So you’ve booked your flights, found your passport and now you’ve just got to decide what to pack! Much of our travelling is made up of short city breaks, and something we’re often asked is what we pack when we go away. If you’re just planning just to take carry-on luggage, it’s even trickier to know what cram into your case – especially with the airport security restrictions in place all over the world.
To answer this question we’ve teamed up with Round the World Experts, who have handily created an interactive packing list feature. Everything on the list is what I would personally take on a short city break away and if you click on the item you’ll find a little description of why I take that particular item and where you can buy it. From sightseeing in the day to dancing the night away, here’s our GlobalGrasshopper ultimate pack-light list for your cool weekend getaway…
And to convert this packing list to fit in a carry-on case…
- Buy 100ml clear plastic travel bottles and containers and add your toiletries to them, for the dry shampoo buy their miniature travel version instead.
- Pack a super slim umbrella instead of a full sized one.
- Check the weather before you go and decide to take either the fit flops or the canvas trainers – both are very comfortable for sightseeing but if it’s going to rain you’re better off skipping the fit flops!
- If you’re flying with an airline which will allow you to only take one piece of hand luggage still take the Tote bag (to use when you get there) but squeeze it in on top on your clothes and zip up as usual!
- Try out these packing cubes.
What do you pack when you go away? We’d love to hear all your ideas and tips…