Glittering lakes, jagged mountain peaks, glacier-carved valleys, and an eclectic downtown district make Whitefish one of the coolest getaways in Montana. The popular resort town in the Rocky Mountains of northwest Montana is a year-round destination filled with scenic attractions like Glacier National Park, Flathead Lake, and Whitefish Mountain Resort.
Immerse yourself in the natural grandeur of Glacier National Park which features snow-stricken mountains, luxuriant alpine meadows, and the iconic Lake Macdonald.
Explore gorgeous art displays, handicrafts, and bookstores in the highly trafficked downtown district. Spend an entire afternoon soaking sun on the sprawling shores of Whitefish Lake. Luckily, the city is also home to fantastic boutique hotels, B&Bs, and vacation rentals. Here are the top cool and unusual hotels in Whitefish, Montana (in no particular order)…
1. Lodge at Whitefish Lake – funky lodge resort right on the water that boasts an elegant, understated yet infinitely Instagrammable interior
This deluxe, lodge-style resort on the shores of Whitefish Lake stands proud as one of the most luxurious hotels in Whitefish. It is located less than two miles from the buzzing downtown district with Whitefish Lake State Park accessible within a 6-minute drive.
You’ll stay in luxuriously appointed rooms with chic decor and high-end amenities, including coffee makers, flat-screens, and gas fireplaces. If you want a private living room or a full kitchen, book a loft suite with impressive lake views.
A ritzy onsite restaurant with live music, a spa with massage services, a fitness center, an indoor pool, a business center, and a tiki bar are some of the amenities that make Lodge at Whitefish Lake stand out from the crowd.
Address: 1380 Wisconsin Ave, Whitefish, MT 59937, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Lodge at Whitefish Lake
2. Firebrand Hotel – a hip and trendy modern hotel with a sleek, modern vibe and a lively bar area
The ultimate spot for hipsters, Firebrand Hotel is one of the trendiest hotels in Whitefish with easy access to downtown restaurants and shopping. Located about two miles from Whitefish Lake State Park, this lodge-style hotel offers accommodation in refined rooms with chic decor and modern furnishings
You’ll enjoy some of the most high-end amenities here, from 50-inch flat-screen TVs to bar areas to fireplaces. Some suites have living areas with rustic-wood accent walls and balconies with gorgeous mountain views.
The hotel also boasts a rooftop patio with a hot tub, an après-ski style lounge dishing out light bites, a 24-hour fitness center, and a spa.
Address: 650 E 3rd St, Whitefish, MT 59937, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Firebrand Hotel
3. Apres Whitefish – a hip, contemporary hotel with loads of rustic touches that ooze authentic charm
Apres Whitefish seamlessly combines rustic charm with urban comfort. This idyllic retreat minutes away from Whitefish Mountain Resort presents a unique side to Montana hospitality. Accommodation options range from Queen Rooms with double beds to King Rooms with extra-large double beds.
While living at Apres Whitefish, you’ll be steps from the Whitefish River. You’ll also be within walking distance of some amazing restaurants and cafes.
Address: 800 Spokane Ave, Whitefish, MT 59937, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Apres Whitefish
4. Grouse Mountain Lodge – a cozy traditional-style alpine lodge with a roaring fireplace and a casual atmosphere
A sophisticated alpine lodge perched opposite Whitefish Lake Golf Club, a mile from Stumptown Historical Museum. Rooms at Grouse Mountain Lodge are brightly decorated and feature traditional furnishings.
Each room has a flat-screen TV with premium cable channels, a coffee maker, a mini-fridge, and complimentary Wi-Fi. The mountain lodge also offers a range of onsite amenities, including a fitness center, two hot tubs, a spa, an indoor pool, and tennis courts.
There’s also a snug restaurant with a stone fireplace, a cocktail lounge, and a classy bar. Freebies include parking and an area shuttle.
Address: 2 Fairway Dr, Whitefish, MT 59937, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Grouse Mountain Lodge
5. The Pine Lodge on Whitefish River, Ascend Hotel Collection – a cosy, modern and welcoming retreat right on the banks of the river, offering guests a great pool and laid-back vibes
Beautifully perched on Whitefish River, this downhome hotel offers accommodation in stylishly appointed rooms with cable TVs, microwaves, wet bars, pull-out sofas, whirlpool tubs, and fireplaces.
The luxurious amenities at The Pine Lodge on Whitefish River will instantly make you fall in love with this place. There’s a hot tub, connected indoor and outdoor pools, and an exercise room.
The 2-star hotel is within a 15-minute drive from Glacier Park International Airport.
Address: 920 Spokane Ave, Whitefish, MT 59937, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for The Pine Lodge on Whitefish River
6. Chalet Hotel Whitefish – a fun, quirky chalet lodge that’s great for Millennials and Gen-Zs
With a ski lodge vibe and cozy rooms, Chalet Hotel Whitefish is a fantastic pick for those who want a laid-back vacation. The relaxed motel is two miles from the Stumptown Historical Museum with Whitefish Mountain Resort accessible within a 10-minute drive.
Guests lodge in warmly decorated rooms with complimentary Wi-Fi, mini-fridges, coffee makers, and cable TVs. To enjoy scenic views and have separate sitting areas, you’ll have to upgrade. There’s also a hot tub and a heated outdoor pool.
