With its dazzling backdrop dominated by the mighty Matterhorn, Zermatt is one of the most unique alpine landscapes in Europe, and is famed for its picture-perfect hiking trails, scenic streets, and world-class skiing opportunities.
The town is a car-free zone, echoing its commitment to sustainable energy measures, and can be enjoyed during both the deep depths of winter and the height of summer, due to its ever-changing beauty.
Lying at an altitude of 1600 metres, Zermatt attracts enthusiastic mountaineers, skiers, and hikers year after year, who are treated to a plethora of astonishing accommodation experiences. From cosy, alpine boutiques to exquisite spa resorts, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Zermatt, Switzerland (in no particular order)…
1. Backstage Boutique SPA Hotel – a chic, hip and very Instagrammable upscale spa hotel perfect for partying Millenials and Gen Zs
Towering over Zermatt, this Heinz Julen masterpiece has a captivating, Instagrammable façade, and its theatrical rooms are brimming with eccentric creativity.
Backstage is a mirrored pine structure situated off the bustling main street ‘Bahnhofstrasse’, and boasts everything you could ever dream of in a resort, from a cinema to ski rental, to a vivacious club, and a wellness centre inspired by the story of creation.
Gold velvet-upholstered chairs, tumbling chandeliers of violins, and a cacophony of stucco work bisected by white-painted steel beams give this boutique hotel a stately home-meets-urban chic vibe.
The 19 guestrooms feature huge framed monochrome photos and high ceilings upholding hanging feather-trimmed chandeliers, evoking an air of luxury.
- To book, check prices or availability for Backstage Boutique SPA Hotel
2. CERVO Mountain Resort – a unique and gorgeous upscale resort that provides great amenities and striking decor
Boasting 7 lodges and 54 guestrooms all in a world of their own, Cervo Mountain Resort is an idyllic base station for expeditions into the mountains of Zermatt.
Nomad, Alpinist, and Huntsman form the lodge categories at this stunning resort, each featuring a timelessly modern design and resonating mountain elements in a warm, naturally enthused atmosphere.
Inspired by the lively markets of the East, the on-site ‘Bazaar’ is a special place where nomads, explorers, and locals get together in a relaxed atmosphere.
A direct ski-in area at the resort is designed to end your day on the slopes in style, where a curated programme promises special evenings and delicious drinks.
- To book, check prices or availability for CERVO Mountain Resort
3. The Omnia – easily one of the coolest hotels to stay in Zermatt perfect for design-loving Millennials and Gen Zs
This serene mountain hideaway is perched on a wooded ledge, hewn into a conifer-studded crag, towering over Zermatt. Blending American modernism with a sense of alpine chalet, every detail at the Omnia has been designed by New York architect Ali Tayar.
The clean-cut larch-and-glass façade invites guests to an enhanced hospitality experience which exudes luxury in the form of a Michelin-starred restaurant, a hot whirlpool with Matterhorn views, and curated-to-perfection guestrooms.
Offset by a premium photography collection featuring nature-inspired images, the soft lighting and shelves heaving with arty hardbacks provide an exuberant, chic welcome in the communal areas.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Omnia Zermatt
4. the rex – a fun, funky and unique boutique hotel perfect for a relaxing stay
Inviting guests to slow down and counterbalance their everyday stresses, The Rex brings you closer to nature through an immersive hospitality experience.
Designed to enhance all the senses through delicious flavours, scintillating views, charming scents, and a cacophony of natural sounds, your attention will be totally shifted onto the pristine surroundings.
Rejuvenate mind, body, and soul at the nature spa, before stepping out onto the lush garden grounds to soak up the glorious sun rays amid the mountain air. End your day in the beautiful on-site restaurant, where primarily organic products sourced through close relationships with local farmers will treat you to a replenishing dining experience.
Bedrooms are re-imagined with wood floors and natural materials, connecting you to the serenity of the present moment.
- To book, check prices or availability for the rex Zermatt
5. Matterhorn FOCUS Design Hotel – a stylish and exceptional design hotel to stay in Zermatt
Slick interiors coalesce with a fabulous mountain-facing spa and optimum slope access at Matterhorn Focus, a cool design hotel which greets guests with the warmest of Valais welcomes.
An idiosyncratic design evokes a rustic chic vibe, topped with floor-to-ceiling glass views of the stunning ‘Toblerone Mountain’. Industrial elements, muted colours, and flamboyant touches embellish the interiors, from backlit, patterned bedsteads to chandeliers made from Sunday glasses resulting in a decadent aesthetic.
