Famed for its delicious wine, its culinary scene, and its jaw-dropping Beaux-Arts and Baroque churches, Porto is the perfect city to get lost in. Add to this an exceptional year-round climate and extremely welcoming locals, it is with good reason that the city has become a trendy hot spot for modern jet setters.
Stretching along the threadlike curves of the Douro River, Porto’s hilly cobblestone lanes, maze-like neighbourhoods, and staggering viewpoints charm visitors from near and far. Its picturesque Old Town, containing six majestic bridges, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Porto also plays host to an eclectic hotel scene, with accommodations ranging from graceful boutiques to historic masterpieces. Here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Porto, Portugal (in no particular order)…
1. Torel Avantgarde – a 5-star, award winning and upscale boutique hotel featuring Instagrammable décor, perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Situated high on a hill with views over the rooftops to the river, this eclectic 47-room hotel has a focus on the arts, with an emphasis on bold colours.
Its radiant design embraces a deep connection between style and warmth, resulting in a surprisingly calming effect. Each room is named after a painter, writer, designer, or musician, and decorated to reflect the artist’s personality.
From the handwoven rugs to the hand-laid wooden floors, every detail was designed and made in Portugal. The sophisticated and subdued on-site restaurant, with its enthralling river views, beautifully contrasts the exuberant bar which is covered with artificial flowers.
- To book, check prices or availability for Torel Avantgarde
2. Torel Palace Porto – a quirky, 5-star boutique hotel housed in one of the most beautiful historic palaces
Standing in the heart of the city since 1861, as one of Porto’s finest examples of romantic architecture, Torel Palace is crowned by an impressively ornate skylight.
Throughout the palace, the interiors are covered in rich stucco work and period elements and the book-filled library in the lobby offers a theme which revolves around literature.
The guestrooms blend a sense of quirky, luxurious, and fun, and invite in the natural light through oversized windows. The ground floor restaurant Blind is an eclectic, character-fused space in which a menu is provided to guests only after each course has been served.
- To book, check prices or availability for Torel Palace Porto
3. Se Catedral Hotel Porto, Tapestry Collection By Hilton – a trendy, cool and Insta-worthy perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
Overlooking Porto City Centre from close to the Douro River, Se Cathedral Hotel is a stylish, cool, and incredibly Instagrammable hotel offering 77 eloquently designed guestrooms.
The trendy interiors embellish a canvas of monochrome hues with vivid patterns and a bright design, setting a tone of eccentricity in the charming communal spaces.
The hotel boasts an eclectic restaurant and bar serving expertly curated dishes and crafted beverages, however a step outside the property puts you within a wide selection of epic urban eateries.
The guestrooms slightly deviate from the quirky feel downstairs, inviting you into a refined luxury, graced by astonishing city views.
- To book, check prices or availability for Se Catedral Hotel Porto, Tapestry Collection By Hilton
4. Pur Oporto Boutique Hotel by actahotels – a chic, unique and new hotel located in the heart of the city
Pur Oporto idyllically conveys the history and charm of the city and embraces its exclusive surroundings. The hotel is ornamented with beautiful Portuguese tiles and unique décor created by local manufacturers and artists, offering a brand-new experience in the heart of the city.
Sleek, wooden interiors radiate a boutique ambiance, beautified in many areas by lush foliage hanging from ceilings.
The restaurant is a graceful space festooned in bright lanterns and glass walls, and offers a youthful vibe. The guestrooms are clad in polished materials which embody charm and comfort, enhanced with trendsetting amenities and ambient, subdued lighting.
- To book, check prices or availability for Pur Oporto Boutique Hotel by actahotels
5. BessaHotel Baixa – a contemporary, lavish and sleek hotel where guests can enjoy the luxury of an on-site wellness and fitness area
Infiltrating the Porto hospitality circuit with a fresh new concept, BessaHotel Baixa is home to one of the city’s leading wellness offerings.
Every detail in the spa was designed to exude total luxury, from the layout of the heated pool to the materials used to construct the walls, to the ambient lighting systems in place.
