Overflowing with architectural treasures, atmospheric neighborhoods, inventive restaurants and hip boutiques – the city that never sleeps is easily one of the most exciting places to visit on the planet.
With a diverse population of larger-than-life characters, raw energy like no other city in the world and an intense passion for creativity, many hotels in the Big Apple are nothing short of spectacular. If you’re planning a trip and want to find a unique, trendy and extraordinary place to stay, from intimate boutiques to modern high rises, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in New York (in no particular order, they’re all awesome)…
1. Hotel on Rivington – a sleek, glass high-rise SoHo hotel often mentioned as being one the sexiest hotels in NYC
Housed in a 20-story glass tower near trendy SoHo in Lower East Manhattan (just one block from the subway and within walking distance of Tribeca, Nolita, Little Italy, and the East Village), this sleek, chic and ultra-cool New York hotel was once voted NYC’s sexiest hotel – which given the competition is quite an accolade!
A fabulous Soho hotel in New York City, the spacious minimalist rooms at the 4-star highly rated Hotel on Rivington offer Tempur-Pedic beds adorned with Frette linens, free WiFi, flat-screen TVs with on-demand movies and feature gorgeous floor-to-ceiling windows which afford extraordinary views of the Manhattan skyline. For upgraded rooms also expect to make use of balconies and sumptuous Japanese-style soaking tubs.
Don’t leave without checking out the hip Mediterranean restaurant with outdoor dining, the funky juice bar, the very cool tequila and mescal bar which also doubles as a late-night lounge with potent cocktails and DJs, and the beautiful sky-lit atrium. A gorgeous LES hotel that will most definitely leave a lasting impression!
- Address: 107 Rivington St, New York, NY 10002
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel on Rivington New York
2. YOTEL New York – a cool, futuristic and Insta-worthy Japanese-inspired hotel in a great central Manhattan location
So you’ve scoffed cucumber rolls at YO! Sushi, now you can stay at the YO! Hotel. Yes seriously. Fun, funky, and highly innovative, just like the Japanese culture which inspired it, the highly-rated YOTEL is a great unique NYC accommodation choice for fans of technology and design…and the young at heart.
Located in lively Times Square, the hip central New York hotel aims to offer a first-class hotel stay in the center of all the action without the designer price tag – think space-age minimalism combined with futuristic technology and a quirky hotel decor unlike you’ve ever seen before!
One of the most popular Midtown west hotels, cabins feature motorized beds (which transform into sofas), a ‘techno wall’ with a flat-screen TV, a work desk with iPod connectivity, sublime city views, free WiFi, and local phone calls. Opt for an upgraded room and you’ll find private terraces, soaking tubs, and sofas.
Other fun features include automated check-in kiosks, self-service amenity machines on each floor, and a fun rooftop terrace that functions as a restaurant and nightclub. Both gadget and style aficionados will equally love this New York hotel!
- Address: 570 Tenth Avenue At, W 42nd St, New York, NY 10036
- To book, check prices or availability for YOTEL New York
3. Moxy NYC Chelsea – a popular and reasonably priced trendy central hotel which blends botanically inspired design with Italian romance
One of the best hotels in Chelsea NYC, this hip botanical-themed hotel in Midtown Manhattan enjoys a fabulous central location in New York’s Flower District. Being just a short walk away from 28th St Station, Broadway, and Madison Square Gardens, The Moxy NYC Chelsea is well-positioned for traveling all over the city.
The gorgeous hotel beautifully fits into the style of the neighborhood and features floral decor with a traditional twist and has quickly become one of the most popular accommodation options in the city. Modern elements offset the classical botanical themes to give guests a luxurious feel with subtle lighting and upscale service.
The bedrooms have a cool ‘New York Loft’ industrial style and the floor-to-ceiling windows offer truly incredible views of the city’s famously gasp-inducing skyline (which includes the neighboring Empire State Building)!
- Address: 105 W 28th St, New York, NY 10001 and 485 7th Ave, New York, NY 10018
- To book, check prices or availability for Moxy NYC Chelsea or Moxy Times Square
4. Standard High Line – views, glamour, and partying with the beautiful people…
Sleek, glossy, stylish, and attracting trendy types by the bucket load, the uber-glamorous 4-star and exceptionally rated Standard High Line offers both cool minimalist interiors and spectacular cityscape and river views.
