From an eco lodge by-the-sea to an ancient village resort here are 10 ultra romantic European hotels guaranteed to melt the heart of your chosen one this Valentine’s Day…
1. The Scarlet Hotel, Cornwall, UK
For contemporary bliss without the carbon footprint try Cornwall’s Scarlet hotel. Positioned on the North Cornish coast, it offers unsurpassed – yet environmentally friendly – luxury. Highlights of this award winning hotel include an ayurvedic spa, outdoor wood-fired hot tubs, a well-stocked library and zen-like individually designed rooms, all with superb ocean views. The hotel also operates an adult-only policy guaranteeing a peaceful stay.
- Prices £150 per night.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Scarlet Hotel
2. Relais Bourgondisch Cruyce, Bruges, Belgium
Why not try the new romantic hotspot – and cheaper alternative to Paris – Bruges? One of the most romantic hotels in this medieval city is the fairytale-esque Relais Bourgondisch Cruyce. With timbered facades, a gabled roof and waterfront setting, hotels don’t come much more picturesque than this. The award wining lodging sits in the cultural centre of Bruges (near two intersecting canals) and comes with plush interiors and an attentive personal service.
- Prices from €160 a night.
- To book, check prices or availability for Relais Bourgondisch Cruyce
3. Le Prieure du Chateau de Biron, Dordogne, France
For a taste of rural France try the gorgeous Le Prieure du Chateau de Biron. The deluxe bed and breakfast –which can be found in village of Biron across from one of Southwest France’s most beautiful chateaux – was originally a priory dating from 500 years ago. The rooms are romantically rustic, yet come with a good range of modern amenities. Oh and the views overlooking the surrounding countryside are pretty hard to beat.
- Prices from €180 per night
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Prieure du Chateau de Biron
4. Portobello Hotel, London, UK
This vintage townhouse hotel enjoys a privileged position in the heart of bohemian Notting Hill and is easily one of the most romantic hotels in Europe. Like its offbeat surroundings, the Portobello is eccentric, captivating and a favourite of A-list hipsters. Rumour has it that it was even the scene of the famous Johnny Depp and Kate Moss champagne bath. With romance on top of the agenda here you can choose from rooms featuring muslim drapes and circular beds or antique four posters which were once the property of Hampton Court.
- Prices from £170 per night.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Portobello Hotel
5. Pegasus Suites and Spa, Santorini, Greece
This hotel is all about location, location, location. Carved into the cliffs of easily one of the most romantic Greek islands – Santorini – is this luxury retreat style hotel. The traditional white-washed building blends effortlessly with the surrounding natural beauty and it perfects a lie-back-and-do-nothing atmosphere. If the superlative views of the Aegean Sea doesn’t get your loved one in the romantic mood then sipping champagne in your terraced balcony hot tub surely will.
- Prices from €170 per night.
- To book, check prices or availability for Pegasus Suites and Spa
6. Aria Hotel, Prague, Czech Republic
A fusion of music and elegance, the Aira owners took an architecturally beautiful building and filled it with classical music. The result is one of the most critically acclaimed (and popular) hotels in the city of Prague – where else for example can you find a hotel with its own music director? Interiors are courtesy of famous Italian designers, Rocco Magnoli and Lorenzo Carmellini and highlights include a music salon, excellent fine dining and a musical library complete with its own private screening room.
- Prices from €170 per night.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Aria Hotel
7. Cappadocia Cave Resort and Spa, Turkey
Selected as one of the unusual hotels of the world, this truly unique hotel has been innovatively built into a cave. It offers panoramic views over the beautifully surreal landscape of Cappadocia and who says caves have to be uncomfortable? Each of the 79 rooms come with top-end boutique interiors, French-style beds, flat-screen TVs and massage showers. Also don’t leave without indulging yourself in the on-site spa which offers everything from a traditional Turkish Hammam to salt and ‘snow’ rooms.
- Prices from €160 per night.
- To book, check prices or availability for Cappadocia Cave Resort and Spa
8. Hacienda de San Rafael, Seville, Spain
Formerly a part of a thriving olive estate, this 18th century hideaway can be found in rural surroundings between the cities of Seville and Jerez. The ranch-style boutique retreat is white washed to perfection and mixes a rustic charm with contemporary chic. Sip sangria whilst watching the sunset over the Sierras of Grazalema, take breakfast in the pretty courtyard or choose one of the three private pools to take an afternoon dip.
- Prices from €250 per night.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hacienda de San Rafael
9. Locanda San Vigilio, Lake Garda, Italy
This handsome villa couldn’t be better located – it sits on the waters on the largest lake in Italy. A favourite of Tsars and Royalty, the area is extraordinarily beautiful and the scenery has remained virtually unchanged in the last 500 years. Surrounded by tranquil gardens and a park filled with cypress and lemon groves, the Locanda is the ultimate lake-side retreat. Enjoy fine dining in the cosy dining room and wake up to breakfast served on arched veranda overlooking the cool blue waters.
- Prices from €270 per night.
- Locanda San Vigilio, Punta San Vigilio. 37016 Garda (Vr) Italy
10. The Village at Lyons, Ireland
This is a unique complex of a formal restaurant, independent shops and boutique accommodation all set in the lush grounds of the Lyons Estate. The location – which is also on the Grand Canal and only 15 minutes from Dublin – is pretty idyllic. The historic village dates from the 17th century and has been lovingly restored to feature elegant interiors, four-poster beds and over-sized baths. There’s even a dovecote, which is home to four pairs of white doves.
- Prices from €90 per night
- The Village at Lyons, Skeagh, Newcastle Demense Cellbridge, Co. Kildare, Ireland