Famed for its long sandy beach, its fresh salty air, its unique blend of old-world charm and modern amenities, the charming shops and restaurants dotted along the harbour, its quaint cobbled streets of the Old Town and its imposing Gothic Abby being the inspiration for Bram Stoker’s Dracula.
I love this gem of a seaside town and visitors (and Dracula fans!) flock here to explore historic castles and cathedrals, hike on nature trails, head out on whale-watching tours or just relax on the beach.
Finding the right hotel in Whitby can be overwhelming, given the town’s endless variety of modern resorts, historical residences and quirky Vampire-inspired boutique hotels. From my many trips here are my personal favourite cool and unusual hotels in Whitby, England (in no particular order)...
1. The Resolution Hotel – a chic, unique and trendy hotel where guests can enjoy stunning views of the notorious Abbey, housed in an Edwardian-style building
The Resolution Hotel stands tall and proud above the vibrant town centre, famous for its panoramic views of the 7th-century Whitby Abbey, Harbor and Pannett Park. Featuring luxurious accommodations, an onsite restaurant and a bar, this boutique hotel is well-appointed for a comfortable stay.
The themed accommodations offer a variety of categories, including Twin, Double, Double with View, King Suite with a whirlpool bath, Admiral Suite and Captain’s Suite.
The interiors have a quirky nautical theme inspired by the world-renowned Resolution ship sailed by the legendary discoverer Captain James Cook.
The onsite restaurant features a Captain’s quarter, an elevated waterfall dining area, and a fish tank with coral.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Resolution Hotel
2. Dracula Rooms – a fun, eclectic and quirky gothic-themed guesthouse near major attractions such as the Whitby Abbey
The Dracula Rooms is a creative project by Bats & Broomsticks, renowned for its inventive décor and themed accommodations. Designed like a goth lover’s heaven, these guest rooms are decorated with dramatic color palettes and decorative elements that complement the macabre theme.
The rooms feature ensuite bathrooms with a claw-footed bath, 4-poster double beds, and flatscreen TVs with several entertainment options, including a library of DVDs.
The accommodation offers a spacious lounge and a breakfast area with a mini-fridge, toaster, and tea and coffee-making equipment.
Guests are provided with a complimentary breakfast basket with supplies to prepare their morning meals.
- To book, check prices or availability for Dracula Rooms
3. La Rosa Hotel – a cool, quirky and funky period boutique townhouse hotel where guests can enjoy a very unique stay
A historic townhouse overlooking the harbour and the ruins of Whitby Abbey, La Rosa invites travellers to indulge in escapism, fantasy and romance.
Once a favourite spot for the world-renowned author Lewis Carroll, La Rosa delights its patrons with tailored services, themed accommodations and decadent homemade cakes.
The guest rooms are inspired by Whitby’s rich culture and history and decorated with handpicked antiques and thrift store finds. The onsite Victorian-style tea room offers a lovely, sun-soaked setting to enjoy homemade desserts and English tea.
Guests are served a continental breakfast hamper in their rooms, featuring a selection of freshly squeezed juices, freshly baked pastries, eggs and fruits.
- To book, check prices or availability for La Rosa Hotel
4. Dillons of Whitby – a chic, elegant and boutique style upscale B&B that features tasteful decor that overlooks the amazing Pannett Park
Dillons of Whitby is set against the beautiful backdrop of Pannett Park, boasting an ideal location near the renowned harbour side and town centre. This lovingly renovated Victorian hotel delivers resort-like amenities with the homely appeal of a country B&B.
The guest house offers 4 creatively decorated bedrooms: Toulouse, Raj, Troon and Zanzibar. I had the pleasure of staying in Toulouse, a luxurious master suite with French-style décor and a decorative balcony with sweeping views.
The onsite breakfast is impressive, and I loved starting my day with traditional Yorkshire specialities at the onsite dining room overlooking Pannett Park. The hotel offers numerous corners to relax and unwind with a cup of English tea.
- To book, check prices or availability for Dillons of Whitby
5. Jet Black Jewel – one-of-a-kind and hip accommodation located on a high street in the town centre
Jet Black Jewel attracts design enthusiasts with its imaginative décor and themed guest rooms, inspired by exotic cultures and traditions from all over the world. This bohemian bed and breakfast offers 9 bespoke rooms, each inspired by a fantasy or an iconic tale.
