Small and compact, and not too far from the beautiful Oregon coastline, Portland showcases everything which is good about the hipster scene. Bursting with cool style and character and a sense of hope and community I found myself surrounded by cool little cafes, chic and cheap vintage shops, and good-natured, eco-minded hipsters with a heart.
After a little scouting around I found the charmingly unique Portland hotels also reflect the city’s progressive and creative outlook on life. Here are my favorite cool, quirky and unusual hotels in Portland, Oregon to help you plan a fun and interesting city break (in no particular order, they’re all awesome)…
1. McMenamins Kennedy School – a wonderful offbeat hotel set in a restored 1915 elementary school
Built in 1915, this repurposed Art Nouveux era elementary school is a class of its own, literally! With half of its 57 individually designed boutique rooms maintaining their original classroom character and the other half sporting literary themes – the popular and exceptionally rated McMenamins Kennedy School radiates an unusual vintage cool. Thankfully craft beer and freshly roasted coffee replace school dinners in this hotel!
Guests can enjoy the house brew in the Concordia Brewery (formally the little girl’s room!) listen to excellent live music in the on-site venue, and munch on delicious sustainably sourced grub in the Courtyard Restaurant.
After a day exploring all the Portland landmarks, you can unwind in the outdoor swimming pool or combine homegrown pub fare with movie magic on the auditorium cinema screen! A truly unique and fun Portland hotel experience!
- Address: 5736 NE 33rd Ave, Portland, OR 97211
- To book, check prices or availability for McMenamins Kennedy School
2. Jupiter Hotel – a hip retro-chic Portland boutique hotel converted from a midcentury motor lodge
‘For modern travelers, cultural creatives and anyone who lives outside the box’ the highly-rated Hotel Jupiter, located in the hip and happening Burnside area of Portland (a 5-minute drive from Downtown), maybe the place for you.
If you want to party the night away you can stay on the bar side of the hotel, right next to the Doug Fir Lounge and Restaurant, this award-winning small venue offers excellent food, beer, and live music so you can rock ’til the small hours!
For a more peaceful stay choose a room on the chill side. All rooms feature chic 1950’s American dream-inspired décor, free-WiFi, flat-screen TVs, and everything else you need for a very comfy – and trendy – Portland stay.
As well as a cool 24-hour art gallery and a contemporary courtyard patio with a trendy fire pit, the hotel is dedicated to supporting local artists and small businesses and the first Friday of every month it hosts a ‘reception for the artist’ event where you can mix with local artisans and explore multi-sensory art forms with like-minded people.
A perfect hip mid-range Portland hotel for the streetwise urban traveler, this is contemporary culture at its best!
- 800 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97214
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Jupiter Portland
3. Ace Hotel – a unique and trendy downtown hotel set in a historic landmark property
This refreshing little chic and funky Portland hotel is an affordable option without compromising on style and comfort. Based in a historic building in downtown Portland (the vibrant beating heart of the city), the highly-rated The Ace Hotel is close to all the sites and on plenty of public transport links.
The spacious rooms are lovingly decorated by local artists but still come complete with free WiFi, minibars, and flat-screen TVs and you can enjoy home-cooked locally sourced food and drink in the Clyde Common restaurant and bar.
If you fancy exploring the city on two wheels there are bikes to borrow or you can even rent a bespoke handmade bike created for the hotel by artist Jordon Hufnagel.
There are plenty of cozy communal spaces – including a funky onsite cafe and multiple cool restaurants – where you can chill out with fellow travelers, play a vinyl record or two or take advantage of the gorgeous vintage photo booth to capture some old-style holiday memories! Wonderful!
- Address: 1022 SW Harvey Milk St, Portland, OR 97205
- To book, check prices or availability for The Ace Hotel Portland
4. McMenamins Crystal – a famously cool and themed historic downtown hotel which is also home to an equally famous ballroom
Enjoy downtown Portland at its Rock ‘n’ roll finest at this quirky Portland hotel inspired by The Crystal Ballroom’s extensive musical history.
