Home to an extensive and dynamic nightlife, Portland will offer you a great variety of free-spirited nightclubs to explore. No matter your taste in music you will find clubs that play all genres for all ages. It’s a guarantee that you won’t be disappointed. From nightclubs to karaoke bars Portland will provide you with the most unique nightlife in the USA. If you’re planning a night out, here are the best nightclubs in Portland, Oregon…
1. McMenamins Crystal Ballroom – an iconic Portland institution offering some of the best Portland nightlife
For a club with history, there is no better place to go than McMenamins Crystal Ballroom. Originally known as Cotillion Hall, the venue hosted balls starting in 1914, Great Depression-era dance revivals, and more.
All of its history does not stop McMenamins from providing a fun, modern night out. It is one of the best places in town to check out live music acts. Plus, it is probably the most stylish place to dance in the whole city, thanks to its crystal chandeliers and floating dance floors, one of the only ones of its kind still in operation in the country.
- Address: 1332 W Burnside St, Portland, OR 97209, United States
- McMenamins Crystal Ballroom
2. Dirty Nightclub – said to be Portland’s hottest nightclub
For a night of dancing and letting loose, Dirty Nightclub is one of the best places to go in Portland. Unlike other clubs where you are crammed in so tightly that you barely have space to breathe, let alone dance, Dirty Nightclub has two dance floors, each with its own DJ spinning different music. The club also has 17 dancing poles for when you’re feeling a bit frisky.
Any night is a good night at Dirty Nightclub, but be sure to check out their themed nights on Monday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. If you want a VIP area, make reservations in advance because this place gets packed.
- Address: 35 NW 3rd Ave, Portland, OR 97209, United States
- Dirty Nightclub Website
3. Opaline – a very popular Indonesian inspired music lounge and EDM music venue
The Opaline lounge is one of Portland’s best destinations for a laid-back night out. Just opened in August 2021, it’s one of the city’s freshest spaces, offering a fun night out in a way that still feels fresh. Like 45 East, it is a premium destination for EDM music, and aficionados can dance the night away.
Opaline’s EDM nights come with a twist. The venue is inspired by Indonesian culture, which is reflected in the décor and the cocktails. If you’re looking to add a destination to your list that will surprise your friends, Opaline is the place to go.
- Address: 105 NW 3rd Ave, Portland, OR 97209, United States
4. East – a cool nightspot with an underground vibe
If you want to enjoy the feeling of an underground location that is still tried-and-true, 45 East is the place to go. This is a club that caters to those who are serious about their EDM music, and the club regularly hosts popular DJs from that scene.
With an unassuming entrance that leads to an industrial space, complete with covered balcony, you’ll feel as if you’re at the hottest underground rave in town. Check out their gallery of events, including themed music nights, to find the vibe that you’re after – this is Portland nightlife at some of its most hardcore!
- Address: 315 SE 3rd Ave, Portland, OR 97214, United States
- 45 East Website
5. Dixie Tavern – a rock ‘n’ roll kind of a club with a fun mechanical bull and karaoke
Even in the heart of modern, hip Portland, you can find a place to have a rollicking good all-American night on the town. Dixie Tavern specializes in rowdy rock ‘n’ roll with a traditional American theme. The two-story club is decorated in a rustic American theme, complete with a mechanical bull.
This is not the kind of club that you come to for fancy beer on tap, they only serve beer in cans. However, it is the kind of place for a fun night out on the town. Entertainment includes live music nights, karaoke, sports, and servers prone to dancing on the bar. Easily one of the most fun nightclubs in Portland!
- Address: 32 NW 3rd Ave, Portland, OR 97209, United States
- Dixie Tavern Website
6. Shake Bar – a vibrant neon-colored bar with a hip-hop focus
Shake Bar is one of the best nightclubs in Portland to get down to a night of hip-hop. The club’s multiple DJs spin the latest hip-hop artists as well as radio hits that are tearing up dance floors all over the country for a crowd-pleasing yet unique mix.
The club’s environment adds to the danceable atmosphere. Besides the main dance floor, there are two open VIP lounges where anyone can reserve space and bottle service. Shake Bar also hosts regular afterparties for local musicians. With a strict “dress to impress” dress code and a packed nightclub every weekend, this is the place in Portland to see and be seen.
- Address: 28 NW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97209, United States
- Shake Bar Website
7. Holocene – an auto warehouse turned into an awesome music and art venue
Once an auto warehouse, the Holocene is Portland’s hottest nightclub venue for music, arts, and other events that help contribute to the city’s funky vibe. Once you get past the industrial-looking exterior, you’ll find a two-story events space with DJs playing EDM music and other funky mixes.
Before you go, be sure to check out the event calendar on their site. Holocene regularly hosts live music acts as well as themed DJ nights such as Afrobeats, bubblegum pop, and more.
