Bestowed with a magnificent ancient history spanning around 3400 years, Athens symbolizes the Golden Age like no other city, and is known as the birthplace of Western civilization.
Under the shadow of the Parthenon, a thriving metropolis has formed, and its pulsating cityscape coexists beautifully with a multicultural personality, astonishing natural beauty, and an exquisite Mediterranean climate.
A stroll through Athens is an exciting journey through history, which is why millions of tourists flock to its multi-layered, storytelling streets each year.
The city’s extensive cluster of hotels reflects its vibrant rhythm of life and trendy urban vibe, from eclectic boutiques to classic Athenian masterpieces. Here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Athens, Greece (in no particular order)...
1. 14 Reasons Why Hotel Athens – hip and trendy upscale accommodation with a quirky industrial chic designed for couples and adults
Accentuating industrial vibes through a concrete and steel aura, the exclusive, game-changing design of 14 Reasons Why turns a simple journey into an unforgettable experience.
With impeccable attention to detail, this newly built city hotel boasts 14 guestrooms with tasteful décor, featuring an LCD TV, a minibar, an espresso machine, and an electric kettle.
The lobby, equipped with unique designer furniture, welcomes guests to a generous à la carte breakfast with fresh seasonal ingredients.
This quirky hotel is a 2-minute walk away from Monastiraki Square, and a mere 5 minutes walk from the world-famous Acropolis. This elegant hotel was designed, first and foremost, to fulfil the desires of the luxury traveller.
- To book, check prices or availability for 14 Reasons Why Hotel Athens
2. SOUL Athens Hotel – a funky and Instagrammable new boutique hotel perfect for partying Millenials and Gen Zs
Born out of a love for Greek culture in pursuit of an ultimate haven for the discerning traveller, SOUL is nestled in the heart and soul of Athens.
It’s 49 thoughtfully appointed guestrooms and suites offer a minimalist ambiance combined with high-quality linens, a TV with Netflix, and a walk-in shower complete with soothing bath amenities.
A rooftop which features awe-inspiring city and Acropolis views feature in this character-filled property, alongside a plunge pool which also offers breath-taking panoramas.
SOUL Athens hotel is situated near to Parthenon and Syntagma Square and provides round-trip airport shuttles to allow guests the chance to stay stress-free.
- To book, check prices or availability for SOUL Athens Hotel
3. Neoma – a gorgeous modern and very Instagrammable lifestyle retreat with fabulous rooftop views close to the Acropolis
The word Neoma in Greek origin means ‘new moon; pleasantness’, and this is truly fitting with this lush hotel. Enchanted by the secrets of the sky, the Neoma is a peaceful sanctuary by day, transforming into a vibrant hub at night to embody the surrounding hustle and bustle.
The uniquely designed, bright and elegant guestrooms feature eclectic city views and minimalist designs of muted tones and sleek lines, offering the peaceful respite to connect with natural beauty in your very own enclave.
The hotel’s rooftop terrace boasts captivating city views and sets the stage for an exclusive pool experience.
The energy, bold attitude, and playful irreverence of Athens’s thriving scene is embraced at this brand-new contemporary haven.
- To book, check prices or availability for Neoma Athens
4. Gatsby Athens – a superb centrally located boutique hotel with a stunning, unique and trendy design
Though the name may be as American as they come, Gatsby is a glimpse of timeless Athenian style, presenting a thoroughly homegrown Greek version of the Fitzgerald character’s carefree fantasy life.
The art deco echoes which suffuse the interior design offer an unmistakably hedonistic outlook, which spreads into its 33 boutique rooms. The rooms are given playful yet thoughtfully appointed names, from the Juliet Petite to the Bubbly and Gatsby suites.
The hotel’s social spaces are just as prominent as its guestrooms, with an all-day restaurant and bar serving up contemporary, Mediterranean flavours. Cloud 9, the guests-only rooftop bar boasts astonishing views of central Athens and adds a creative flair to your evening social antics.
- To book, check prices or availability for Gatsby Athens
5. Life Gallery Athens – a sleek and stylish contemporary upscale boutique hotel located in the sophisticated suburb of Ekali
Life Gallery is a proud member of the Bluegr Hotels & Resorts group. This 5-star boutique hotel blends natural splendour with a contemporary outlook, offering a one-of-a-king haven of serenity.