Set in a building built in 1911, the décor in each of the 51 rooms at the much loved and highly rated McMenamins Crystal Hotel is influenced by one of the standout show’s at the Ballroom – from Blondie to The Flaming Lips, local artists and fans have done their best to capture the atmosphere generated by these music icons. With The Crystal Ballroom just across the road, you can even become part of the story!
The wonderfully eclectic rooms are fabulous too and with the music theme running throughout the hotel, the vividly colored rooms are each named after a well-known musician and come with fantastic city views and private bathrooms. Other very cool features include pets and children under 6 being able to stay for free, an indoor swimming pool, and a wonderful art gallery – music-themed of course.
Like all McMenamin Hotels, this one is situated in a historic building; it has its own venue and it serves up food and brews made from only the finest Northwest ingredients.
Music lovers, out there will, of course, adore this very cool Portland hotel even offers limited room and gig packages that are well worth a look!
- Address: 303 SW 12th Ave, Portland, OR 97205
- To book, check prices or availability for McMenamins Crystal Hotel
5. Sentinel Hotel Portland – a creative and refined downtown hotel housed in an elegant historic building
The luxurious 4-star exceptionally rated Sentinel Hotel is housed in a historic terracotta building dated from 1909 in the heart of downtown Portland (set directly at a streetcar stop) is a place where creative thinkers, artists, and entrepreneurs can lay their head and be inspired.
The wonderful interior is a fusion of old-time luxury and contemporary ideas with black and white prints of inspirational people and thoughtfully curated 20th-century local art. I stayed on the top floor which had beautiful city views and had access to the lovely ‘Room at The End Of The Hall’ a relaxing lounge that deliberately inspires creativity. When I wanted to step up a gear I headed to the modern 24-hour gym.
The food in the hotel’s two upscale restaurants was delicious and I really admired the green attitude of this hip Portland hotel – it even has its own beehives on the roof to supply the hotel with local honey! The elegant pet-friendly rooms offer free Wi-Fi and flat-screen TVs and opt for a suite and you’ll find cozy fireplaces too.
This is a really innovative combination of luxury and free-thinking and a great place to stay when visiting this brilliant and quirky city.
- Address: 614 SW 11th Ave, Portland, OR 97205
- To book, check prices or availability for Sentinel Hotel Portland
6. Moxy Portland Downtown – a funky, upbeat and unconventional hotel with a youthful fun vibe in a great downtown location
The hugely popular hotel brand now has a funky Portland version marked out with a huge neon sign in Moxy’s signature hot pink and its usual floor-to-ceiling glass front windows. Inside the Moxy Portland Downtown the decor is equally as fun and striking with unique, colorful, and ultra-modern decor with both locals and visiting out-of-towners seem to love.
The vibe is youthful and fun and the cool location in Downtown’s West End will put you side-by-side with some of the best eating and shopping in Portland.
The trendy guest rooms feature flat-screen TVs, Wi-Fi, a modern design and some offer bunk beds. Other amenities include a hip sociable bar and a fitness center.
- Address: 585 SW 10th Ave, Portland, OR 97205
- To book, check prices or availability for Moxy Portland Downtown
7. Hotel Vintage – creative themed upscale accommodation which is often said to be one of the best hotels in Portland
Located just half a mile from Governor Tom McCall Waterfront Park on Willamette River (in the lively Downtown SouthWest area an 11-minute walk from the Portland Art Museum) is where you will find this very cool Portland hotel.
The 4-star exceptionally rated Hotel Vintage is a pioneering upscale hip boutique hotel that features delightful design details such as a floating staircase and a bunch of grapes chandelier as well as an adult games room and two wonderfully contemporary eateries.
The Pazzo restaurant offers local wines and cream-of-the-crop Italian cuisine, while the casually cool Bacchus Bar holds delicious craft beers and wines amongst old-school arcade games and pool.
The chic guest rooms are equally as fabulous with flat-screen TVs, minifridges and upgraded rooms come with hot tubs, balconies, or even blissful outdoor hot tubs.
As well as welcoming pets and offering a modern 24-hour fitness center, the gorgeous Portland abode prides itself on its gastronomy and offers urban tasting sessions in its exquisitely designed lounge room. This is cool kitsch comfort at its finest!