One of the stand-out Greenwich village hotels, the striking 18-story tower rises above the High Line urban park (a former elevated train track) within a stone’s throw of the Meatpacking District nightspots, the West Village, Chelsea Market, and the subway.
Other stand-out features at this wonderful modern New York party hotel include a roof terrace with a hot tub, floor-to-ceiling windows in the retro-modern rooms, a German beer garden, rooftop crêperie (which turns into a club at night), free bicycles on loan, and even cheeky exhibitionist bathrooms! A hotel to impress!
Alternatively, opt for their hip sister hotel which is one of the coolest East Villages hotels.
- Address: 848 Washington St, New York, NY 10014 and 848 Washington St, New York, NY 10014
- To book, check prices or availability for The Standard Highline or The Standard East Village
5. The Box Hotel – a beautiful cool hidden gem offering an authentic local Brooklyn NYC experience
This is one of the most endearing and unique places to stay in New York and in a city like the Big Apple that’s saying something! Housed in a converted factory, the now very polished 4-star and exceptionally rated Box Hotel has suitably very cool industrial-chic interiors.
The hotel is adorned with artwork commissioned by local artists and other great design features such as hardwood floors and pendant lamps. Most of the rooms are actually more like apartments – just extremely visually striking ones – and the loft rooms and 1- to 2-bedroom apartments have fully equipped kitchens, cozy living rooms, and pull-out couches.
There are suite-like bedrooms also available and all benefit from free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, coffee-making facilities, balconies offering some superb city views as well as a communal gym, a dry sauna, and a steam room.
As well as being a very hipster-friendly New York abode, its location is pretty funky too, it’s based just across the road from Pulaski Bridge in Brooklyn, only a 9-minute walk from the Greenpoint Avenue subway station and 6 miles from the Empire State Building.
There’s even a shuttle service to the subway (which takes you easily into Manhattan) in a 1970s checker cab!
- Address: 77 Box St, Brooklyn, NY 11222
- To book, check prices or availability for The Box Hotel New York
6. Hotel Hugo – a trendy SoHo lifestyle boutique hotel and its very hip rooftop bar is a great place to party
This is a gorgeous and very popular boutique hotel which mixes “contemporary luxury with bohemian chic.” Set in an art-industrial landmark hotel in the enterally popular SoHo district, interiors are very hip with hardwood floors, contemporary photography, glossy walnut accents, and Mid-century modern furnishings.
One of Hotel Hugo’s highlights includes the incredible glass-enclosed rooftop bar which serves up tasty cocktails and tacos, with panoramic river and city views – this is a beautiful place to party in New York.
Other great features include an exercise room, their onsite Italian restaurant where tables spill out onto Greenwich Street sidewalk, Café Hugo which serves seasonal farm-to-table fare, and its close proximity to many of the city’s most sought-after sights.
- Address: 525 Greenwich St, New York, NY 10013
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Hugo New York
7. Arlo SoHo – this ultra-hip micro boutique hotel is one of the best places to stay in New York
We all know that the best things come in small packages and the 4-star exceptionally rated Arlo SoHo is a perfect example of this! It’s billed as a micro-boutique hotel and set in one of the trendiest locations in town, just two blocks from the stores and restaurants of SoHo, central Manhattan, and within easy walking distance of other fabulous neighborhoods such as Tribeca and Greenwich Village.
One of the best hotels in Soho Manhattan, the cabin-style rooms are thoughtfully – and uniquely – laid out and combine contemporary furniture such as solid-walnut alcove beds, with handy efficient storage spaces and a range of playful touches (including some great tech)! Upgraded rooms feature large outdoor terraces.
Other hotel highlights include supping on cocktail and craft beers on the very cool rooftop bar, sinking into a sheepskin-clad sofa or ergonomic armchair in the onsite library, or feasting on fine international fayre in the 24-hour artisan pantry Bodega. Alternatively, Arlo is another fabulous boutique hotel in New York also has an equally funky and cool NoMad neighborhood hotel version – a tough choice!
- Address: 231 Hudson St, New York, NY 10013 and 11 E 31st St, New York, NY 10016
- To book, check prices or availability for Arlo SoHO or Arlo NoMad
8. The Jane – bellhops and stuffed monkeys located on the edge of the hip Meatpacking District
Staying at highly regarded and much-loved The Jane is an experience in itself. Located on the edge of the Meatpacking District’s nightlife hub (and only six blocks from High Line park and a subway stop) the vintage-style budget boutique hotel has a quirky, time-warp feel which features rooms endearingly inspired by old-fashioned train cabins.
