The fine, elegant and very beautiful capital of Austria is a city everyone should at least once. Located on the Danube River and once home to Mozart, Beethoven and even Sigmund Freud, charming Vienna has long been a magnet for artists, musicians, poets and intellectuals.
Start the day with a coffee and an Apfelstrudel in one of the many historic cafes, wander through narrow cobblestone streets of the historic centre, explore the Imperial palaces, visit a few of the many museums and art galleries, dine at a Michelin star restaurant and then head to the opera for a world-class performance.
Now find a hotel befitting of such a city, so from intimate boutiques to grand and modern, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Vienna, Austria (in no particular order)...
1. 25hours Hotel beim Museums Quartier – an ultra-hip design hotel perfect for partying Millenials and Gen Zs
At this quirky hotel, guests immerse themselves in the colourful circus world of clowns, artists, and elephants! 25 Hours offers a variety of fun, entertainment, and diverse possibilities.
It is not your average hotel. Surreal and exotic, sexy and surprising, this one-of-a-kind lodge is individually vintage, with exclusive wallpaper by Berlin illustrator Olaf Hayek, which spreads into the design of the 183 guestrooms and 34 suites.
The attic has a spectacular view over Vienna City, and the hotel’s bar and restaurants serve the best in-house snacks and drinks in town.
The 12 rooms in the Gigantic Panorama category have up to 54sqm of open living space, with floor-to-ceiling windows boasting tremendous views set to leave a lasting impression on its visitors.
- To book, check prices or availability for 25hours Hotel beim Museums Quartier
2. SO/Vienna – an upscale and very Instagrammable hotel located in the heart of Vienna
At So/Vienna, the lively, expressive energy is there to keep guests constantly fascinated. Here, luxury comes with a playful and consciously rebellious interpretation, making this quirky hotel a dazzling addition to the local scene.
On top of this, it offers award-winning cuisine, and an impressive view over Vienna, characteristic of its ‘Just Say SO’ service. The hotel expresses a fascinating combination of old and new, with new architecture in a traditional building, which is a rather common theme in Vienna these days.
The young, aspiring scene at the SO/ Vienna is perfect for those art lovers. The 156 rooms and 26 suites are all opulent and monochromatic.
- To book, check prices or availability for So/Vienna
3. Jaz in the City Vienna – a modern, funky and hip place to stay in Vienna
For a perfect blend of Grätzel culture, Viennese charm, and a constantly optimistic beat, Jaz in the City is all you need. The hotel mixes up the traditional cityscape of Vienna with a euphoric, local mash-up of design, art and cuisine.
Located between the neighbourhood’s own Naschmarkt and the shopping streets, at Jaz in the City, the true Viennese vibe meets romantic beats, with a futuristic vision.
The hotel’s Rhythms Bar & Kitchen is your perfect spot for exhilarating after-show parties or back-stage drinks, for those who want to remain ever closer to the music which typifies this one-of-a-kind hotel.
- To book, check prices or availability for Jaz in the City Vienna
4. Hotel Gilbert – a remarkable boutique style greenery hotel near major museums
Hotel Gilbert is an open-minded house, thriving on diversity, and celebrating community in all its undertakings. This family-run, close-knit community is always on hand to assist guests with the highest standards, and place a profound priority on well-being.
The hotel boasts rooftop apartments with a view of Vienna, a green façade and flower meadow, a gym and a sauna.
Whether traveling alone, for work, or with others, at the Gilbert you can opt for a cosy space, and treat yourself to the best of the best, right on the doorstep of vibrant city life.
The hotel is situated rather conveniently between the picturesque Spittelberg neighbourhood and the internationally renowned MuseumsQuartier.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Gilbert
5. Hotel MOTTO – this chic and beautiful hotel is one of the best places to stay in Vienna
Through the gates of this hotel, you almost enter the Golden Age in Paris. Boasting countless urban stories, hotel Motto is a space for people who long for a new attitude towards the simple art of ‘living’.
Here, uncompromising authenticity meets multifaceted charisma. The hotel bridges the gap between the elegance of a byegone decade, and the urban culture of a self-confident society. Sensual and detailed, passionate and relaxed, these rooms tell the dreamy and creative love stories of Vienna and Paris.