- Address: 1001 SE Morrison St, Portland, OR 97214, United States
- Holocene Website
8. Trio Lounge – a stylish late night bar with a swanky Las Vegas vibe
The Trio Club and Lounge is one of the best places to go in Portland for a fun karaoke night with your friends. The place is far from a dive bar full of people working through breakups. Instead, it’s a club with luxurious touches that are inspired by the opulence of Las Vegas.
You can rent a private karaoke lounge for your friends or participate in their monthly karaoke parties. If you’re not in the mood to be the entertainment yourself, get onto one of two themed dance floors. One usually spins current music while the other is dedicated to Latin hits.
- Address: 909 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97214, United States
- The Trio Club website
9. The Florida Room – a tropical atmosphere combined with a dusky relaxed bar
Portland may be rainy all the time, but step into this club and you’ll feel as if you are transported to the tropics. The Florida Room is a tiki-themed bar that’s a lovable neon hue. In true dive bar fashion, their primary offerings are beer, although you can also get cocktails.
Owned by people with decades of experience in the hospitality industry, this bar and club is a homage to the kitsch of themed bars everywhere. It’s also one of Portland’s best laid-back queer spaces.
- Address: 435 N Killingsworth St, Portland, OR 97217, United States
- The Florida Room Website
10. Barbarella – said to be “Portland’s New Video Dance Dive” for fun unique nightlife in Portland
Barbarella, named in tribute to the kitsch Jane Fonda sci-fi movie, is another mainstay of the Portland music scene. The club has more of a dive bar vibe than CC Slaughters, making it a good choice for a relaxed night out. It leans into the camp spectacle inspired by its name and doesn’t take itself too seriously.
Barbarella regularly hosts DJs and a different decade-themed party every day of the week. Keep an eye out for their themed parties, during which drink specials can get as low as $3 per drink.
- Address: 125 NW 5th Ave, Portland, OR 97209, United States
- Barbarella Website
11. The Goodfoot – a two-level music venue and a great club to visit in Portland
The Goodfoot is one of those clubs that has something for everyone. If you are looking to dance the night away, their spacious downstairs area hosts frequent dance nights and live music acts. Be sure to check their events calendar to find a theme that you like.
If you are looking for a more laid-back night out, then the upstairs bar has you covered. Enjoy an impressive array of drinks, including beers from local microbreweries on tap in true Portland fashion, and comforting bar food. Plus, the upstairs area has all of your favorite bar games such as pool and pinball.
- Address: 2845 SE Stark St, Portland, OR 97214, United States
- The Goodfoot Website
12. Aztec Willie’s Taqueria – the Latin fever and where to drink, eat and dance (in no particular order)!
At Aztec Willie’s, you drink well, eat well, and dance well. During the day, this place is one of Portland’s best places to go for Mexican classics such as tacos, burritos, margaritas, and more. The bar hosts daily happy hours and has TVs for watching sports games.
At night, Aztec Willie’s Taqueria turns into Portland’s hottest Latin dance space. Grab a partner and salsa the night away, or watch the experts whirl on the dance floor. If you can’t tell your left foot from your right, most nights there are dance lessons before the dance floor opens. Plus, ladies don’t have to pay a cover charge.
- Address: 1501 NE Broadway, Portland, OR 97232, United States
- Aztec Willie’s Website
13. 503 Entertainment – a large Miami-style dance club in Portland
- Address: 6750 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy, Portland, OR 97225, United States
- 503 Entertainment Website
14. Darcelle XV – an upbeat nightclub with fabulous drag artists
This is a super fun club with an upbeat, positive atmosphere that has been running for over 50 years now and has even been added to the National Register of Historic Places and is the longest-running drag show on the West Coast.
The entertainment here is very unique with plenty of glitz and glamour in the form of female impersonators/drag artists that hail from all over the country. Also expect fun cocktails, musical performances, and an exclusive male stripper show at midnight on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Address: 208 NW 3rd Ave, Portland, OR 97209, United States
- Darcelle XV Website
15. CC Slaughters Nightclub – one of the oldest gay clubs in Portland and the most vibrant
CC Slaughters is one of the centers of gay nightlife in Portland. The bar and club has been providing Portland’s gay community with a place to dance since 1981. Thanks to the spacious dance floor, themed music nights, and no cover charge, this is one of the best places in the city to bust out your favorite moves. Themed nights include weekly ladies nights and Sunday drag shows.
If you are looking for a more relaxed night out, the adjacent Rainbow Room functions as a lounge where you can relax with your friends. The club also hosts big parties for Pride and New Year’s Eve.
- Address: 219 NW Davis St, Portland, OR 97209, United States
- CC Slaughters Website