A ski resort nestled in the heart of the French Alps, Val d’Isere has gained a reputation as one of the world’s most beautiful alpine destinations. Originally a small farming village, its mountain splendour oozes charm and panache, while maintaining its village feel and sense of tradition.
Blending a welcoming atmosphere in a homely, mountain-chic environment with a great quality of life, Val d’Isere’s three villages, all perched above 1800m, preserve a natural harmony through the elegant architecture of local wood and stone.
Its eclectic range of hotels welcomes adventurists from around the world to come and revel in serene beauty and opulence. From wooden-clad boutique chalets to high-end resorts, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Val d’Isere, France (in no particular order)...
1. Hotel Avenue Lodge – a hip, trendy and very Instagrammable upscale boutique spa hotel perfect for partying Millenials and Gen Zs
Attracting a refined crowd to a chic hospitality experience rooted in boutique vibes and contemporary interiors, Hotel Avenue Lodge offers an eclectic twist on your typical rustic, alpine hotel.
The bold prints, moody lighting, and ultra-modern décor beautifully contrast the surrounding mountain views, while animal-print furnishings scattered around the lobby bring nature back in.
Each room plays on harmony and design, through dark wood flooring and traditional wooden beams, which complement the vivacious colours that pay homage to the omnipresent landscapes.
Boasting the most desirable location in Val dʼIsère, a five-minute walk opens you to almost 200 miles of piste and nearly 100 different lifts.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Avenue Lodge
2. Le Refuge de Solaise – 2551 m Altitude – a beautiful rustic chic contemporary hotel with a swimming pool overlooking the valley
Perched at a stunning 2251 metres, to stay at Le Refuge de Solaise is to be a spectator of some of the world’s most magnificent sunrises and sunsets.
You are invited to witness dominating landscapes of snow and ice by day, and a starry sky of remarkable purity by night. As soon as you arrive, you will live to the rhythms of alpine life, embracing the heart of nature from the stunning guestrooms.
These guestrooms boast ancient woods and bespoke references to traditional alpine heritage through exquisite décor and large mountain-facing windows.
Nestled in the heart of a majestic mountain, the Refuge Spa is the ideal spot for a moment of downtime, as you spare the tumult and the agitation of the world below.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Refuge de Solaise – 2551 m Altitude
3. Hôtel Ski Lodge – Village Montana – a chic and luxury hotel with gorgeous decor perfect for a cozy romantic gateway
Village Montana expands its legendary brand into Val d’Isere with this stunning ski sanctuary, located just a few metres from the centre of the ski resort.
The warmth of the lounge bar fireplace invites you curl up on the comfy sofas as soon as you arrive. Its eclectic array of rooms features warm tones highlighted by natural stone, wood, and velvet, while a joyful fusion of materials creates a gentle alpine ambiance.
The bathrooms, decked out in luxury dark tones, evoke the sensation of a five-star resort, while stunning mountain and village views can be embraced from private balconies, which boast deckchairs.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hôtel Ski Lodge – Village Montana
4. Hotel MONT-BLANC VAL D’ISERE – a small cool boutique hotel that offers ski-to-door access and a sauna
Centred around an authentic chic setting on the edge of the forest, the unique concept of Hotel Mong-Blanc allows you to book from a single room to full floor, to a three-bedroom chalet, catering to couples, groups, and large families alike.
The rooms are embellished in a unique, personalized decoration, where authentic construction materials combine with cocooning textile elements to exude a sense of well-being.
The hotel boasts ski-in ski-out access, and welcomes you back from the slopes to a relaxing experience in a counter-current pool and sauna.
The after-ski sessions involve a friendly musical atmosphere, while you can also relax with a hot drink in the graceful lounge bar, which evokes a true sense of conviviality.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel MONT-BLANC VAL D’ISERE
5. Hotel Altitude – a cozy but fun chalet-style hotel with trendy modern decor that features a seasonal outdoor pool
The optimum location of Hotel Altitude at the foot of the legendary Bellevarde piste awaits you with all the pleasures of skiing and hiking.
The charming cottage inspires the sweetness of life during any season, with breath-taking snow-capped mountain views in winter and blissful days on the south-facing terrace in the summer.
The 37 elegant guestrooms boast sweeping mountain panoramas, and are embellished with contemporary decorations combining carved furniture and fluffy fabrics.
