The upbeat, intriguing, and fun university city and Ohio’s capital is Midwest’s hippest city. In fact, it’s been named (by Yelp analysis) to be the nation’s ‘hottest hipster market.’
This is probably down to its youthful and creative vibe, numerous trendy coffee shops, lively bars, eclectic mix of diverse neighborhoods (there’s even a German Village!), the awesome list of annual events and festivals, and some of Ohio’s best arts and culinary experiences, and diverse neighborhoods.
Want to know where the cool kids hang out and then sleep too? From sleek boutique hotels to fun Instagram-friendly high-rises, here are our favorite cool and unusual hotels in Columbus, Ohio (in no particular order)…
1. Graduate Columbus – a hip, fun, and stylish hotel perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
With warm, tailored but very cool spaces, you’ll feel right at home here. The Studio Suite at the Graduate Columbus is excellent for those who need a little more space.
It has a master bedroom and a separate living area. Decked out with hip, themed Ohio-inspired interiors, you’ll love all the little details in the room.
Grab some food at either Shake Shack or Pointdexter – both situated at the hotel – or head to one of the restaurants nearby. The unique hotel has complimentary bike rentals to help you explore Ohio, and a gym with a Peloton bike.
The Buckeye’s bold colors surround you in the lobby and pieces of Ohio’s history adorn every room at this Columbus Hotel. The hotel is near the Italian Village, BalletMet, The North Market and Wagner – Hagans Auto Museum.
- To book, check prices or availability for Graduate Columbus
2. Moxy Columbus Short North – one of the coolest and funkiest places to stay in Columbus perfect for Instagrammers
Located in Columbus (Italian Village), Moxy Columbus Short North is within a 15-minute walk of Greater Columbus Convention Center and Nationwide Arena.
Stay in one of the cool and unique 116 guestrooms featuring plasma televisions. Your trendy room comes with a pillowtop bed and complimentary wireless Internet access keeps you connected. Bathrooms have showers and designer toiletries.
At Moxy Columbus Short North, you check in at the bar and immediately receive a token for a free drink. There is a state-of-the-art gym, lightning-fast wifi and a sixth-floor terrace to seal the deal. Additional features include an arcade/game room and gift shops/newsstands.
- To book, check prices or availability for Moxy Columbus Short North
3. Sonesta Columbus Downtown – a trendy, chic and modern design hotel set in the vibrant Arena District
Make yourself at home in one of the cool 421 air-conditioned rooms featuring refrigerators and flat-screen televisions. Complimentary wireless Internet access keeps you connected, and cable programming is available for your entertainment.
With a stay at Sonesta Columbus, you’ll be centrally located in Columbus, just a 5-minute walk from Nationwide Arena and 6 minutes by foot from Greater Columbus Convention Center.
Featured amenities include a 24-hour business center, express check-out, and complimentary newspapers in the lobby.
Planning an event in Columbus? This chic and stylish hotel has facilities measuring 13000 square feet (1208 square meters), including a conference center.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sonesta Columbus Downtown
4. Le Meridien Columbus, The Joseph – a unique and contemporary luxury hotel set in the trendy Short North area
Le Meridien Columbus, The Joseph is a 4-star boutique hotel in the Short North Arts District near the North Market and the Wexner Center. You can embrace your artistic side at one of the city’s finest boutique hotels.
This trendy Columbus hotel is recommended for weddings and anniversary celebrations. It is one of the best luxury hotels in the Columbus area. You’ll be served delectable farm-to-table fare and tasty cocktails.
You even have access to pampering in the spa suites while you’re staying in exquisitely handcrafted rooms. You can check out the farm-to-table cuisine at the Guild House, or be invited to visit the masterfully curated Pizzuti Collection at the Columbus Museum of Art, free of charge.
Not to mention, you’re in a lovely neighborhood near High Street. Definitely one of the best boutique hotels in Columbus.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Meridien Columbus, The Joseph
5. Hotel LeVeque, Autograph Collection – a gorgeous upscale boutique hotel set in an art deco building in heart of Downtown Columbus
Situated in the heart of downtown Columbus, the hotel is a 4-star luxury boutique-style hotel and has a seamless blend of historic and elegant French design. Rooms come with sophisticated décor, and some even boast gorgeous river views.
