Birmingham, the City of a Thousand Trades, tempts travellers and cultural enthusiasts with a fascinating treasure trove filled with vibrant, fun and diverse experiences. There’s an abundance of things to do and see, whether you want to explore Great Britain’s humble beginners as an industrial powerhouse, unravel mysteries of the Victorian era or explore modern-day Birmingham’s artistic creativity.
Birmingham has shed off its reputation as an industrial city, cementing its popularity in global travel circuits as a thriving metropolis with diverse cultural and historical heritage. The local hospitality sector is brimming with quality accommodations, from elegant boutique hotels and historical venues to charming inns and upscale establishments.
To help you find the right accommodation, from quirky-chic boutiques to sleek and modern high rises, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Birmingham, UK (in no particular order)…
1. Pentahotel Birmingham – a hip, fun and very Instagrammable hotel perfect for partying Millenials and Gen Zs
The Pentahotel welcomes travellers to enjoy the cosmopolitan adventures and popular attractions of Birmingham City from a centrally located base. Nestled a stone’s throw away from the action-packed City Center, this seven-story establishment is home to 131 elegantly appointed guest rooms and suites.
Guests can explore a range of comfortable and tastefully decorated suites, categorized as the Penta Standard, Penta Plus and Penta Player.
All rooms feature state-of-the-art amenities, luxurious bathrooms, modern appliances and high-end furniture. But the Penta Player offers the most lavish experience with an abundance of creature comforts and ample space.
The hotel’s Pentalounge is a delightful space to eat, play and socialize.
- To book, check prices or availability for Pentahotel Birmingham
2. The Cube Hotel Birmingham – an upscale, retro-chic contemporary hotel which features a Marco Pierre White restaurant and great views
One of Birmingham’s finest boutique hotels, The Cube Hotel offers the ideal setting and amenities for a lavishly luxurious vacation. Situated on the 23rd and 24th levels of the iconic Cube building, the hotel features 52 guest rooms and suites with striking panoramic views of the glitzy cityscape.
The Cube Hotel is popular for its central location, comfortably appointed suites and business-friendly amenities. The suites are designed with close attention to indulgence and convenience, featuring upscale amenities like Cloud 9 beds, personal media hubs and minibars.
Travellers simply have to step outside to find themselves positioned in the heart of all the action and entertainment. The Cube is surrounded by luxury retailers, theatres, art galleries and cultural hubs.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Cube Hotel Birmingham
Saint Paul’s House is nestled in the vibrant and hip Jewelry Quarter in the heart of Saint Paul’s Square, one of the most creative neighbourhoods to connect with the cultural soul of Birmingham.
This upscale establishment is popular amongst leisure and business travellers, given its proximity to the business district, retail outlets and popular attractions.
The hotel offers 34 guest rooms and suites designed to create a lavishly comfortable sleep station equipped with modern amenities. Guests enjoy luxury bedding, spa-like bathrooms, tasteful furniture and complimentary WiFi.
Vacationers adore the in-house dining experience, from brunch-like snacks to elaborate three-course dinner spreads paired with an extensive range of drinks.
- To book, check prices or availability for Saint Pauls House
4. The Grand Hotel Birmingham – a very Insta-worthy, upscale and historic hotel where guests can enjoy a spectacular afternoon tea
The Grand Hotel is an oasis of charm and luxury, housed in an 1879 landmark building with a vibrant history of serving Birmingham’s hospitality sector with unparalleled quality standards. This luxury accommodation has a prolific clientele of royalty, world-famous celebrities, European jet-setters and corporate travellers.
Business travellers prefer The Grand Hotel for its stellar business-friendly amenities, including designated event spaces, meeting rooms and ample opportunities to network with industry bigwigs. Vacationers can explore an extensive range of suites, ranging from grand double rooms and junior suites to grand suites and a lavishly furnished two-bedroom penthouse apartment.
The onsite bar, Madeleine, is one of the best spots in Birmingham to enjoy a quintessentially English tea spread with a vibrant Parisian twist.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Grand Hotel Birmingham
5. Selina Birmingham – a vibrant, trendy and fun boutique-style accommodation located perfectly for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
Selina’s unique concept of shared living and building connections attracts travellers with the promise of affordable quality and the vibrant location of Birmingham’s Jewelry Quarter.
This cool hotel is surrounded by a free-spirited ambience of laidback speakeasies, art galleries, hip restaurants and creative venues.
The building housing Selina is a historical landmark featuring beautifully preserved ancient relics, experimental artwork and awe-inspiring murals. Vacationers can explore a range of shared and private accommodations, depending on their budget, housing needs and stay duration.
The in-house Latino Club is an absolute riot and the ultimate spot to start your nocturnal club-hopping adventures. Selina is also home to the rip-roaring Festival Garden, a fabulous venue for outdoor festivities and flavorful cocktails.