For instance, St Hilda & the Snakestones Suite is the largest room with a king-size bed and themed décor, while the Maharaja of Mulgrave Room plays up rich Indian fabrics and motifs.
The Rohilla Rescue is a fun-filled room for kids with single bunk beds and ensuite amenities, and the Monkey Puzzle Room plays up muted colours with monochromatic accents.
- To book, check prices or availability for Jet Black Jewel
6. The Shepherd’s Purse – a cosy and charming vintage-chic family-run guesthouse set in heart of the Whitby’s Old Town
Nestled in the heart of the historic quarters, The Shepherd’s Purse is a family-run establishment run by siblings in the loving memory of their parent’s wanderlust and hospitality traditions. This intimate guest house has a soulful appeal, and the dedicated service makes the experience truly exceptional.
Guests can explore a variety of double and balcony rooms, and each room is individually styled with a distinct theme. For instance, Room 3 is a nautical-themed balcony room with a brass captain’s bed, perfect for singles and couples.
Room 5 attracts honeymooners with its four-posted wooden bed with lace drapes, private balcony and Jacuzzi bathtub.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Shepherd’s Purse
7. Ruswarp Hall – Whitby – a refined and chic Jacobean country hall guesthouse that offers adult-only accommodation
Ruswarp Hall invites history enthusiasts to connect with Whitby’s history and stay in one of the oldest buildings in the ancient seaport. Constructed in 1603, this country home is a heritage site with beautifully preserved architectural elements, such as the stoned gateway, high vaulted ceilings, stone mullion windows and oak beams.
This 418-year-old manor house features 9 bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms, period-style furniture and multiple in-room appliances, including air conditioning and flatscreen TVs. The lineup caters to every traveller, ranging from Standard Double Rooms to spacious King Suites.
The Snug Room offers a cosy environment to curl up with a book, while the onsite Honesty Bar and Garden offer lovely countryside views with an assortment of spirits and wines.
- To book, check prices or availability for Ruswarp Hall – Whitby
8. Highgate House – a polished and romantic Georgian townhouse set on the prestigious St Hilda’s Terrace
Highgate House is a grand Georgian townhouse boasting a privileged location on St. Hilda’s Terrace in the heart of the seaside town. Listed as a Grade II heritage site, this townhouse once served as a rectory, later renovated as the residence of a sea captain.
The thoughtfully renovated interiors and guest rooms have retained their vintage charm, combining period-style decoration with innumerable contemporary comforts.
All four rooms are uniquely decorated with bespoke furniture, traditional Georgian colours, luxurious beds and rare antiques.
One couldn’t ask for a more convenient location to revel in the splendours of the North Yorkshire Moors without distancing oneself from the narrow cobbled streets of the historic quarters.
- To book, check prices or availability for Highgate House
9. High Tor Guest House – a historic and stylish Victorian bed & breakfast located in the heart of the ancient North Yorkshire maritime town of Whitby
High Tor Guest House is ideally located on West Cliff, a short stroll from Whitby’s popular attractions, bars, restaurants and retail outlets. This setting is ideal for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts looking to explore hiking trails and spend time on the beach.
The guest house offers a limited selection of 7 rooms, including Deluxe and Double Rooms, to accommodate singles, couples and families. Guests can select rooms on the first or second floor, depending on the amenities and views they wish to enjoy.
All rooms are decorated with exquisite furniture and rare antiques, such as Victorian Chase Long, antique beds, granite fireplaces, peacock chairs, and rich velvet furnishings.
- To book, check prices or availability for High Tor Guest House
10. Sneaton Castle – one of the best and most unique places to stay in Whitby where visitors can feel like royalty
A grand palatial-style hotel established on the expansive grounds near St. Hilda’s Priory, Sneaton Castle ranks among the most iconic buildings in Whitby.
Staying at Sneaton Castle is akin to immersing in the centuries-old culture, heritage and interiors. One can spend an entire day marvelling at the intricate details and craftsmanship of the Norman-style Chapel.
The Castle offers modern guest rooms with precious vintage details and an exclusive lineup of corporate bedrooms designed for business travellers. All 17 rooms are equipped with ensuite bathrooms, flatscreen TVs, and smart appliances.