Furthermore, the Japanese purism, the touch of Scandinavian cosiness, and the French flair, are reflected in the beautiful interiors at hotel Motto, which inspire guests to dream, linger, and feel at home.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Motto
6. Pentahotel Vienna – a cool, fun and trendy hotel with a bohemian style
A sacred space is provided just for guests, at this gorgeous hotel. Upon arrival at the Pentahotel, you will immediately step in the spacious Pentalounge, a space that seamlessly blends lobby, hotel and bar.
Each of the 117 rooms are commodious, and boast a modernist design. They are decked out with contemporary amenities, allowing you to feel rested and restored for what lies ahead.
The hotel’s music playlist is carefully curated and up to date with current trends, taking lobby music to a whole new level. Penta is the perfect location from which to explore this iconic city, sitting just around the corner from Vienna’s historic city centre.
- To book, check prices or availability for Pentahotel Vienna
7. Max Brown 7th District – a colorful, kitsch, and fun party hotel to stay in Vienna
This gorgeously-appointed hotel is a grand home-base for your Viennese adventure, set right in the heart of the city’s creative centre, mere steps from all the main highlights.
The hotel makes a huge effort with every small detail, and truly desires to make guests feel like locals rather than tourists. With fresh bread delivered daily by local suppliers, fantastic coffee in the neighbourhood, and classic, plush bedding, the hotel has truly mastered the art of hospitality.
Max Brown 7th District is perfectly situated in Vienna’s 7th District, known as the young, vibrant and creative heart of the city, where guests are always walking distance to the main highlights of Vienna.
To book, check prices or availability for Max Brown 7th District
8. Andaz Vienna Am Belvedere – a concept by Hyatt – a travel sustainable hotel that offers panoramic city views
At Andaz Vienna, creative minds and artistic spirits are stimulated by imaginative and contemporary interiors and furniture. Here, guests can embark on a journey of discovery, and indulge in the creative soul of the hotel, and its distinctive art collection.
Situated close to Belvedere Palace, the hotel showcases contemporary local design, and is inspired by the impressive architecture, diverse cuisine, and irresistible charm of one of Europe’s grandest capitals.
The hotel’s 303 urban guestrooms boast imaginative interior designs, with high-end amenities to make guests feel at home. To top this off, the floor-to-ceiling windows in the rooms provide stunning views over the Palace Belvedere and the city.
- To book, check prices or availability for Andaz Vienna Am Belvedere – a concept by Hyatt
9. Hotel Josefine – a historic-chic hotel that features a hip ‘roaring 20’s’ vibe
Hotel Josefine, built in 1896 and revitalized in the glamour of the 20s and 30s, is the perfect, special place to immerse yourself in elegance, and forget time and space.
The 49 rooms combine the traditional architecture of a Viennese Gründerzeit building with modern comfort. The surrealistic design in the art deco style, the crystal chandeliers, the tiles with 3D effect, and the headboards covered with traditional Viennese wickerwork, are perfectly appointed to guide guests to stop, think, and bathe in beauty.
Rooms boast Box spring beds with regionally handcrafted mattresses, cuddly down duvets and pillows, and modern bathrooms equipped with care products from the sustainable, vegan cult brand Votary.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Josefine
10. Ruby Lissi Hotel Vienna – a modern hotel that boasts a rustic decor
Named after the well-travelled Empress Elisabeth, the Ruby Lissi has taken designs from old train wagons, hot air balloons, and steamships.
These design features are combined with many imperial accents, to create the optimum ambiance. Guests are invited to relax on leather benches, armchairs, and exclusive couches, while the bar menu has been carefully tailored to modern tastes.
All of the rooms in the Lissi reflect a lean luxury style, and feature large comfy beds, dimmable lights, and a rain shower.
Vienna’s most popular attractions are only a short walk away, with Schwedenplatz around the corner, and Wien Mitte station only a 3-minute subway ride away.
- To book, check prices or availability for Ruby Lissi Hotel Vienna
11. Arthotel ANA Boutique Six – a trendy boutique hotel that offers contemporary amenities
At the Arthotel, contemporary style meets historical flair, in an urban, hip environment. Surrounded by Wilhelminian style buildings in the 6th District, this chic boutique hotel provides the perfect platform to dive into excellent shopping experiences in Vienna’s elegant Mariahilfer Strasse, where big names pay homage.
