Perfectly situated atop the 3 Valleys region in the French Alps, the cosmopolitan resort hub of Val Thorens is one of the world’s most snow-sure destinations.
Its dramatic alpine scenery and its vibrant party atmosphere set the tone for one of the most memorable holidays imaginable. As a result, both students and luxury travellers flock to this picture-perfect destination, where epic adventures, gourmet cuisine, and a bustling social scene are on your doorstep.
Val Thorens’s hotels are a melting pot of winter adventurers, who come to take advantage of the tremendous ski-in/ski-out opportunities. From igloo-style boutiques to enormous mountain chalets, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Val Thorens, France (in no particular order)…
1. Hôtel Marielle – a new, hip and elegant hotel perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
Taking its name from France’s most successful alpine skiing champion Marielle Goitschel, this eclectic hotel faces the grandiose spectacle of the mountain, and is furnished with neat, cosy décor.
Marielle was a combative individual, and also one of the pioneers behind the foundation of Val Thorens in the 80s, and her character permeates the whole establishment.
The notion behind the hotel’s concept is that a busy day will begin with an adrenaline-packed adventure on the slopes, and draw to a close with an evening to remember.
As a result, guests can venture to the large terrace to savour an exquisite dining experience, before heading to the bar and enjoying a delicious, crafted cocktail.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hôtel Marielle
2. Hotel Koh-I Nor by Les Etincelles – a 5-star, elegant and trendy hotel where guests can enjoy Insta-worthy views of the mountains
Koh-I Nor, translating to ‘Mountain of Light’ in Persian, is a fitting appellation for this stunning mountain jewel. Cradled in light and backdropped by awe-inspiring 3 Valleys views, the hotel’s architectural grandeur features a resplendent diamond-shaped entrance, and large bay windows allowing the alpine sun to beam through.
Here, a gentle harmony reigns between elegance, relaxation, and gastronomy, leading to true unique moments in the heart of the world’s largest ski area.
The 3 on-site restaurants, the panoramic terrace, the lounge bar, and the 800 m² spa are designed to bathe you in luxury, topped by an exceptional, attentive service.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Koh-I Nor by Les Etincelles
3. Hotel Pashmina Le Refuge – a unique, upscale and 5-star boutique hotel located at one of the highest points in Europe
Relaxed and friendly, this modern-meets-retro hotel is furnished with sinking sofas, colourful rugs, old skis on the walls, and plenty of blond wood.
The firelit lobby greets you with many wooden tree and sheep sculptures, while the guestrooms are characterized by cosy woollen blankets, vivid cushions, and five-star amenities.
The apartment-style ‘Cosy Homes’ offer expansive living rooms and fully equipped kitchens, while some feature wood-burning stoves and private steam rooms.
On the roof, two igloos made from geodesic material offer a once-in-a-lifetime chance to watch the stars or the snow through transparent walls, with the additional option of a private outdoor hot tub.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Pashmina Le Refuge
4. Altapura – a cool, design and upscale hotel located in the heart of the world’s largest ski resort
In reminiscence of the panache of the great palaces, a chic Nordic atmosphere permeates through Altapura, an arty 5-star retreat with direct access to the ski lifts in the 3 Valleys area.
The hotel’s design plays a vivid contrast between a hushed tone and a festive, cosmopolitan atmosphere, to provide a tonic and cheerful stay in Val Thorens.
The decorations present a dynamic welcome on arrival through bleached wood, stone sculptures, quirky furniture, and a vibrant outdoor bar steeped in 80’s glamour.
The soft serenity of the guestrooms cultivates a very unique art of living, while the Pure Altitude Spa and the many inviting restaurants inspire you to live every moment to the fullest.
- To book, check prices or availability for Altapura
5. Fahrenheit Seven Val Thorens – a cool, lively and retro hotel perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
Emulating a unique club feel with four bars, a restaurant terrace and a spacious ski room, this hip 1970s hotel boasts an enviable position on the slopes of Europe’s highest ski village.
The vibe is a nod to its history as the first Val Thorens hotel, marked by brightly coloured sofas, geometric patterned carpets in the hallways, and bedroom doors emblazoned with black and white reminiscences of the region’s skiing memoires.
Cosy grey carpets and pictures of 1970s skiers continue the retro vibe into the guestrooms, which is bolstered by dial telephones and traditional furniture. Overlooking the pistes is La Rotisserie restaurant, which offers an eclectic twist on French dishes.
- To book, check prices or availability for Fahrenheit Seven Val Thorens
6. Le Val Thorens – one of the resorts first hotels providing guests with stylish, contemporary and retro stay
Nourishing the myth of the hotel’s rich history through vintage touches and brushed spruce & concrete, this ski-in/ski-out property emanates an air of cool and contemporary, from the twirling lobby to the eccentric in-house bar.
The zen-inspired spa steals the show, courtesy of its natural stone walls and a 15-metre pool with sweeping mountain panoramas, which complement its vibrant playlist.
The balcony areas are enveloped by a subdued light, elegantly harmonizing with the region’s majesty. Besides the finger-licking bistro dishes in the Brasserie, you can delight in Savoyard classics at ‘La Fondue, which is a restaurant brimming with alpine splendour.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Val Thorens
7. Le Fitz Roy, a Beaumier hotel – a contemporary, trendy and stylish hotel ideal for a family vacation
Extensively renovated in 2013, the design-led ‘Hôtels d’en Haut’ (HEH) group have made Le Fitz Roy much more upmarket in recent years, contributing to a five-star eclecticism combining traditional mountain architecture with a modern design twist.