For a more spacious room, stay at the One Bedroom Larger Suite with its separate living room area and oversized shower. Fancy a little star gazing?
A telescope in every suite will surely catch your eye. Grab a drink at Keep Liquor Bar while enjoying some small bites, or head for a quick workout at the fitness center.
You’ll even experience fine dining in the on-site Modern French Brasserie that serves themed cuisine and mouth-watering cocktails. The chic boutique hotel is a short distance away from Capital Square, Ohio Theatre, the Palace Theatre, and Scioto Mile.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel LeVeque, Autograph Collection
6. The Urban – a modern, lively and upbeat hotel perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
Stay in one of 20 fun and funky guestrooms featuring flat-screened televisions. Complimentary wireless Internet access keeps you connected, and digital programming is available for your entertainment.
Bathrooms have showers and slippers. Conveniences include coffee/tea makers and desk chairs, and housekeeping is provided daily.
Take advantage of recreation opportunities such as a spa tub, or other amenities including complimentary wireless Internet access and a communal living room. With a stay at The Urban in Columbus (University District), you’ll be a 3-minute walk from Ohio State University and 11 minutes by foot from Ohio Stadium.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Urban Columbus
7. AC Hotel by Marriott Columbus Downtown – a sleek, sexy, and stylish hotel with a trendy rooftop bar located in downtown
The AC Hotel by Marriott Columbus with its modern and sleek European-influenced design and service will make you feel like you’re far from Columbus. Tasty tapas and cocktails await you on the rooftop bar Vaso, while Spanish-style breakfast greets you every morning at AC Kitchen.
Spacious rooms with floor-to-ceiling windows let you admire the city as you plan your night out in Bridge Park. Shops, restaurants, and the Exchange event center are only steps away, offering you the best of the city, no passport required.
Easily one of the coolest and most unique places to stay in Columbus, Ohio.
- To book, check prices or availability for AC Hotel by Marriott Columbus Downtown
8. Hilton Columbus Downtown – a chic and unique travel sustainable place to stay in cool Columbus that is linked to the Greater Columbus Convention Center via a sky bridge
A hip hotel in the Short North Arts Neighborhood, the Hilton Columbus Downtown defines luxury and style for the 21st century, with bold artwork from local artists, custom lighting and the creative juxtaposition of plush interior spaces with sweeping views of the city.
The rooms are beautifully designed and functional, and furnished with the famous Hilton Serenity Bed and Suite Dreams mattress, down comforter, 42-inch flat-screen television, workstation with ergonomic chair and mini-fridge.
Dining options include the spectacular FYR restaurant by Executive Chef Sebastian La Rocca, with a wood-fired grill, a midwestern menu at Spark with cocktails and local brews, and the Stories on High rooftop bar all the way up on the 28th floor of the new 402 Tower.
Other on-site amenities include Provisions on High with grab n’go meals and drinks, a fitness center and indoor swimming pool. There are all kinds of trendy dining and entertainment venues within walking distance, and the flagship Ohio State University is less than two miles away.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hilton Columbus Downtown
9. The Westin Great Southern Columbus – a conventional and elegant 19th-century hotel housed in a French Renaissance-style building located near the German Village
You’ll feel like you’ve traveled back in time to a more gracious age in this historic building, with its red brick facade and elegant white and gold lobby. The comforts and conveniences however are entirely 21st century, with sleek and spacious rooms and suites full of light and all modern amenities.
The accommodations have been newly renovated and include a mini-refrigerator, HDTV, and Westin Heavenly Beds. The neutral decor is highlighted with intricate fabric details and vibrant artwork, and there are separate seating and work areas so your visit can be as productive and relaxing as you need it to be.
You won’t want to miss the dining experience at the new Bar Cicchetti by celebrity chef and TV personality Fabio Viviani serving his favorite classic comfort foods. There’s also a fitness center, and you should check out the beautiful and historic ballroom which is still very much in demand as a wedding venue.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Westin Great Southern Columbus
10. Hilton Columbus at Easton – an ultra-chic and prestigious hotel that features classic decor and custom-designed beds, ideal for visitors who are looking for the extra touch of variety
Whether work or play brings you to the area, the Hilton Columbus at Easton is the perfect complement to the upscale shopping, dining and entertainment venues at Easton Town Center, and conveniently close to the university as well as local corporate offices.