- Address: 422 SW Broadway, Portland, OR 97205
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Vintage Portland
8. Duniway Hotel – Portland’s trendy new contemporary lifestyle hotel
Billed as Portland’s newest lifestyle hotel the 4-star exceptionally rated Duniway Hotel has quickly become one of the most popular places to stay in Portland.
Located on a tree-lined street in the hip and happening heart of downtown Portland – within easy walking distance of cool shops, bars, and restaurants galore – this is a stylish and trendy Portland base with high standards.
The sleek and polished rooms feature trendy decor and lots of mod cons, the upgraded rooms and suites are particularly spectacular. Other hotel highlights include a hip restaurant/bar run by celebrity chef Chris Cosentino, an indoor pool, a modern gym, and a super-lush furnished terrace that regularly hosts live music and yoga classes. Upscale Portland at its best!
- Address: 545 SW Taylor St, Portland, OR 97204
- To book, check prices or availability for Duniway Hotel Portland
9. Jupiter Next – a hipster-friendly retro-chic boutique hotel located in the trendy Central Eastside district
This new urban chic hotel in Portland’s Eastside can be seen as an embodiment of the city’s hipster culture.
Designed by Works Progress Architecture, Jupiter Next combines edgy with luxury and really, really stunning views of the city and the West Hills. The vibrant arts, culture and tech scene of the Eastside is just outside the door, and you can get the bus or streetcar to downtown.
The modern vibe is everywhere, from the landmark metal staircase in the lobby, designed by Laura Sol, to the seating in the Secret Garden terrace. The cozy bedrooms have city-inspired headboards and signature knit throws from Seek & Swoon on the beds.
There’s space to work, relax and socialize in the hotel, and the tropical-themed bar Hey Love turns into a disco in the evenings.
- Address: 900 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97214
- To book, check prices or availability for Jupiter Next Portland
10. Hoxton Hotel Portland – a hip and trendy boutique hotel with a popular rooftop restaurant perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
The Hoxton is set in the heart of Portland’s historic Chinatown and provides easy access to all areas of the city by rail, taxi, and other public transport. This boutique hotel is a fresh new build yet provides a dichotomy: a mixture of modernism with nods to Portland’s historic past.
Tasteful and plush furnishings blend well with retro ornaments to give the hotel’s interior an appealing color scheme. Large windows let in tons of natural light.
A rooftop restaurant provides exhilarating views across the city, while the basement bar serves up a wide selection of cocktails, beers, and snacks. It’s a comfortable, cool hotel perfect for all types of travelers.
- Address: 15 NW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97209
- To book, check prices or availability for The Hoxton Hotel Portland
11. Hotel Zags – a stylish retro-chic Portland boutique hotel perfect for Instagrammers
Situated right in the middle of the funky arts district (just two blocks from a MAX light rail station and a 6-minute walk from Portland Art Museum), the 4-star highly rated Hotel Zags embraces Portland’s unique brand of style and spirit offering a tranquil, pet-friendly stay in the heart of town.
Blending clean sleek lines and welcoming warmth this gorgeous contemporary Portland accommodation offers everything required for a refined and relaxing stay.
The boutique hotel has a zen interior courtyard complete with trendy fire pits and the city’s first-ever (very green) living wall. The sleek and chic rooms come with mod cons such as flat-screen TVs, free Wi-Fi, iPod docks, and sumptuous marble bathrooms and guests receive free passes to a nearby 24-hour fitness center.
Here is also a great place to begin your exploration of Portland’s renowned foodie scene as its onsite restaurant Nel Centro offers a fine dining experience engineered by celebrated Portland chef and restaurateur, David Machado. If unique culture and funky elegance is your thing, this may be your perfect Portland hotel!
- Address: 515 SW Clay St, Portland, OR 97201
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Zags Portland
12. Hotel Vance – a funky new downtown Portland hotel which features colorful murals and industrial accents
The Hotel Vance is dedicated to the innovation and creativity that have made Portland what it is, and the name itself is short for “Advance”. It’s also one of the most convenient places to stay in Portland, located downtown near the Pearl District and well connected to other parts of the city.
The sleek, futuristic shape of the building is echoed in the decor. Rooms have free WiFi, city views, and artwork that evokes Portland’s appellation as the City of Roses.