The hotel promises a stay full of discovery, relaxation, and recreation, which is emanated beautifully in the well-being experience just across the road. Here, you can make use of playful pools, current rivers, water cannons, massaging jets, and bubble benches.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Altitude
6. Hotel Le K2 Chogori – a chic and beautiful luxury place to stay in Val d’Isere that overlooks snowy peaks for partying or relaxing
A stunning addition to Val d’Isere’s chic social scene, this five-star boutique hotel is a luxurious cocoon of Tibetan exotica and contemporary alpine art de vivre.
The vivacious kaleidoscope of earthy colours, textures, and bespoke furniture blends nomadic beauty and fresh aesthetics with timeless mountain traditions, while tremendous vistas of snowy peaks unfold from many of the 21 rooms and suites.
Here, the subtle cocktail of contrasting fabrics illuminates the luxuriant gold, green and burnt-red accents, further enhanced through Tibetan-styled objets d’art and framed snaps of Val d’Isere.
Guests can enjoy an elegant Peruvian restaurant, a trendsetting gym, and a marble-clad well-being area with 12m lap pool, hammam, and sauna.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Le K2 Chogori
7. Hôtel LE BLIZZARD – a charming, modern and cozy Val d’Isere resort housed in an alpine-style building hotel
Rediscover the charm of a mountain chalet at Hotel Le Blizzard, a cosy boutique situated 150 metres from the slopes in the heart of Val d’Isere.
Family-owned and operated since 1963, the change of pace at this boutique lodge is exuded through carefully chosen fabrics, the warmth of traditional wood and stone, and cosy decorations, creating a genuine mountain atmosphere.
The 70 rooms and suites boast either mountain or village views, and embrace luxury through plush linens and state-of-the-art amenities.
The Clarins spa offers exclusive treatments using the aromatic and herbal healing benefits of essential oils, while the heated swimming pool is embellished by a scenic fog, inviting you to embrace the alpine ambiance.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hôtel LE BLIZZARD
8. Hôtel Avancher – easily one of the coolest hotels to stay in Val d’Isere perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Built over 6 decades ago, this modern, chic property is nestled in a peaceful location just a short walk from the village centre, and is a popular choice for friends, couples, and families in pursuit of a convenient and trendy accommodation.
Built in traditional stone and wood, a recent renovation has incorporated fresh décor and Savoyard touches. This quintessence has extended into its charming guestrooms, which feature a private terrace or balcony with sweeping mountain vistas.
The ‘Spa Avancher’ offers breath-taking views of the Face de Bellevarde, inviting you to unwind from an elevated position. The cosy wine bar and lounge area is the ultimate space to kick back in a warm, intimate atmosphere, topped with comfy sofas by a roaring fire.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hôtel Avancher
9. Hôtel Christiania – one of the resort’s leading hotels where guests can expect an exceptional service
Hôtel Christiania is one of the original five-star hotels in Val d’Isere, established 1949. Revel in magnificent mountain views, where the tradition of attentive and refined service is perpetuated in a unique haven of elegance and comfort.
Here you will be greeted to a warm welcome in a relaxed atmosphere, where a superb spa with indoor pool, sauna, and Turkish bath await you after a day on the slopes.
All of the 69 rooms are fitted with high-end amenities, which include satellite TVs with English speaking channels, and coffee-making facilities. The hotel enjoys a supreme location, where the L’Olympique and Solaise cable cars can be reached within a short walk.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hôtel Christiania
10. Hôtel Les Barmes De l’Ours – a sophisticated and trendy hotel with quirky chic design close to great ski lifts
A stay at Les Barmes De l’Ours begins with a charming welcome to the alpine scene, owing to the courteous staff presence. Designed with noble and authentic materials, the 76 cosy cocoons make you want to hibernate all winter long.
As you wake up and face the delightful spectacle of snow-capped peaks, you will embrace a state of inner bliss. The hotel is home to one of the French Alps’s trendiest spas, as well as three gourmet restaurants which welcome you with a tasty, refined cuisine experience.
The Sofa Bar is the lair of culture, and is ornated with book-filled shelves, paintings, sculptures, and topped with the hotel’s family atmosphere.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hôtel Les Barmes De l’Ours
11. Le Yule Hotel & Spa – a chic and stunning place to stay in Val d’Isere that offers a spa and a wellness center
Exceptionally located at the foot of the Bellevarde and Solaise slopes in the heart of Val d’Isere village, Le Yule is one of the French Alps’s most emblematic resorts.
The hotel takes its name from a legendary Scandinavian festival which symbolizes the rebirth of light, and welcomes you to enjoy the abundant jewels of alpine living.