- To book, check prices or availability for Selina Birmingham
6. Aloft Birmingham Eastside – a trendy boutique loft-inspired hotel with stylish and unique décor near the Bullring
An unusual loft-themed hotel located in the hip Eastside District, Aloft is a striking specimen of modern architecture with impressive sustainability-focused interiors.
This upscale hotel is ideal for travellers who want to stay in the heart of the Birmingham City Center, surrounded by the finest restaurants, luxury fashion labels and entertainment venues.
This centrally located hotel is designed for cosmopolitan travellers, digital nomads and businesspeople who cannot compromise on accessibility and connectivity. The hotel connects with the Eastside Rooms, offering business travellers access to 23 black canvas rooms for conferences, meetings and events.
The in-house Re:Fuel offers a delightful menu of grab-and-go snacks, while Tempo features an ambient setting for fine dining.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aloft Birmingham Eastside
7. Hotel du Vin Birmingham – an elegant, modern and classic boutique hotel located in a historic Victorian building in the city’s Jewellery Quarter
Hotel du Vin is one of the most beautiful historic hotels in Birmingham, erected in an 1884 Victorian-era landmark that formerly housed an eye hospital.
The hotel management has done a fine job at preserving the cosmetic charm and structural integrity of this glorious Victorian-era landmark, enhancing the interiors with quality-driven upgrades.
Travellers who want to revel in England’s old-world charm will find this establishment a timeless venue for antiquated pleasures. The hotel features 66 beautifully decorated guest rooms and suites with opulent interiors and luxuriously indulgent sleep stations.
The in-house Bistro is an iconic Birmingham dining spot to feast on classic French cuisine prepared with a British flair and an extensive wine collection featuring more than 40 rare varieties.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel du Vin Birmingham
8. Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham – a newly renovated, contemporary and trendy hotel with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the city
The Radisson Blu Hotel is a glamorous addition to Birmingham’s dazzling cityscape, serving luxury-minded travellers with an exclusive taste of British opulence. This fine establishment boasts an iconic central location, positioning vacationers in the heart of Birmingham City, within proximity to the business district, cultural venues, and retail centres.
The hotel features 211 tastefully appointed guest rooms and suites, designed with modern furniture, contemporary amenities, smart appliances and expansive floor-to-ceiling windows to admire sweeping panoramic views.
Guests have access to a state-of-the-art fitness centre, the perfect spot to work out while enjoying the skyline.
The in-house restaurant, Collage, is one of Birmingham’s best dining spots for well-done steaks, flavorful cocktails and a classic British cheese board.
- To book, check prices or availability for Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
9. Edgbaston Park Hotel Birmingham – a trendy, fancy and new hotel where pets are also welcomed to enjoy a city getaway
The verdant Edgbaston Park Hotel attracts luxury travellers with its beautiful interiors, fine dining splendours and peaceful sleep stations.
Situated two miles from the Birmingham City Center, this upscale boutique hotel allows vacationers to explore an extensive range of standard, mid-ranged and luxury accommodations.
The hotel rooms and suites feature en-suite bathrooms, indulgent bedding, smart appliances, and complimentary WiFi. The hotel is owned by the University of Birmingham, and the interiors exude an old-world charm with their Victorian-era themes.
This Grade II-listed establishment is known for its impressive housekeeping team and keen attention to small details.
The onsite dining spot, the 1900 Restaurant & Bar, guarantees a sumptuous feast of classic flavours prepared with a modern flair.
- To book, check prices or availability for Edgbaston Park Hotel Birmingham
10. AC Hotel by Marriott Birmingham – an elegant, chic and European design hotel where guests can experience international cuisine
The AC Hotel combines a classic European design with modern amenities and comfort-focused interiors with a delightful canal-side location in the heart of Birmingham City.
Travellers who wish to enjoy the ease of access to popular attractions, dining venues and entertainment spots will find the AC Hotel ideally located.
The hotel offers an extensive variety of mid-ranged and luxury accommodations, including elegantly decorated bedrooms and sprawling suites.
The rooms and suites are furnished with luxury furniture, plush bedding, smart appliances, and fine linens. Guests enjoy access to a 24-hour fitness centre, a Black Sheep Coffee shop, and the AC Lounge.
- To book, check prices or availability for AC Hotel by Marriott Birmingham
11. Campanile Hotel – Birmingham – a quirky-chic, quiet and cool hotel ideal for those looking for a relaxing stay
Vacationers planning to divide their time between Birmingham City and the West Midlands will find the Campanile Hotel the ideal location and setting for a luxuriously comfortable stay.
Tucked half a mile from downtown, the Campanile offers easy access to popular attractions, including castles, museums and high-end retailers.