One of the most popular Greenwich village hotels, in 1912 the hotel sheltered survivors of the Titanic, in the 1920s it became a haven for sailors, and then it was lovingly restored on its centennial in 2008. Each compact cabin/room comes with modern amenities like free Wi-Fi and iPod docks and all rooms have either Hudson River views or terraces.
One of the stand-out West Village hotels, larger upgraded rooms are also available and there’s a popular onsite restaurant which is a local’s favorite for brunch, and an opulent Victorian-style lobby bar that also doubles as a hipster hotspot.
The decor is exceptionally unique with authentic old-school bellhops, maids in black and white uniforms, carved moose heads, and stuffed monkeys adorned with fez hats! The result is easily one of the most intriguing and coolest hotels in New York.
- Address: 113 Jane St, New York, NY 10014
- To book, check prices or availability for The Jane Hotel New York
9. The Paper Factory – a unique, cool and creative hotel housed in a former paper factory perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Located just two stops from Midtown Manhattan, this 4-star and exceptionally rated hip New York boutique hotel started life as a paper factory and celebrates, rather than hides, its industrial past.
The Paper Factory – located in a funky part of Long Island City, only a 2-minute walk to the subway – was opened by the developer Gal Sela in December 2013 and the trendy New York accommodation features reclaimed wood ceilings, bare cement floors and unique furnishings like floor lamps constructed from plumbing pipes, kitsch British phone booths in the lobby and 1950s-style teal-green mini-fridges in the bedrooms.
To add to the coolness, you’ll also find a lively Mediterranean-Latin fusion restaurant and even the fashionable nightspot Mundo, which relocated from Astoria last November.
- Address: 37-06 36th St, Long Island City, NY 11101
- To book, check prices or availability for The Paper Factory New York
10. The Ludlow Hotel – quintessential New York cool on the Lower East Side
The 4-star exceptionally rated Ludlow Hotel is located right in the heart of one of the coolest neighborhoods in NYC. The Lower East Side of Manhattan has risen over the years from a slum to an urban center of arts, boutique shopping, and dining and is only a minute’s walk from the subway and 2 miles from the Empire State Building.
Easily one of the hippest hotels in New York and one of the best Lower East Side hotels, it reflects the cool urban environment that surrounds it and feels like a beat poet just left the room whenever you walk in! Sophisticated artwork, vintage furnishings, and boutique detail make it an awesome place to spend some time.
Not to mention the delicious French-inspired fare on offer at the in-house restaurant ‘Dirty French.’ Faux fur, floor-to-ceiling windows, rainfall showers, city views, fabulous mod cons, industrial chic, and a classic New York experience…this place is a dream!
- Address: 180 Ludlow St, New York, NY 10002
- To book, check prices or availability for The Ludlow Hotel
11. Margaritaville Resort Times Square – this fun but chic island-themed hotel in a great central NYC location is a great place to party
One of the best hotels in Times Square, this is a seriously fun but new stylish hotel that features a colorful but relaxed island-inspired design but with a location in the heart of the city.
Decor at the wonderful Margaritaville Resort includes surfboards, palm trees, and parasols, and a cool outdoor heated swimming pool which offers great views over Times Square, so quite the perfect party place!
Other onsite amenities include no less than five restaurants and bars, a retail store, a fitness center (to get yourself beach, or pool, ready of course!) a laundry/valet service, and all that coupled with a ‘no worries’ vibe which makes the Margaritaville a truly unique place to stay in New York.
- Address: 560 7th Ave, New York, NY 10018
- To book, check prices or availability for Margaritaville Resort Times Square
12. M Social Hotel Times Square New York – a trendy contemporary design hotel perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
A hotel perfect for millennials, this upbeat and colorful hotel epitomizes the buzzy Times Square surroundings. The style at the M Social Hotel Times Square New York is contemporary with creative, quirky details, and the lobby and other shared spaces offers some wow-inducing modern design and feature floor-to-ceiling glass windows.
Other highlights include the cutely named Beast & Butterflies restaurant and bar which serves up world cuisine and signature drinks.
Just like its name suggests, there’s definitely an emphasis on being social here so not only will you have instant access to centrally located New York attractions you may make some new friends too!