There’s a Starbucks in the hotel and also the Beastro by Marshawn Lynch, which serves Hawaiian food during the day and Korean in the evenings.
- Address: 1455 SW Broadway, Portland, OR 97201
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Vance Portland
13. Hotel Grand Stark – one of the coolest boutique hotels in Portland located within Portland’s vibrant Central Eastside
In keeping with the Palisociety tradition of fitting each hotel to its locale and history, the Hotel Grand Stark embodies the Pacific Northwest spirit of quirky, independent do-it-yourself.
Located in the Central Eastside, it is close to the area’s best cafes, bars and restaurants, as well as the artists and craftsmen who give the neighborhood its character.
The distressed-chic lobby wall, lovingly-displayed artwork, and bespoke emerald green accents make this a truly Instagrammable hotel. The understated luxury of the rooms is enhanced with Nespresso coffee machines, SMEG refrigerators, plush robes and Diptyque bath products.
The Bar Chamberlain is a classic hotel bar, but with a millennial twist, serving Avocado Toast for breakfast as well as classic cocktails Steak Au Poivre in the evenings.
- Address: 509 SE Grand Ave, Portland, OR 97214
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Grand Stark
14. The Heathman Hotel – a fabulous upscale design hotel made world-famous by the Fifty Shades novel
Located in a DownTown central historic building built in 1927, this is high-end landmark Portland institution of a hotel. If you want to splash out on a completely deluxe boutique experience, the 4-star exceptionally rated Heathman Hotel is where it’s at!
Situated in the heart of Portland, close to all the galleries, parks, and museums (and only three blocks from the Pioneer Square South MAX Station) the chic and unique Portland hotel is second-to-none for classic elegance. Although arguably its most famous accolade is being the hotel of choice for Ana and Christian’s first rendezvous in Fifty Shades of Grey!
The sophisticated boutique rooms are spacious and artfully designed and feature flat-screen TVs, French press coffeemakers, twice-daily maid service, and free Wi-Fi. The truly gorgeous suites offer 4-poster beds, whirlpool tubs, and living rooms. Other hotel highlights include a swish fitness center, an intimate Tea Court Lounge offering delicious fine dining, live Jazz twice a week, and complimentary wine tastings offered on weeknights.
The lovely award-winning historic Portland accommodation also offers an ‘Art of Sleep’ bed menu which allows guests to choose from a selection of sumptuous mattresses, a unique lending library for guests and a ‘pampered pets package’ if you also wanted to take a furry friend – a delightful luxury hotel option!
- Address: 1001 SW Broadway, Portland, OR 97205
- To book, check prices or availability for The Heathman Hotel
15. Hotel Deluxe – old-school Hollywood glamour with an art-deco theme
For a film buff like me, the 4-star exceptionally rated Art-Deco Hotel Deluxe is a dream exuding the glamour of Hollywood’s golden years from every wall.
Not an alcove remains untouched by the silver screen as the hotel is adorned with a magnificent collection of film stills from the 1930s through to the 1960s and each floor is a homage to a director, actor or era in cinema from Hitchcock to Gene Kelly, from Brando to Bardot…this place has them all. It also has a pop-up cinema showing semi-impromptu classics accompanied by craft beer or an elegant cocktail!
Located in a central DownTown location (a 3-minute walk from Jeld-Wen Park and 10 minutes from Providence Park MAX Station) – the unique Portland hotel which dates from 1912 – is beautifully designed with soft luxurious fabrics and colors, polished wood and a timeless elegance.
My room was a calm oasis of cream and pale green that brought to mind Parisian luxury in the 1940’s – beautiful, tasteful, and vintage although with all the mod cons likeWiFi, iPod docks, and flat-screen TVs. There are lots of communal spots and plenty of options to eat and drink and as a treat, I enjoyed Afternoon Tea in the opulent lobby and a creative cocktail in the 1950s-style cocktail lounge.
It was exquisite of course like everything else in this hotel. If you moon after Marilyn or wish you could wear a headscarf with the same finesse as Hepburn, this place will make you feel like a movie star, at least it did for me!
