A classic and very popular sunny beach town, the gorgeous coastal gem in southeastern Virginia is filled with multiple white-sand beaches, a very long boardwalk, lively nightspots, a rich maritime history, fun family-friendly attractions, independent shops and locally sourced food restaurants.
Now you just need to find an equally awesome place to stay, so from sleek and modern high rises to awesome vacation rentals here are some of the best cool and unusual hotels in Virginia Beach, Virginia (in no particular order)...
1. Oceanaire, a Hilton Vacation Club – a fun, modern and upscale resort that overlooks the oceanfront
Sitting right on the boardwalk, Hilton Vacation Club is your beachfront retreat with fantastic views, wonderful service and a lovely atmosphere for a luxurious stay in Virginia Beach.
Rooms at this cool hotel are dominated by spectacular views, whether across the beach and ocean or looking across the boardwalk and the vibrant life of Virginia Beach itself.
Décor is modern, focusing on clean lines and space, with quality materials and tech, including full kitchen facilities for many rooms. You can enjoy complete comfort as you relax after a day exploring, but the hotel has a few surprises too.
An outdoor terrace lets you enjoy dining with views over the ocean, with both indoor and outdoor pools, a fitness center and full concierge service ensure your beachside stay goes perfectly.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hilton Vacation Club Oceanaire Virginia Beach
2. Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront – a modern, cool and Instagrammable hotel located near the famous Virginia Beach boardwalk
Sitting just off the boardwalk with incredible views across the beach to the ocean beyond, this is a cool hotel where the interior view is as spectacular as the exterior.
Walk into the lobby and you are transported to an island paradise, with greenery everywhere, wooden features contrasting with concrete and comfortable wood seating everywhere. It instantly puts you at ease, and this is the story of a stay at the Oceanfront.
Rooms feature modern style with that same blend of wood and cool colors, while quality materials ensure that it is every bit as luxuriously comfortable as you expect. Each of the 305 rooms feature ocean views, which get you in the mood for the dining experience too.
Seafood dominates, with locally sourced ingredients a feature, whether dining of the rooftop in Orion’s Roof, with its Asian Fusion cuisine and Sushi or outside at the Tulu Seaside Bar and grill. With a fitness center and indoor and outdoor pools, Oceanfront brings the Virginia Beach experience to the next level.
- To book, check prices or availability for Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront
3. Delta Hotels by Marriott Virginia Beach Bayfront Suites – a trendy, stylish and chic hotel steps away from a private beach
Right on the beach with spectacular sea views, Bayfront Suites is a real home from home on the sand. Rooms feature bespoke furnishings with rugs and artwork that bring the vivid blues of the ocean into the room, giving a wonderful sense of space and location.
Everywhere in the hotel, elegant design and subtle splashes of color intersperse high-quality cabinetry and beautiful natural wood finishes.
Gran snacks at the Café 2800 coffee bar or try outdoor dining just steps from the hotel’s private beach offering a range of locally sourced seafood at the Tin Cup Kitchen.
A fitness center and bicycle rental keep you active, while laundry services and a convenience store just make your trip so much easier.
- To book, check prices or availability for Delta Hotels by Marriott Virginia Beach Bayfront Suites
4. The Westin Virginia Beach Town Center – a trendy, cool and lavish hotel in a perfect location for those wanting to explore
At the heart of the town center, close to Apex Entertainment, Adventure Park and more, while still within easy reach of the boardwalk and beach, The Westin is in a great location for those that wish to explore everything this magical area has to offer.
The spectacular lobby brings water features and ocean colors everywhere you look, its an incredible introduction of a special hotel.
Rooms at this trendy and cool Virginia Beach hotel are spacious, with an uncluttered, elegant look that emphasizes space, aided by the huge windows that let light flood in during the day, it’s a very relaxing place to spend time.
Interlude Restaurant is the in-house dining option, offering America cuisine and is considered one of the best in the area, while a market pantry is available for grabbing snacks and beverages on the go as you explore this wonderful city.
With a fitness studio and indoor pool for maintaining your workouts, it’s a wonderful hotel for those wanting more than the beach on their trip.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Westin Virginia Beach Town Center
5. The Cavalier Virginia Beach, Autograph Collection – an elegant and historic hotel that is one of the most upscale places to stay in Virginia Beach
One of the most famous hotels in the area, The Cavalier is one of the best historic hotels in the country, having played host to no less than 10 presidents.
It sits on top of a hill overlooking Virginia Beach and the beautiful Atlantic Ocean, and following a multi-year renovation, it now offers 85 stunning rooms and a heady mix of classic 1930’s luxury alongside modern opulence.
Rooms at this trendy modern party hotel embrace the wonder of art deco style with bespoke furniture, the highest quality materials and incredible comfort for every guest.
A gym and spa, along with both indoor and outdoor pools provide the support for body and mind, while three restaurants offering American cuisine for both more formal and casual dining depending on your preference.
A coffee room and two bars complete the picture, including the hotels own distillery called Tarnished Truth, which makes a very fine Bourbon. Tread in the footsteps of presidents and enjoy luxury as it used to be at The Cavalier.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Cavalier Virginia Beach, Autograph Collection
6. The Founders Inn & Spa Tapestry Collection By Hilton – a unique and charming resort where guests can experience a relaxing stay
Just 16 miles from the beach but a world away from the beach vibe, The Founders Inn & Spa is set in 26 acres of beautifully manicured gardens and offers a very unique take on a Virginia Beach vacation stay.