- Address: 226 W 52nd St, New York, NY 10019
- To book, check prices or availability for M Social Hotel Times Square New York
13. Selina Chelsea – an ultra-chic zen-like hotel located in the hip Chelsea neighborhood
Located in the heart of Manhattan’s art gallery-strewn Chelsea district (a 6-minute walk from High Line park and a 10-minute walk from a subway station), the ultra-chic and highly rated 4-star New York hotel rocks a modern minimalist style.
With more than a nod to Japanese culture, all 56 rooms at Selina Chelsea New York City are very zen-like and feature wooden platform beds, bean bag chairs, iPads (which are loaded with handy recommendations for the best local galleries, restaurants, and shops), fabulous city views and handmade denim bathrobes.
Easily one of the best hotels in Chelsea, opt for a more expensive room in this gorgeous hip hotel and you’ll even find a sumptuous Japanese-style soaking tub. On the rooftop, in summer you’ll find a trendy outdoor pool that transitions into the concept restaurant Arriba during the winter months – genius!
- Address: 518 W 27th St, New York, NY 10001
- To book, check prices or availability for Selina Chelsea New York City
14. CitizenM Hotel – a fun, funky and full of color place to stay in Times Square
This hugely popular Dutch hotel group brings its own brand of affordable, luxury cool to New York. Funky, edgy with a liberal use of color in the decor, you’ll find this fabulous 4-star and exceptionally rated Manhattan hotel to be anything but boring. Its location is equally superb too and is based on the corner of Broadway just an 8-minute walk to Times Square and an 11-minute walk to Central Park.
All of the bright, stylish rooms at CitizenM feature free movies, Wi-Fi, a rain shower, huge windows, a comfy king-sized bed, and a cool MoodPad gadget – a touch-screen device that allows guests to control the room’s impressive array of electronics!
Just make sure you don’t leave without grabbing a cocktail or two while drooling over the gorgeous cityscape views from their wonderful rooftop bar or trying out their breathtaking 20th-floor gym – easily one of the coolest hotels in New York!
- Address: 218 W 50th St, New York, NY 10019, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for CitizenM New York
15. Made Hotel – a gorgeous boho Manhattan design hotel located in the trendy NoMad district
With a clever play on words, this is a place where you will really feel ‘made’ if you stay! Nestled amongst all the fabulous bars and eateries of the ultra-hip NoMad neighborhood, Manhattan – only a 2-minute walk to the nearest subway station and a 7-minute walk from the Empire State Building – is this ultra-hip New York hotel.
The decor at the highly-rated 4-star Made Hotel is suitably fabulous for this part of town and features raw-material interiors including industrial-chic concrete ceilings and lashings of real wood embellished with oversized floor-to-ceiling windows (offering superb views of either the NoMad neighborhood or the Empire State Building), bohemian fabrics and bronze fixtures.
The gorgeous rooms feature free Wi-Fi, smart radios, flat-screen TVs, and oak platform beds that provide hidden storage. This is a hotel chock full of delectable highlights including a basement restaurant serving up seasonal veg and an onsite coffee shop which also doubles as a hangout for NoMad’s creative set.
Arguably though, the biggest stand-out feature is the killer rooftop cocktail bar which serves up tiki-style drinks with a large helping of panoramic city views which includes the Empire State Building – pure trendsetting bliss!
- Address: 44 W 29th St, New York, NY 10001
- To book, check prices or availability for Made Hotel New York
16. Dream Downtown – an extraordinary and very Instagrammable party hotel in a hip central Manhatten location
The 4-star, highly rated, and very cool Dream Hotel Downtown is nothing short of spectacular. Located in a fabulous location between the Meatpacking District and Chelsea in Downtown Manhattan (close to a subway and a 4-minute walk from The High Line).
It’s a sort of luxury liner/maritime-themed haven in the middle of all the action with amazing amenities, spectacular views and a glass-bottomed infinity pool that floats above the hotel lobby – which gives both swimmers and arriving guests utterly unique views.
The loft-style rooms are spacious and luxurious with very cool porthole windows offering amazing views out over the city, and they also feature huge flat-screen TVs, luxurious linens, and free WiFi. Upgraded rooms offer HDTV projectors and surround-sound systems and suites have landscaped terraces with hot tubs – pure bliss!
Other hotel highlights include a rooftop lounge, a fusion restaurant serving Japanese and French cuisines, boutique shopping the lobby, a 24-hour fitness center, and a beach (and even a beach club!) surrounding that amazing pool. Staying at this trendy New York hotel was a wonderful immersive treat of an experience that truly was very dream-like!
