The safe, vibrant and easy-on-the-eye city in North Carolina has plenty to offer visitors including historic buildings, heirloom gardens and outdoor attractions. It also has an arty and youthful vibe with a bustling downtown area, cool street art, a fondness for live theater, pottery and excellent art galleries.
This creativity is also found in its fine collections of places to stay, from gorgeous intimate boutiques to modern and trendy accommodation, here are the best cool and unusual hotels to stay in Winston–Salem, North Carolina (in no particular order)…
1. Kimpton Cardinal Hotel, an IHG Hotel – a trendy travel sustainable hotel that offers a full-service French-inspired restaurant
Set in a historic 1920s skyscraper, Kimpton Cardinal Hotel features refined rooms with upscale amenities including minibars, Italian linens, and yoga mats. Suites and upgraded rooms come with free-standing tubs and living rooms.
Kimpton Cardinal Hotel perfectly showcases original French art deco with its quaint architecture. There’s an on-site French restaurant, a ritzy lounge, and a terrace. Some of the most unique amenities available at Kimpton include a hip recreation center with a bowling alley and two ballrooms.
Address: 51 4th St E, Winston-Salem, NC 27101, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Kimpton Cardinal Hotel, an IHG Hotel
2. Hotel Indigo – Winston-Salem Downtown, an IHG Hotel – a hip and Downtown boutique hotel perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
A stylish boutique hotel located a mile from the Old Salem Museums & Gardens on 4th Street. The IHG hotel offers upscale accommodation with a wide range of amenities including plush bedding, free WiFi, flat-screen TVs, Keurig coffee makers, spa-inspired showers, and designer toiletries.
Hotel Indigo features one of the most artful interiors in all of Winston-Salem. The hotel’s walls are lined with local art that’s reminiscent of Winston-Salem’s Moravian heritage and growing tech industry.
Address: 104 W 4th St, Winston-Salem, NC 27101, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Indigo – Winston-Salem Downtown, an IHG Hotel
3. The Shaffner Inn – a unique cozy B&B where guests can make the most of the amazing amenities
Based inside a timbered house built in the early 1900s, The Shaffner Inn is a bed and breakfast on Marshall Street in southwest Winston-Salem. The 3-star hotel features nine thoughtfully appointed rooms with a true Victorian-style interior.
In-room amenities at The Shaffner Inn include en suite bathrooms, TVs with cable channels, and free WiFi. Some rooms also have minifridges and/or Jacuzzis, and antique fireplaces.
A Tiger oak hand-carved paneling, a grand stairwell, precious antiques, vintage furnishings, and original coal-burning fireplaces are what make the mansion even more extravagant. The coolest thing about this hotel is that it was once the private residence of Henry Fries Shaffner, the co-founder of Wachovia Loan and Trust.
Address: 150 Marshall St SW, Winston-Salem, NC 27101, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for The Shaffner Inn
4. Kasa Winston-Salem Arts District – a modern and cool aparthotel that welcomes pets
An unassuming hotel located conveniently in the heart of Winston-Salem’s Art District with easy access to all downtown attractions including restaurants, shops, cafes, and breweries. What’s truly remarkable about this place is the combination of minimalism and style featured in every room.
Kasa provides three types of accommodation: studio rooms, one-bedroom apartments, and two-bedroom apartments. Studio rooms have all basic amenities including a flat-screen TV, coffee maker, and free Wi-Fi among others. One- and two-bedroom apartments add private kitchenettes and separate living areas with sofa beds.
Address: 511 N Cherry St, Winston-Salem, NC 27101, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Kasa Winston-Salem Arts District
5. The Historic Brookstown Inn, Trademark Collection by Wyndham – one of the best historic hotels in Winston-Salem
The Historic Brookstown Inn is based in a former cotton mill and that’s exactly what makes it a really cool place to stay. The redbrick hotel beautifully combines historic charm with modern conveniences like free Wi-Fi, minifridges, coffee makers, and flat-screen TVs.
Each room is individually decorated and furnished with period pieces. The most exciting part is that all guests get tons of freebies including evening wine and cheese, continental breakfast, nightly milk and cookies, newspaper, and parking.
Address: 200 Brookstown Ave, Winston-Salem, NC 27101, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for The Historic Brookstown Inn, Trademark Collection by Wyndham
6. Winston-Salem Marriott – a unique hotel where guests can appreciate beautiful city views
A deluxe downtown hotel affording the most amazing view of the city. No other hotel in Winston-Salem provides a better view of the cityscape.