Address: 6430 Hwy 93 S, Whitefish, MT 59937, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Chalet Hotel Whitefish
7. Kandahar Lodge at Whitefish Mountain Resort – lovely lodge with great on-site restaurant
If you want to experience the alpine splendor of Whitefish, Kandahar Lodge is an excellent place to stay. This elegant lodge offers a romantic retreat in a gorgeous alpine setting about seven miles from Whitefish.
There are six different accommodation options at Kandahar Lodge, ranging from queen rooms with two double beds to deluxe family rooms sleeping up to six guests. If you are feeling peckish, head over to Cafe Kandahar for a lavish dining experience.
Address: 3824 Big Mountain Rd, Whitefish, MT 59937, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Kandahar Lodge at Whitefish Mountain Resort
8. The Farmhouse Inn & Kitchen, 2 blocks from Downtown Whitefish, Montana – a gorgeous cosy inn with a restaurant that’s popular with guests and locals alike
A charming B&B set in a leafy residential area off Route 93, about a mile from City Beach. Country-style rooms at The Farmhouse Inn & Kitchen feature all the amenities that you’d expect in a decent boutique hotel.
All rooms have flat-screens and private bathrooms, while some also feature soaking tubs. There’s an onsite cafe dishing up made-to-order breakfast in a terrace setting.
Address: 28 Lupfer Ave, Whitefish, MT 59937, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for The Farmhouse Inn & Kitchen
9. Wood’s Lodge – a quirky, rustic inn with cosy rooms, bar, and dining options
If you are looking for a high-end lodging experience steps from Whitefish Lake, Wood’s Lodge may be an ideal place to stay. The chic lodge has five gorgeously appointed suites with separate entrances, patios, gas fireplaces, flat-screen TVs, and plush bedding.
All guests enjoy the common-area facilities including a Tesla charging station, a full-size kitchen, a spacious great room with a wine and coffee bar, a large dining area, and a fenced pet area. There’s also a sun terrace from where you can enjoy stunning mountain views. This polished lodge is less than a mile from Smith Fields Sports Complex.
Address: 5725 U.S. 93 South, Whitefish, MT 59937, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Wood’s Lodge
10. Good Medicine Lodge – rustic lodge with a laid-back atmosphere that perfect for a cool and unusual friends’ holiday
This tasteful B&B in a sprawling log home has everything you need for a comfortable stay in Whitefish. Woodsy-chic rooms at Good Medicine Lodge are equipped with en suite bathrooms, fireplaces, and complimentary Wi-Fi.
Guests can also choose to stay in airy suites that come with whirlpool tubs, private sitting areas, and balconies. Free perks include ski storage and evening snacks.
While staying here as a guest, you’ll also have access to a garden with a fire pit, a terrace with a hot tub, a communal kitchenette, and a library. You’ll be served a gourmet breakfast in an artistic dining room every morning.
Address: 537 Wisconsin Ave, Whitefish, MT 59937, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Good Medicine Lodge
11. The Stalls at Whitefish – a cute and quirky mountain lodge with loads of character and a great location
Discover the wilderness of Whitefish at this quaint home about four miles from City Beach. Sleeping up to five people, The Stalls at Whitefish is an ideal destination for a weekend getaway with friends.
From its wooden interior to its homey ambiance, everything about this snug home will amaze you. The living room features a wood fireplace, a flat-screen TV, and a sofa bed. There’s an extra-large double bed in the bedroom and three single beds in the living room.
Address: 214 Rusty Spur Trail, Whitefish, MT 59937, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for The Stalls at Whitefish
12. My Son’s Canvas – a charming, homely inn that offers guests a comfortable home away from home
If you are looking for homey places to stay in Whitefish, My Son’s Canvas might just be the perfect pick.
This two-bedroom holiday home has a spacious living room with a gas fireplace and ample seating, two bathrooms, a well-equipped kitchen, furnished balconies, an outdoor swimming pool, and a children’s playground.
With large double beds in both rooms and a sofa bed in the living room, the property can comfortably sleep up to six people.
Located about a mile from Les Mason State Park, the vacation rental is a short drive from City Beach.
Address: Whitefish, 59937, United State
- To book, check prices or availability for My Son’s Canvas
We also have posts on…
- Cool and trendy hotels in Spokane
- Cool and trendy hotels in Bozeman
- Cool and trendy hotels in Boise
- Cool and trendy hotels in Big Sky
- Cool and trendy hotels in Bend
- Cool and trendy hotels in Banff
- Cool and trendy hotels in Calgary
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Rapid City
Gary is an award winning full time professional photographer and videographer with too much wanderlust for his own good. Fuelled by strong coffee, you’ll often find him wandering well off hiking trails in search of interesting photographic subjects or scenery to video. Self taught and with the use of pioneering digital techniques, he quickly built up a strong client base and has worked with many prestigious organisations, including GQ, BBC, London Fashion Week, Grazia, Sky, Metro, Vogue Italia. He specialising in evocative images of people, places and cinematic videography and his goal is to make the viewer look twice and engage. As well as a penchant for good design, the ketogenic diet and Hungarian Vizslas, he also has a huge affection for Chicago, Bucharest, Scandinavia, Croatia and absolutely everywhere in Italy. Find him on Instagram @garynansome, Twitter @garynansome and his website https://garynunn.co.uk/