A lush, manicured lawn is dotted by sun loungers and graced by sumptuous plants, with wooden decking areas offering an optimum space for tanning.
Each room is decorated in a modern style, offering an ergonomic workstation, and a satellite TV with Chromecast connectivity and video on demand.
- To book, check prices or availability for BessaHotel Baixa
6. Hotel Cristal Porto – a vibrant, new and hip hotel neighbouring the iconic Igreja da Lapa landmark
Located less than a kilometre from Avenida dos Aliados, The Hotel Cristal offers a strikingly modern hospitality concept in its 94 rooms, spread over 4 floors.
Reflecting the needs of both the business visionary and the modern jetsetter, the hotel offers a handful of vibrant communal nooks, both indoor and outdoor, enriched by an eclectic ambiance. Guests can enjoy a personalized bar and restaurant service at any time, where a unique gastronomic experience awaits.
After an afternoon of exploring the historic city, you can relish a golden sunset in the Cristal Garden, where the hustle and bustle of the metropolis seems to wither away into pure peace and serenity.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Cristal Porto
7. Porto Royal Bridges Hotel – one of the most elegant hotels in Porto providing guests with a award-winning, unique and retro stay
Transformed from an emblematic building of the 70s into one of central Porto’s most opulent hotels, Royal Bridges is the creation of prestigious, award-winning interior designer Nini Andrade a Silva.
Mere steps from Praça dos Aliados and the city’s most iconic theatres, the hotel provides a trendy, cosmopolitan atmosphere. Its vibrant eclecticism radiates through the Bar Eiffel, which impresses with a bold design and signature cocktails at any time of the day.
Spread across 6 floors and 3 different typologies, the 70 guestrooms offer everything you need for a relaxing break, including ultra-comfy beds, high-velocity Wi-Fi, and first-class amenities.
- To book, check prices or availability for Porto Royal Bridges Hotel
8. YOTEL Porto – a bright, tech-savvy and modern hotel within walking distance of the local popular attractions
YOTEL Porto is the ideal spot for both a city break and a business trip, owing to its premium facilities and its design-led environment.
Created to spark a real connection between modern travellers, the hotel is adorned with many graceful communal hangouts, prettified by vibrant décor and cosy seating areas.
Driven by a clever use of technology, guests have full control of their stay through kiosks, as well as the YOTEL App.
Not only is a digital key provided on the app, but guests can also control the cabin lights, replace the TV control remote, and request for room service. Responsible for room requests are the friendly robots, incorporated to maximize efficiency.
- To book, check prices or availability for YOTEL Porto
9. BessaHotel Boavista – a modern, elegant and design hotel ideal for those travelling for business
A striking façade welcomes you through large glass doors into the prestigious BessaHotel, centrally located in Porto’s upmarket Boavista district.
Inside, a sharp and slick aesthetic enhances a feeling of elegance, inviting luxury travellers and business visionaries to kick back in style.
The on-site BRestaurant captivates the natural light by day and transforms into an intimate hub by night, as a strong mixture of exquisite Iberian flavours is served.
The charming terrace invites you to delight yourself with a champagne flute or a glass of Douro wine whilst savouring jaw-dropping city panoramas. All guestrooms flourish with modern elements, and some even offer balconies with sweeping views of the cityscape
- To book, check prices or availability for BessaHotel Boavista
10. Canto De Luz – Luxury Maison – a newly renovated, lavish and elegant accommodation providing guests with a central yet quiet location
At Canto De Luz, a nondescript door on a traditional street opens up to a sleek world of originality with a homely touch.
The design-led property is set on a street lined with a charming mix of antique and vintage shops, as well as a handful of restaurants.
A glass-topped atrium floods a large central staircase with natural light, while plants drape from railings to diffuse an essence of nature. The interior design is a bespoke blend of old and new, expressed through timber floors, modern lamps, antique furniture, and crisp white linens.
A soundtrack of soft music sets a classy atmosphere on the garden terrace, where guests are invited to savour a delicious breakfast.
