From a small Midwest community to a major hub between east and west, to a trendy tourist destination with a love of Jazz, art and BBQs – but yet still celebrates its roots – Kansas City it’s an underrated city that has a lot of soul. It’s home to a great number of museums, large collections of art, easy-on-the-eye parks and gardens, craft cocktail bars, speakeasies, plenty of fountains, some excellent restaurants and breweries, and a few quirky neighborhoods and creative locals. It’s even been ranked as hipster city (Jetsetter.com). Here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Kansas City, Missouri (in no particular order)…
1. The Fontaine – a refined boutique hotel with a unique artistic design
The elegant décor in soothing tones creates an air of refinement at The Fontaine. Renaissance style artwork, hand-blown chandeliers and polished marble floors complete the very stylish picture. The rooms are welcoming in warm woods and gentle charcoals, creating a restful ambience. And a selection of event spaces cater for all occasions.
The rooftop bar and lounge serve fresh, seasonal food all year round – where you can sip cocktails by the pool in warmer weather or get cosy inside magical igloos during the winter months. Located in the heart of Country Club Plaza, a premier retail center in the heart of Kansas City, staying at The Fontaine puts you in a prime position to explore the city.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Fontaine Kansas City
2. Hotel Phillips Kansas City, Curio Collection By Hilton – an Art Deco themed upscale hotel housed in a historic landmark building
Nestled between the Power & Light District and Kansas City Convention Center, this 1930’s hotel once towered above every other building in Kansas City. The grand lobby at Hotel Phillips Kansas City retains all of its historic charm, and throughout the shared spaces you’ll find chic, modern design blended with a speak-easy vibe.
Naturally lit bedrooms are beautifully decorated in crisp whites and pale greys, accented with sparkles of gold. Three smart boardrooms and an open mezzanine are available for meetings and events. In keeping with the overall style, the restaurant serves a delicious range of freshly prepared Italian food, fine wines and craft cocktails.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Phillips Kansas City
3. Crossroads Hotel – a cool and trendy rustic-chic hotel located in the Crossroads District
Located in the centre of the Kansas City art district, Crossroads Hotel not only showcases local artists, but also hosts an artist-in-residence program as well as offering an uber-hip spot for creative events alongside stylish accommodation. Expect to find beautifully exposed brickwork, stunning light features and luxury, chilled out bedrooms.
The creativity at the Crossroads Hotel Kansas City also extends to the food served – grab a woodfired pizza in the lobby or enjoy a modern take on traditional Italian classics in the hotel restaurant.
- To book, check prices or availability for Crossroads Hotel Kansas City
4. Loews Kansas City – a luxury hotel with an upscale retro chic vibe
Being part of the vibrant Kansas downtown and with a new connector bridge that takes you directly to Kansa City Convention Center, The Loews is ideally situated for business or pleasure. Once inside, beautiful views of the city can be enjoyed throughout the hotel, and floor-to-ceiling windows, dark woods and bright whites make for a simple yet chic winding-down environment. Further relaxation is on-hand at the luxury spa, indoor saltwater pool and fitness center.
Bar Stilwell offers local, classic dishes elevated to restaurant fare alongside custom cocktails and craft beers, while outdoors, the trendy Horsefeather Social is ideal for special events and celebrations.
- To book, check prices or availability for Loews Kansas City
5. The Truitt – a unique boutique hotel in a Colonial Revival-style mansion
This impressive red-brick, colonial mansion now offers a warm welcome to Kansas City visitors. The Truitt is a boutique hotel that has lost none of its historic charm while boasting modern style and comfort.
Each of the seven bedrooms has a unique feel, but they all serve effortless fashion and luxury. If you’re looking for somewhere trendy, personal and just a short walk to the Country Club Plaza, this is the spot for you.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Truitt Kansas City
6. 21c Museum Hotel Kansas City – a hip and creative boutique-style hotel in a historic location
Ideally situated between the Power & Light district and River Market, this exceptionally rated museum hotel has strong links with the Kansas City art scene, exhibiting 21st-century art and providing a spot for unique events, big and small. Uncluttered, light spaces are the perfect canvas for displaying a range of local, contemporary artwork.
Airy bedrooms at the 21c Museum Hotel Kansas City feature custom-designed furniture and boast exceptional views of the city. The atmospheric Savoy restaurant historically has had an illustrious clientele, but still keeps its ties with local producers, using seasonal ingredients in its internationally-inspired dishes.
- To book, check prices or availability for 21c Museum Hotel Kansas City
7. Hotel Kansas City, in The Unbound Collection by Hyatt – an upscale hotel housed in an iconic Kansas City Club building
Close to the historic Union Station, the Gothic Revival-style exterior sets high expectations for the Hotel Kansas City, and its interior does not disappoint. The lobby and bar are framed with impressive arches along its super-high ceilings, creating a grand, spacious place to unwind in.
