A fabulous travel destination, especially for arty types, the Catalonian capital has been at the forefront of many a design movement – such as Modernism and Avant-Garde – over the centuries.
With its tireless commitment to creativity, Barcelona now has some of the most interesting and innovative architecture in Europe – not forgetting its eye-watering collection of hip bars, designer boutiques, and world-famous nightlife.
Mindful of its high proportion of youthful visitors, many of Barcelona’s hotels are unique, ultra-cool, and can also be surprisingly affordable. From intimate chic boutiques to grand, ultra-modern and wow-inducing, here is our favourite collection of unusual, cool and hip hotels in Barcelona, Spain (in no particular order)...
1. Hotel SB Glow – a popular, fun and very Instagrammable design hotel located near the beach perfect for partying Millenials and Gen Zs
Gorgeously chic and modern, the 4-star exceptionally rated SB Glow Hotel is all the Mediterranean magic you’ve ever wanted! Located in the heart of Barcelona just an 18-minute walk to the beach there’s a range of truly delicious rooms to choose from.
As well as all mod cons, other super lush features in the guest rooms include colourful murals, Mediterranean tiles, terraces, romantic four-poster beds and whirlpool tubs.
Opt for an upgrade and expect cute porch swings and dining areas. There’s also an onsite restaurant, a hammam, a sauna, a fitness centre and a truly spectacular rooftop bar and infinity pool. This trendy Barcelona abode is one of the most popular hotels in the city and with good reason!
- To book, check prices or availability for SB Glow Hotel
2. Hotel Neri – a unique and intimate upscale boutique housed in a historic 12th-century building in the Gothic Quarter
Housed in a beautifully renovated 12th-century building, the gorgeous and exceptionally rated 5-star Neri Hotel is located in the heart of the city’s charming old Jewish quarter.
You’ll love the combination of rustic stone architecture and contemporary up-scale decor which results in one of the most elegantly beautiful hotels in Barcelona.
All rooms at this intimate gorgeous Spanish hotel are sumptuously designed and there’s also an onsite luxury lounge bar, a polished library and an intimate rooftop terrace.
Although it’s the personal touches that are the real key to this hotel’s success and they include a butler service, in-room massages, personalized drinks, fresh flowers delivered to your room every day and even a choice of pillow filling – now that’s attention to detail!
- To book, check prices or availability for Neri Hotel Barcelona
3. Hotel 1898 – a beautiful and chic hotel housed in a 19th-century colonial-style building overlooking the famous La Rambla promenade
It was the history that attracted me to this hotel which is housed in the old General Philippines Tobacco Company Headquarters in the very heart of Barcelona overlooking La Rambla promenade.
As soon as I entered the 4-star exceptionally rated Hotel 1898 the bright and airy colonial-style lobby, stunningly renovated by Núñez i Navarro I knew I was going to love it! Full of gorgeous colonial flair with a contemporary twist, from the gorgeous marble floors to the striped walls and carved stone arches, this place is a masterpiece!
The beautiful Barcelona abode had a choice of two pools, one in the beautiful basement surrounded by brick archways and one on the roof looking out over the city.
My sleek and modern room was a delight and came complete with all mod cons and a wonderful blue marble bathroom (just think of Ariel under crystal waves). The staff were attentive and kind and the location was ideal. This hotel is pretty hard to beat…can I move in, please?
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel 1898
4. W Barcelona – this iconic, contemporary and very Insta-worthy upscale hotel is the hottest address in the city
Located right on Barceloneta Beach, this architecturally stunning and wow-inducing building is the place to be seen. Party with the beautiful people and gaze at gorgeous sea views and incredible design the at the same time.
Outside the large iconic hotel has a unique and unmissable shimmering sail-like structure and inside all of the 473 guestrooms, suites and communal rooms offer a striking, futuristic and very Instagrammable design.
Other hotel highlights include an onsite spa with no less than seven treatment rooms (and a hot tub, sauna and steam room), two swimming pools (one an infinity pool) a SUN Deck and a WET Deck, a rooftop bar, a fabulous entertainment and relaxation space, a Gaudí-inspired bar serving up fabulous cocktails, stylish restaurants, direct beach access, a foosball table and 65-inch curved-screen TVs. You’ll never want to leave!