- Address: 729 SW 15th Ave, Portland, OR 97205
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Deluxe Portland
16. Hotel Eastlund – a vibrant and trendy upscale boutique hotel in Portland
Situated in the heart of the bustling east side of the city (1.5 miles from Pioneer Courthouse Square and 3 miles from the Portland Japanese Garden), this boutique design hotel was a real find. The interior of the 4-star exceptionally rated Hotel Eastlund sports a gorgeous and sophisticated 1960’s esque design full of geometrical shapes and 1960’s chic shades.
The chic and colorful rooms come with free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, and sublime city views and upgraded rooms offer extra rooms and soaking tubs. There is also an onsite shop, fitness center, an amazing rooftop restaurant with spectacular views of the city and a delicious beer-centric menu to die for, and also an artisan bakery onsite as well as a wine bar!
I personally stayed in a King room and it was spacious, bright, and clean with an enormous bed and some cool retro artwork on the walls, which I couldn’t fault. An awesome place from which to explore everything cool and unusual that Portland has to offer!
- Address: 1021 NE Grand Ave, Portland, OR 97232
- To book, check prices or availability for the Eastlund Hotel Portland
17. Staypineapple at Hotel Rose – a hip, modern Portland hotel with colorful kitsch-style decor
Staying at a Staypineapple Hotel is always a thoroughly decent experience and the highly-rated Hotel Rose is no exception. Located in the downtown heart of the city (one block from a MAX light rail station), the ultra-comfortable rooms offer a choice of views out over the city, waterfront, and park.
My room was spacious and super comfy, well designed with a touch of retro flair and kitsch cuteness, an ergonomic chair, and a wonderful walk-in rain shower that I didn’t want to get out of! As always there were cool communal spaces to hang out in…I especially adored the massive fireplace and the craft cocktails.
In this unique Portland stay I had access to the gym, freebie coffee and cookies in the afternoon, and superb in-room amenities such as an iPhone dock/ Bluetooth speaker, big TV, and super comfy bedding in my room and the friendly staff were always on hand to help if I needed it…however, the hotel had been so thoughtfully equipped I only needed to chat with the staff when I was looking for local things to do.
They had plenty of ideas for me and I loved the hotel’s vintage yellow cruiser bikes and heading off for adventures – definitely an Instagram moment! A thoroughly cool Portland experience all around where even pets can stay too (for a reduced fee if you book the pineapple pup package) – great work Staypineapple!
- Address: 50 SW Morrison St, Portland, OR 97204
- To book, check prices or availability for Staypineapple at Hotel Rose
18. Hotel Monaco – a chic, trendy and very Instagrammable downtown Portland hotel
The 4-star exceptionally rated Hotel Monaco wears eccentric eco-chic like a comfortable shirt, mixing eclectic furnishings and cozy vintage décor with heaps of personality…sort of like a microcosm of Portland itself. Located in downtown Portland (just two blocks from a MAX light rail station and a 12-minute walk from Portland Art Museum) all of the beautiful vintage-styled rooms offer free WiFi, flat-screen TVs, in-room spa services as well as gorgeous fabrics and designer wallpaper.
Opt for an upgraded room and you’ll be treated to living rooms, lush whirlpool tubs, and wonderful city views.
Pets are welcomed with treats, there’s a gym and the on-site Red Star Bar boasts creative cocktails and one of the largest whiskey selections in downtown as well as microbrews and local wines from the Willamette Valley. The all-day Red Star Tavern serves up innovative dishes compiled from local organic ingredients.
To top it off the beautifully unusual Portland hotel is situated in the wonderfully vibrant and central DownTown SouthWest…a shining example of an urban eco-hotel at its finest!
- Address: 506 SW Washington St, Portland, OR 97204
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Monaco Portland
19. The Nines Hotel – a 5-star hotel luxury hotel with a chic and opulent design
The exceptionally rated 4-star Hotel Nines is seriously a masterpiece in design. Walking into the grand open-plan space, cleverly sectioned off into smaller, cozier alcoves without impacting the flow really took my breath away.