From gorgeous modern architecture to exquisite minimalist design, balance and harmony radiate through the hotels ethnic design elements. The branded furniture and luxury glass surfaces further emanate this charm.
The tranquil environs of the swimming pool and its fragrant gardens, and the industry-leading treatment rooms of the in-house spa, invite guests to unwind in an oasis of calm. The urban-chic feel balances the artistic ambiance, to ensure a city-break holiday beyond compare.
- To book, check prices or availability for Life Gallery Athens
6. The Gem Society Hotel – a gorgeous, creative, hip and Insta-worthy hotel offering a brand-new hospitality experience
Here we have a hip boutique for tasteful travellers, which pulls all strings to ensure a bespoke Athenian experience is provided to all its guests.
Located in the heart of the Historic Triangle, the Gem Society Hotel is the ideal base for tapping into all of the activities the city has to offer, and is the perfect respite for Culture Chasers, Bucket Listers, Foodie Travellers, and Summertime Holidaymakers alike.
Staying here is a promise of a heavenly night’s sleep. All rooms feature double sound-proofed windows, a walk-in rainfall shower, and house small groups up to larger families.
The hotel boasts the very first Gastronomy Boutique of Athens, ‘Muse Bistro’, which serves exquisite Mediterranean Cuisine and features a playful take on Greek classics.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Gem Society Hotel
7. Project 3 Urban Chic Hotel – a sleek, sexy and uniquely designed new urban retreat in a quiet location near Kolonaki Square
Greek folklore highly reveres the number 3, and it is often linked to tranquillity. Here at Project 3, the focus is on designing the perfect time-space continuum rooted in simplicity, aesthetics, and Meraki (a Greek verb meaning to do tasks with soul and love).
Located in the heart of one of Athens’s most quirky neighbourhoods, Kolonaki, neoclassical and modernist buildings accompany numerous trendy restaurants to create a truly unique cityscape.
These funky-designed accommodations are soundproofed, air-conditioned, and equipped with large flat-screen TVs, a fully stocked minibar, and tremendous character.
Onsite dining opportunities include Athens’s renowned 5-star Quintessa menu, boasting mouth-watering cuisine to suit all pallets.
- To book, check prices or availability for Project 3 Urban Chic Hotel
8. Colors Hotel Athens – a fun, colourful and upbeat hotel with an industrial chic design in a fabulous central location
Vivid, flamboyant, flashy – These three words come to mind when staying at Colors. The hotel is permeated by a vision to provide excellent value for money whilst upholding tremendous character.
Customer-centric luxury is combined perfectly with a smart, elegant design, to cater to the modern traveller. All of the 7 different types of guestrooms, from Business Economy to The Penthouse Suite, provide comforts and services to suit your every need, with trendsetting amenities and an A star service.
This funky, tech-savvy hotel is located on Benaki Street, and the most visited landmarks of the city can be reached within a few minutes.
- To book, check prices or availability for Colors Hotel Athens
9. Brown Acropol, a member of Brown Hotels – a hip, fun and retro-inspired lifestyle hotel inspired by the cosmopolitan vibes of the 60s
Inspired by the urban heritage of Athens and the legendary cosmopolitan vibes of the 60s, Brown Acropol’s retro aesthetic is seasoned with a modern take on upscale freshness.
This brand-new design hotel, the very first by Brown Hotels in Greece, boasts 165 refurbished rooms and suites featuring comfy beds and luxurious bathrooms.
Here, guests can lounge comfortably in optimum air-conditioned rooms which feature a Nespresso coffee machine or indulge in delicious, hand-crafted cocktails at the hotel bar.
The hotel’s swanky rooftop bar offers sweeping city views, whilst the trendy onsite restaurant meets the highest of standards and produces delicious culinary delights.
- To book, check prices or availability for Brown Acropol, a member of Brown Hotels
10. Coco-Mat Hotel Athens – a fun and quirky but classy boutique hotel with a relaxed and playful vibe in Athens’ swanky Kolonaki neighbourhood
Infused with a relaxed and playful vibe, the distinctive character of Coco-Mat addresses the modern traveller, and provides a restful haven in the fanciest, most vibrant district of Athens.
The timeless elegance of the Greek capital and the major sightseeing attractions can be easily accessed from one of the trendiest social hubs around!
Here, a comfortable hospitality experience is joined with contemporary urban living, within the peaceful respite of an Emmanuel Lazarides-designed building.