- To book, check prices or availability for W Barcelona
5. The Hoxton Poblenou – a hip, cool and trendy hotel with a stunning architectural design and fabulous rooftop views
Located in the creative neighbourhood of El Poblenou between the city and the sea, the Hoxton is right next to the exciting bars, restaurants, art studios and shops in the area as well as the metro station.
The neighbourhood and its history are also the design inspiration for the hotel, with a Mediterranean colour palette, terracotta flooring, bespoke tapestries that tie in with the area’s textile-making past, and murals by contemporary Catalan artists.
The understated decor with floral touches and curated artwork makes for a relaxing ambience in the rooms, which are also supplied with locally-roasted coffee. Some rooms have views of the Sagrada Familia and the city.
You’re well provided with food and drink between the Four Corners pizza restaurant on the ground floor and the rooftop Tope taqueria and bar, which is right next to the swimming pool and cabanas and has spectacular views over the city.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Hoxton Poblenou
6. Kimpton Vividora – an ultra-chic pet-friendly boutique hotel with fabulous rooftop views located in the lively Gothic Quarter
In the heart of Barcelona’s Gothic Quarter, you’ll find the Kimpton Vividora Hotel with all the comforts and close to major attractions like Sagrada Familia, the Gothic Picasso Museum, Plaza Catalunya, and the historic architecture and trendy restaurants in the area.
Like all Kimpton hotels, the Vividora takes its design inspiration from its neighbourhood and surroundings, and you’ll find warm colours.
Mediterranean blues and local furniture to create the ambience of upscale Barcelona city life. The stylish accommodations have impossibly comfortable beds, cool marble and warm wood finishes, and windows overlooking the city, and the suites have private terraces.
There’s a rooftop pool, gym, and wellness room with soothing treatments and yoga classes. You can relax at the Terraza de Vivi rooftop terrace bar and take in sweeping views of the city, stop for coffee, cheese-and-charcuterie, and cocktails at the GOT bar, and enjoy Mediterranean-style meals at the Fauna restaurant.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kimpton Vividora
7. Chic & Basic Hotel – a cool and trendy intimate boutique hotel that mixes music and an avant-garde design located in a vibrant central area
In keeping with the city’s magnificent Avant-Garde ambience, the popular and highly rated design hotel Chic and Basic Born Hotel perfectly blends modern decor with unique and interesting features and throw in a wonderful rooftop terrace for good measure!
I loved the way the century-old building has been transformed into a bright and light contemporary Spanish design hotel and stand-out features include the 22-foot high ceilings, the gorgeous marble bannisters, the elegant tiled floors and the bedroom light system which transformed the room according to my mood at the time.
Located in a fabulous central location just a block away from the famous Las Ramblas, the name is something of a misnomer really as this chic Barcelona hotel is anything but basic, just an all-around wonderful place!
- To book, check prices or availability for Chic and Basic Born Hotel
8. Room Mate Anna – a striking and ultra-creative hotel that features a seasonal rooftop plunge pool with stunning views
The cheery, colourful interiors by designer Lorenzo Castillo in this design hotel play on the themes of the sea, marine life, and the Mediterranean.
Located in the Quadrat d’or, the Golden Square and the iconic buildings of Catalan modernism, it’s close to Plaza Cataluña with its restaurants, cocktail bars and chic shopping.
The rooms have vivid decor inspired by sea life, and some come with separate seating areas and balconies overlooking the Casa Batlló, the iconic modernist building by Gaudí. There’s a seasonal rooftop plunge pool and solarium, with panoramic city views.
A hot and cold buffet breakfast is served until noon, and dining options include the 1920s-inspired speakeasy Vibra with period food, cocktails, and live music, and the Terraza de Anna bar by Vida Mona which offers Mediterranean tapas and city views.
- To book, check prices or availability for Room Mate Anna
9. Occidental Diagonal 414 – an exquisite, creative and refined hotel that offers quirky-chic details and a memorable experience
This stylish design hotel is set right on the Avenida de la Diagonal, one of the main thoroughfares in Barcelona, walking distance to the city’s iconic attractions like Sagrada Familia, La Casa de les Punxes, Paseo de Gracia, La Ramblas, Barri Gotti, Park Guell, and La Perdrea. It’s also well-connected to public transit.
The cosy rooms and suites have neutral furnishings and muted touches of colour for a restful yet artistic look, and the deluxe ones have private terraces. From the higher floors, you can get a good view of the city and major landmarks.
There is a fitness studio and rooftop terrace and bar. The buffet restaurant serves breakfast and a Mediterranean and international menu all day.