The 30 rooms are individually appointed, yet all boast beautiful oak floors which complement the soft colour tones.
The spa is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, featuring a herb-scented caldarium alongside many heated loungers and a saltwater tub, peering out over the mountain tops.
- To book, check prices or availability for Matterhorn FOCUS Design Hotel
6. Wellness Hotel Alpenhof – a charming family-run hotel with quirky-chic details close to local attractions
Renovated with a brand-new ski room and lift, presenting opportunities for you to enjoy the slopes immediately on arrival, The Alpenhof is the perfect option for adventure seekers.
A completely redesigned ground floor with bar area, lobby, reception, and dining room will greet you to a chic Zermatt welcome, and a new pellet heating system echoes the hotel’s proud sustainability measures.
An outdoor adults-only spa area boasts a Finnish sauna and a steam bath in the log cabin, while the indoor wellness area which features a stunning fireplace is the ultimate spot of bliss.
The cosy alpine ambiance radiates into all of the designer rooms and suites, which are backdropped by the stunning Valais mountains.
- To book, check prices or availability for Wellness Hotel Alpenhof
7. 22 Summits Boutique Hotel – a chic boutique hotel that offers stunning mountain views
Nestled between the enthroned peaks of Valais is this graceful boutique hotel, a unique hospitality experience which will enchant you with a trendy alpine design, blissful comfort, and awe-inspiring views of the Matterhorn.
The lavish rooms and suites are laden with natural materials and modern earth tones, inviting you to relax in the backdrop of snow-capped peaks and unruffled natural surroundings.
The two-storey wellness area, Finnish sauna, and the alpine hay bath are the perfect spots to allow your body and mind a well-deserved rest.
Fresh regional ingredients fuel the hand-crafted preparations at the bar area, where you can relax and linger alongside other adventure enthusiasts.
- To book, check prices or availability for 22 Summits Boutique Hotel
8. Suitenhotel Zurbriggen – one of the most romantic hotels to stay in Zermatt surrounded by nature
A quiet, intimate atmosphere radiates through the luxury apartments on offer at Suitenhotel Zurbriggen, where a charming décor brimming with glasswork and local larch wood is complemented by the comfort of a lavish well-being service.
The spacious accommodations are stylishly furnished with a large living area, fully equipped kitchen, dining area, and tech-forward amenities.
The sense of hearty hospitality invites you to feel at home as you breathe in the fresh mountain air and escape from the hectic pace of the city.
The spa experience offers pure refinement and boasts trendsetting wellness initiatives including counter-current massage jets, a heated brine pool, an ice grotto, and many more.
- To book, check prices or availability for Suitenhotel Zurbriggen
9. Firefly Luxury Suites – a hip and trendy boutique hotel where pets are also welcome
This family-owned boutique is grounded in the mission to guide its guests to feel as independent and free as they do at home. Full of charisma and eccentricity, the four-star ‘Firefly’ evokes the principles of the four elements, fire, water, earth, and air.
The 16 suites are individually assigned to an element, and each offer a unique character. All, however, boast granite countertops, designer ceramics, and are suffused with pampering fragrances.
A delicious meal using locally sourced produce can be delivered to your room, so you can begin your day in your complimentary bathrobe as you tuck into an exquisite breakfast.
- To book, check prices or availability for Firefly Luxury Suites
10. Hotel Eden Wellness – a colourful, kitsch, and fun party hotel to stay in Zermatt
Suffused with an ever-so-radiant glow of nature, the glamorous Hotel Eden Wellness invites you to enjoy wonderful days of requiescence, as you delve into the beautiful mountain splendour.
Thirty gracefully renovated rooms and suites await you with a charming Italian design and alpine chic ambiance, topped with light-toned décor, wooden hues, and floor-to-ceiling windows.
The on-site spa with aroma grotto is an idyllic spot to pamper your senses and rediscover harmony of body and mind, featuring premium access to the garden loungers.
A waterfall, bubble bench, and various jets have been gorgeously fitted into an indoor adventure pool, offering the perfect place to relax your tired muscles after a day of skiing.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Eden Wellness
11. Nomad by CERVO Mountain Resort – a stunning high-end resort that provides a peaceful setting where you can unplug and unwind
Owing to its chic design and flexible room layout, Nomad by Cervo invites you to the ultimate base camp for diving into the mountain world of Zermatt.
The ideal spot for pioneers, explorers, and adventurers alike, the property boasts an elegant outdoor area with a swimming pond, as well as a permaculture garden.