- To book, check prices or availability for Canto De Luz – Luxury Maison
11. Myo Design House – a retro, spacious and trendy B&B where guests can experience a home-away-from-home stay
This stunning building retains the original tiling and aesthetic of its 17th-century façade, and is teeming on the inside with vintage décor and soothing palettes.
Brimming with elegance and sophistication, Myo was designed with comfort in mind, and its Master Suites offer a unique art gallery concept taking inspiration from the Faculty of Fine Arts at The University of Porto.
Each room takes on the name of an emblematic space in the city, and portrays its individual appellation through exquisite paintings. The property is located on one of the most symbolic streets in the historic centre of Porto – Rua das Flores.
- To book, check prices or availability for Myo Design House
12. viterbo’8 – The Artists House – a new, beautiful and themed B&B that reflects the character of the city through its design
Here we have an extravagant accommodation offering located a stone’s throw away from the Sao Bento metro station. In a perfect symbiosis between comfort and elegance, Viterbo’8 is a tribute to Portuguese arts.
The hotel continues the spirit and authenticity lived in the streets of Porto, through heritage antiques, marble elements, and opulent décor. Each apartment reflects a unique artistic theme.
For example, the first floor Music Apartment is inspired by the creativity of Fado and Amália Rodrigues, while the Ceramic Apartment is inspired by the decorative arts of Bordallo Pinheiro. Each unit offers a fully equipped kitchen with a dining space, a cable TV, and a lavish bathroom.
- To book, check prices or availability for viterbo’8 – The Artists House
13. Maison Nos B&B – a cool and vibrant accommodation with hip features that blends tradition with modern day style
Nestled within the 14th -century Fernandina walls in the Vitória district, Maison Nos is a refined crossover between tradition and modernity.
The parquet-floored rooms are brightly furnished, and some are equipped with petite balconies overlooking the vibrant city streets.
Complimentary designer toiletries are provided, as well as ultra-high-velocity Wi-Fi and freestanding bathtubs. Each day, guests are invited to kickstart their day with fresh juice and homemade coffee in a hip space embellished with whimsical artwork.
The property’s supreme location only 350 yards from Clerigos Tower and the Borges Market means you can optimize your time spent exploring, whilst still benefitting from a secluded sanctuary to return to.
- To book, check prices or availability for Maison Nos B&B
14. Rosário Luxury Suites, by Oporto Collection – an upscale, spacious and charming B&B surrounded by an array of restaurants
Here we have a typical 19th-century bourgeois house located right within Porto’s artistic area, close to a variety of trendy restaurants, alternative shops, and galleries.
Walls of vibrant blue or green add a touch of class to the wood-clad suites, which boast colourful hand-woven rugs and quirky décor.
The fitted wardrobes add a charming aesthetic, and are nicely decorated with books and precious ornaments. Some of the suites feature a long and thin and exquisitely manicured garden, inviting guests to revel in the gorgeous Iberian sunshine.
Others boast balconies with a coffee table and chairs, offering a pleasant spot to savour the morning coffee.
- To book, check prices or availability for Rosário Luxury Suites, by Oporto Collection
15. Jardim da Batalha Boutique Hotel by Shiadu – a creative, charming boutique accommodation offering guests a buffet or continental breakfast each morning
Located an arm’s reach from some of Porto’s most iconic landmarks, this eclectic boutique is your ideal basecamp for exploring the city.
The quintessence of nature is invited in both through smooth and delicate wall art and through the beautiful flora which surrounds the hotel’s exterior.
A majestic sun terrace welcomes guests to an open-air ambiance, graced by coffee tables and chairs, offering an idyllic space to kick-start your morning. The 20 double rooms offer the comfort and amenities typical of a high-end resort, including ambient lighting, bespoke décor, and plush linens.
Further in-room offerings include a flat-screen TV with satellite channels, a safety deposit box, and complimentary designer toiletries.
- To book, check prices or availability for Jardim da Batalha Boutique Hotel by Shiadu
16. M Maison Particulière Porto – a Parisian-inspired, classic and quirky accommodation perfect for a couple’s romantic getaway
A clever redesign of a 16th-century house has balanced a historical charm with practical comfort at this stunning boutique hotel, set gracefully on one of Porto’s most beautiful streets.