Easily one of the stand-out and very Instagrammable hotels in the Meatpacking district.
- Address: 355 W 16th St, New York, NY 10011
- To book, check prices or availability for Dream Hotel Downtown
17. Henn na Hotel New York – a quirky, modern and whimsical hotel in a great central location which features a funky dinosaur and acclaimed Japanese cuisine
The future is here and you’ll find it at the Henn na Hotel in midtown Manhattan. Part of the Hudson Yards revival, the tech-themed hotel combines luxury with innovation. The quirky hotel decor includes an animatronic dinosaur at the check-in counter in the lobby.
The location is near just about everything you want to see in Manhattan – Times Square, Broadway, Fifth Avenue, Radio City, the Empire State Building and more – and there are plenty of transportation options for further destinations.
The rooms have futuristic touches like LG Styler closets that freshen up clothing, futon conditioners to regulate mattress temperature and tablets in all the rooms for guests to use. The Gosuke Akimitsu restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner in genuine Japanese style.
- Address: 235 W 35th St, New York, NY 10001
- To book, check prices or availability for Henn na Hotel New York
18. Graduate Roosevelt Island – one of the most quirky and fun places to stay in NYC perfect for partying Millenials and Gen Zs
An island of comfort and luxury but just a short hop from Manhattan and Queens, the Graduate Roosevelt Island has amazing views and one of best rooftop bars in New York City. Befitting its location on the Cornell Tech Campus, the book-filled lobby is light, bright and color-filled.
The island hotel is a good alternative to accommodations in Manhattan, and there are train, tram and ferry services that connect to the city. The rooms combine futuristic decor with Roosevelt Island history captured in sepia-tinted photographs, and they all have stunning views of the East River and beyond. A great choice for a party hotel with a youthful vibe!
- Address: 22 N Loop Rd, New York, NY 10044
- To book, check prices or availability for Graduate Roosevelt Island
19. Freehand Hotel New York – a hipster-friendly hotel which features art by local students located in the trendy Flatiron District
The Freehand Hotel has that cool hipster-friendly New York City boho vibe, and puts you right in the heart of the Flatiron district. It’s within easy reach of the city’s fabled museums, bars, restaurants, shopping, art galleries and the High Line district, and connects you to the city’s lively art scene as well.
The building dates back to the 1920s and has been lovingly renovated and added to, so you’ll find chandeliers, molded ceilings, parquet flooring and Jacobean features side-by-side with ‘70s-style avocado colored bathroom tiles and contemporary touches like brightly-colored walls and cozy designer rugs.
The highly Instagrammable hotel has artwork literally covering the walls, much of it from Bard College art students and available for purchase. You don’t have to go far to find food, drink and music, with a fine selection of bars and restaurants in the hotel itself that attract a hip crowd of locals and visitors.
- Address: 23 Lexington Ave, New York, NY 10010
- To book, check prices or availability for Freehand Hotel New York
20. W Times Square – a sophisticated and fun celebrity haunt and one of the best Times Square hotels
The W hotels enjoy a reputation as being one of the most prestigious brands around and this central, highly-rated Times Square located version is one of the most popular hotels in the city.
Furnished to an exceptional standard, at this luxury 4-star very cool Manhattan hotel (which is located just 2 minutes from a subway) you can expect slightly futuristic sleek, and chic interiors with opulent extras such as plush robes, high-thread-count linens, sublime city Times Square views and cutting-edge technology available at your fingertips.
Also expect some cool amenities such as a gym, a well-regarded Mexican and sushi restaurant, a lounge where you can kick back and take in the dulcet tones of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, and Dizzy Gillespie, and a pretty swanky cocktail bar. Oh, and pets are welcome too! Fabulous!
Alternatively, book into its cool sister hotel which is one of the best Union Square hotels in Manhattan.
- Address: 1567 Broadway, New York, NY 10036
- To book, check prices or availability for the W Hotel Times Square or W New York Union Square
21. Hotel 50 Bowery, part of JdV by Hyatt – an award-winning hipster-friendly NYC boutique hotel located in lively Chinatown
Perfectly in keeping with Lower East Side’s cool credentials is this new hotel catered towards local and visiting hipsters. The design is a trendy industrial chic, think exposed Edison light bulbs, concrete pillars, and exposed brick juxtaposed with stylish touches such as high-quality furniture colorful modern artwork. Cute fortune-style cookies and iced Chinese tea is served in the lobby – a nod to its surrounding neighborhood!
