One of the best cities to unravel the mysteries of America’s colonial history, Williamsburg is a dedicatedly preserved treasure trove of 18th-Century heritage and memorabilia. Walking the streets of this vibrant city is a visual feast of art, architecture and history.
History buffs have much to rejoice about, and families with children will find Williamsburg an excellent destination to enrich their vacations with abundant learning. The history tours are incredible, and travelers must attend the highly realistic re-enactments of major historical events.
There’s much to explore and learn in Williamsburg, and one must find the right hotel to enjoy the city from a central location and comfortable ambience. From boutique hotels and luxury chains to historic B&Bs and charming inns, you are bound to find the perfect pick from our roundup of the top 10 cool and unusual hotels of Williamsburg, Virginia (in no particular order)...
1. The Griffin Hotel – A Colonial Williamsburg Hotel – one of the best boutique hotels in Williamsburg providing guests with a pet-friendly, tranquil and relaxing stay
Surrounded by the verdant beauty of Mother Nature, The Griffin Hotel is one of the best boutique hotels to bask in the colonial and natural splendors of Williamsburg. This charming hotel invites travelers with its sprawling guest rooms and sun-soaked balconies offering magnificent views of the cityscape and colonial heritage.
Guests enjoy incredible views from their private terraces, nature walks in the lush wooded area, and resting by the peaceful setting of the fountain ponds. T
his centrally located hotel positions travelers in the heart of the historic district, surrounded by world-class fine dining establishments, art galleries, spas and recreational spots.
Dog parents can explore select rooms to enjoy vacationing with their furry friends.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Griffin Hotel – A Colonial Williamsburg Hotel
2. Wemore Placed – a European-style, unique, elegant and romantic boutique hotel where guests can enjoy an unforgettable experience at the Williamsburg winery
The Wedmore Place serves a distinct taste of European-style charm and countryside splendors, home to the celebrated Williamsburg Winery and 28 elegantly designed guest rooms and suites. Staying at the Wedmore is an experience laced with cultural and historical discoveries, for the interiors pay homage to Europe with a unique flair.
The rooms are named and designed after various European destinations, including Bohemian, Corinthian, Westphalia, Lombardi, Champagne, Andalucia, and Provence. The décor, rare antiques and furnishings symbolize the cultural traditions, native art forms and ambience of these regions with sheer magnificence.
Guests can choose between Tradition Rooms, Classic Rooms, Corner Rooms and three luxury suites. The Venetian Suite, sprawling over 1,100 square feet of grandeur, is indeed the finest accommodation to enjoy the opulence of Wedmore Place.
- To book, check prices or availability for Wedmore Place
3. Bluegreen Parkside Williamsburg, Ascend Resort Collection – a family-friendly classic and unique accommodation located opposite Busch Gardens
The Bluegreen Parkside Resort is one of Williamsburg’s finest family-friendly establishments to enjoy the coastal beauty and colonial heritage. Famous for its colonial-themed luxury villas and resort-style luxuries, the Bluegreen is home to abundant splendors. For instance, guests can enjoy golfing at the historic Golden Horseshoe Golf Club or splash around in the outdoor pool.
Families and large groups can explore 1 and 2-bedroom premium suites, equipped with furniture and amenities to comfortably accommodate 4-6 guests. Groups of 10 or more travelers can explore the luxurious 3-4 bedroom villa, inspired by Williamsburg’s colonial charm.
The tastefully appointed guest rooms and suites feature an array of modern amenities, including flat-screen TVs, in-room refrigerators, washers, ice makers, etc.
- To book, check prices or availability for Bluegreen Parkside Williamsburg, Ascend Resort Collection
4. Colonial Houses – A Colonial Williamsburg Hotel – unique, quaint and themed lodging within walking distance of local attractions
History buffs are bound to fall in love with the old-world charm and powerful story of this 200-year-old establishment. One of Williamsburg’s most iconic historic hotels, the Colonial Houses are proud witnesses to profoundly monumental events in Virginia’s history. All the houses are situated in different streets of the city’s historic district.
This magnificent specimen is one of the best-preserved remnants of the city’s 18th-Century heritage, and the interiors are brimming with artifacts and memorabilia. Guests can explore themed suites designed with a distinct vintage flair.
Solo travelers will appreciate the intimate and charming setting of the Chiswell Bucktrout Kitchen, while the sprawling Ewing Storehouse is more suited to couples.
- To book, check prices or availability for Colonial Houses – A Colonial Williamsburg Hotel
5. Williamsburg Lodge, Autograph Collection – a modern, upscale and charming hotel featuring a spa with an indoor pool
The Autograph Collection is a world-renowned symbol of upscale luxury and matchless quality, and the Williamsburg Lodge represents the brand with masterful aplomb. Nestled in the heart of Williamsburg’s vibrant historic quarter, this luxurious lodge beckons travelers with its artistic interiors and central location.
The interiors are a feast of rich colors and bold textures, with expansive hallways featuring antiquated lanterns, beautifully crafted leather furniture and exotic folk art fittings. Guests can explore a wide range of family-friend suites, standard rooms and dog-friendly accommodations.
The Williamsburg Lodge offers a taste of traditional Southern hospitality with a contemporary twist to satisfy modern travelers.
