The stunning cathedral city of the Archbishop of York is one of the most beautiful destinations to immerse yourself in heritage, history and hospitality. York is a rich and diverse treasure trove of historic landmarks, entrancing its many visitors with remnants and relics of the Romans, Viking, and Medieval rulers.
When you’ve finished exploring the many cathedrals, castles and museums, you can feast your eyes on Georgian mansions, Victorian townhomes and Regency-era buildings. The cobblestone streets of York are also brimming with gorgeous independent shops and fine restaurants as well as upscale boutique hotels, historic inns and famous hotel chains. Here are the best cool and unusual hotels in York, England (in no particular order)...
1. Moxy York – a stylish, contemporary and tech-savvy hotel perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs wanting to explore the city
Moxy welcomes vacationers with an eclectic and vibrant setting with a classic old-meets-new vibe in the heart of York city, surrounded by medieval landmarks and historic sites and within walking distance to the Shambles.
The open floor layout and well-lit lobby create an ambient setting, accentuated by contemporary finishing and modern furniture.
Guests can explore a wide range of accommodations suited to their housing needs, including the Moxy Sleeper, Moxy Double Sleeper and Moxyfied Family Sleeper. Each bedroom is elegantly appointed with tasteful furniture, functional amenities and creature comforts.
Digital nomads enjoy the convenience of the Plug and Meet lounging spaces equipped with ergonomic seating, 56-inch screens and projection equipment for presentations, and writing walls.
- To book, check prices or availability for Moxy York
2. Malmaison York- a trendy, design and eco-friendly hotel featuring an on-site spa and rooftop bar
Malmaison offers a quintessential York experience with its historic landmark site, elegantly appointed guest rooms, and opulent in-house dining experience with bubbly cocktails. Nestled in the city’s heart, Malmaison tempts luxury travellers with its fancy address on Rougier Street and breathtaking views of York Minster.
This upscale establishment offers an extensive range of accommodations, from standard Mal Club guest rooms to sprawling family-friendly suites and chic luxury rooms.
Guests can explore 150 tastefully designed rooms and suites featuring luxurious sleep stations, eclectic mood lighting, smart appliances, and spa-like bathrooms.
The onsite Malmaison Spa is the perfect place for an indulgent day of self-pampering, with a wide host of ESPA and NIMUE beauty treatments.
- To book, check prices or availability for Malmaison York
3. Hotel Indigo York, an IHG Hotel – a quirky-chic, themed and fun hotel with eclectic decor and a hip atmosphere ideal for Millennials and Gen Zs
Hotel Indigo curates a lavishly opulent experience for travellers who love to indulge in finesse and elegance. This boutique hotel is home to indulgently comfortable guest rooms, featuring supremely luxurious bedding, designer furniture, and spa-like bathrooms with rainfall showers.
The staff is highly commendable for diligent attention to detail, leaving no stone unturned in making guests feel well looked after. The concierge and staff are extremely helpful in mapping out local experiences, popular hangout spots and insider advice.
Travellers can relax at the in-house No.88 Walmgate, an eclectic bar famous for its crafty cocktails, locally brewed ales and extensive selection of rare gins.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Indigo York, an IHG Hotel
4. No 1 by GuestHouse, York – an upscale, pet-friendly and Instagrammable boutique hotel with trusted local dog walkers on hand allowing guests to enjoy a lie in
One of the finest boutique hotels to experience York’s regal charm, No. 1 by GuestHouse is housed in a Grade-II Regency-era townhouse building.
This high-end hotel combines its vintage interiors and Regency-era architecture with elegant furniture and opulent details. The interiors are a feast of aesthetics with their high ceilings, dramatic staircase, idyllic windows and ivy wood detailing.
Vacationers can find their match in the hotel’s 39 beautifully appointed bedrooms, designed with heritage furniture and modern amenities. The building also houses three luxurious suites, each paying homage to the building’s legacy and interiors with a unique heritage statement.
The in-house restaurant and bar serve guests delicious food throughout the day, with pantries overflowing with the finest wines, cheese varieties and rare blends. The onsite spa completes No. 1’s cocoon of indulgence with five treatment rooms to enjoy bespoke therapies and beauty treatments.
- To book, check prices or availability for No 1 by GuestHouse, York
5. Novotel York Center – a modern and family-friendly hotel within walking distance of the city’s local attractions
The Novotel York Center hotel invites travellers with its romantic setting overlooking the scenic banks of River Foss and historic city walls. Located in the heart of York’s cultural and historic hub, this 4-star hotel is one of the best family-friendly accommodations for an action-packed adventure.
The tastefully appointed bedrooms and suites feature contemporary décor, ergonomic furniture, smart appliances, designated workstations, and ensuite bathrooms.
The onsite Gourmet Bar offers an extensive variety of English snacks, afternoon teatime spreads and international cuisine. Guests can reserve the conference and banquet rooms for meetings, weddings and social events.
