The dreamy paradise-like gem – the easternmost island in the Lesser Antilles – maintains a blissful blend of wonderful Caribbean culture and modern sophistication.
While justifiably famed for its powdery sand beaches and turquoise waters, Barbados is an island that truly has it all. Charming and friendly locals welcome you to a world of vibrant nightlife, UNESCO World Heritage sites, lush tropical gardens, and an incredible surf scene.
A stay in Barbados will open your eyes to an incredible selection of unique hotels, which range from gorgeous quirky boutiques brimming with character to epic all-inclusive havens flanked by swaying palm trees. Here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Barbados (in no particular order)…
1. O2 Beach Club & Spa All Inclusive by Ocean Hotels – a colorful, Instagrammable and fun hotel to stay in Barbados perfect for partying Millenials and Gen Zs
The five-star O2 Beach Club & Spa transports its guests to a place of total relaxation, evoking a sense of mystery, intrigue, and allure.
A distinct personality suffuses this luxury all-inclusive resort, allowing you to see Barbados through a new lens. Guests can awake each morning in a lavish suite, to a world of boundless luxury amid thrilling aquatic adventures, sun-drenched seclusion, and memorable culinary journeys.
The 5 on-site dining options serve a comprehensive array of experiences, from small grab & go specialities to poolside à la carte cuisine, to fine dining gems with breathtaking south coast views.
The resort boasts an extraordinary drinks list, the most notable of which is MINUTY M, a magnificent blush wine, which is a quintessential ‘Côtes de Provence’ Rosé
- To book, check prices or availability for O2 Beach Club & Spa All Inclusive by Ocean Hotels
2. The Sandpiper – an award-winning five-star boutique hotel set on beautiful Barbados’ West Coast
Spread around compact tropical gardens brimming with palms, bamboo, ferns, and bougainvillea, the Sandpiper’s majestic charm is bolstered by meticulous attention to detail and enthusiasm.
The hotel’s focal points include an inviting beach bar, a decked sunbathing area behind the golden sands, and an open-air restaurant fringed by koi-filled palms.
The 50 rooms are decorated in understated elegance with pretty Caribbean prints, topped with appealing limestone bathrooms and spacious terraces.
The restaurant features live music most nights, and offers one of the island’s most favoured dining experiences. Onsite facilities include a water sports centre, a gym, and two tennis courts.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Sandpiper
3. Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels – All-Inclusive – a tropical boutique hotel with funky, bright and chic decor and a cool cave bar
Bringing Barbados’ unique vibe to life on a dramatic beachfront cliff, village-style accommodations cascade downwards towards the sparkling shoreline, providing one-of-a-kind island views.
The 88 modern guestrooms are steeped in casual comfort, nestled amid lush gardens, and are clad in cream-tiled flooring and warm Caribbean hues.
A unique touch is added through tasteful geometric rugs and circular egg chairs, while iPod docking stations, mini-fridges and high-velocity WiFi connection provide the comforts of home.
The three-tier, lagoon-style pool and swim up Cave Bar boast a vibrant and relaxing atmosphere, and the island’s most natural beauty can be relished within a 200-metre walk.
- To book, check prices or availability for Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels – All-Inclusive
4. Sugar Bay Barbados – All Inclusive – a cool, fun and hip place to stay that offers panoramic views, quirky details and great facilities
A boho-chic beach vibe is brought to life upon entrance to this all-inclusive hotel, through a wall of brightly painted shutters at reception, and a quirky décor sparked with random pops of colour.
A protected lagoon is featured amid lush tropical grounds, while the supreme location in the historic Garrison area on Barbados’ South Coast means you’re never far away from the bustling hub.
You’ll find mute-toned walls and white wicker furnishings across the 138 commodious guestrooms, which each boast a balcony with breathtaking views. The hotel caters to a wide range of travellers with its late-night bar, quality restaurants, and kids’ club activities.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sugar Bay Barbados – All Inclusive
5. Colony Club by Elegant Hotels – a gorgeous and romantic upscale colonial resort where guests can enjoy a stunning beachfront view
Preserving its colonial charm, the six-acre plot and coral stone architecture which houses this elegant hotel is synonymous with understated luxury.
Its classic, white low-rise buildings offer a serene ambiance, dotted by towering palm trees and exquisite tropical gardens.
Nestled in a prime spot on the desirable west coast, Colony Club is home to some of the island’s most impeccable beaches, and offers an attractive blend of colonial opulence and shoreside tranquillity.
Its 96 guestrooms and suites evoke a sense of classiness, and all feature their own private patios peering out over orchid gardens and soaring mahogany trees. A sense of Stylish comfort is aroused through the upscale furnishings and marble bathrooms.
