• Home
  • /
  • Travel
  • /
  • Travel advice – travelling to Europe after 2021
Venice Islands - where to go in Venice on GlobalGrasshopper.com

Travel advice – travelling to Europe after 2021

Europe’s full of incredible destinations to visit. France, Spain, and Italy are just a few of the most visited locations and there are 23 more fascinating countries in the Schengen Area. At the moment, you can travel to the region without applying for a visa or any form of travel authorization (if you’re from the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or many more countries). However, this will change in 2021 with the introduction of ETIAS Europe.

ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorization System) will be similar to the US ESTA visa waiver. You’ll need to register on the ETIAS website by entering a range of information. Most applications will be quickly approved and the ETIAS visas will be received by email. Many cities in Europe have been targeted by terrorists in recent years. ETIAS will strengthen the border security of the region, making it a safer place for locals and tourists.

What will travellers to Europe need to do before setting off?

Travel advice - travelling to Europe after 2021 Global Grasshopper

Before going to any of the countries in the Schengen Area, you’ll need to fill out the online ETIAS form. It shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes to complete and it will be straightforward. Most of the questions will be basic, you’ll need to enter your name, address, date of birth, and passport details. You’ll also need to enter some background information for security reasons and answer some questions about your health.

The answers you give will be screened using security databases and the vast majority of applications will be approved. It’ll be essential not to make any mistakes on the form to avoid complications. The only document you’ll need to apply is a valid passport. You’ll also have to make a payment using a credit or debit card.

Will you need to register with ETIAS every time you go to Europe

Travel advice - travelling to Europe after 2021 Global Grasshopper

No, ETIAS visas will be valid for 3 years. There’ll be no limit on the number of times you can enter the zone as long as the total number of days you spend in the Schengen Area isn’t longer than 90 days in any 180-day period.

After 3 years, when your visa’s expired, the renewal process will be justs as easy as the original process. If your passport expires before the 3-year duration, your ETIAS visa will also expire as you’ll not be able to transfer it to your new passport. In these cases, you’ll need to reapply for ETIAS to return to Europe.

Travelling to and around the Schengen Area with an ETIAS visa

Travel advice - travelling to Europe after 2021 Global Grasshopper

You’ll be able to enter any of the 26 Schengen countries by presenting your ETIAS visa and passport to the border authorities. If you have more than one passport you’ll need to use the same one to apply and to travel. There are no hard, internal borders between Schengen countries. This means that once you’ve presented your visa and entered one of the countries, you’ll then be able to move freely to and from the rest of them. There’s only a singular, shared border around the region.


Ever since he was knee-high to a grasshopper Al has always been a sucker for an adventure. As a kid he was lucky enough to be taken along on exotic far flung family jaunts and since then he's developed a taste for new cultures. From the sizzling street markets of Bangkok to the alligator infested waters of the Florida Everglades, he loves to be fully immersed in his surroundings, soaking up the sights, sounds and smells of every new destination he visits. Travelling and writing aside, he has spent many years working in the fine wine trade and certainly knows his clarets from his chiantis. He also has a special fondness for craft beer and all things artisan as well as his favourite destinations; Jamaica, Austria, Netherlands, Thailand and Mauritius.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.