This location is ideal for sightseeing, club-hopping, cultural musings and enjoying York’s world-famous theatre scene.
- To book, check prices or availability for Novotel York Center
6. Jorvik House – a chic and cool boutique hotel in a picturesque location overlooking the 11th-century church of St Olafs
Jorvik House is the ultimate abode for travellers obsessed with York’s Viking heritage and historic architecture. Popular for its quaint and tranquil setting in an otherwise bustling neighbourhood, Jorvik House is a 1750 Georgian townhouse overlooking the scenic expanse of the 11th Century Church of St. Olave’s and the Museum Gardens.
The Scandinavian interiors take inspiration from Viking heritage, blending ancient and modern accents to create a laid-back and eclectic Nordic aesthetic.
Jorvik House aims to delight its guests with amenities and hospitality that invoke the spirit of hygge – the Danish term for warmth.
Each guest room has been designed as a uniquely appointed retreat, decked with luxury bedding, finely crafted furniture, and modern comforts. Guests cannot stop raving about the loft-style suite featuring sweeping views of the York Minster.
- To book, check prices or availability for Jorvik House
7. The Churchill Hotel – a unique, upscale and Instagrammable hotel hosted in a historic Georgian mansion filled with character
One of York’s most elegant hotels to experience British heritage at its finest, The Churchill Hotel is a majestic 1827 Georgian mansion nestled in the heart of York City.
This four-star venue combines classic English heritage with modern design accents with masterful elegance, creating a warm and ambient setting.
From afar, the hotel has the postcard-worthy appearance of a countryside home, making it the perfect abode to return to tranquillity after enjoying the hustle and bustle of nearby tourist attractions.
The exclusively appointed bedrooms feature deep and bold Georgian hues, polished wooden furniture, bespoke comforts and modern appliances.
The onsite Wellington bar offers an impressive selection of craft beers and rare wines, while Dewspans, a modern brasserie, is famous citywide for serving classic Yorkshire cuisine with a farm-to-table experience.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Churchill Hotel
8. Hotel Du Vin & Bistro York – a classic, elegant and modern hotel perfect for a couple’s romantic getaway
Situated in the soulful and serene neighbourhood of The Mount, Hotel Du Vin is housed in a 19th-century building near York’s vibrant historic centre.
This chic boutique hotel is home to 44 luxuriously designed bedrooms and suites, featuring opulent accents like roll-top baths, drench showers, smart TVs, and fine Egyptian cotton linens.
Hotel Du Vin delights its guests with an abundance of lavish amenities, such as private dining rooms, a whimsical courtyard and a prized wine collection. Guests enjoy mingling at the trademark Bistro or dining in the courtyard.
Business travellers can access meeting rooms and event spaces to hold corporate gatherings, while the sprawling courtyard is a dreamy setting to host weddings and engagements.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Du Vin & Bistro York
9. Sandburn Hall – a beautiful, unique and elegant accommodation surrounded by 1000 acres of lakes and woodlands
Situated on the fringes of the city, Sandburn Hall is a majestic estate nestled in the heart of 1000 acres of wilderness and lakes. It is the ultimate retreat to enjoy countryside-like splendours without putting the major city distractions at an overwhelming distance.
Sandburn Hall attracts golfing enthusiasts, wedding parties, serenity seekers and corporate recruiters with its sprawling stunning landscape, event venues and state-of-the-art amenities. Guests can explore 40 divinely appointed rooms and suites featuring high-end furniture, comfortable bedding and stunning oak wood detailing.
The 18-hole championship golf course makes this inn-like hotel a favourite among families and retirees. The onsite dining establishment, Tykes Restaurant, is highly renowned for serving Yorkshire cuisine prepared with locally farmed produce and seafood.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sandburn Hall
10. Grays Court Hotel – an elegant, lavish and beautiful boutique hotel offering guests a fine dining experience
Imagine staying in a heritage site where kings were received with regal grandeur, royal courts dined with matchless extravagance and nobles were bestowed the gift of knighthood. The Grays Court Hotel is the perfect venue to immerse yourself in the diversely rich history and antiquated charm of York.
Grays Court is the only private venue that enjoys direct access to the historic city walls. This spectacular hotel blends history with contemporary comforts to curate themed rooms and suites.
For instance, the Willoughby reinvents countryside splendours with its William IV poster bed, while the Cumberland combines exquisite wooden craftsmanship with double monsoon showers.
The onsite restaurant, the Bow Room, elevates the hotel’s glamour with its elegant fine dining experience.
- To book, check prices or availability for Grays Court Hotel
11. The Fat Badger York Sure Hotel Collection by Best Western – a quaint, historic and chic hotel where guests can enjoy a relaxing city break
The Fat Badger York tempts luxury-driven vacationers with indulgent resort-like guest rooms, luxury amenities and an AA Rosette award-winning restaurant.