The hotel’s proximity to the area’s top companies and recreational spots is what makes it attractive to travelers of all stripes. From sleek decor to in-room dining to grab-and-go breakfast options, you’ll fall in love with everything at Winston-Salem Marriott.
All guest rooms have free WiFi, flatscreen TVs, coffee makers, minifridges, and desks with ergonomic chairs. Separate living and dining areas are available in suites. Other amenities include a stylish restaurant with a full bar, a lounge, a 24/7 fitness center, and an event or meeting space that accommodates up to 2,700 people.
Address: 425 N Cherry St, Winston-Salem, NC 27101, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Winston-Salem Marriott
7. The Zevely Inn – an exquisite 19th-century B&B that is listed on the National Historic Register
A cozy B&B based in a redbrick home dating back to the early 1800s. The Zevely Inn shows what life looked like in a Moravian town in the 18th century.
Antique furnishings, woven carpets, boxed windows, vintage candle holders, cotton-chintz curtains, and craftsman lamps come together to celebrate the Moravian heritage of the hotel’s founders.
Rooms at The Zevely Inn feature sitting areas, fireplaces, minifridges, and microwaves. Breakfast is served in an informal dining room on the ground floor.
Address: 803 S Main St, Winston-Salem, NC 27101, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for The Zevely Inn
8. Historic Winston-Salem Guest Barn on Farm! – easily one of the coolest holiday homes to stay in Winston-Salem perfect for a romantic stay
A funky holiday with an open interior dotted with antique accents and vintage treasures.
This historic home features a conglomerate of interior-design styles including Victorian, Gregorian, Modern, and Edwardian among others.
The guest barn features three bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms, a lofted lounge, piano, dining areas, ping pong table, and four flat-screen TVs. Guests can see the farm animals roam from the private balcony or patio.
Address: Winston-Salem, 27107, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Historic Winston-Salem Guest Barn on Farm!
9. Corporate B&B DTN Mall Hospitals-Kitchen-Pets OK – a comfy homestay that is perfect for a cool and relaxing vacation
A bed and breakfast located a few miles from Hanes Mall. It’s a kid-friendly, pet-friendly guest house featuring two bedrooms with a shared bathroom, a kitchen, a dining area, and a patio with outdoor furniture.
The B&B has an unusual homey ambiance that keeps you from being homesick regardless of how long you have been away from your home. From linens to curtains to patio chairs, everything will remind you of home.
Address: 199 Tipperary Lane Northwest, Winston-Salem, NC 27104, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Corporate B&B DTN Mall Hospitals-Kitchen-Pets OK
10. Renowned historic home downtown across from park – a stylish vacation home that is within walking distance to many fun attractions
A laid-back holiday home with minimalist decor and homey ambiance. You’ll see many different styles of furniture here including wooden beds, metal beds, floral sofas, woven rugs, and leather sofas among others. Though the place has no particular theme, it looks beautiful in its own way.
There are five separate bedrooms, three bathrooms, a living room, and a fully equipped kitchen. Amenities available here include kitchen supplies, air-conditioning, flatscreen TVs, and a washing machine. There is no internet access available. Guests have easy access to Hanes Mall, M C Benton Jr Convention Center, and LJVM Coliseum.
Address: 1014 West 5th Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27101, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Renowned historic home downtown across from park
We also have posts on…
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Myrtle Beach
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Richmond
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Asheville
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Atlanta
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Nashville
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Raleigh
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Greenville
- Cool and unique hotels in Chapel Hill
Gary is an award winning full time professional photographer and videographer with too much wanderlust for his own good. Fuelled by strong coffee, you’ll often find him wandering well off hiking trails in search of interesting photographic subjects or scenery to video. Self taught and with the use of pioneering digital techniques, he quickly built up a strong client base and has worked with many prestigious organisations, including GQ, BBC, London Fashion Week, Grazia, Sky, Metro, Vogue Italia. He specialising in evocative images of people, places and cinematic videography and his goal is to make the viewer look twice and engage. As well as a penchant for good design, the ketogenic diet and Hungarian Vizslas, he also has a huge affection for Chicago, Bucharest, Scandinavia, Croatia and absolutely everywhere in Italy. Find him on Instagram @garynansome, Twitter @garynansome and his website https://garynunn.co.uk/