macramé wall hangings contrasting the quirky pops of colour and playful objets d’art.
The Kimpton Aluna is where your day can begin with a rooftop yoga session and end with expertly crafted cocktails under the same roof. In between, you can pass your time soaking up the charm poolside, or exploring the local cenotes.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kimpton Aluna Resort Tulum, an IHG Hotel
4. Mi Amor a Colibri Boutique Hotel-Adults Only – a bright, modern and trendy hotel with Mexican-inspired décor
From a small rocky outcrop overlooking the Caribbean Sea, this Art Deco-inspired playground reveals the perfect balance of nature through open space concepts and luxury cabanas nestled in lush gardens.
The shimmering infinity pool tempts guests to indulge in a blissful afternoon swim, before savouring award-winning Mediterranean cuisine at Besame Mucho bar.
Reminiscent of the Acapulco Heyday era of the 1950’s, the guestrooms boast a thoughtful curation of objects for ultimate comfort. You can sleep either oceanfront or in the palmed jungle, in one of seven different categories of themed room.
All offer a chance to wake up to the sounds of the waves crashing into shore.
- To book, check prices or availability for Mi Amor a Colibri Boutique Hotel-Adults Only
5. La Valise Tulum – one of the best boutique hotels on Tulum beach offering guests a modern, stylish and home-away-from-home stay
This eclectic hotel preserves the majesty of Tulum, with sophisticated beachfront bungalows radiating an essence of craftmanship, surprise, and luxury.
All of the exotically furnished rooms feature stunning views, and are embellished with curated local artwork, steps from the Caribbean Sea.
The on-site saltwater infinity pool offers a spot of peaceful requiescence, and captures the charming beachfront vibe which symbolizes Tulum.
La Valise’s spa invites you to harness mindfulness as you focus on the arts of relaxation and unity. Beachside and in-suite massages are offered, as well as spiritual immersion sessions in the form of Yoga and Cacao ceremonies.
- To book, check prices or availability for La Valise Tulum
6. Jashita Hotel – a fancy, upscale and modern hotel situated on a private beach
Bathed by the gentle aromas of bougainvilleas and the iridescence of the Caribbean, Jashita represents the ultimate experience in tropical living.
Merging Mexico’s rustic style with a contemporary urban design, this luxury boutique hotel brings the jungle backdrop to life with the presence of neutral earth tones and a bright, spacious ambiance.
The suites and villas offer total seclusion for guests, who are greeted with the ultimate blend of comfort, peace, and tranquillity.
Stepping outside your private haven leads you within minutes to a pristine beach, where you can watch majestic Pelicans swoop over your head as you embark on a beautiful sunset walk.
- To book, check prices or availability for Jashita Hotel
7. Copal Tulum Hotel – a contemporary, hip and bright hotel featuring a fitness center and outdoor swimming pool
Designed to keep your senses alive through iconic concepts that connect and harmonize with the natural environment, Copal Tulum Hotel is characterized by magical spaces, careful design, and a supreme location.
This hotel is an idyllic spot to delve into sultry jungle vibes with the comforts of a luxury accommodation, which include smart TVs with Netflix, a jungle-level pool with lounge chairs, and a state-of-the-art gym.
At The Healing Spot, you can indulge in expert treatments to add a flair of wellness to your holiday, before heading to the stunning infinity pool to capture one of Tulum’s best sunsets.
- To book, check prices or availability for Copal Tulum Hotel
8. Hotel Tiki Tiki Tulum – one of Tulum’s best kept secrets where guests can experience a beautiful, contemporary and elegant stay
Offering an idyllic haven to the budget-conscious traveller, Hotel Tiki Tiki is potentially Tulum’s best kept secret. Featuring only 15-bedrooms, all appointed with boutique furnishings, guests are treated to a serene spot of respite where intimacy and seclusion is embodied.
The hotel is designed in a Miami Beach Mid-Century style, with dashes of modern embellishments adding to the sense of luxury.
Attentive dedication to detail is evident throughout the property’s grounds, especially in the quaint outdoor pool area, which is dotted by soft sun loungers and soaring trees. The communal spaces evoke a boho-chic spirit through elegant wooden furniture and quirky décor.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Tiki Tiki Tulum
9. Hotel Bardo – Adults Only – a contemporary, trendy and 5-star hotel where guests can enjoy a quiet and rejuvenating getaway
This idyllic retreat inspires guests to awaken the deepest corners of their mind’s, through an experience-based platform of transformation balancing lifestyle luxury and distinctive design.
Secluded within the Mayan jungle, Hotel Bardo invites you to experience a pure and unphased surrounding, and embrace moments of introspection and mindfulness.
Every evening, before the sun sets guests are invited to share their purpose, hopes, and dreams, in a candle lit environment as part of a sunset ritual.