The guest rooms at Hotel 50 Bowery New York are comfortable, spacious, and impeccably designed with some quirky features and gorgeous floor-to-ceiling windows.
There are some other great stand-out features too including a second-floor permanent exhibition from the Museum of Chinese in America called The Heart of Chinatown, a trendy rooftop bar offering fine city views, and a 24/7 gym. Its close proximity to many iconic Manhattan attractions makes it even more enticing!
- Address: 50 Bowery, New York, NY 10013
- To book, check prices or availability for the Hotel 50 Bowery New York
22. Roxy Hotel – a hip hotel art deco style hotel located in the buzzy Tribeca district
Everyone seems to love this place and I did too! Located in historic Tribeca the richest area in Manhattan (and close to SoHo, the Hudson River, and a subway), the 4-star and exceptionally rated Roxy Hotel is literally like being in a dream for me…a fusion of 1960’s inspired décor and the magic of the movies with meticulous attention to detail and unrivaled service.
My room was like being on the set of Mad Men, a brown and gold luxury boudoir with vintage style furnishings, kitsch 1960’s radio, and Marshall Amp.
The cool cocktail lounge, funky restaurant, and chic lobby bar feature vintage leather booths and quirky accessories sat in a warm space with exposed original brick walls and marble floors.
The Django is a cool basement jazz bar with authentic prohibition vibes and there was a wealth of live acts and vinyl spinning DJs providing cool tunes and entertainment for the whole time I was there.
By far my favorite thing though is the Roxy Cinema…an intimate nod to old-style Hollywood glamour where you can watch a curated selection of old classics and new independent flicks whilst sipping craft cocktails and reveling in the ultra-cool vibes of the place! I honestly wanted to move in and stay in this wonderful retro bubble forever – easily one of the best Tribeca hotels!
- Address: 2 6th Ave, New York, NY 10013
- To book, check prices or availability for Roxy Hotel Tribeca
23. 1 Hotel Central Park – a chic and stylish eco-conscious urban sanctuary featuring reclaimed furniture located in Midtown Manhatten
The stunning location right on Central Park is a great setting for this sustainability-themed hotel. The three-storey vertical garden, lobby farmstand, reclaimed wood furniture, hemp and organic cotton linens and moss on bathroom walls all bring the feeling of the natural world into the heart of the city.
The pet-friendly rooms at 1 Hotel Central Park have comfortable cushioned window seats with views of the Park, live-edge furniture, yoga mats and even a shower timer, besides more conventional amenities like free wireless and Bluetooth speakers.
The Jams restaurant by Chef Jonathan Waxman, who is recognized as the “Best Chef in New York City” by the James Beard Foundation, serves a seasonal menu, cocktails, and weekend brunch.
- Address: 1414 6th Ave, New York, NY 10019
- To book, check prices or availability for 1 Hotel Central Park
24. Sixty Soho – a five-star luxury chic boutique located in the trendy Manhattan’s SoHo District
This unique and chic boutique hotel is located in one of the most sought-after locations in New York. Sitting amongst all the trendy bars and restaurants in Manhattan’s SoHo District Sixty Soho offers a stylish zen-like retreat away from the buzzing streets.
The decor is sleek and contemporary and some rooms offer large four posters. Other hotel highlights include a trendy lounge, an onsite gym, exceptional 24-hour customer service, and a seasonal rooftop bar beloved by both visitors and locals and offers gorgeous city views.
- Address: 60 Thompson St, New York, NY 10012
- To book, check prices or availability for Sixty Soho New York
25. The Maritime Hotel – a unique and stylish nautical-themed hotel located in the upscale and artsy Chelsea neighborhood
Nautical means cosy luxury, and this gem of a boutique hotel in Chelsea’s Meatpacking District has that in spadefuls. The Maritime Hotel’s round porthole windows, wooden floors and paneling, and library-themed lobby with a fireplace all speak of safe harbor in the big city.
Within easy reach of the Ninth Avenue location are the fashion, food, tech, and creative hubs that draw visitors to New York, as well as the High Line Park, Chelsea, Greenwich Village and the Hudson River. There are plenty of local transportation options to take you anywhere in the city. Guests enjoy the use of complimentary bicycles as well.
The rooms have an easy layout, private terraces and views of midtown and the river.