The Campanile Hotel is home to 111 sophisticatedly appointed guest rooms and suites, 5 meeting rooms, and an in-house restaurant and bar.
The rooms have been recently renovated, giving the hotel and its public spaces a fabulous makeover with luxury upgrades like fine Simmons bedding, smart appliances, spa-like bathroom amenities and eco-friendly accents.
- To book, check prices or availability for Campanile Hotel – Birmingham
12. Clayton Hotel Birmingham – a 5-star, modern and family-friendly hotel within walking distance of local attractions
Tucked in the heart of the Birmingham City Center, the Clayton Hotel is situated in a shopaholic’s paradise, just minutes away from the Bullring Shopping Center and Grand Central.
This five-star hotel welcomes business and leisure travelers with its home-like comforts, modern amenities and diligent attention to detail.
The hotel is home to 218 luxuriously appointed guest rooms and suites, equipped with smart appliances, comfortable bedding and fine linens. The Clayton offers an extensive range of accommodations, including standard rooms, luxury suites with hot tubs or Jacuzzi and penthouse suites with ample privacy.
The in-house Grill Bar & Restaurant offers a lively ambience to enjoy an extensive menu of steaks, seafood and vegetarian specialities.
- To book, check prices or availability for Clayton Hotel Birmingham
13. Aparthotel Adagio Birmingham City Center – a stylish, modern and trendy accommodation well-equipped for a memorable city break
Located 5-minutes away from the Bullring Shopping Center, the Aparthotel Adagio is a high-end address to explore Birmingham with style and opulence.
The aparthotel is a collection of 108 well-appointed and beautifully furnished apartments, featuring state-of-the-art kitchens, luxurious living spaces and ample privacy.
Vacationers can explore an array of apartments to address their housing and square footage needs. The interiors radiate elegance with their contemporary décor, featuring luxury furniture and modern appliances, including flat-screen TVs, air conditioning, refrigerators, etc. Large groups and families find the accommodations ideally suited to their needs.
The building provides a well-equipped fitness centre, self-service laundry area and dry cleaning services.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aparthotel Adagio Birmingham City Center
14. Staying Cool At Rotunda – a hip and quirky-chic accommodation perfect for a unique couple’s romantic city break getaway
Vacationers and families eager to carve out privacy flock to Rotunda to explore Birmingham from the comforts of a home-away-from-home.
Staying Cool at Rotunda is an impressive architectural project featuring tastefully appointed, fully-furnished apartments with sweeping views of Birmingham City.
The apartments have a contemporary design with striking cosmetic elements, such as open floor plans, state-of-the-art kitchens, and floor-to-ceiling windows to enjoy the skyline. The Penthouses are a feast of beautiful interiors and bespoke designer furniture. Guests have everything they need to enjoy home-like comforts, prepare their own meals and entertain their guests in an opulent setting.
Staying Cool provides 24-hour reception and concierge services during the day and evening.
- To book, check prices or availability for Staying Cool at Rotunda
15. Bloc Hotel Birmingham – a quirky, sleek and cool accommodation located in the heart of the Jewlery Quarter
The Bloc Hotel attracts business travellers, families, honeymooners and large groups with its extensive selection of comfortably appointed guest rooms and suites.
This boutique hotel sets itself apart from Birmingham’s multitude of accommodations with an exclusive taste of comfort and luxury.
For instance, the guest rooms and suites have been designed in collaboration with the Scandinavian Seep Institute to create indulgently comfortable sleep stations with ideal humidity and temperature levels.
The interiors are a feast of extravagance, featuring Italian-tiled wet rooms, spa-like bathrooms, and a climate control system to maintain a peaceful ambience.
Nested in the heart of the hip Jewlery Quarter, the Bloc Hotel offers easy access to the shopping districts, business centres and entertainment venues.
- To book, check prices or availability for Bloc Hotel Birmingham
We also have other posts on…
- Cool Boutique hotels in Bristol
- Cool and unusual hotels in Manchester
- Cool and unusual hotels in Leeds
- Cool and unusual hotels in Glasgow
- Cool and unusual hotels in Edinburgh
- Cool and unusual hotels in Dublin
- Cool and unusual hotels in Belfast
- Cool and unusual hotels in Brighton
- Cool and unusual hotels in London
- Cool and Unusual hotels in York
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Oxford
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bath
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Liverpool
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cardiff
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Blackpool
Beth was born under a wandering star, with drama in her veins and ink in her pen. After stints studying theatre in Dublin and Utrecht she used her creative streak to see as much of the world as she could on as little money. She toured Italian Schools with a children’s theatre troop, lived as an au-pair in both Rome and Washington DC, explored the British countryside, worked her way through much of Europe, Salsa danced in Cuba and road tripped down America’s west coast where she discovered her spiritual home; Portland, Oregon. In between adventures she resides peacefully with her family, cats and ukulele.