Folks in Portland love their food carts. Whether they’re looking for sushi or vegan burgers, pickled herring or pulled noodles, there is something for everyone in just about every Portland neighborhood. Pick up your meal and take it home, or sit at a nearby picnic table. You decide. Here are the best food carts/trucks/pods in Portland, Oregon…
1. Dailyfuelpdx – a super healthy food cart voted the Top 5 food trucks in Portland with vegan, gluten-free and chemical-free offerings
This very popular spot is the place to go all out on your health kick – think reverse osmosis alkaline water, electrolyte slushies, creamy jackfruit salad and soya-free Tempah burgers.
Head down to the back of the Hawthorne Asylum Food cart pod and you’ll find this fabulous hidden gem. Whether you’re vegan for the animals or just a super healthy person, this is a must-try food cart in Portland!
- 1080 SE Madison St, Portland, OR 97214
2. Erica’s Soul Food – the best Portland food cart for Southern Comfort Food
This cart on 82nd avenue is a relative newcomer to Portland’s food cart scene, but the owner and chef Erica prepares her menu like a seasoned pro. From Georgia originally, Erica has brought her take on Atlanta-style wings, serving them up in a heaping pile slathered with lemon pepper and buffalo sauce.
Sides include black-eyed peas and collard greens, and the cart does a great job on that classic Southern dish, mac n’ cheese. On the sweeter side is a pound cake, which Erica prepares according to a secret family recipe. And where else in Portland can you get a COVID-19 vaccine jab on-site while your take-out is being prepped? Good thinking and great community service, Erica!
- 120 NE Russell St, Portland, OR 97212
3. Native Bowl Food cart – an all Vegan awesome Asian-accented food
This is another fabulous all Vegan food cart but this one has focused on serving up Asian-accented food ‘made from scratch with love.’ Located on Mississippi St and in downtown Portland, they specialize in incredible vegetarian stir-fries made with local ingredients and fusion rice bowls.
Also give the bbq soy curls a try! Leave here happy, healthy and completely guilt-free!
- Native Bowl Food cart
- 4233 N Mississippi Ave, Portland, OR 97217
4. Flipside Bar And Carts – a bar and food cart that will cater for all tastes with a variety of worldwide cuisines to select
This location on Woodstock Boulevard offers a cart for every menu craving. In the mood for a traditional American cheeseburger? Flipside has got you covered. Want some Thai cuisine, a pitcher of beer or seafood straight from the market?
Check – it’s all here, in plenty of different cuisines and cooking styles. The food carts open at different hours, so call ahead if you have a particular one in mind. Eat there or get take out for home.
- 9320 SE Woodstock Blvd, Portland, OR 97266
5. DesiPDX – a much loved Indian inspired food cart with Gluten-Free, Organic, Paleo and Vegan Options
A tasty and very popular food cart located on the hip and buzzy N. Mississippi Avenue serving up modern creative takes on classic Indian dishes. As well as all the usual herbs and spices you’ll also find plenty of Gluten-Free, Organic, Paleo and Vegan Options too.
DesiPDX prides itself on only using locally and regionally sourced organic ingredients and they use GMO-free ingredients whenever possible.
- 4233 N Mississippi Ave, Portland, OR 97217
6. Bing Mi Food Cart – a cart that serves delicious Chinese street food
This spot specializes in “jianbing,” which is a kind of Chinese savory crepe. Bing Mi staff don’t spare the stuffings, jamming the crepes chock full of everything from green onions to seafood or fish of many varieties.
This is a hugely popular food cart in Portland, partly because it’s been around for about 10 years and folks know the food is awesome. It’s also Keto-diet friendly! Located at the Portland Saturday Market, open until five on Saturday and 4:30 on Sunday.
- 1845 NW 23rd Pl, Portland, OR 97210
7. Yoshi’s Sushi – a sushi bar where you can find outstanding Japanese and Korean fare
This cart opens daily at 10, and is very popular with the lunch and early dinner crowd, particularly those craving seasonal fish and great avocado rolls. It’s located in the Multnomah Village French Quarter for phone in orders only.
- 3530 SW Multnomah Blvd, Portland, OR 97219, United States
- +1 503-833-2940
8. Fatsquatch PDX – said to be one of the best food carts in Portland which serves up totally awesome vegan food and gluten-free options
This is an amazing food cart and which is often said to be the best vegan food cart in Portland, Oregon! Which given the competition is quite an accolade.
The cart has a cool, funky design, it offers both indoor and outdoor seating and the menu has vegan snacks as well as plenty of more hearty vegan comfort food. Try the fried popcorn ‘chicken’, the vegan cheese grits, and the very popular gluten-free onion rings!
- 5240 NE 42nd Ave, Portland, OR 97214
9. Stretch The Noodle – one of Portland’s favourite Chinese-style hand-pulled noodles spot
Located downtown, this food cart offers plenty of innovative takes on traditional noodles. You can walk up to the truck or call ahead for orders of pork and shrimp dumplings, beef broth noodle soup and lots of other delicious Asian dishes including plenty of veggie options.
- 223-269 SW Washington St, Portland, OR 9720
10. Viking Soul Food – nominated one of the best food carts in the country
Situated on Belmont Street, this food truck has been dishing up Scandinavian potato flatbread (called lefse) with everything from herring to smoked salmon to seafood chowder or meatballs for more than 10 years now. It’s a favorite with Portland residents and visitors alike. Open daily.