Home to 12 magnificently decorated rooms, the Fat Badger elevates the experience with rare antiques, hedonistic pleasures and gracious hospitality.
Guests can explore rooms with sweeping views of historic landmarks and nearby attractions, and treat themselves to locally crafted ale served exclusively at the inn. The pub-style restaurant is one of York’s finest dining spots to indulge in traditional British cuisine with a modern twist.
The 4-star establishment is nestled two minutes from York Minster, within walking distance of The Shambles and National Railway Museum.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Fat Badger York Sure Hotel Collection by Best Western
12. Judge’s Lodging – a 5-star, charming and cozy hotel located in the heart of York
Drenched in old-world charm and modern splendours, Judge’s Lodging is a prestigious venue from the highly acclaimed House of Daniel Thwaites collection. Staying at the Judge’s Lodging is an experience in itself, for the hotel is remarkably well-endowed in history, architectural charm and lavish comforts.
This stunning property is home to multiple bedrooms and suites, including the Terrace Room, Courtyard Room, Character Room, Feature Room and Judges Suite.
The Character Room is an impressive display of bespoke wooden furniture, fine fabrics and charming vintage details, while the Judges Suite is an oasis of extravagance and grandeur.
Judge’s Lodging is famous for its award-winning in-house restaurant, serving traditional Georgian cuisine in a grand setting.
- To book, check prices or availability for Judge’s Lodging
13. The Bootham Tavern – York – a classic and newly renovated hotel that hosts weekly jazz sessions and live music
Travellers eager to find an energetic, eclectic and high-spirited accommodation in the heart of York should look no further than the Bootham Tavern. A free-spirited venue, the Bootham Tavern is popular for hosting live sports events and action-packed live music evenings on the weekend.
This bohemian tavern is an iconic British pub with a delightful inn, one of York’s best-kept secrets. The Bootham Tavern offers 6 tastefully appointed guest rooms, each unique in its theme and interior profile.
The Grand Old Duke of York room is a luxurious double room ideal for honeymoons and romantic getaways, while the York Minster is a comfortable single room suitable for solo travellers.
Guests can explore other double rooms inspired by famous city landmarks, including The Castle, St. Mary’s Abbey and Ouse.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Bootham Tavern – York
14. Golden Fleece York – one of the most famous hotels in York with a kitsch and traditional interior
A quaint little pub with a warm inn-like accommodation, the Golden Fleece is deeply embedded in the cultural landscape of York.
This one-of-a-kind hotel has a rich and horrifying history of paranormal activity, categorized among the most haunted pubs in the United Kingdom. If you relish a vacation filled with indulgent comforts, finely crafted beer and ghostly encounters, the Golden Fleece is the place to be.
The inn offers 4 brightly lit and sprawling rooms with a traditional aesthetic dominated by polished hardwood floors and antique furniture. The luxury guest rooms feature a lounging area and tasteful 4-poster beds with fine linens and bedding.
The Golden Fleece is also home to an onsite restaurant and a lovely beer garden. Guests can enjoy live music shows and reserve ghost tours to unravel the hotel’s paranormal mysteries.
- To book, check prices or availability for Golden Fleece York
15. The Lawrance Luxury Aparthotel – York – a contemporary, trendy and stylish accommodation well-equipped for a family’s city getaway
Families and travellers looking to enjoy the privacy of an intimate home-like setting will find their perfect match in the Lawrance Luxury Aparthotel. This centrally located venue, situated on Micklegate, is home to 13 newly renovated apartments overlooking the historic city walls.
Vacationers can explore 1, 2 and 3-bedroom apartments and sprawling penthouses featuring fully-equipped kitchens, lounging areas, dining space, and private balconies. These loft-style apartments feature chic furniture, vibrant colour tones, modern appliances and upscale amenities.
Guests have everything they need to enjoy independence and opulence. The Lawrance delivers the attention to detail and hospitality of a luxury hotel with the independence of a home-away-from-home.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Lawrance Luxury Aparthotel – York
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Leeds
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Manchester
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Edinburgh
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Glasgow
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Birmingham
- Cool and Unique Hotels in London
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Brighton
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Dublin
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Oxford
- Cool boutique hotels in Cambridge
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bath
- Cool boutique hotels in Bristol
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Liverpool
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cork
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Blackpool
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Newquay
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Harrogate
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Newcastle
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Whitby
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Sheffield
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Scarborough
Beth was born under a wandering star, with drama in her veins and ink in her pen. After stints studying theatre in Dublin and Utrecht she used her creative streak to see as much of the world as she could on as little money. She toured Italian Schools with a children’s theatre troop, lived as an au-pair in both Rome and Washington DC, explored the British countryside, worked her way through much of Europe, Salsa danced in Cuba and road tripped down America’s west coast where she discovered her spiritual home; Portland, Oregon. In between adventures she resides peacefully with her family, cats and ukulele.