A trip back in time, the building itself and everything about it takes you back to the 1900s heyday of this incredible location.
With classically designed furniture and modern amenities, rooms at this Virginia Beach boutique hotel provide a clever balance between authenticity and convenience, with the high quality of the furnishings and finish evident everywhere you look, it’s definitely a luxurious experience on offer.
There are two choices for dining in-house, the Swan Terrace Grill with its American cuisine, and the Commonwealth, offering drinks, burgers and flatbreads alongside big TV sports and more.
The Spa offers a pool and a wealth of treatments that will leave you pampered and relaxed. If you want to experience Virginia Beach in a very unique way, this is the place to be.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Founders Inn and Spa Tapestry Collection By Hilton
7. Costa Azul Suites Virginia Beach by Red Collection – a contemporary and hip accommodation perfect for partying Millenials and Gen Zs
Sitting on Atlantic Avenue and right at the heart of Virginia Beach, Costa Azul Suites provides modern, efficient and comfortable surroundings for anyone wanting to stay in Virginia Beach. Rooms are spacious and well appointed, with free wi-fi making sure you stay connected.
Hot breakfasts are included in your stay, while an outdoor pool and fitness facility keep you active. A laundry facility makes longer stays more practical, while a business center provides a great environment if you need to work while away.
A great hotel in a great location, its fuss-free approach may be more to your liking than some, blending the convenience of hotel life with the freedom of your own apartment.
- To book, check prices or availability for Costa Azul Suites Virginia Beach by Red Collection
8. Shaken not Stirred – a stylish and newly renovated vacation home with a private pool and panoramic views of the ocean
A beautiful holiday home located right on the beach, just walk past the outdoor pool at the rear and you are in the sand dunes at the edge of the beach itself.
With wonderful sea views from the living spaces and incredible balcony, this is the ideal place to stay if you want an independent vacation and love the beach life.
There is plenty of parking at the front for all guests, which with 8 bedrooms can be useful. Free wi-fi is supplied, and the property is well appointed, with quality furnishings and everything you need for a wonderful stay.
Close to stores and other amenities, if you are looking for a home from home in Virginia Beach this summer, you won’t find better.
- To book, check prices or availability for Shaken not Stirred
9. Seas the Moment – a beautiful, elegant and lavish accommodation a favourite for catching the sunrise and sunset
Sitting right on the beach and with an incredible deck for outdoor living, Seas the Moment offers a wonderful living space with eclectic décor that brings the ocean and beach vibe right into your accommodation.
Plenty of space for everyone with a large dining and kitchen area, this 4-bedroom home has TV and Cable, free wifi and a lovely outdoor plunge pool on the huge deck.
With all amenities easily accessible, and within easy reach of the center of Virginia Beach and the restaurants and attractions you can find there, it is perfectly located for your stay, whether you want to spend your time on the beach or explore further afield.
- To book, check prices or availability for Seas the Moment
10. Blue Horizon – a chic and upscale vacation rental providing beautiful sea views
The ultimate beach house in Virginia Beach, Blue Horizon is a 10-bedroom property sitting right on the famous beach itself, complete with its own vast deck, outdoor and indoor swimming pools and games room complete with a pool table.
This huge home offers impressive accommodation, including a dining area that seats 18, incredible balcony for soaking up the sun, a fully fitted kitchen and luxurious bedrooms for all.
A gym, table tennis table, and arcade machines will keep everyone entertained. The cinema room is great for relaxing at the end of a busy day.
Close to stores and amenities, this is the ideal accommodation when you want to go your own way, and enjoy the beach lifestyle to its fullest.
- To book, check prices or availability for Blue Horizon
11. Neptune II – a tranquil and spacious beach house rental perfect for a family vacation
Your very own beach house with 9 bedrooms, fully equipped kitchen, wi-fi throughout and a fabulous patio area with its own pool just a few steps from the beach.
Wonderfully appointed with an eclectic eye for detail, the house offers spacious and comfortable accommodation, with living rooms featuring large windows that provide stunning views across the sane and to the ocean beyond.
Enjoy a barbeque on the balcony or eat in the large dining area, the choice is yours. If you want to enjoy everything Virginia Beach has to offer with your friends and family, Neptune II is a superb choice for a home-from-home right on the beach.
- To book, check prices or availability for Neptune II
12. Hemingsway’s Village Luxury Beach Houses – a cute, retro, boutique hotel ideal for a laidback vacation
Just a few minutes walk from the boardwalk and the famous beach itself, this is a fantastic boutique hotel in a sublime location. The property includes free wi-fi throughout and a lovely garden area for relaxing in the evenings, with each room including a patio or balcony and a coffee machine.
Well finished and beautifully presented, each beach house has everything you need, including kitchen areas that give you the freedom to work to your own itinerary during your trip, and free parking.
A home from home during your stay, this is the ideal location if you prefer to do things as you want, when you want, and prefer the less formal approach that you can sometimes experience with hotel stays.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hemingsway’s Village Luxury Beach Houses
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Ocean City
- Cool boutique hotels in Richmond VA
- Cool boutique hotels in Myrtle Beach
- Cool boutique hotels in Rehoboth Beach
- Cool boutique hotels in Atlantic City
- Cool boutique hotels in Washington DC
- Cool boutique hotels in Baltimore
- Cool boutique hotels in Pittsburgh
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Charlotte
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Charleston
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Raleigh
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Fort Lauderdale
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Williamsburg VA
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.