The hotel prioritizes the sleeping experience of its guests, with a purposefully designed calmness and exclusive charm radiating through all of its elegantly appointed guestrooms and suites.
- To book, check prices or availability for Coco-Mat Hotel Athens
11. ALKIMA Athens – a gorgeous and very Instagrammable “healthy living” hotel with a rooftop pool
Here we have a modern hotel which embodies a sense of physical and spiritual strength and resilience. A stay at Alkima is transformed into a trendy well-being experience revolving around healthy living, life balance, and a passion for fitness.
The hotel offers midnight yoga classes in the privacy of your own room (which also features state-of-the-art gym equipment), and an exclusive patio which provides a gorgeous, afternoon relaxation session.
The guestrooms are designed to let guests escape the fast rhythm of the city and surround themselves with the sounds of nature. Also boasting a rooftop jacuzzi bar overlooking the Acropolis, Alkima Athens genuinely offers the best of both worlds.
- To book, check prices or availability for ALKIMA Athens
12. Asomaton – a beautifully renovated boutique hotel housed in a striking historic building in central Athens
Made from wood and stone in the early 1900’s as a carriage wheel repair shop, this century-old building has been on a tremendous journey.
It was once an elegant townhouse, before being transformed into a boutique hotel in collaboration with the Greek Ministry of Culture.
Prioritising style, a contemporary outlook is blended beautifully with historical essence, which has seen the original stone exterior carefully refurbished, and the creation of a relaxing indoor plunge pool.
Each room is recognised by a unique celebrity portrait and designed with a monumental piece of artwork as the focal point.
The hotel’s breathtaking view of the Acropolis and the city can be relished during your morning breakfast, or during evening drinks and bites.
- To book, check prices or availability for Asomaton
13. Niche Hotel Athens – a unique and beautiful boutique hotel offering striking views of the Acropolis
Redefining the true essence of Athenian hospitality, this boutique 4-star hotel evokes a sense of comfort and rejuvenation and is backdropped by one of the most eminent landmarks in Greek culture, the Acropolis.
The 33 rooms and 4 suites are inspired by the ancient aesthetics that characterize this supreme location, with a bespoke décor oriented around the beautiful beaches of Greece.
An atmospheric ambiance is created by the earth-toned colours which blend beautifully with the imposing marble. A breathtaking view of the Parthenon is featured in all rooms, and in the niche suites, this view can be enjoyed directly from the free-standing bathtub.
- To book, check prices or availability for Niche Hotel Athens
14. Shila Athens – a chic and romantic hotel housed in a neoclassical building located in the most central neighbourhood of Kolonaki
This ethereal late 1920s building brings a unique meaning and inspiration to a gorgeous boutique hotel, where a sense of elegance and sensuality, and of the bygone and the contemporary, form together to form a one-of-a-kind hospitality experience.
This neoclassical house features 6 distinctively designed suites, all brimming with simplicity and character. A tranquil rooftop, a lush courtyard, and peaceful lounging nooks offer the ultimate spot of respite in the heart of Athens.
Exquisite artwork of painting and ceramics imbues the guestrooms and social spaces, inspired by both Greek & international artists. This urban oasis is food for the soul, under the blue Athenian sky.
- To book, check prices or availability for Shila Athens
15. Grecotel Pallas Athena – part hotel part gorgeous art gallery, this unique avant-garde boutique hotel is located in downtown Athens
This stunning avant-garde hotel is a place where feeling at home yet experiencing something unique are intertwined. An exquisite example of luxurious downtown living, the hotel is located in the city’s historical centre just a short walk away from the Acropolis and the old city of Plaka.
The lavish collection of family rooms provide an authentic thrill fused with original wall artwork, while the quintessential ambience of a privileged Athenian apartment is echoed in the loft suites.
Guests can experience dining the elegant way, owing to the hotel’s modern and cosy lounge bar, and the beautiful veranda overlooking Kotzia square which serves exclusive fare from Grecotel’s executive chef Sakis Tzanetos.
- To book, check prices or availability for Grecotel Pallas Athena
16. Sea View Hotel – a chic and popular contemporary design hotel located in a seaside, cosmopolitan suburb of Athens
The perfect home away from home, this uniquely urban, chic hotel is set on the Athenian Riviera in the cosmopolitan suburb of Glyfada, and offers a city escape where you can recline poolside, breathe fresh air, and sip a glass of crisp local wine.