The expression of boutique flair and homely harmony also radiates into the comfortably furnished rooms and suites, whose interiors form a pleasant symbiosis of form and colour.
The hotel’s comforts include large double beds and comfortable sofa beds, bespoke furnishings, and tech-savvy amenities. All this in the comfort of a green courtyard haven, which will certainly ensure a good night’s sleep.
- To book, check prices or availability for Arthotel ANA Boutique Six
12. Zola Hotel – Palais de Bohème Adults Only – a beautiful upscale hotel housed in a historic building and contemporary decor
Zola Hotel boasts a fantastic location, in the vibrant and dynamic 2nd district, yet conveniently away from the hustle and bustle.
An exclusive hotel experience is on offer here, owing to its secluded setting with a laid-back vibe.
The grand architecture and high ceilings evoke an ‘Old Palazzo’ vibe, which is complimented by the hotel’s personality, vision, and style.
A bohemian, chic ambiance underscores the hotel, and exudes a free-living, creative character. Guests at Zola Hotel feel like they are on a voyage of discovery, through the interplay of different epochs, textures, and inspired materials.
This hotel is a true destination to get lost and wander, whilst enjoying culinary delights and locally-crafted beverages.
- To book, check prices or availability for Zola Hotel – Palais de Bohème Adults Only
13. The Student Hotel Vienna – a vibrant, hip and fun hotel close to great attractions perfect for younger guests
This is more than just a hotel, it is a hub for co-living and co-working. It is a place where travellers, students, and locals, get together to stay, learn, work, and play.
The modern rooms are suitable to any traveller, and the work spaces are designed to allow freelancers and business leaders the optimum space to think.
The hotel’s flexible, fully-equipped spaces are the ideal spot for productive meetings and events, and the overall vibe is a creative, buzzing, and welcoming atmosphere.
This student-centred hotel features a signature bold and beautiful design, and is great value for money. Located close to the Augarten and the iconic Prater Park, it is also the perfect base for leaving your mark in this endlessly inspiring city.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Student Hotel Vienna
14. Hotel Topazz & Lamée – a trendy, hip and innovative boutique hotel located in Vienna’s first district
Hotel Topazz & Lamée boasts the most central space out of all the hotels in the urban metropolis of Vienna. It is a gem beyond all conventions, and was beautifully inspired and shaped by Hedy Lamarr.
Overlooking St. Stephen’s Cathedral, the long history of Vienna can be captured instantly, by casting your eyes on the unique architecture and luxurious design of the hotel, which creates an emblematic fusion of the grand past and modern present.
The breath-taking, award-winning architecture, the colossal furnishings, and the sustainable philosophies which shape the hotel, set a standard which sees visitors returning regularly.
The hotel’s breath-taking cityscape backdrop invites guests to enjoy, chat, and linger, in a supreme setting.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Topazz & Lamée
15. Hotel Am Konzerthaus Vienna – MGallery – an elegant boutique hotel perfect for a romantic stay
Surrounded by impressive art and music houses, here we have the rather opulent Hotel Am Konzerthaus. It was beautifully inspired by the enchanting history, and historical music & opera scene in Vienna, which is one of the most renowned in the world.
The hotel’s central location means guests can reach many attractions within a short walk, and the charming staff presence at the hotel means individual Vienna programmes can be tailored to guests’ wishes.
Vienna is known as a romantic destination, with many options from museum exhibitions to classical music concerts. The comfort and elegance of the rooms at this hotel impress its guests with the highest standards, courtesy of its classic style elements mixed with striking eye-catchers from the world of theatre and stage.
Tastefully decorated in an Art Noveau style, fine works from famous Austrian painter Gustav Klimt also feature in the rooms.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Am Konzerthaus – MGallery
16. grätzlhotel Karmelitermarkt – a fun and funky hotel set in a trendy neighborhood
This hotel is truly unique, in that old shops have been reborn as suites, bearing the slick, understated hallmark of Viennese BWM architects.
The live-as-local concept that runs through the hotel is rather imaginative, and the huge-street level windows are the perfect spot for people watching.
Forward-thinking architects have worked their minimalist magic on this property, and have allowed guests to immerse into a neighbourhood in the newfound cool and quirky side Vienna.