- To book, check prices or availability for Colony Club by Elegant Hotels
6. Treasure Beach by Elegant Hotels – All-Inclusive, Adults Only – a blissful upscale seafront hotel with striking creative decor ideal for an intimate beach vacation
Recently taken over by the Elegant Hotels group, Treasure Beach has been gifted a fresh lease of life, with a vibrant atmosphere and intimate ambiance permeating the property.
Its 35 bedrooms occupy whitewashed, three-storey blocks that form a horseshoe around a shimmering pool backdropped by a towering mahogany tree and an attractive outdoor bar with wicker seating.
All rooms boast separate sitting rooms, and have leather-padded headboards, boldly coloured seascape prints, and wall-mounted TVs framed like a piece of art.
The hotel offers a complimentary arts and crafts tour of the island each week, and maintains a huge emphasis on its award-winning dining delicacies.
- To book, check prices or availability for Treasure Beach by Elegant Hotels – All-Inclusive, Adults Only
7. Cobblers Cove – an ultrachic tropical seaside hotel that blends tranquillity, Insta-worthy style and a magical atmosphere
Housed in a 1940s mansion, the powder-pink walls of Cobblers Cove have attracted jetsetters and holidaymakers for decades.
A peaceful west-coast location surrounds this genteel, colonial-style Barbados classic, where first-rate service, excellent food, and elegant guestrooms take centre stage.
The 40 rooms are arranged in a U-shape around the property, and are all decorated with soothing floral or paisley patterns, while the bathrooms boast lavishly tiled floors and large walk-in showers.
The on-site ‘Camelot’ restaurant invites guests to dine in style on a waterfront terrace, while several indulgent barbeques are offered each week, as well as a weekly ‘Island Night’ buffet of local dishes.
- To book, check prices or availability for Cobblers Cove
8. Sweetfield Manor – a charming tropical-chic inn perfect for couples is the ideal place to experience the ultimate relaxation
Constructed at the beginning of the 20th century for a merchant family, Sweetfield manor maintains its colonial nature through extensive limestone and pinewood embellishments.
Following its extensive restoration into a unique boutique hotel which guides guests to relish the surrounding West Indies landscape, many of the guestrooms boast spacious patios.
A quirky element of this character-filled boutique is its nature-laden grounds, which are graced by a pride of 50 fully grown peacocks. Peaceful walks and the opportunity to enjoy outdoor tropical dining are ever-present features of this stunning hotel, which is located in the vibrant South part of the island with sweeping views of Carlisle bay.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sweetfield Manor
9. Waves Hotel and Spa by Elegant Hotels – All-Inclusive – a unique and elegant hotel that is one of the first all-inclusive wellness boutique hotels in Barbados
Mindfully designed to nourish your spirit and enhance your well-being, Waves Hotel is set on the stunning Western coastline where secluded white sand beaches and swaying palms ooze that ever-so-enchanting island ambiance.
A zen-like atmosphere fills the 70 eco-chic hotel rooms and suites, where you can sit and soak up the awe-inspiring ocean views from your private patio or balcony.
A stay here is complimented by blissful spa treatments, rejuvenating wellness activities, and a refreshing assortment of all-inclusive dining options, leaving you feeling invigorated to explore the island’s bountiful attractions.
The tranquil surroundings, topped with an exceptional personalized service, adds to the sense of serenity synonymous with an authentic Barbadian vacation.
- To book, check prices or availability for Waves Hotel and Spa by Elegant Hotels – All-Inclusive
10. Little Arches Boutique Hotel – Adults Only – a cute, charming and romantic hacienda-themed hotel boutique hotel in Barbados
This upscale boutique property has only 10 rooms, however each one is brimming with sophistication and boasts Earthenware pottery accents to create a unique theme.
These cosy rooms boast all the hallmarks of luxury to complement their large four-poster beds and quirky red drapery.
Designed with Mediterranean-style architecture amid beautiful garden grounds, the many arched doorways and mosaic tile accents add to the charming ambiance, which is set upon entrance by the koi pond and lush tropical plants.
Tucked away adjacent to the glimmering white sands of Enterprise Beach, Little Arches is also home to an award-winning rooftop restaurant, Café Luna.
- To book, check prices or availability for Little Arches Boutique Hotel – Adults Only
11. Little Good Harbour – a unique, charming and intimate family-run hotel set in a quiet fishing village on the West Coast of Barbados
Little Good Harbour is divided into two areas. The inland side hosts most of the accommodations which are housed in cottagey, clapboard units with louvred shutters.
These suites are reached via pathways of bougainvillea and bamboo embellishments, which are dotted with Asian sculptures.
The seaside boasts an old coral-stone building where a casual-chic ambiance prevails through art-filled dining rooms and refined, open-air spaces.
Two stunning swimming pools overseen by Balinese sculptures provide guests with the ultimate relaxation experience beneath the beating sun, and kayaks and snorkelling gear can be hired free of charge to explore the aquatic adventures on your doorstep.