- 4255 SE Belmont St, Portland, OR 97215
11. Cartopia Food Carts – a place where you will find lots of food carts with ample covered seating and a fire pit with vegan options too
This collection of carts, which is called a pod, offers consumers just about everything they could possibly crave – traditional dishes like burgers and French fries, pizzas with a variety of toppings for vegetarians and meat lovers alike, or Thai dishes, including a well-reviewed version of Pad Thai. Located on Hawthorne Blvd., the carts are open each day for dine in or take out.
- 1207 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR 97214
12. Bao Bao Food Truck – a funky counter-service eatery that specializes in handmade steamed buns and dumplings
This cart was – and is – such a smash hit with residents the owners/chefs opened a 20-seat restaurant on Couch Street. The cart of located in the inner northeast neighborhood of Portland, and it’s still serving up loads of bao, dumplings with pork and scallions, and a variety of soups. Walk up and order or call ahead.
- 545 NE Couch St, Portland, OR 97232
13. Tasty MF – a laid-back mobile cart that offers an exotic menu with a vast variety of choices
This local institution was such a success story that it now has a full-blown restaurant on Lake Oswego. Dinner is served started at 5 p.m. throughout the week, and brunch is served on the weekends from 9 until 2.
The restaurant works to promote all the wonderful local foods of the Pacific Northwest, and has a full menu, full bar, and happy hour to boot. Tasty is a long way from its early days.
- 3925-3927 N Williams Ave, Portland, OR 97227
14. El Taco Yucateco Food Cart – family-owned taco cart where authentic flavors from Yucatan are found
Although this food truck is for now only open on Mondays, beginning at 10 a.m., the food is raved about by everyone who tries it. There is much more than tacos on the menu – try to tostados and tomalies, too.
Varieties include chicken, pork or beef. Located downtown on Alder Street.
- 13116 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR 97230
15. Ball-Z Food Cart – unique cart that brings yummy food to your taste
Located on 82nd Avenue, this cart has been pleasing customers for a while, with locals loving the variety, like chicken meatballs, bratwurst, kale salad, potato croquettes and much, much more. Open daily for pickup, take out and delivery.
- 8145 SE 82nd Ave. Portland, OR 97266
16. Gumba Food Cart – a must-try Italian cart where you can dine in and enjoy appetizing food
Outdoor Italian food vendor serving pasta & small plates with rotating specials & catering options.
This is a favorite with Portland residents, famous for its fried chicken sandwiches and variety of “amazing” pasta dishes. Right now the cart, located on N.E. Alberta St., is only doing take out and delivery Thursday to Monday, 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. But if you’re interested in having the owners cater a private dinner or other event, they’re game!
- 1733 NE Alberta St, Portland, OR 97211
17. Kim Jong Grillin – a great food truck that provides flavorsome Korean food
This food truck is hugely popular with Portland residents, who line up daily to get a plate brimming with kim chi fried rice and a Korean take on the classic hot dog. Also a hit with locals and visitors alike are the Korean short ribs, the spicy chicken, and Bulgogi, marinated strips of beef that are incredibly flavorful and tender.
This cart is open from Wednesday to Sunday, and is located on Division Street. Folks start lining up early for their favorite food, so call ahead and order some Korean barbecue to take home for the whole gang.
- 4606 SE Division St, Portland, OR 97206
18. Kee’s Loaded Kitchen – soul food cart that will comfort your cravings
The hours of this food cart vary day to day, and so does the menu, but foodies rave online that it’s worth the wondering. Located on Martin Luther King Junior Blvd, Kee’s offers items he can get fresh every day, including chicken thighs with locally grown thyme, smoked brisket and ribs, and plenty of comfort food like mac n’ cheese.
Kee’s is closed for the moment, but come November 6th the cart will be rocking once again, offering the freshest local foods the owners can source
- 5020 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Portland, OR 97212
19. Tierra del Sol Food Truck – one of Portland’s best Mexican – Oaxacan food spot
This is the cart to visit when you’re craving a hit of Mexican, specifically food from the Oaxaca region. There are tacos, quesadillas with meat or vegetables, and one entry, mole enchilada, that features an organic blue corn tortilla filled with chicken breast or stuffed full of veggies.
The tacos are so delicious and authentic they’ve been voted “best taco” in Portland in 2017. Two locations, one in southeast Portland that’s open from 10 a.m., Monday to Sunday, and another location in Montavilla on Gilsan Street, open from Monday to Saturday starting at 8 a.m.
- 7238 SE Foster Rd #1, Portland, OR 97206
20. Botto’s Barbecue Food Truck – praised barbecue truck where you can try rich savory flavors
When you’ve got a hankering for meat and lots of it, Botto’s (actually, it’s Bottom’s) has got everything you want. Online reviews say the brisket, smoked sausages and pulled pork sandwiches are true standouts. Open daily, located on Milwaukie Avenue.
- 3120 SE Milwaukie Ave, Portland, OR 97202
Scott started his travelling life back in 1999, when he headed off on a solo jaunt to South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia with just a backpack, a camera and a spirit for adventure. After that, the travel bug bit hard and now he is always seeking to head off somewhere new. Over the years he has lived in Italy, Qatar, Ireland, UK and the US but his spiritual home will always be Rome as this is the city which most satisfies his unrelenting craving for culture, good food and great football. Scott loves nothing better than to be behind the camera and also runs his own blog and Instagram page. He also counts Melbourne, Cape Town and Tel Aviv among his favourite places. Follow him on Twitter and Instagram at @scottbalaam