- Address: 363 W 16th St, New York, NY 10011
- To book, check prices or availability for The Maritime Hotel
26. The Paul Hotel – a funky and creative industrial-chic hotel in a great Midtown Manhatten location
If this hotel was a Tinder date it would be considered a great catch. Funky yet affordable and located only a seven-minute stroll from the Empire State Building (and only a stone’s throw from the famous department store Macy’s), the 4-star highly rated hotel and prestigious Ascend Hotel Collection Member The Paul is one of the trendiest and most popular stays in New York.
The cool and contemporary rooms feature splashes of bright color and hip little decor details to keep things interesting – think a colorful and trendy industrial-chic vibe that is very pleasing to the eye!
They also offer free WiFi, large flat-screen TVs, premium bedding and some rooms have some pretty spectacular views of the city. Family rooms offer fun bunk beds. Don’t leave without hanging out on their wonderful rooftop terrace, trying out the fabulous gym, or just chatting with their friendly and amenable staff. The Paul Hotel we love you!
- Address: 32 W 29th St, New York, NY 10001
- To book, check prices or availability for The Paul an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
27. Hotel Hendricks – a ritzy and quirky-chic boutique-style centrally located hotel with unique decor and views of the Empire State Building
One of the coolest places to stay in midtown, Hotel Hendricks is located in the heart of the Garment District, with Herald Square, Bryant Park and Fifth Avenue just around the corner. The interiors by Marcello Pozzi combine industrial chic with safari themes, with exposed ceilings and bare concrete alongside mahogany paneling and copper decorations.
The whimsical theme of contemporary luxury is continued in the hand-blown Murano glass chandeliers and live cherry blossom trees in the lobby. The rooms too evoke the urban jungle with animal print artwork, and some have views of the Empire State Building.
In the famous Paloma restaurant with its Aztec-inspired mural by Peruvian painter Julio Granados, Chef PJ Calapa serves up a menu inspired by his childhood in Brownsville, Texas.
- Address: 25 W 38th St, New York, NY 10018
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Hendricks
28. Nolitan Hotel – a laid-back chic boutique hotel which is one of the best hotels in Manhattan
If you want to experience life like a local then it’s best to stay in one of New York’s neighborhoods. One of the most endearing (and hip) is NoLita, a boutique-laden gem of an area that is near both the cool shops of SoHo and the restaurants of Little Italy. The Nolitan is a gorgeous and popular offering home to 57 rooms with unique, hipster-friendly styling.
There are plenty of thoughtful touches too including laptop, bike, iPad, and even skateboard rentals on request, passes to a nearby health club and if you bring a pet they’ll receive a goodie bag on arrival. If the vast collection of nearby restaurants isn’t tempting enough there’s also a relaxed on-site French cafe. A great choice for a boutique hotel in an authentic location!
- Address: 30 Kenmare St, New York, NY 10012
- To book, check prices or availability for Nolitan Hotel New York
29. CIVILIAN Hotel – a hip vintage-chic Hell’s Kitchen hotel designed by a renowned architect and features work by local artists
A luxury boutique hotel in Hell’s Kitchen that’s close enough to New York’s Theater District and Times Square, the CIVILIAN gives you the keys to the city’s creative energy. Designed by an award-winning architect, the lifestyle hotel evokes the theatrical life with custom Maya Romanoff wall coverings and photos of Broadway stars.
Rooms have vintage details like plush velvet curtains and dramatic four-poster beds with Jim Thompson pillows. Best of all, you can bring your pets with you.
The two lounges continue the theatrical theme with reclaimed brick, adjustable stage lighting, art exhibits, theater props, costumes, and even a library. Make this your base to explore the surrounding neighborhoods and world cuisines.
- Address: 305 W 48th St, New York, NY 10036
- To book, check prices or availability for CIVILIAN Hotel
30. Sixty LES – a trendy downtown Manhattan design hotel with a rooftop pool located in New York’s trendy Lower East Side
The LES in Sixty LES stands for Lower East Side, the trendy Manhattan neighborhood within walking distance of Little Italy and Greenwich Village. Or you can hop on a train at the 2nd Avenue station, to explore the city.
The hip luxury hotel has a pop culture theme with Jim Walrod design features and the iconic photographs of urban landscapes by Lee Friedlander. The rooms with floor-to-ceiling windows and private terraces have sweeping views of the city and come equipped with gourmet snacks and luxury toiletries.
In the hotel, you’ll find a rooftop swimming pool and social club called Make Believe, a sushi restaurant, and that perennial New York favorite, a beer garden.