The picture-perfect red brick exterior and cobbled front yard are matched with stylish interiors where lighting, textures and artwork all create an effect that is the epitome of a new luxury aesthetic. The rooms are likewise furnished in restful neutrals with subtle lighting and artwork, and accented with plush drapes and seating.
There are plenty of dining options nearby, and at the hotel, the Herb N’ Kitchen serves up fresh and flavorful food, much of it locally sourced, while the Easton Social has a gastropub menu and drinks. There’s a well-equipped fitness center and a terrace with comfortable seating in a tranquil setting.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hilton Columbus at Easton
11. Aloft Columbus – a cool, upbeat and creative Instagrammable hotel with a chic, modern vibe
Located 10 miles north of downtown Columbus, just off I-270. A pet-friendly hotel for the family. A very hip, stylish hotel with a chic and creative vibe located 1 mile from both Sharon Woods Metro Park and Inniswood Metro Gardens and 11 miles from Columbus downtown.
As easy as it is to brew coffee in your stylish suite and spend every day in the city, take advantage of Aloft’s northern location, 15 minutes from downtown Columbus, to see another side of the city. A creative and funky place to stay in Columbus with a youthful vibe!
- To book, check prices or availability for Aloft Columbus
12. Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel – a modern high-rise boutique-style upscale hotel with a cool rooftop pool
Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel is a family-friendly high-rise 4-star hotel near the Columbus Museum of Art and COSI Columbus. Modern adventurers will love being at the center of all the fun, which is why this high-rise is an excellent choice for great hotels in downtown Columbus.
Besides its eclectic décor and artwork, you’ll have access to deluxe amenities like a rooftop pool, a bar and lounge, and comfortable rooms. Plus, you’ll be near many downtown hotspots like the theater, the historic village, and trendy eateries.
- To book, check prices or availability for Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel
13. 50 Lincoln Short North Bed & Breakfast – quirky and unique accommodation with historically inspired decor
Situated in the trendy Short North neighborhood is the 50 Lincoln Short North Bed & Breakfast in Columbus. It’s a newly renovated quaint and quirky Italianate-style B&B located in one of the most attractive parts of town and starts at $148 per night.
Make yourself at home in one of the 7 individually decorated guestrooms. Rooms have private patios. Prepare your meals in the shared/communal kitchen.
Complimentary wireless Internet access keeps you connected, and cable programming is available for your entertainment. Bathrooms have shower/tub combinations and hair dryers.
- To book, check prices or availability for 50 Lincoln Short North Bed & Breakfast
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Philidelphia
- Cool boutique hotels in Chicago
- Cool boutique hotels in Kansas City
- Cool boutique hotels in Cleveland
- Cool boutique hotels in Minneapolis
- Cool boutique hotels in Pittsburgh
- Cool boutique hotels in New York
- Cool boutique hotels in Louisville
- Cool boutique hotels in Boston
- Cool boutique hotels in Washington DC
- Cool boutique hotels in St.Louis
- Cool boutique hotels in Omaha
- Cool boutique hotels in Baltimore
- Cool boutique hotels in Cincinnati
- Cool boutique hotels in Indianapolis
- Cool boutique hotels in Buffalo
- Cool boutique hotels in Richmond VA
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lexington
- Cool boutique hotels in Lincoln
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Tybee Island
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Ann Arbor
Gary is an award winning full time professional photographer and videographer with too much wanderlust for his own good. Fuelled by strong coffee, you’ll often find him wandering well off hiking trails in search of interesting photographic subjects or scenery to video. Self taught and with the use of pioneering digital techniques, he quickly built up a strong client base and has worked with many prestigious organisations, including GQ, BBC, London Fashion Week, Grazia, Sky, Metro, Vogue Italia. He specialising in evocative images of people, places and cinematic videography and his goal is to make the viewer look twice and engage. As well as a penchant for good design, the ketogenic diet and Hungarian Vizslas, he also has a huge affection for Chicago, Bucharest, Scandinavia, Croatia and absolutely everywhere in Italy. Find him on Instagram @garynansome, Twitter @garynansome and his website https://garynunn.co.uk/