So much thought has gone into this interior…from the wonderful artwork supplied by the local art college to the innovative play on light and space that characterizes The Nines…it really is a pleasure just to be in it! Luxury and elegance triumphs throughout, a perfect homage to Meier & Frank who brought the building to life in 1909 as their flagship department store and headquarters.
Located in a fabulous DownTown location the upscale trendsetting Portland hotel is located a minute’s walk away from 6th Ave MAX light rail station and 10 minutes’ walk from Portland Art Museum.
The chic rooms come with flat-screen TVs and Wi-Fi and upgraded rooms offer complimentary evening cocktails. Want more? Then the library-themed cocktail bar, the modern fitness center, the rooftop restaurant serving Asian fusion cuisine combined with sublime city views, or the onsite restaurant serving up hearty American cuisines won’t disappoint.
Absolute luxury all round and the service to match it. Not a budget stay but worth every penny if you want a real treat in Portland!
- Address: 525 SW Morrison St, Portland, OR 97204
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Nines Portland
20. The Lion and The Rose – a characterful guesthouse with quirky-chic vintage-inspired decor
Located a 10-minute walk from an Avenue MAX Station, this is no ordinary Portland guesthouse – it’s a lovingly refurbished Victorian mansion that takes guests back to a bygone era.
For nostalgic souls like me, the quirky The Lion and the Rose is just perfect…it is also chic and elegant with no expense spared on comfort and amenities and possibly the best breakfast I have ever eaten! I stayed in the smallest room, The Avandel, but was seriously impressed by the attention to detail and the perfect period touches. My bathroom was just across the hall but it was exclusively mine and wow, what a bathroom!
The porcelain tub stood on golden lions feet upon a polished marble floor and was covered in delicately painted flowers…the floral motif was continued in the drapes, tiles, and wallpaper…some may have found it a bit of a floral overload but for me it was heavenly.
After a few days of reading on the wraparound porch and working my way through the many blends of tea on offer I was ready to buy myself a cotton and lace nightdress and take up needlework – for lovers of history and nostalgia this Portland gem of a place is an absolute dream!
- Address: 1810 NE 15th Ave, Portland, OR 97212
- To book, check prices or availability for The Lion and the Rose Guest House
21. The [email protected] Station – a fun, funky and colorful Portland hotel
This offbeat psychedelic Portland hotel will blow your socks off if you love colorful retro kitsch! The highly-rated [email protected] Station is situated in bustling NorthWest Portland – an Aladdin’s cave of vintage goodies, boutique shopping, craft breweries, and cafes galore! It’s right on the eco-friendly streetcar line, so traveling in and out of downtown couldn’t be easier.
Like all cool Portland hotels worth their salt you can enjoy contributions from local artists and delicious house roast coffee in the hip street sidebar, or interact with the street scene below from your own balcony or the communal rooftop terrace.
You can help yourself to sweet treats from one of the giant candy jars and soak up the unique spirit of NW Portland, you will definitely leave significantly hipper than you arrived!
- Address: 2025 NW Northrup St, Portland, OR 97209
- To book, check prices or availability for The [email protected] Station
22. Bluebird Guesthouse – a cute and cozy Arts and Crafts style bed and breakfast
The BlueBird Guesthouse is a lovely balance between a hotel/ B&B/ self-catering cottage situated in a sympathetically restored Arts and Crafts house in the Division/Clinton Neighbourhood of Portland…within walking distance of the cool retro boutiques and cafes of Hawthorne and a short bus/car/bike trip into central Downtown.
I loved this place which was cozy, homely, and communal, and encouraged guests to get together and be social just by its size and layout. I stayed for a week and met some great friends and was really sad to leave the peace and comfort of my little room.
Each room was named after a great American writer and my room was Ken Kesey…Thankfully it didn’t emulate the conditions of One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest but was instead a light, bright, and tranquil attic room with a skylight looking up into the stars.
I really recommend this different and quirky Portland abode if you are traveling alone on a bit of a budget, want to meet folks along the way but don’t want to be stuck in a noisy mixed dorm room. This is a home away from home, just make sure you book early as rooms are taken way in advance!