The hotel boasts three stunning ballrooms that would elevate any event: two of which feature a wall of colourful, stained glass and the third is flooded natural light. In contrast, the classic, mostly white bedrooms give that freshly-laundered feel for a good night’s rest. Serving handcrafted cocktails and seasonally-rotated, local dishes, the hotel’s restaurant – The Town Co. – is hugely popular with visitors.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Kansas City
8. The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection – a luxury boutique hotel in Kansas City with European style elegance and charm
The Raphael is an award-winning, boutique abode in the heart of downtown Kansas. The lobby and lounge impress with wood panelling, chandeliers and marble floors, and the sunny bedrooms blend comfort and luxury.
At the Chaz Restaurant and Lounge, you can tap your toes to some live jazz while enjoying local and international cuisine made from regional, seasonal produce. Other amenities include a 24-hr fitness center, meetings and event services.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Raphael Hotel
9. Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection – a chic and stylish upscale hotel with boutique-style rooms
With its high ceilings, historic architecture and luxurious style, this downtown hotel exudes sophistication. In the contemporary bedrooms, subdued shades and dark wood contrast with crisp, clean whites to create a stylish space to relax in.
The lobby bar at Ambassador Hotel Kansas City is reminiscent of 1920’s glamour with all modern comforts. For on-site eateries, you can choose from the plush American Reserve or Lonnie’s Reno Club, a popular jazz club with a top-quality pre-fixe menu. A fitness center, business center, and three meeting spaces including an impressive ballroom drenched in natural light complete the amenities package.
- To book, check prices or availability for Ambassador Hotel Kansas City
10. Hotel Indigo, Kansas City Downtown, an IHG Hotel – an informal hotel with a hip vibe housed in a 1930s building in among downtown eateries
A short walk from the Power and Light District, this unique, boutique hotel boasts a trendy interior which isn’t short on luxury or character. Look out for the lovely touches at the Hotel Indigo Kansas City Downtown which echo the olde-worlde rail ticket office and hub of 1930’s life that this beautifully renovated building once was.
Now fully modernised and reinvented as a chic hotel complete with restaurant, fitness center and meeting rooms. The links with the local culture continue into the kitchen as it serves American classics made with seasonal and local ingredients.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Indigo Kansas City Downtown
11. Aloft North Kansas City – a cool and funky hotel perfect for Millennials and Gen Z’s
Just off I-35, you’ll find The Aloft North Hotel close to downtown Kansas City, River Market, Power & Light District. Sleek design and bold, clean lines create a modern feel in the shared spaces and lobby of this hotel. The funky, modern feel continues to the bedrooms which are light and unfussy with small pops of colour for fun.
An outdoor patio and firepit provide a great spot to watch the sunset or unwind after a busy day exploring the city, or you could take a dip in the heated pool. Meeting rooms and event spaces are available for occasions and events.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aloft North Kansas City
12. Hotel Indigo Kansas City, The Crossroads, an IHG Hotel – a trendy hotel housed in a restored paint brush factor
The Crossroads, Hotel Indigo champions the local Kansas art scene over its three stories. Simple wooden floors against whitewashed and exposed brick walls provide a cool backdrop for some stunning art pieces, big and small. The trendy yet luxurious bedrooms featuring specially commissioned art give guests the perfect place to relax or get inspired.
The bar and restaurant serve elevated Midwest fare, local beer and craft cocktails, named after Jim Leedy who opened the first gallery in Crossroads art district. Other amenities include meeting rooms, conference facilities and fitness center.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Indigo Kansas City
13. Main Street Inn – a cute and quirky Colonial-style B&B in home built in 1885
Just a short journey from Kansas International Airport and downtown, this inn is conveniently placed for exploring Kansas. The Main Street Inn, Parkville is a lovely, historic house complete with white wood railings and a large porch, sitting on manicured, emerald-green lawn.
Original features such as the exposed brickwork give the house its vintage charm, while modern comforts and attention to detail ensure that visitors are well taken care of. The three unique bedrooms have been designed with luxury and comfort in mind, so you’ll be refreshed and ready for a delicious homemade, three-course breakfast come morning.
- To book, check prices or availability for Main Street Inn Kansas City
14. American Inn North Kansas City – a Kansas City budget option
American Inn is family-owned hotel minutes north of downtown Kansas City. A rustic style lobby invites guests to get cosy in its big leather chairs next to a central fireplace.
And in the warmer months, you can enjoy outdoor seating and a dip in the pool. Entertainment-wise, the down-to-earth Spirits Bar and Restaurant serves classic American dishes from the grill, and the presidential hall hosts 150 people for special events and celebrations.
- To book, check prices or availability for American Inn North Kansas City
15. No Vacancy Apartment – modern, airy self catering accommodation
Located in Kansas City, close to the Sprint Center and Kansas City Convention Center, the No Vacancy Apartments are a convenient choice for people visiting Kansas. Pine floors, ceiling beams, white linen and a flood of natural light give these apartments an ultra-modern feel.
The apartments are fully equipped with a dining area, seating area, TV, washing machine, fridge and private bathroom. Some units even have access to a cute, grassy outdoor area to soak up the sunshine in the warmer months.
- To book, check prices or availability for No Vacancy Apartment