- To book, check prices or availability for Little Good Harbour
12. Fairmont Royal Pavilion Barbados Resort – a chic upscale resort that offers great activities such as snorkelling, diving and much more!
Defining ‘Barbados West Coast Luxury’ like nowhere else, timeless elegance suffuses the classic colonial style of the Fairmont Royal Pavilion, which is tucked away in a sun-drenched cove along the unruffled Alleyne Bay.
The perfect spot to witness magnificent Caribbean sunsets, the idyllic setting attracts R&R chasers from across the globe, while its close proximity to the charming ‘Holetown’ puts you at arm’s reach from bustling nightlife zones.
All of the guestrooms are decorated in contemporary Barbadian style, and provide a sophisticated ambiance backdropped by lush, manicured gardens and mesmerizing ocean views.
The sensational oceanfront rooms boast large glass-fronted balconies and comfy, circular daybeds offering you the peaceful reprieve of a sleek island getaway.
- To book, check prices or availability for Fairmont Royal Pavilion Barbados Resort
13. Beach View Hotel – a cool, chic and contemporary hotel to stay in Barbados perfect for couples looking to relax
Spread across five acres of manicured grounds, Beach View Hotel is a contemporary, family-run aparthotel set close to the stunning waters of Paynes Bay.
Comprising of a selection of stylish rooms, suites, and villas, all accommodations are decorated in neutral tones, enhanced by tropical-themed artwork and colourful soft furnishings.
Modern kitchenettes feature in all rooms, so you can cook up your own meal in the comfort of your own sanctuary, backdropped by epic ocean views.
Further facilities include several pristine swimming pools, a gym and salon, an open-air café, and a tranquil spa experience offering the perfect pampering remedies.
- To book, check prices or availability for Beach View Hotel
14. Sea Breeze Beach House All Inclusive by Ocean Hotels – a chic and charming hotel with whimsical hotel ideal for couples or a family vacation
Sea Breeze Beach House is located by 1000 ft of powdery white sand, and is made up of three-story bright yellow buildings which boast 122 chic and colourful Caribbean-style accommodations.
All are blessed with scenic island vistas at every turn, and are furnished with wicker and wood furniture to add a traditional feel to an otherwise modern, amenity-laden environment.
The atmosphere around the hotel is casual and relaxed, with both adult-only and family-friendly areas on offer. Two beaches, two pools, three restaurants, a kids’ club, and a basketball court help turn that dream vacation into a reality, with a whole host of activity programmes on offer to cater to all travellers.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sea Breeze Beach House All Inclusive by Ocean Hotels
15. Charming Old World Apartment – a cozy and charming guest house that offers a vintage vibe
Contained in a National Trust building, a quaint, colonial vibe prevails at this exclusive apartment, which boasts an epic veranda overlooking graceful gardens girdled by tamarind trees.
Quirky furnishings and décor offer a unique charm, and the antique-style seating areas amid hanging lanterns and thoughtfully chosen plants provide the perfect space to kick back with a book in hand.
Balconies laced by lush greenery offer a peaceful spot of respite on which to take a step back and listen to the harmonic cacophony of tweeting birds and breezing winds.
In room facilities include high-velocity internet and a flat-screen TV with satellite channels, as well as coffee and tea-making equipment.
- To book, check prices or availability for Charming Old World Apartment
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in The Bahamas
- Cool boutique hotels in Bermuda
- Cool boutique hotels in St Lucia
- Cool boutique hotels in Punta Cana
- Cool boutique hotels in Maui
- Cool boutique hotels in Kauai
- Cool boutique hotels in Big Island
- Cool boutique hotels in Honolulu
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Jamaica
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cancun
- Cool and Unusual hotels in US Virgin Islands
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Playa del Carmen
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Isla Mujeres
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Goa
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Puerto Rico
- Cool and Unusual hotels in the British Virgin Islands
- Cool and Unusual hotels in The Cayman Islands
- Cool and Unusual hotels in St Barts
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Curacao
- Cool and Unusual hotels in St Martin
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Martinique
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Guadeloupe
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Grenada
Born and raised in Brazil, Gaby has always had a taste for the intriguing, the off-beat and the far flung. After travelling around most of South America, living in Spain and Italy and then moving to England, her feet have stayed continually twitchy. Studying for a degree in Spanish translation and then learning five more languages only poured more fuel onto her travelling ardor.
Gaby likes nothing better than discovering new destinations and meeting the locals, tasting the cuisine and hearing about the local stories. Her other indulgences include French cinema, boxing, photography, colourful manicures and soaking up the rays on a sun-infused beach. She counts Rio de Janeiro, Rome, Barcelona, Lisbon and Cornwall as her most favourite places in the world.