Weekly meditation sessions are guided by the chants of a master yogui and the vibrations of ancestral instruments, leading to a cathartic sense of inner peace.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Bardo – Adults Only
10. The Yellow Nest Tulum – a 5-star, charming and boho-chic hotel where guests can experience an unforgettable stay
The Yellow Nest is where tranquillity and vitality live side-by-side. Surrounded by beautiful cenotes, the hotel’s magical setting is elevated by original architecture and a native, intimate ambiance.
The bohemian design in the villas and bungalows is an ode to the region’s history and lifestyle, and resonates with the ancient spirituality and traditions of the Mayan civilization.
Here, a few steps out of your private sanctuary lands you immediately into a stunning pool, inviting you to harness a connection with nature.
At The Yellow Nest you can spend an afternoon swaying above the water in a tree hammock, before heading out on a memorable excursion in the gorgeously landscaped surrounds.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Yellow Nest Tulum
11. Radhoo Tulum – a themed, unique and serene hotel surrounded by the Mayan jungle
As you enter the jungle wonderland of Radhoo Tulum, and pass through the wooden portal onto palm-clad paths, you will be serenaded by the vibrant rhythms of the Mayan biosphere.
Located a stone’s throw from Tulum’s main strip, the 14 guestrooms embody the town’s bohemian character, and blend this with a touch of exotic luxury.
Each haven is juxtaposed around a gorgeous tropical pool, and pays ode to local craftmanship through Chukum plant resin-washed walls and natural woods.
The property echoes ancient rituals to inspire you to enjoy the full abundance of life, and provides many expansive deck areas including hammock lounges from which you can gaze across the jungle canopy.
- To book, check prices or availability for Radhoo Tulum
12. Papaya Playa Project – an urban, upscale and creative hotel perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
Merging local culture and sustainability to set the stage for an inspiring hospitality experience, Papaya Playa Project is a place of creative charm and spiritual energy.
The traditional Mayan architecture blends seamlessly with the jungle surrounds, with barefoot luxury accommodations elegantly modelled to reflect the rainforest charm.
Boasting an enviable stretch of land, the visionary founder Emilio Heredia refers to this property as ‘primitive sophistication’, and his reverence for the environment is deep-rooted in the resort’s undertakings.
The owner has introduced Gaudi-esque treehouse abodes which overlook an untouched sprawl of green magnificence, complementing the eclectic array of ocean-view casitas and original cabins.
- To book, check prices or availability for Papaya Playa Project
13. Mamasan Treehouses & Cabins – a one-of-a-kind, stylish and chic hotel steps away from South Tulum Beach
A truly unique twist on the cabin experience, this quaint resort evokes a sense of peacefulness through soft hues and elegant appointing in the units.
Built from hemp, coconut fibre, bamboo, and recycled wood from the region, Mamasan Treehouses & Cabins offers breath-taking panoramas which can be relished from bed or the bathtub.
Extending its connection to the enviable surrounds, the restaurant uses only fresh organic ingredients cultivated and harvested by families in the Maya Riviera region.
A passionate style and a creative flair permeates the resort’s decor, inviting guests to revel in splendour as they retreat to coastal tranquillity.
- To book, check prices or availability for Mamasan Treehouses & Cabins
14. Orchid House Tulum – a petite, serene and charming hotel providing guests with a local Mexican inspired menu
Balancing a homely feel with the lush comforts of a five-star hotel, Orchid House is steeped in design which pays homage to the immense biodiversity and cultural heritage that has shaped Tulum.
To stay here is to drape yourself in the effervescence of the Mayan Jungle, and to be able to access the tropical turquoise waters of the Mexican Caribbean with ease.
The Orchid is a charming haven nestled amidst swaying palms, which creates an extraordinary sanctuary through responsible measures and the utilization of resources provided by the environment.
The hotel features a handful of quaint seating areas, which peer out over vast landscaped terrain.
- To book, check prices or availability for Orchid House Tulum
15. Hotel Muaré Tulum – a lavish, relaxing and themed hotel located in the Tulum jungle
Inviting you into an oasis of barefoot luxury where you can immerse in a unique relaxation experience, Muaré is an eclectic boutique hotel deeply in touch with nature.
The property is surrounded by the lush Selva Maya, and echoes a strong vision of healing through wellness, sounds, food, and hospitality. Inside the hotel’s grounds, the forming together of individually themed spaces has created a unique vibe.
This essence reflects the name ‘Muaré’ which refers to the synthesis of two patterns producing a pattern of its own. From sunrise to sunset, the on-site restaurant Gaudea offers authentic signature cuisine and crafted cocktails to delight the senses.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Muaré Tulum
16. Una Vida – a chic, elegant and pet-friendly hotel located in the heart of Tulum
Tucked away in the jungles of Tulum, Una Vida embodies a spirit of connection, and inspires guests to slow down and make new friends along the journey.