In the contemporary, intimate rooms, you will find everything that makes a short visit to the Zermatt mountains unforgettable, with breathtaking views blissfully complementing the artsy décor, natural materials, and plush seating areas.
This contemporary alpine style evokes a sense of casual luxury, in a melting pot rooted in traditional values while embracing modern, international influences.
- To book, check prices or availability for Nomad by CERVO Mountain Resort
12. The Christiania Mountain Spa Resort – a chic resort where tradition meets modernity and where guests can enjoy panoramic vistas
A wealth of comfort and warmth awaits you at this graceful family-run hotel, where a cosy informal atmosphere offers a unique charm of tradition meets modernity.
Combining an industry-leading wellness offering with a personalized service, The Christiania provides a dreamlike serenade to your alpine adventures.
Boasting the largest spa in Zermatt, you are invited to relax in an oasis of peace amid the authentic, natural scenery. Rustic furnishings bolster the friendly, down-to-earth feel in the guestrooms, which have been inspired by local cultural traditions, and combined with touches of modern luxury.
The high-quality culinary selection on-site features locally sourced ingredients, delicious wines, and an extensive bar.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Christiania Mountain Spa Resort
13. Unique Hotel Post – a cool and unique rustic-chic hotel built in the 19th century
A smooth alpine aesthetic permeates this hip four-star 1875 property, famed for its après-ski parties, three exquisite mountain restaurants, and well-appointed spa.
A seductive low-lit ambiance is fused by a sophisticated blend of stark black paintwork and soft oak, topped with a modern hip vibe. The 29 guestrooms come in the form of swish log cabin-style sanctuaries and are branded by their sandblasted wood walls, tweed detailing, quirky design elements, and luxurious extras.
The candlelit spa exposes stone and oak, and features a warm whirlpool, sauna, and steam room, while offering a sports massage employing eucalyptus oil, perfect for after a day of skiing.
- To book, check prices or availability for Unique Hotel Post
14. Backstage Hotel Serviced Apartments – one of the most Instagrammable aparthotels in Zermatt
Backstage Hotel befits the motto ‘My home is your home’, considering renowned architect Heinz Julen (who designed the hotel itself) lives just two floors above.
His signature work is embodied throughout all of the furnishing in the hotel, and the serviced apartments are eloquent examples of his contemporary craftsmanship.
Full hotel services are offered to guests, who can revel in breathtaking Matterhorn views from the optimum seclusion of their private balcony or terrace.
Conveniently located to soak up the alpine charm, the Zermatt Matterhorn Express Cable Car can be reached within a 250-metre stroll. Each unit is decked out with a stunning fireplace and precious pieces of art, enhancing a vivacious colour scheme.
- To book, check prices or availability for Backstage Hotel Serviced Apartments
15. Carina – Design&Lifestyle hotel – a cool and trendy ski-to-door hotel that features handmade furniture
Combining the spirit of a mountain hut with all the conveniences of a five-star hotel, this design & lifestyle hotel echoes a sustainable ethos to promote the beautiful, the organic, and the good.
Embracing the work of local artisans, Carina is teeming with regional products and natural materials to create its sleek design. Forming a blissful sanctuary focused on well-being, a caring, convivial environment is emanated down to the smallest detail.
The guestrooms offer plush Swiss bedding, unparalleled functionality, and are individually catered to travellers of all budgets. Throughout the property, many guest corners are appointed to help you withdraw to a simple sense of bliss and immerse yourself in total refinement after a day of activity.
- To book, check prices or availability for Carina – Design&Lifestyle hotel
16. Schweizerhof Zermatt – a Small Luxury Hotel – a unique and cool hotel great for families
Located at the foot of the Matterhorn, The Schweizerhof blends the essences of alpine and urban into a luxury hospitality experience characterized by simplicity, tradition, and sophistication.
Designed for travellers who are willing to let go and live life to the full, the 95 rooms have seen a bespoke re-imagination, with a chic, Swiss-chalet ambiance flowing through the charming décor.
A deep dive into a fine world of culinary delights awaits you here, with an open show Kitchen offering live preparations of international-style cuisine.
You can choose from American BBQ charcoal grill dishes, or indulge in iconic Peruvian-Asian and Swiss cuisines at this eclectic diner.
- To book, check prices or availability for Schweizerhof Zermatt – a Small Luxury Hotel
17. Matthiol Boutique Hotel – a contemporary, rustic-chic, laid-back boutique hotel that serves international cuisine
Unobtrusively designed to blend in with the landscape, this traditional Swiss chalet style construction is comprised of natural timber, granite, and slate, combined to create an elegant ambiance for the discerning traveller.