- Address: 190 Allen St, New York, NY 10002
- To book, check prices or availability for Sixty LES Manhattan
31. Sohotel – a cute mid-range boutique in a fabulous Lower East Side Manhatten location
Sohotel is a highly regarded 3-star boutique NYC hotel located in Lower East Side Manhattan, only a stone’s throw from all the fabulous restaurants and buzzing life of Little Italy (and only a very short distance to a subway station).
Dating from the 19th century and featuring a fabulous redbrick facade, it offers a wide range of uniquely decorated room types and all the usual modern facilities you’d expect from a boutique hotel, but without the huge designer price tag.
The decor is exceptional for the price and comes with a retro/modern vibe – think dark woods, stylish exposed brickwork, and lashings of animal print furnishings. All rooms offer free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, and iPod docks and there’s also an onsite upscale pizzeria/wine bar, a craft brewpub, and a cool cocktail bar. A great choice for travelers who want a chic New York stay without breaking the bank!
- Address: 341 Broome St, New York, NY 10013
- To book, check prices or availability for Sohotel Manhattan
32. The Ace Hotel – a hip hotel and cultural hub in the NoMad neighborhood
This exceptionally rated 4-star contemporary boutique New York hotel caters to a young, creative, and bohemian crowd. Located in the trendy NoMad neighborhood, just a 2 minute walk from a subway station and a 7-minute walk from the Empire State Building, The Ace originated through clever collaborations with local designers, artists, and independent businesses.
The result has often been likened to staying in your coolest friend’s townhouse basement and of course, has a legendary atmosphere that’s hard to beat. Rooms feature DJ turntables, guitars, Smeg mini-bars, and scrawl-able chalkboard walls, ensuring a stay like no other!
There’s a variety of rooms on offer, ranging from a budget bunk bedroom to a large and very impressive corner suite and there’s also an onsite cool bar, trendy restaurant, and even an art gallery. For plenty of fun and funky style without the designer price tag, the fabulous Ace hotel won’t disappoint.
- Address: 20 W 29th St, New York, NY 10001
- To book, check prices or availability for The Ace Hotel New York
More cool, unusual, and unique hotels in New York
- The Refinery – A former hat factory and Prohibition-era tea room turned ultra-cool hotel close to Times Square.
- Hotel Indigo Lower East Side – Unique and arty hotel in the cool part of town.
- Andaz Wall Street – This sleek and sexy high-rise is one of the best Fidi hotels.
- Seton Hotel – a quaint and quirky Murray Hill boutique hotel in East Midtown housed in a historic 1930s-era apartment house.
- Ink 48 Hotel – a contemporary Midtown west hotel set in a former printing factory.
- The Greenwich Hotel – one of the best Tribeca hotels with stylish decor, Italian dining, and a spa.
- NYLO Hotel – An ultra-trendy mid-range hotel located in Rhode Island.
- 11 Howard – a Scandi chic luxury five-star New York hotel close to Little Italy and SoHo.
- Arthouse Hotel – This fashionable offering is one of the best Upper Westside Hotels.
- Sanctuary Hotel – An alluring boutique hotel a short stroll from Times Square.
- Gardens Suites Hotel by Affinia – Themed and stylish accommodation perfect extended stays, is one of the best Upper East Side Hotels.
- Conrad Hotel – Sophisticated luxury design hotel in Battery Park with a huge atrium lobby.
- The Bowery Hotel – This hip hotel with an old-world look is one of the best East Village hotels.
- The Library Hotel – This stylish book-themed hotel is one of the best Murray Hill hotels.
- Arlo Midtown – this chic and trendy Hell’s Kitchen accommodation is one of the stand-out Midtown West hotels.
- Chelsea Inn Hotel – A boutique motel-style hotel located on Union Square offering lower prices.
We also have posts on…
- Cool Boutique hotels in Brooklyn
- Cool Boutique hotels in Chicago
- Cool Boutique hotels in Boston
- Cool Boutique hotels in Washington DC
- Cool Boutique hotels in Philidelphia
- Cool Boutique hotels in Baltimore
- Cool Boutique hotels Atlantic City
- Cool Boutique hotels in Buffalo
- Cool Boutique Hotels in The Finger Lakes
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Cape Cod
- Cool Boutique hotels in Martha’s Vineyard
- Cool Boutique hotels in Denver
- Unique restaurants in NYC
- Romantic Hotels in New York
- Pet-friendly Hotels in New York
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lake Placid
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.