- Address: 3517 SE Division St, Portland, OR 97202
- To book, check prices or availability for the BlueBird Guesthouse
23. Society Hotel – a former sailor’s lodge turned funky budget boutique hotel
This was a such a cool and characterful place.! This gorgeous New York Style cast-iron building which dates from 1881 is rich in maritime history – in its heyday, it was a hotel for sailors and I can only imagine what kind of shenanigans occurred here…Nowadays the much-loved and exceptionally rated The Society Hotel is a sympathetically restored budget boutique hotel, located right in the center of vibrant downtown Portland in the Chinatown/Old Town area filled with quirky nightlife hub, dance clubs, and cocktail bars.
There is a choice of rooms; hostel-style bunks or simple private rooms with shared bathrooms for affordability or ensuite suites for a bit of luxury, they all offer free Wi-Fi.
I loved the stripped-down and exposed style of the hotel’s interior which includes cool wooden floors and exposed brick walls, a gorgeous collection of historical artefacts, the trendy roof deck with views of both downtown Portland and the Willamette River, and the on-site cafe which served up delicious…washed down with a craft ale in true Portland style. This hip Portland hotel is a real find if you’re a funky budget traveler!
- Address: 203 NW 3rd Ave, Portland, OR 97209
- To book, check prices or availability for The Society Hotel
24. Hotel Aloft Airport Portland – a cool and contemporary hotel a 4-minute walk from the Cascades MAX light rail station
Forget every preconception you have about airport hotels and give this one a go because it’s awesome! Yes, it’s too big to be boutique but it is certainly an innovative design hotel full of all the creature comforts and lots of hip little Portland twists!
I particularly enjoyed the bar at the highly-rated Hotel Aloft which had live music from the coolest emerging local artists almost every night I was there…and the cocktails were good too!
The room was bright, bold, and comfortable and the hotel amenities were excellent, a really pleasant surprise all round and thoroughly recommended if you’re searching for funky Portland airport accommodation!
- Address: 9920 NE Cascades Pkwy, Portland, OR 97220
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Aloft Portland
More of the best hotels to stay in Portland
- Porter Hotel – chic upscale hotel located among bars and eateries in the downtown Fountain District.
- Hotel Lucia – set in a 1909 landmark building, this chic downtown Portland hotel offers classy decor and excellent service.
- Kimpton RiverPlace Portland – a refined pet-friendly downtown hotel located on the Willamette River.
- KEX Hotel Portland – a quirky and trendy hostel located in the upbeat Kerns neighborhood.
- Woodlark Hotel – a sophisticated luxury hotel in Portland’s hip downtown.
- Hi Lo Hotel, Autograph Hotel – a Millennial-friendly hotel that aims to capture the best of both ‘high‘ and ‘low‘ cultures.
- The Benson Portland – a popular luxury historic hotel located a short walk to the Pearl District.
We also have posts on…
- Cool Boutique hotels in San Francisco
- Cool Boutique hotels in Seattle
- Cool Boutique hotels in Santa Barbara
- Cool Boutique hotels in Los Angeles
- Cool Boutique hotels in Cannon Beach
- Cool Boutique hotels in Tacoma
- Cool Boutique hotels in Salt Lake City
- Cool Boutique hotels in San Diego
- Cool Boutique hotels in Carmel
- Cool Boutique hotels in Reno
- Cool Boutique hotels in Sacramento
- Cool Boutique hotels in San Jose
- Cool Boutique hotels in Vancouver
- Cool Boutique hotels in Santa Cruz
- Cool Boutique hotels in Napa Valley
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bend
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Oregon Beach
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Edmonton
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Spokane
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Leavenworth
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Friday Harbor
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Boise
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Mendocino
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Eugene
- Romantic hotels in Portland
- The most beautiful places to visit in Oregon
Beth was born under a wandering star, with drama in her veins and ink in her pen. After stints studying theatre in Dublin and Utrecht she used her creative streak to see as much of the world as she could on as little money. She toured Italian Schools with a children’s theatre troop, lived as an au-pair in both Rome and Washington DC, explored the British countryside, worked her way through much of Europe, Salsa danced in Cuba and road tripped down America’s west coast where she discovered her spiritual home; Portland, Oregon. In between adventures she resides peacefully with her family, cats and ukulele.