A warm and romantic atmosphere is expressed by a quirky pairing of a bold colour scheme with heavy striped wallpaper, immediately dissipating the bustle of the surrounding streets.
Sculptures, tapestries, and other internationally sourced artefacts add a sense of homeliness to the property, and each room carries a unique layout and design.
All units offer sound-proof windows and block-out curtains, promoting a blissful night’s sleep atop plush mattresses and luxury box-spring beds.
- To book, check prices or availability for M Maison Particulière Porto
17. Mo House – a petite, historic and boho-chic accommodation overlooking the picturesque Douro River
Decorated in a bohemian style, Mo House brings an air of luxurious comfort to the historic centre of Porto. Within a 4-minute walk from the hotel, you can reach the narrow, cobbled streets of Ribeira, as well as the Torre dos Clérigos and the São Bento Station.
The soothing white-washed interiors in some of the communal spaces are offset by vivid furniture and patterned hues, exuding a sense of modern opulence. Quaint balconies in the accommodations invite you to relax with a glass of wine as you gaze over the hustle and bustle of the city below.
You can take advantage of first-class in-room amenities which include a flat-screen TV with satellite channels, a kitchenette, and a dining area, providing the comforts of home.
- To book, check prices or availability for Mo House
18. Malmerendas Boutique Lodging – a historic, stylish and contemporary accommodation steps away from the Bolhao Market
Here we have a traditional Portuguese house redesigned with modern features, in a stylish fusion of old and new. This restored townhouse still carries many features of its original roots, such as a skylight, a central wooden staircase, and glass-painted doors.
The guestrooms contrast this beautifully, adding a touch of modernity through luxury furnishings which combined with high ceilings and white-washed walls, presents a fresh look. A stand-out unit is the attic room, which boasts an A-frame ceiling which hangs low over the open-plan space and exudes a semi-cabin feel.
In each room you will find a kitchen with state-of-the-art amenities like Nespresso coffee machines, while the deluxe and junior suites are equipped with balconies offering garden views.
- To book, check prices or availability for Malmerendas Boutique Lodging
19. Charming Antas House – a classic, cozy and newly renovated B&B filled with character
From one of the most upmarket and quiet areas of the city, this colourful boutique impresses as a vibrant standalone property, where traditional interiors are offset by plush décor.
Rich in history, the arched windows and wooden beamed ceilings evoke the splendour of a bygone era, while antique lamps brighten up the graceful corridors.
Each morning, guests can savour a delicious and fresh breakfast, providing the fuel for an adventure-filled day of sightseeing. The house is surrounded by a large outdoor space with charming patios and a peaceful flower garden, bringing an essence of nature to your city break.
- To book, check prices or availability for Charming Antas House
20. Utopian a Charming Boutique Hotel – a contemporary, stylish and bright accommodation moments away from Ferreira Borges Market and Ribeira Square
Fronted by a colourful façade which sets the tone for a vibrant urban welcome, Utopian has become a favoured bolthole for both business travellers and leisure seekers.
This cosy home-away-from-home is situated in an excellent downtown location home to upscale dining, nightlife, and famous landmarks. The seven contemporary suites offer features typical of a luxury resort, designed with a creative flair that’s perfectly in tune with the surrounding artistic neighbourhood.
Modern interiors, state-of-the-art furniture, and luxury beds exude intimacy in the private sanctuaries, complemented by a well-stocked mini-bar, Portus Cale shower products, and TVs with Netflix. The bathrooms are clad in luxury marble, and feature large walk-in rainfall showers.
- To book, check prices or availability for Utopian a Charming Boutique Hotel
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Lisbon
- Cool boutique hotels in Faro
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Algarve
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Malaga
- Cool boutique hotels in Madrid
- Cool boutique hotels in Barcelona
- Cool boutique hotels in Nice
- Cool boutique hotels in Rome
- Cool boutique hotels in Venice
- Cool boutique hotels in Marrakech
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Valencia
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cascais
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.