Each of the rooms boast Nespresso makers, quality Samovar teas, and a minibar, as well as bathrooms honeycombed in white hexagonal tiles, with rain showers and Saint Charles soaps.
- To book, check prices or availability for grätzlhotel Karmelitermarkt
17. AZIMUT Hotel Vienna – a pet-friendly hotel near great transports links
Located only a few minutes’ walk from Belvedere Palace and the main train station, the AZIMUT welcomes guests following an entire rebirth in 2017.
Now, it is a well-known spot for both business and leisure travellers, and provides a relaxing haven to return to after spending exciting hours in the Danube metropolis.
The 180 rooms boast complimentary Wi-Fi, and comfortable bathroom amenities to meet guests’ every need. Every morning, an organic breakfast is served, which includes fresh coffee.
The onsite, spacious bar serves carefully-crafted cocktails, however owing to the hotel’s flawless location, the many eateries and bars which make Vienna a world-class destination, are right on your doorstep!
- To book, check prices or availability for AZIMUT Hotel Vienna
18. Parks 73 The Townhouse Hotel – a cozy and charming hotel that provides family rooms
Here we have a little paradise in the form of an apartment hotel, which has spared no expense in creating its 49 residential units.
All these stylish and comfortable accommodations invite guests to a peaceful sanctuary amidst a city steeped in history. The lavishly designed garden lounge, the gorgeous views of the countryside, and the instillation of the most modern equipment with high-quality materials, make Parks 73 a beautiful utopia.
The garden with bar, and the 600 m² roof terrace with sunroof and lounge area, offer further spaces to unwind and relax in pure serenity.
Despite the pulsating life of the capital, it is important to prioritise down time every now and then, and here is the perfect pad for that.
- To book, check prices or availability for Parks 73 The Townhouse Hotel
19. BASSENA Wien Messe Prater – one of the best city views hotels that feature colorful decor
The first of two BASSENA hotels in Vienna, here the BASSENA Wien Messe Prater is located located in the trendy district of Leopoldstadt, and offers a perfect combination of a relaxing retreat, and a lively, trendy hotel.
The rooms are all perfectly-appointed and decorated, retaining an alluring vibe, where guests can linger in a relaxed manner. The kitchen is a café, bistro, and bar, but more-so, a place for embracing togetherness.
The property is highly acclaimed for its sustainability credentials, and all its intentions are rooted in a strong desire to respect the greenery, nature, and peaceful surroundings. At the BASSENA, your stay will be transformed into a special and memorable experience.
- To book, check prices or availability for BASSENA Wien Messe Prater
20. Zoku Vienna – a spacious and stylish aparthotel that features a rooftop terrace
Here at Zoku Vienna, business travellers who want to live and work in the city for any amount of time, are provided with a beautifully re-invented apartment hotel.
Zoku is in a category of its own, in that it is a kind of home-office hybrid, whilst still being a spacious, relaxing place to live and socialize with like-minded people.
The rooftop social spaces offer a buzzing Bar, a Living Room, a Living Kitchen Restaurant, coworking spaces, and plenty of outdoor terrace space to cater to an international mix of residents.
The Kindred Spirits bar, open from dusk ‘till dawn, is a great spot to nip in for an energizing coffee, while the living room is a homey space designed for relaxing around comfy couches.
- To book, check prices or availability for Zoku Vienna
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Budapest
- Cool boutique hotels in Prague
- Cool boutique hotels in Paris
- Cool boutique hotels in Munich
- Cool boutique hotels in Berlin
- Cool boutique hotels in Copenhagen
- Cool boutique hotels in Amsterdam
- Cool boutique hotels in Rome
- Cool Boutique hotels in Athens
- Cool boutique hotels in Nice
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Brussels
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Val d’Isere
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Zermatt
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Verbier
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Venice
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Courchevel
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Tignes
- Cool and Unusual hotels in St Moritz
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lyon
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Istanbul
- Cool and unusual hotels in The Dolomites
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Krakow
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Kitzbühel
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Innsbruck
- Cool and Unusual hotels in St Anton
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cologne
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Zurich
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Regensburg
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Salzburg
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lech
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bruges
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cortina
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Hamburg
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Frankfurt
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Graz
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Basel
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lake Geneva
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Stuttgart
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lucerne
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Luxembourg
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Hvar
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Siena
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Rovinj
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Warsaw
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.