The 39 guestrooms and suites evoke a contemporary Scandi spirit through bespoke furnishings, in the idyllic backdrop of dazzling mountain panoramas, and exuding optimal comfort.
The on-site bar becomes an effervescent hub by night, with character-filled cocktails, chef’s suggestions, and live music to be enjoyed in a dimmed light ambiance.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Yule Hotel & Spa
12. Hotel Tsanteleina – a polished and iconic hotel that offers an amazing gastronomic restaurant
Exceptional design work has seen Hotel Tsanteleina embellished with timber ceiling beams, chestnut-hued sofas, and nods to hunting cabin décor, evoking a modern alpine chalet-meets Scandinavian lodge vibe.
The 54 rooms are furnished with high quality bedding, and vary from wooden, ski-lodge style rooms to luxurious spaces with separate lounge areas. A key destination for ski lovers, you can revel in breath-taking panoramas from the comfort of your own cocooning haven.
The on-site restaurant serves delicious modern French cuisine, complete with a nightly cheese cart. The 600 m² Japanese spa invites you to escape with aromatic rituals which will transport you to a balanced and fulfilling world.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Tsanteleina
13. Hotel Ormelune – a modern and charming hotel set in the center of Val d’Isere’s original village
Treat your senses to a luxury mountain setting, as you lift your spirits to new heights at Hotel Ormelune, a quirky hotel set cheerfully off the beaten path.
A radiant humour suffuses the property, jam-packed with vibrant fun and intense colour, inviting you to capture the thrill of the great outdoors as you recharge your batteries.
The 56 guestrooms reflect the light-hearted grace of the clear mountain sky, which beams in through the windows to beautifully contrast the earthy tones and iridescence of the décor.
Contemporary French cuisine is served in the on-site restaurant, while the relaxing lounge bar with fireplace is the optimum spot for relaxing encounters alongside locals and travellers.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Ormelune
14. Chalet Hotel Du Fornet – an informal and cool seasonal chalet housed in a stone building
Situated at the foot of the Pisaillas glacier in the scenic old village of Le Fornet, this amiable, family-owned residence is festooned in a contemporary alpine style.
The traditional exterior belies the modern interiors, where the warm neo-mountain décor uses regional materials to evoke a sense of splendour.
The guestrooms feature thoughtfully selected woollens, old woods, and wall patinas to exude a sense of warmth and comfort, while the windows reveal the grandiose landscape of the surrounding mountains.
Comfort is further aroused in the bathrooms which favour graceful stones and stainless steel, but for an elevated experience, the communal relaxation area provides a jacuzzi, hammam, and blissful sauna.
- To book, check prices or availability for Chalet Hotel Du Fornet
15. Hôtel LA MOURRA – a refined chalet that offers stunning mountain views
Hôtel La Mourra is an exclusive collection of nine suites and four chalets, with interiors worthy of a magazine shoot. Individually decorated along the same contemporary alpine-chic theme, lots of natural wood complements the eclectic mix of reclaimed designer and warm-hued embellishments.
A sense of space is created by high ceilings, which is beautifully juxtaposed by the cosy alpine feel evoked by the exposed beams and tactile fabrics. A slick and stylish restaurant offers an air of relaxed opulence, alongside a bar designed to mimic the outside mountain range.
A notable feature of the property is the spa, which is a gorgeous expanse of grey marble with a 17-metre indoor pool, offering state-of-the-art ‘My Blend by Clarins’ facials.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hôtel LA MOURRA
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Paris
- Cool boutique hotels in Vienna
- Cool boutique hotels in Nice
- Cool boutique hotels in Brussels
- Cool boutique hotels in Munich
- Cool boutique hotels in Berlin
- Cool boutique hotels in Prague
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Zermatt
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Verbier
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Courchevel
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Meribel
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Tignes
- Cool and Unusual hotels in St Moritz
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Breuil-Cervinia
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Mayrhofen
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Kitzbühel
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Chamonix
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Val Thorens
Born and raised in Brazil, Gaby has always had a taste for the intriguing, the off-beat and the far flung. After travelling around most of South America, living in Spain and Italy and then moving to England, her feet have stayed continually twitchy. Studying for a degree in Spanish translation and then learning five more languages only poured more fuel onto her travelling ardor.
Gaby likes nothing better than discovering new destinations and meeting the locals, tasting the cuisine and hearing about the local stories. Her other indulgences include French cinema, boxing, photography, colourful manicures and soaking up the rays on a sun-infused beach. She counts Rio de Janeiro, Rome, Barcelona, Lisbon and Cornwall as her most favourite places in the world.