The expansive atrium is steeped in natural stone and oak, opening onto a wide lobby-lounge and sun terrace revealing ringside views of the surrounding peaks.
This homely, sophisticated mountain retreat boasts 58 rooms and duplex suites, all adorned with real fireplaces and balconies. For an evening of epic ‘cuisine bourgeoise’, the hotel’s restaurant truly hits the spot, and complements its menu with a first-rate service.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Fitz Roy, a Beaumier hotel
8. Le Sherpa – a traditional, charming chalet-style hotel where guests can experience gourmet delicacies throughout a 5-course meal
Slide off the slopes and straight into an environment of traditional alpine chic at this epic Val Thorens gem, eloquently crafted and family-run since 1976. Log fires and classy mountain hues set the tone for a rustic welcome, which radiates into the charming dining room which serves delicious homemade cuisine.
This Savoyard chalet pleases guests with panoramic 3 Valleys views, which can be enjoyed in a benevolent atmosphere where relaxation, indulgence, and well-being exist in blissful harmony.
Also embracing panoramic views is the Cosmic Sauna on the terrace, which is graced by a steam room and a hot tub.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Sherpa
9. Hotel Des 3 Vallées Val Thorens – a family-friendly, cozy boutique hotel designed to feel like a home-away-from-home
Offering the comfort of a family home in the backdrop of the effervescent mountains, Hotel Des 3 Vallées is suffused by a relaxed atmosphere, inviting you to revel in life’s magical moments.
A warm wood décor from old mountain pasture farms adorns the guestrooms, while beautiful embellishments exude softness and tranquillity.
The refined eatery ‘L’Olympiski’ is ready to guide your senses on a culinary journey as you gaze out over the mountain horizon and chat the night away.
The cosy lounge area is a melting pot of adventurous travellers, and offers a serene setting to indulge in an afternoon tea, or to listen to live music in the evening.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Des 3 Vallées Val Thorens
10. Montana Lodge – a rustic-chic, vibrant and cozy accommodation within walking distance of local ski lifts
One of Europe’s highest hotels, Montana Lodge offers the Wow-Factor and is designed to make you feel special as you soak up the intimate ambiance.
Decorated with warm-coloured tapestries, the interiors of wood and stone reflect the pleasure of the surrounding ski resort, and complement the snowy 3 Valleys views which can be admired from the comfort of your own room.
As a guest, you can enjoy access to the Spa Les Bains du Montana, which will rejuvenate the senses through a charming pool, sauna, and hammam. As you arrive here, your ski equipment will be ready and waiting for you, owing to the hotel’s exceptional hospitality service.
- To book, check prices or availability for Montana Lodge
11. Residence Montana Plein Sud – a quirky, modern and vibrant accommodation featuring an indoor pool and sauna
Embellishing a traditional ambiance with a modern touch, Plein Sud awaits you with a luxury experience in a south facing, ski-in/ski-out haven.
The residence benefits from a privileged ray of sun over the snow-capped peaks, which can be relished from many of the cosy nooks. As you return from a day rich in sensations, you can curl up in a spacious apartment where wood and stone are given pride of place, or enter the world of alpine well-being in the on-site spa.
Here, an indoor swimming pool, sauna, hammam, and treatment cabin will offer you moments of refined tranquillity.
- To book, check prices or availability for Residence Montana Plein Sud
12. Village Igloo Val Thorens – one of the most unique stays in Val Thorens ideal for those wanting an unforgettable experience
Lying across a stunning plateau, this snow-covered igloo is a cavernous chamber with wooden floorboards, and is the perfect spot to savour something different during your ski vacation.
A standout feature is the beds which are made of ice, yet are topped with a waterproof mattress and a Polar-Trek sleeping bed, making for a genuine night of cosiness.
Before laying low for the night, a delicious Savoyard fondue dinner is served alongside complimentary shots of sweet Génépi liqueur. A fully stocked bar is capped by an ice counter, around which you can sit merrily at luxe wooden tables in full winter clothing.
- To book, check prices or availability for Village Igloo Val Thorens
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Chamonix
- Cool boutique hotels in Méribel
- Cool boutique hotels in Tignes
- Cool boutique hotels in Courchevel
- Cool boutique hotels in Verbier
- Cool boutique hotels in Val d’Isere
- Cool boutique hotels in Paris
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Interlaken
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Villars
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Megeve
Gary is an award winning full time professional photographer and videographer with too much wanderlust for his own good. Fuelled by strong coffee, you’ll often find him wandering well off hiking trails in search of interesting photographic subjects or scenery to video. Self taught and with the use of pioneering digital techniques, he quickly built up a strong client base and has worked with many prestigious organisations, including GQ, BBC, London Fashion Week, Grazia, Sky, Metro, Vogue Italia. He specialising in evocative images of people, places and cinematic videography and his goal is to make the viewer look twice and engage. As well as a penchant for good design, the ketogenic diet and Hungarian Vizslas, he also has a huge affection for Chicago, Bucharest, Scandinavia, Croatia and absolutely everywhere in Italy. Find him on Instagram @garynansome, Twitter @garynansome and his website https://garynunn.co.uk/