Sea View Hotel is a place where urban vibes meet natural splendour, in a 4-star, renovated property which boasts eclectic details and playful, serene public spaces.
Sophisticated yet spontaneous, contemporary yet timeless, here you will drift off under blue skies to the sound of pool waters, and to the charm of blooming flowers and plants. Sea View Hotel truly is coastal comfort at its finest.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sea View Hotel
17. 18 Micon Str. – a cool and creative design hotel repurposed from an abandoned warehouse
This historic workshop-turned-unique hospitality hub is inspired from the buildings past industrial life, and Psiri’s colossal transformation into a burgeoning heart of innovation.
Drawing its name from Mikon, a 5th century BC Athenian painter and sculptor, this iconic hotel’s cement, brick, and wood design houses many stories, and these three materials are the foundations for the individually designed bedrooms.
A genuine and memorable experience is guaranteed, as the hotel’s philosophy of ‘Athenian Hospitality Redesigned’ prioritizes maximum quality and a personalized service.
18 Micon Street is conveniently situated within a 5-minute walk from the Monastriaki Metro Stop, meaning the historic attractions which define Athens can be reached with ease.
- To book, check prices or availability for 18 Micon Str.
18. Athenaeum Grand Hotel – a hip, colourful, artistic and Insta-worthy hotel located in the heart of Athens
With direct access to Athens’s commercial quarters, this brand-new hotel combines an exquisite modern design with impeccable 4-star hospitality, a stone’s throw from the historic centre.
The 90 guestrooms boast modern touches in their décor to compliment the casual luxury aesthetics on offer, to provide a private haven ideal for both relaxation and work. The 2 penthouse suites offer sweeping panoramas over Athens and make for a stunning backdrop to your stay.
A spacious bar and restaurant serves exceptional culinary fare and refreshing drinks, and is carefully decorated down to the very last detail. Further services include a fully equipped gym, a free parking lot, transfer arrangements, and a conference hall for corporate meetings.
- To book, check prices or availability for Athenaeum Grand Hotel
19. Azur Hotel – a sleek, contemporary and stylish boutique hotel in a neoclassical property in the elegant area of Vouliagmeni
Guests are invited to surrender to the charm and serenity of an urban abode, embracing the luxury at one of Athens’s most glowing boutique hotels with a fresh, uniquely crisp feel.
Modern and chic, the bright and airy rooms boast a warm ambiance which offer fabulous aesthetics in a sophisticated environment.
The onsite à la carte restaurant and relaxing pool area offer experiences of refined luxury and impeccable service suffused by charming vibes.
Located in the elegant area of Vouliagmeni, a mere 200m stroll will take you directly to the crystal-clear waters of Okeanida Beach, and the beautiful seaside cafés and bars which attract visitors all year round.
- To book, check prices or availability for Azur Hotel
20. Moon & Stars Boutique Hotel – a striking, charming and intimate hotel located in a 1920’s Art-Deco building
Housed in a 1920s art-deco building, the renovation project behind this architectural masterpiece was in collaboration with the Greek Ministry of Culture, and is permeated by enthusiasm and creativity.
Born out of a true love for hospitality and architecture, the luxuriously appointed suites were designed with an open plan, and large windows allowing the gorgeous sunshine to radiate a positive ambiance.
Whether choosing to stay in the Music Box Suite, the Bird of Happiness Suite, the Ballerina, the Jack in the Box, or the Cloud 9, a refined, chic experience awaits.
The hotel’s supreme location offers endless possibilities to explore the many hidden corners and exciting nightlife of this bustling capital, and the charming hotel staff are always on hand to curate the most optimum itinerary for guests.
- To book, check prices or availability for Moon & Stars Boutique Hotel
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Mykonos
- Cool boutique hotels in Istanbul
- Cool boutique hotels in Ibiza
- Cool boutique hotels in Majorca
- Cool boutique hotels in Rome
- Cool boutique hotels in Vienna
- Cool boutique hotels in Barcelona
- Cool Boutique hotels in Marrakech
- Cool boutique hotels in Berlin
- Cool boutique hotels in Paris
- Cool boutique hotels in Amsterdam
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cairo
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Hvar
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Zagreb
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Antalya
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Casablanca
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Corfu
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cyprus
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Crete
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Zakynthos
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Kos
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Dubrovnik
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.