The onsite Garden Room offers a delightful ambience with an all-day dining menu.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sneaton Castle
11. Sherlocks Lodgings – a cool but homely inn based on one of the oldest streets in Whitby, which is within walking distance from Whitby Beach
Housed on the 2nd floor of Whitby’s famous Sherlock’s Coffee House, this intimate B&B positions sightseers on one of the oldest streets on Flowergate. Travellers can explore two recently refurbished guest rooms with ensuite bathrooms and numerous contemporary comforts.
The rooms are designed to accentuate comfort and convenience with soft bedding, king-size beds, in-room appliances, and a supply of freshly ground coffee and speciality teas. The ensuite bathrooms feature complimentary toiletries, including Sherlocks’ homemade soaps.
Children love Sherlocks Lodgings primarily because of the onsite escape room, the Hand of Glory – an exciting activity laced with mystery and trivia. Guests staying at the lodgings enjoy a 10% discount at the onsite coffee shop.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sherlocks Lodgings
12. LilyRose Hotel – a cool, vibrant and attractive hotel, which is conveniently located in the town centre where guests can explore the gorgeous historic coastal town of Whitby
Vacationers eager to revel in the tranquillity of the Yorkshire countryside will find the elegant LilyRose hotel ideally suited to their desires. This ideally located venue has a calming vibe, and the interiors evoke a sense of relaxation with their eclectic fusion of modern and vintage décor.
LilyRose features 12 guest rooms in three main categories: Cozy Double, Deluxe Double and Luxury Double. All rooms are beautifully decorated with soothing palettes of blue, pink, and white with elaborate floral patterns.
The bedrooms are immensely comfortable, featuring king-size spring mattresses with memory foam toppers to accentuate the luxuriousness. Families and large groups will find the Honeymoon Suite more comfortable and spacious with upgraded amenities.
- To book, check prices or availability for LilyRose Hotel
13. The Florence Guest House – an intimate boutique guesthouse set in a Victorian terraced house, ideal for a romantic stay
An award-winning Victorian Guest House watching over the breathtaking expanse of Pannett Park, Florence Guest House welcomes serenity seekers and sightseers with its convenient location and peaceful setting. Located near major transport links and popular attractions, this guest house is ideal for exploring all nooks and crannies of Whitby.
The selection of accommodations is limited, featuring 3 Economy Double Rooms, 1 Double Room and 1 Superior Double. Guests are greeted with an impressively stocked hospitality tray, and all rooms feature air conditioning, Smart TVs and in-room appliances.
Florence is quite famous for its breakfast spread, and I was delighted by the variety of traditional English and Yorkshire specialities.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Florence Guest House
14. Harry’s lounge – a cool, funky and trendy seafront restaurant that offers picturesque sea-view rooms beautifully decorated
Harry’s Lounge is the ultimate spot for food enthusiasts eager to feast on Whitby’s world-famous fish and chips and freshly caught seafood.
This well-decorated guest house offers cosy accommodations, beautiful views of the harbour, and an endless supply of freshly caught fish served in a variety of local and foreign recipes.
The views are magical and unobstructed, and guests wake up to panoramic views of the historic port, visible from all 4 rooms. The rooms are comfortable and spacious, adorned with fine furniture and in-room appliances.
The onsite restaurant is one of Whitby’s most iconic dining spots, and I strongly recommend their seafood linguine and fish pie.
- To book, check prices or availability for Harry’s lounge
15. Ugthorpe Lodge Hotel – a relaxed quikry chic public house ideal base for fun-loving Millennials and Gen Zs
Owned and operated by dedicated hosts Stephen and Julie, the Ugthorpe Lodge promises highly personalized services and diligent attention to detail. Nestled in the majestic North Yorkshire Moors national park, the landscape attracts nature lovers and weary travellers seeking a peaceful environment.
The Ugthorpe Lodge features 4 recently renovated guest rooms with ensuite bathrooms and high-end amenities.
The rooms are equipped with double or king-size beds, flatscreen TVs, Amazon Alexa, high-speed WiFi, multiple USB charging points and tea and coffee-making equipment.
The onsite bar is the perfect place to relax after a long day of sightseeing, tempting guests with an impressive selection of locally crafted ales, beers, ciders and 15 types of gin.
- To book, check prices or availability for Ugthorpe Lodge Hotel
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in York
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Harrogate
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Blackpool
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Newcastle
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Leeds
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Manchester
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Liverpool
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Sheffield
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.