- To book, check prices or availability for Occidental Diagonal 414
10. Ohla Hotel – a trendy boutique featuring a Neoclassical-inspired design and an Instagrammable rooftop pool located in the historic centre
The staff at this trendy upscale 5-star and exceptionally rated Neoclassical-style Ohla Hotel pride themselves on the details and the delivery of a truly unique experience for everyone that stays.
Located in the highly prized historic centre near a metro and Las Ramblas, at this gorgeously hip Barcelona hotel they provide a personalized service to each of its guests, providing expert advice on nearby tourist activities while also offering unrivalled gastronomy founded on locally sourced produce and recipes.
They believe that the space they’ve created for their guests – from the wellness centre and fabulous terraces – complete with unusual rooftop pool design and loungers – to the comfortable rooms with exceptional cityscape views, will ensure an unforgettable and ultra-trendy Barcelona stay!
- To book, check prices or availability for Ohla Hotel
11. Praktik Rambla – a wonderful Art Nouveau boutique housed in a stylish townhouse located near the famous La Rambla
Located on a tree-lined avenue in the heart of the Modernism district 5 minutes away from Gaudi’s Casa Batlló museum (one of my favourite areas in Barcelona) the much-loved and exceptionally rated Praktik Rambla is a designer Art Nouveau-inspired boutique hotel which still offers affordable room rates – very unusual indeed!
Housed in a stylish townhouse hotel with a Gothic facade, I loved that it still retained its beautiful original features such as mosaic floors and moulded ceilings.
I was also mightily impressed by other aspects of the hotel too, including the terrace complete with a modernist fountain, sun loungers and sofas – a peaceful area to relax on a sunny day.
Breakfast and bike rentals were available for a little extra, guest rooms had free WiFi, modern TVs and aircon and upgraded rooms had gorgeous floor-to-ceiling windows – a fabulous all-rounder!
- To book, check prices or availability for Praktik Rambla
12. Room Mate Gerard – a funky and sophisticated boutique hotel with industrial chic decor close to great attractions and lively districts
At this boutique hotel in the heart of Barcelona, you’ll feel more like a native than a traveller. The recently renovated building in the Eixample district is built in the traditional style around a courtyard and has a traditional facade with balconies.
You’ll be close to Passeig de Gràcia, Plaça Catalunya and Diagonal Avenue with exclusive shops, restaurants, bars and some of the city’s most iconic attractions.
The public spaces have bold design elements with materials like concrete, terrazzo and wood and curated artwork. In the rooms, the simple decor is both elegant and homelike, and there are all amenities like a minibar, tea- and coffee-making equipment, and air conditioning. At the hotel, you’ll also find a gym, rooftop pool, sun deck, and a spa with wellness therapy and yoga.
Breakfast is a serious business in Barcelona and there is a daily buffet spread with the obligatory pan tumaca plus pastries, fruit and more. The lobby bar serves cocktails, and there’s a wide choice of restaurants nearby.
- To book, check prices or availability for Room Mate Gerard
13. Hotel DO Placa Reial – a beautiful and artistic upscale boutique located near La Rambla with a rooftop swimming pool and a spa
This gorgeous gastro 5-star and exceptionally rated boutique hotel is housed in a stunning gothic palazzo and exudes old-time luxury and opulence.
Located in the heart of the city in Placa Reial off Las Ramblas – the carefully designed interiors at Hotel DO Placa Reial are beautifully restored to showcase original wood panel walls and hardwood floors, beautiful rugs and classic leather furniture in earthy tones and tactile fabrics.
The stunning historic features such as the wonderful white spiral staircase are just wonderful. If you can opt for a superior double room which is a cool and classy oasis of calm looking out over the Placa.
There are three delicious on-site places to eat to choose from but my favourite by far was the chilled-out tapas bar on the Terrasse, a place to also grab a cocktail and watch the world unfold around you – wonderful!
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel DO Placa Reial
14. Hotel España Ramblas – a unique boutique hotel inspired by Catalonian modernism housed in a 19th-century building in central Barcelona
The 4-star exceptionally rated Hotel España Ramblas is a beautiful Barcelona hotel is housed in a building dating from 1859. Decorated in a striking Catalonian modernism style, the chic Barcelona hotel is set amongst swish shops and restaurants on a pedestrian lane in quaint El Raval (a hip and bohemian neighbourhood area).