- To book, check prices or availability for Williamsburg Lodge, Autograph Collection
6. A Williamsburg White House Inn – a beautiful, elegant and romantic B&B housed in a historic mansion offering guests a complimentary full breakfast every morning
An award-winning B&B nestled four blocks away from the colonial district, the Williamsburg White House Inn is erected in one of Williamsburg’s most prestigious and oldest estates. The setting and surrounding landscape are utterly magical, and travelers adore the beautifully manicured gardens and lavishly appointed suites.
The White House Inn offers 9 tastefully designed suites, featuring private baths, modern appliances and fine amenities. The in-house Reagan Dining Room is a lavish fine dining establishment, and guests cannot stop raving about the antiquated ambience and unique presentation of traditional Southern cuisine.
Staying at this charming inn allows easy access to the best of Williamsburg city, including the Merchant Square, art galleries and retail outlets.
- To book, check prices or availability for A Williamsburg White House Inn
7. Marriott’s Manor Club at Ford’s Colony – an award-winning, stylish and chic resort perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs to have a fun-filled trip
Marriott’s Manor Club is the ultimate destination for travelers eager to spoil themselves with finesse and opulence. This premium resort promises a rejuvenating vacation with its resort-like ambience and sprawling villas.
Nestled inside the award-winning gated community of Ford’s Colony, the Manor Club features multiple pools, three championship golf courses, a state-of-the-art fitness center, and numerous sports facilities.
Guests can explore luxurious one and two-bedroom villas featuring fully-equipped kitchens, living rooms, dining spaces and modern appliances. The Club also offers premium guest rooms with private kitchenettes and elegant furniture.
The Manor Club offers several onsite dining options, including the All-American Bistro 1699 and The Marketplace Express.
- To book, check prices or availability for Marriott’s Manor Club at Ford’s Colony
8. Cedars of Williamsburg Bed & Breakfast – a stylish, petite and tasteful accommodation perfect for a couple’s romantic getaway
Cedars Bed & Breakfast is an award-winning accommodation with a rich history of serving Williamsburg’s travel community since 1935. This romantic lodging offers a dreamy setting for honeymoons and getaways, with elegant guest rooms featuring exquisitely crafted fireplaces and fine furnishings.
This breathtaking Georgian-style property has 11 beautifully appointed guest rooms, of which 8 suites are situated in the Main House, while two guest rooms are located in the Cedars Cottage.
Couples seeking privacy with an idyllic ambience will find the Cedars Cottage utterly divine with its tasteful interiors.
The Cedars B&B offers easy access to popular attractions, including the College of William and Mary and the Merchant’s Square.
- To book, check prices or availability for Cedars of Williamsburg Bed & Breakfast
9. Williamsburg Woodlands Hotel – A Colonial Williamsburg Hotel – a fun, rustic and spacious accommodation ideal for a memorable family vacation
Travelers seeking a tranquil location to drown out the city noise will find the Williamsburg Woodlands Hotel a splendid getaway with an isolated setting. Surrounded by a dense pine grove, this upscale boutique hotel combines comfort and convenience with keen attention to detail and thoughtful amenities.
Situated in the Colonial Williamsburg Regional Visitor Center, this family-friendly establishment attracts vacationers with its affordable rates, luxurious facilities and abundant recreations.
The Woodlands has an extensive range of options for solo travelers, honeymooners, families and large groups.
The hotel offers amazing packages to explore Williamsburg, and guests can customize their experiences according to their preferences and interests.
- To book, check prices or availability for Williamsburg Woodlands Hotel – A Colonial Williamsburg Hotel
10. Newport House – one of the most historic B&Bs in Williamsburg where guests can experience an authentic, classic and traditional stay
The Newport House Bed & Breakfast was designed in 1756 and is the only B&B in Williamsburg to have kept its authentic 18th-century interior theme.
Located just 5-minutes from Williamsburg Historic District, the accommodation puts you in walking distance of beautiful gardens, interesting museums, and several shopping options.
The breakfast served every morning is freshly made from colonial recipes and is accompanied by a chat with the host who is a former museum director and historical author.
During the week you have the option to join in with English and Scottish country dancing located in the ballroom. For an even more unique experience, you can hire period clothing to try on.
- To book, check prices or availability for Newport House
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Richmond
- Cool boutique hotels in Virginia Beach
- Cool boutique hotels in Nags Head
- Cool boutique hotels in Greenville
- Cool boutique hotels in Raleigh
- Cool boutique hotels in New Bern
- Cool boutique hotels in Ocean City
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Charlottesville
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Ithaca
Born and raised in Brazil, Gaby has always had a taste for the intriguing, the off-beat and the far flung. After travelling around most of South America, living in Spain and Italy and then moving to England, her feet have stayed continually twitchy. Studying for a degree in Spanish translation and then learning five more languages only poured more fuel onto her travelling ardor.
Gaby likes nothing better than discovering new destinations and meeting the locals, tasting the cuisine and hearing about the local stories. Her other indulgences include French cinema, boxing, photography, colourful manicures and soaking up the rays on a sun-infused beach. She counts Rio de Janeiro, Rome, Barcelona, Lisbon and Cornwall as her most favourite places in the world.