The hotel is situated just a short stroll to world famous beaches, cenotes, and ruins, as well as the eclecticism of Tulum town. This tropical compound boasts guestrooms comprised of separate pavilions, which feature a spacious outdoor space designed for admiring golden sunsets.
Further facilities include a palapa bar, a yoga shala, a fire pit, two resort style pools, and two restaurants. Within this bountiful concoction are elegantly appointed chill out spaces, where an explorative vigour is nurtured.
- To book, check prices or availability for Una Vida
17. Layla Tulum – Adults Only – a unique, vibrant boutique hotel featuring a roof top terrace
An idyllic haven for those seeking an authentic and relaxing travel experience, Layla Tulum offers a graceful boutique ambiance and showcases exceptional building work amid a stunning Riad style courtyard garden and pool.
Once you enter past the fountains, you’ll find yourself enchanted by the tranquillity of the garden, surrounded by Moroccan architecture once only found in palaces.
The on-site Burger Bar invites you to enjoy a fusion of Middle Eastern dishes with a fresh Caribbean touch, allowing your senses to go on a culinary journey.
Another tasteful space is the Mezcal Bar, which reflects the charming Mexican culture through a delicious concoction of flavours, scents, and colours.
- To book, check prices or availability for Layla Tulum – Adults Only
18. Hidden Treehouse Tulum Eco-Hotel – a quirky, creative and cool accommodation within walking distance of restaurants and attractions
Inspired by nature, Hidden Treehouse Tulum echoes an ethos rooted in sustainability through solar panels and water which flows from natural cenotes rich in minerals.
The hotel was built around palm trees in the heart of the jungle, and offers 10 boutique rooms draped in simplistic, chic decoration using high quality materials from the region. From the comfort of your own room, you can enjoy breathtaking sunsets over the tropical vegetation, which gleam through floor-to-ceiling windows.
This eco-hotel is located 80 metres from one of the most mesmerizing stretches of coastline on the Caribbean Sea, and a few steps from Tulum’s favoured night scene.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hidden Treehouse Tulum Eco-Hotel
19. Dharmika Residence Boutique Hotel – a spacious, vibrant and quiet hotel where guests can enjoy an American style breakfast
Welcoming guests to a warm embrace of plush comfort, soft lighting, and elegant hues, here we have a spot of boutique bliss. A connection with the local community has resulted in a vivid display of craftmanship through bespoke artwork on the walls of the communal spaces.
Here, the wide spectrum of colours adds a creative flair, beautifully contrasting the minimalism and functional opulence in the guestrooms. Healthy food can be ordered on-site, making use of local produce sourced through sustainable initiatives.
Nestled in the heart of the city, a stay at Dharmika Residence puts you just a short stroll from the hip trendy establishments of downtown Tulum.
- To book, check prices or availability for Dharmika Residence Boutique Hotel
20. Hotelito Azul – one of the most beautifully located hotels on Tulum providing a romantic, chic and relaxing stay
Overlooking the white sands of Tulum, Hotelito Azul exudes elegance through 31 designer villas and suites, a cool rooftop bar, a beach club, and epic dining concepts.
Private terraces or balconies adorn the spectacular units, where you can relish spectacular ocean views with a crafted cocktail in hand. This sophisticated hotel inspires guests to escape from reality and surrender to the rhythms of the beach, and the rooftop pool area emanates this sentiment blissfully.
A place for happy smiles and life-changing memories, a stay at Hotelito Azul is your ticket to a calmer way of life, steeped in eco-chic glamour.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotelito Azul
We also have posts on…
- Cool and hip hotels in Cancun
- Cool and hip hotels in Playa del Carmen
- Cool and hip hotels in Isla Mujeres
- Cool and hip hotels in Phuket
- Cool and hip hotels in Bermuda
- Cool and hip hotels in Jamaica
- Cool and hip hotels in The Bahamas
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Isla Holbox
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Mexico City
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Costa Rica
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Belize
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Buenos Aires
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Rio de Janeiro
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Tijuana
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Born and raised in Brazil, Gaby has always had a taste for the intriguing, the off-beat and the far flung. After travelling around most of South America, living in Spain and Italy and then moving to England, her feet have stayed continually twitchy. Studying for a degree in Spanish translation and then learning five more languages only poured more fuel onto her travelling ardor.
Gaby likes nothing better than discovering new destinations and meeting the locals, tasting the cuisine and hearing about the local stories. Her other indulgences include French cinema, boxing, photography, colourful manicures and soaking up the rays on a sun-infused beach. She counts Rio de Janeiro, Rome, Barcelona, Lisbon and Cornwall as her most favourite places in the world.