A cocktail bar and a sundeck are recent additions and the stylish guestrooms feature a blend of slate, grey and taupe with unique lit up headboards.
You can also enjoy food and drinks on the rooftop in the summer months and suites come with whirlpool tubs and living rooms. The gorgeous onsite restaurant with high ceilings serving up fine local cuisine is another reason to love this hotel!
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel España Ramblas
15. ABaC Hotel – a gorgeous and contemporary zen-like oasis with a 3-Michelin star restaurant located in a quiet part of the city
Set in peaceful gardens, the 5-star highly rated ABaC seems to have it all – gastronomy, architecture and a beautiful contemporary design.
The modernist-designed bedrooms have an ample supply of light and space and the owners also – rather fabulously – offer uniquely designed packages on different themes – gourmet, relaxation, finding your zen and sightseeing with a professional photographer on hand so you can really make the most of your trip.
The hip Barcelona hotel itself is a fusion of two-period buildings which have been refurbished to a very high standard but have also been declared a listed monument by the Barcelona City Council in honour of their historical and cultural importance to the city. Overall a seriously unique, wonderful and stylish experience!
- To book, check prices or availability for ABaC Hotel Barcelona
16. H10 Art Gallery – a beautiful and art-themed upscale hotel with a stunning garden located in the lively Eixample district
Uniquely art themed and beautifully contemporary, the 4-star exceptionally rated H10 Art Gallery is a trendsetting Barcelona hotel in the Eixample district with Gaudi’s iconic Casa Batllo and Casa Mila just within walking distance.
Dedicated to contemporary art with creative features throughout, the lush guest rooms offer a beautiful open-plan design with original pieces of work by globally renowned artists.
They also include either balconies or terraces and suites come with sitting areas and whirlpool tubs. Guests will love the cool Pop Art Bar with a terrace serving up creative cocktails in gorgeous surroundings and the hip Modern Art Restaurant.
Plus there’s an onsite gallery (of course!), a gym, a top-floor deck with a seasonal plunge pool but arguably it’s the L’Olivera Terrace with a century-old olive tree which is the biggest highlight!
- To book, check prices or availability for H10 Art Gallery
17. The Mercer Hotel – a gorgeous and romantic boutique hotel located between old Roman walls in the ancient historic quarter
Located in the historic Gothic quarter, the history of this chic and trendy Barcelona hotel was enough to get me interested. The gorgeous, avant-garde 5-star and exceptionally rated Mercer hotel occupies a collection of medieval buildings built atop the ancient Roman walls on Carrer Lledo.
Much of the original architecture has been artfully exposed during the renovation – including the wonderful medieval stone arches which offer a cool calm solidity to this boutique Spanish gem.
I stayed in a deluxe room with a view out at the innovative vertical garden, it was cool and spacious, decked out in tranquil neutral tones that made it feel restful and uncluttered. The hotel was so beautiful I spent a lot of time making the most of all it had to offer including a gorgeous rooftop pool and an atmospheric cocktail bar sandwiched between the ancient stone walls of the basement.
There was loads of tasty food too…I loved the Avant-Garde take on simple dishes that were served up in the restaurant and the laid-back Tapas in Le Bouchon.
The orange tree courtyard was a great respite after a long day of sightseeing and the friendly staff contributed greatly to the perfectly balanced atmosphere of refined/relaxed. I’ll be back for sure!
- To book, check prices or availability for The Mercer Barcelona
18. Hotel Pulitzer – a chic and cosmopolitan design hotel located in the heart of the city perfect for a stylish couple’s break
This Avant-Garde inspired sophisticated 4-star hotel is the perfect mix of class, comfort and fun. My room at the exceptionally rated Hotel Pulitzer was beautiful and spacious with all the creature comforts I could hope for, Egyptian cotton sheets, exposed wooden floors and tasteful furniture in warm tactile fabrics with lots of natural light.
There were live DJ sets on the rooftop bar every night which was a great opportunity to meet people in a really gorgeous setting. Just outside the peaceful oasis lies the bustling life of the central Plaza Catalunya, so a fabulous location too!
The food choices at this contemporary Catalonian hotel ranged from casual to fine dining and everything I ate was lovingly prepared from fresh local produce which was wonderful.
My favourite thing though was hiring a cool fold-up Brompton Bicycle and peddling around the vibrant city streets knowing I would go back to a cool, comfortable and deliciously luxurious room complete with a sumptuous four-poster bed and soak in the bath in my big black and white marble bathroom….simply divine!
