Love is forever in the air in Verona, a city steeped in history and romance. Best known for its role in Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, the city attracts a multinational flock of tourists to its pretty piazzas and maze-like lanes.
Beyond its Renaissance-style charm, Verona is a bustling metropolis, with its core dominated by a mammoth, remarkably well-preserved 1st-century amphitheatre. Throw in countless churches, awe-inspiring bridges, sumptuous food and wine, and impressive art, and the city shapes up as one of Italy’s most eclectic gems.
Brimming with timeless beauty, Verona’s hotels radiate romance and well-being, and range from gorgeous townhouse boutiques to mansions which mix modern with the traditional. Here are my favourite cool and unusual hotels in Verona, Italy (in no particular order)…
1. Hotel Indigo Verona – Grand Hotel Des Arts, an IHG Hotel – a beautiful, romantic and chic hotel with Insta-worthy features perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Impeccable service and impressive design are the hallmarks of this culturally significant property. Sculptures, oil paintings, and stunning showcases of modern art feature everywhere, which in my opinion, makes this hotel stand out among the accommodations in the area.
A sophisticated atmosphere is lent by the large antique mirrors, chandeliers, and plush sofas in the common rooms, where fresh tea, coffee, and cakes are laid out every day.
The rooms are tastefully decorated in neutral tones, and the L’Occitane toiletries in the bathrooms are a lovely touch. Our room came with exquisite views over the hotel’s landscaped garden, while others look directly out onto Corso Porta Nuova, one of the city’s main streets.
- To book, check prices and availability Hotel Indigo Verona – Grand Hotel Des Arts, an IHG Hotel
2. Hotel Milano & SPA***S – a modern, trendy and unique boutique spa hotel with stunning Instaworthy views of the city
With its central location, Hotel Milano & Spa is the perfect spot to dive right into the cultural treasures of Verona. The property is clad head to toe in elegant hues, and a boho-chic ambiance characterizes the interior décor.
The indescribable view from the Terrace Arena Sky Lounge Bar & Restaurant provided endless moments of romance for my partner and me. We treated ourselves here to delightful aperitifs and classy wines, and spent the night gazing across the illuminated architectural majesty of the city.
Moments of bliss await in the exclusive on-site spa, where you can take advantage of a Finnish sauna, a steam bath, an ice waterfall, and an experience shower.
- To book, check prices and availability Hotel Milano & SPA***S
3. Hotel Gabbia D’Oro – glamorous, unique and elegant boutique accommodation situated in the beautiful square Piazza delle Erbe
Situated on the corner of Verona’s most charming square Piazza delle Erbe, this eclectic hotel is set in a grand 18th-century building and includes original features such as wooden ceilings, frescoes, and antique paintings.
Owing to the hotel’s extraordinary maintenance of its traditional features, meandering through the property brings to light a relic of times gone by.
The guestrooms, adorned with oriental carpets, luxurious fabrics, and period furnishings, are teeming with elegance and sophistication. I thoroughly enjoyed the daily breakfast buffet, however, a quick stroll through the neighbourhood also lands you at a wide range of quirky and traditional eateries.
- To book, check prices and availability Hotel Gabbia D’Oro
4. Boutique Hotel Trieste – a very Instagrammable, hip, fun and quirky accommodation perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
This graceful boutique hotel reignites a passion for urban discovery, through its charming selection of colours, sculptures, and artwork pointing to the city’s cultural roots.
The 21 stylishly designed and uniquely decorated rooms are equipped with a balcony or terrace, and come with modern features, refreshing visuals, and high-end amenities.
I was immediately put at ease upon entry to the lobby, which is a glamorous living room perfect for working, relaxing, and socializing.
My favourite space of all however was the exclusive Rooftop and Bar, which evolves from a relaxing space into a vibrant hub of entertainment by night.
- To book, check prices and availability Boutique Hotel Trieste
5. Vista Palazzo – a contemporary, trendy and romantic boutique hotel featuring spa and wellness facilities
With its timeless Veneto style, Vista Palazzo brings together passions for art, music, and design, to optimize a sense of luxury for guests.
I loved the cosy, old-fashioned library room, where I spent some relaxing hours reading, listening to ambient music, and savouring a delicious pot of tea. The guestrooms each tell a story, and the opulence of the building’s heritage combines with contemporary comforts to strike a balance between well-being and elegance.
The on-site restaurant is imbued with a creative flair, and enlivened by experimentation with the best of local products, in addition to an exciting collection of Italy’s finest wines. The 360-degree view from the Infinity Bar on the rooftop terrace is nothing short of magical!
- To book, check prices and availability Vista Palazzo
6. NH Collection Palazzo Verona – an elegant, 5-star and stylish hotel steps away from local popular attractions
This 5-star luxury hotel is a welcoming retreat, situated walking distance from Verona’s many cultural attractions. The interiors preserve the heritage of the 14th-century building, while adding touches of modern comfort in the form of state-of-the-art amenities and plush fabrics.
I booked one of the opulent suites with stunning views across the city’s gleaming rooftops, which was especially pretty come nighttime.
Each day was kickstarted peacefully with an expansive buffet breakfast, and ended in the lavish restaurant. Here, local and national dishes were served in a quaint, traditional atmosphere.