The commodious guestrooms are teeming with natural wood and boast spectacular mountain views. Beyond the refinement of the boutique guestrooms, state-of-the-art spa facilities enhance the hospitality experience at Matthiol, offering a blissful space of opulence to rejuvenate body, mind, and soul.
Meanwhile, the menus of the on-site restaurant are based on an innovative combination of traditional recipes and local ingredients, offering a sumptuous experience to relish with loved ones.
- To book, check prices or availability for Matthiol Boutique Hotel
18. BEAUSiTE Zermatt – a sophisticated, charming cozy hotel beautifully inspired by the golden age
Established in 1907, this stunning hotel has undergone a recent reinterpretation of its pioneering days, which has seen vibrant interiors and contemporary décor added to an already charisma-filled property.
The 67 rooms and suites mostly feature breath-taking views of the Matterhorn, and invite guests to a comfy, lavish space to rest up after an epic day in the alpine.
The spa experience guides adventurous spirits through a mountain cave area and winter garden zone, and into a mind space where they feel re-energized and ready to take on the next adventure. You can choose from an energy massage, hot stone massage, or a herbal compress unless you want to go off-piste and customise your own treatment plan.
Whatever path you choose will be accompanied by carefully curated natural products.
- To book, check prices or availability for BEAUSiTE Zermatt
19. Riffelhaus 1853 – an upscale hotel ideal for a peaceful or romantic stay with a hot tub
This grand, ostentatious hotel is a living testament to the golden age of alpinism, and has transformed over the decades from a mountaineer lodge to a luxury hotel, without losing the ambiance of its pioneering days.
Set at a whopping 2548 metres on the side of the Riffelberg mountain, the hotel has housed many famous mountaineers in its century and a half of operation.
The magnificent Matterhorn can be viewed from both the spa and the 25 opulent rooms and alpine suites. Decorated with fragrant pine wood and topped with state-of-the-art amenities, a stay here transcends your typical perception of a Zermatt stay.
Classic mountain cuisine and local delicacies are served in the on-site restaurant & terrace, accompanied by a fine glass of local Pinot Noir with the backdrop of the Matterhorn.
- To book, check prices or availability for Riffelhaus 1853
20. SchlossHotel Zermatt Active & CBD Spa Hotel – a relaxed spa hotel with individually furnished rooms surrounded by majestic Swiss Alps
The Matterhorn beckons at this stunning hotel, which echoes a simple philosophy rooted in well-being. Offering limitless access to the outdoor activities which characterize the cult-classic mountain village of Zermatt, SchlossHotel has reinvented itself as a place pulsating with life, designed for those who relish both adventure and opulence.
Breathe in herbal aromas at the new 630 m2 wellness centre, the only Zermatt spa which utilizes hemp products to create a soothing experience.
You will find an idyllic refuge for relaxation in the stylishly rustic rooms and suites, which come equipped with plush Jensen beds. Savour some of Zermatt’s gastronomic highlights in the hotel’s breakfast, which begins your day with traditional, hearty offerings.
- To book, check prices or availability for SchlossHotel Zermatt Active & CBD Spa Hotel
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Val d’Isere
- Cool boutique hotels in Vienna
- Cool boutique hotels in Munich
- Cool boutique hotels in Berlin
- Cool boutique hotels in Paris
- Cool boutique hotels in Prague
- Cool boutique hotels in Budapest
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Verbier
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Courchevel
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Meribel
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Tignes
- Cool and Unusual hotels in St Moritz
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Breuil-Cervinia
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Mayrhofen
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Kitzbühel
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Innsbruck
- Cool and Unusual hotels in St Anton
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Interlaken
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Villars
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Grindelwald
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Arosa
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Andermatt
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Les Portes du Soleil
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Megeve
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bern
Gary is an award winning full time professional photographer and videographer with too much wanderlust for his own good. Fuelled by strong coffee, you’ll often find him wandering well off hiking trails in search of interesting photographic subjects or scenery to video. Self taught and with the use of pioneering digital techniques, he quickly built up a strong client base and has worked with many prestigious organisations, including GQ, BBC, London Fashion Week, Grazia, Sky, Metro, Vogue Italia. He specialising in evocative images of people, places and cinematic videography and his goal is to make the viewer look twice and engage. As well as a penchant for good design, the ketogenic diet and Hungarian Vizslas, he also has a huge affection for Chicago, Bucharest, Scandinavia, Croatia and absolutely everywhere in Italy. Find him on Instagram @garynansome, Twitter @garynansome and his website https://garynunn.co.uk/