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Pulitzer
19. Hotel Brummell – a chic and arty boutique hotel set in a restored 1870 building in the elegant Poble Sec neighbourhood
The exceptionally rated Hotel Brummell is the epitome of cool, delivering a clever juxtaposition between a modern approach to light and space with an all-encompassing respect for the traditional – the hip Barcelona hotel is housed in a beautifully restored 1870 building.
With a timeless and ethereal atmosphere, each room also acts as a showcase for local artists and makers as contemporary projects are regularly installed throughout the elegant building. Just outside the doors lies all the liveliness of central Barcelona, just a 15-minute walk from La Rambla and an 11-minute walk from Montjuïc cable car.
The modern rooms feature free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, tablets and upgraded rooms feature outdoor hot tubs and private terraces with city views.
Other great touches include a welcome pack including a printed tote (to help carry your souvenirs home), free yoga classes (to relax your aching muscles after all that sightseeing) and a half day free city bike, to help you explore the vibrant city in style!
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Brummell
20. Room Mate Emma – a futuristic, fun and funky hotel perfect for Millenials and Gen Z’s
Room Mate Emma is a fun and futuristic design hotel which also enjoys consistently high ratings! It’s located only a short distance 100 from Barcelona’s Diagonal Metro Station and the designer boutiques and chic street cafés of Rambla de Catalunya in the heart of trendy Eixample.
I marvelled at the LED-illuminated corridors, fell in love with the funky and stylish rooms and had some fun chats with the friendly staff.
The decor is bright, and minimalist with dramatic splashes of colour and fabulous use of lights. Also expect free Wi-Fi, digital radio and LCD TV with satellite channels and that all-important air conditioning – a must for any funky Barcelona hotel, especially if you’re visiting during the summer months.
- To book, check prices or availability for Room Mate Emma Barcelona
More unique and trendy hotels in Barcelona
- Axel Hotel – Voted the world’s premier gay boutique hotel
- Hotel Jazz – Centrally located trendy cosmopolitan hotel
- Hotel Granados – Swanky art deco design hotel with a rooftop pool
- Charmsuites Paralle – Central well-equipped stylish apartments
We also have posts on…
- Cool Boutique hotels in Madrid
- Cool Boutique hotels in Ibiza
- Cool Boutique hotels in Majorca
- Cool Boutique hotels in San Sebastian
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Marbella
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Malaga
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Algarve
- Cool Boutique hotels in Nice
- Cool Boutique hotels in Rome
- Cool Boutique hotels in Paris
- Cool Boutique hotels in Amsterdam
- Cool Boutique hotels in Athens
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Venice
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lyon
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Istanbul
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Andorra
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Milan
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Hvar
- Cool Boutique hotels in Marrakech
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Porto
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Split
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Zagreb
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Antalya
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Marseille
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Casablanca
- Cool boutique hotels in Faro
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Sorrento
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Valencia
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Formentera
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Seville
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bilbao
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Granada
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Palma
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Alicante
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Ronda
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Girona
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Benidorm
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.
10 thoughts on “Top 20 Cool and Unusual Hotels in Barcelona 2023”
Love Barcelona. Mine is number 2
Very cool hotels if you don’t have to look on the budget:) I had to stay in a dorm:) paid for five days 80 EUr..
Really cool list! Thanks! We particularly loved Chic and Basic – gorgeous!
Barcelona is a great city and in my opinion has the best hotels in Europe. The majority of the accommodations in Barcelona benefits of an amazing architecture and design. It is a truly amazing city that awaits you in every season of the year.
Barcelona has been a location I’ve wanted to visit for quite a while. I am an avid skateboarder, and so many professionals go there and find such unique skate spots and experience the interesting culture and architecture. It’s just very cool all around. The hotels in this city are definitely much more interested than those in the sister city Madrid which you have explored on this website as well. They are very much well rounded and cater to so many different interests.
Hotel Neri, where have you been all my life? I am very happy my friend told me about your site. Thanks for this post I get to list down hotels I want to try.
Thanks for all your comments! Looks like Hotel Neri is a favourite for many people!
Good collection of hotels, Hotel Neri looks gorgeous.
These are great Becky, thanks! I love Barcelona and have been wanting to make the trip back there this year – this list will totally come in handy!
Thanks Kathryn, it’s a great city I can’t wait to go back.