- To book, check prices and availability NH Collection Palazzo Verona
7. San Leonardo Suites – a cool, hip and bright accommodation offering bike hire for guests to explore the area
Located a mere 900 metres from Piazza delle Erbe, the San Leonardo Suites bring you to the most prestigious residential area of Verona.
This newly inaugurated structure is beautified by designer furnishings which create a modern, minimalist environment. Glass, wood, and vibrant pops of colour are the hallmarks of the interior aesthetic.
The suites feature pretty sprinkles of nature in the form of potted plants, which surround the seating areas and evoke a character of modern hip. Throughout the property you will find elegant boutique décor, intimate lounging areas, and large windows which capture stunning frames of the surrounding cityscape.
- To book, check prices and availability San Leonardo Suites
8. Hotel Firenze – a vibrant, quirky and cool accommodation boutique accommodation where guests can bring along their furry friends to enjoy a great vacation
Nestled in the heart of Verona, close to the city’s beautiful landmarks, the cool and classy Hotel Firenze is the perfect spot to combine an urban retreat with a luxury getaway.
The accommodations have been crafted with high attention to detail, and the furnishings radiate elegance, sophistication, and opulence. Bespoke wall art, handcrafted carpets, and glamorous seating areas truly give this hotel a unique feel. My room had the added pleasure of a hydromassage tub, which induced blissful moments of wellness in the comfort of my own sanctuary.
The breakfast was a delightful start to each day, and consisted of homemade pastries, cakes, and brioches, accompanied by a whole host of savoury options.
- To book, check prices and availability Hotel Firenze
9. Corte Realdi Verona – a unique, elegant and spacious accommodation providing a traditional Italian breakfast each morning
Experience the true essence of ‘La Dolce Vita’ at this graceful collection of luxury suites and boutique rooms, situated in the historic heart of Verona.
Upon entering, the unique fusion of a renaissance era building and a modern Italian design gave me a real sense of luxury. Throughout the corridors, communal areas, and guestrooms, traditional tapestries and colourful decorative objects bring a unique prestige to the property.
In terms of amenities, Corte Realdi was everything you could want from a five-star hotel, but with the seclusion and homeliness of your own apartment. Every morning here, you are invited to awaken to charming city views on your private balcony!
- To book, check prices and availability Corte Realdi Verona
10. Residenza Bonifacio – Adults Only – an intimate, historic and rustic-chic accommodation perfect for a couple’s romantic getaway
From the beating heart of Verona, Residenza Bonifacio welcomes guests to experience the hidden beauties of the metropolis. The rooms are furnished with elegance, and are a prelude to the historical and cultural value of the city.
The wooden beamed ceilings of the 16th-century have been brought to light with a recent head-to-toe revamp, and now loom large over a whole host of modern, trendy décor.
I stayed in the Romeo room, which boasts a view of the central courtyard, and consists of a plush bed, a lavish living area, and a modern bathroom. You can also book the Juliet room, which is romantic, enchanting, and intimate.
- To book, check prices and availability Residenza Bonifacio – Adults Only
11. Relais Balcone di Giulietta – a stylish, chic and charming accommodation located in the heart of Verona
This privileged residence is housed in the courtyard that overlooks the world’s most famous balcony: That of the love story of Romeo and Juliet.
I thought Relais Balcone di Giulietta was the perfect basecamp for discovering the city at a fast pace, with almost all the landmarks reachable by foot.
The 16 elegantly furnished rooms boast a refined style, where 17th-century frescoes, designer pieces, and handcrafted furnishings stand side by side, with an unparalleled view of Juliet’s balcony setting the backdrop.
Owing to its supreme location, from the hotel you can simply meander through the surrounding streets and you will definitely stumble across a few mouth-watering dishes in local restaurants.
- To book, check prices and availability Relais Balcone di Giulietta
12. Musicisti House – a classic, cosy and modern accommodation within walking distance of bars and restaurants
Nestled in a leafy residential area a short stroll from Osteria Sottocosta Plaza, this stunning hotel immerses guests in Verona’s cultural panache.
It is a quaint Bed & Breakfast-style lodge where every room pairs traditional elements with modern hues, and tells a unique story. I loved the graceful decorative objects that are placed around the property, from the musical instruments to the boutique décor.
Each unit boasts a minibar, a fridge, and tea and coffee-making facilities, alongside a flat-screen HDTV with satellite channels. Here, being surrounded by greenery certainly made me feel pleasantly detached from the hustle and bustle of city life.
- To book, check prices and availability Musicisti House
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Lake Garda
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Lake Como
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Milan
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Venice
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Bologna
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Pisa
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Genoa
Scott started his travelling life back in 1999, when he headed off on a solo jaunt to South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia with just a backpack, a camera and a spirit for adventure. After that, the travel bug bit hard and now he is always seeking to head off somewhere new. Over the years he has lived in Italy, Qatar, Ireland, UK and the US but his spiritual home will always be Rome as this is the city which most satisfies his unrelenting craving for culture, good food and great football. Scott loves nothing better than to be behind the camera and also runs his own blog and Instagram page. He also counts Melbourne, Cape Town and Tel Aviv among his favourite places. Follow him on Twitter and Instagram at @scottbalaam