One of the most perfect comfort foods that won’t cost the earth either, there are plenty of spots in Portland, Oregon that serve up some tasty Southern-inspired treats.
From traditional delight-filled buckets to mouthwatering vegan alternatives so tasty you wouldn’t miss the meat versions one tiny bit, here is where you’ll find the best fried chicken in Portland, Oregon…
1. Yonder – for award-winning fried chicken in Portland
Located in Northeast Portland, Yonder is a Southern restaurant with an unpretentious interior.
The restaurant offers a variety of Southern fried chicken dishes, including buttermilk-brined Southern fried chicken, spicy fried chicken chips, popcorn chicken, Nashville hot chicken, and country-fried chicken.
The restaurant is open Wednesdays through Sundays between 4 p.m. and 9 p.m. They also offer takeaway service,
- Address: 4636 NE 42nd Ave Suite A, Portland, OR 97218, United States
- Phone Number: +1 503-444-7947
2. The Mocking Bird – incredible 100% vegan fried chicken in Portland
Located on Sandy Boulevard in Northeast Portland, The Mocking Bird is a food truck serving a great variety of American street food which serves up tasty 100% vegan food mostly in the form of comfort food.
They serve hamburgers, jalapeno burgers, steak fried, fried chicken, and grilled mac and cheese among many other dishes. They serve fried ‘chicken’ with a wide range of condiments.
They also have a great selection of traditional American desserts like American waffles. With vegan options this good you won’t miss meat at all!
They are open Mondays through Sundays from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. They offer both takeaway and delivery services.
- Address: 5235 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR 97213, United States
- Phone Number: +1 503-686-1214
- The Mockingbird Website
3. Screen Door Eastside – offers refined Southern specialties
Located on Burnside Street in East Portland, Screen Door Eastside is a bustling eatery that specializes in Southern cuisine. They have a curated selection of cocktails, comfort food, Southern entrees, and American classic food.
The eatery has a vibrant ambiance and is mostly filled with youngsters. It is a perfect place for a weekend brunch. They have a decent brunch menu with Southern dishes like buttermilk-fried chicken.
Screen Door Eastside is open every day from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. They also offer a curbside pickup service.
- Address: 2337 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97214, United States
- Phone Number: +1 503-542-0880
- Dirty Lettuce
4. Dirty Lettuce – more awesome vegan fried chicken from a popular 100% plant-based restaurant
Located on Fremont Street in Northeast Portland, Dirty Lettuce is a food shack serving Southern staples which is 100% vegan.
The popular plant-based restaurant offers alternatives to seafood and chicken as well as awesome salads.
Some of the best chicken dishes offered by Dirty Lettuce include seitan-based BBQ ribs, honey chicken bites, and simple fried chicken, all of which are served with a pile of chopped greens. They are open Thursdays through Sundays from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Address: 4727 NE Fremont St, Portland, OR 97213, United States
- Phone Number: +1 971-888-4158
- Dirty Lettuce Website
5. Basilisk – counter serving fried chicken sandwiches, fries and Kool-Aid
Located in Northeast Portland, Basilisk is a counter-serve restaurant serving legendary chicken sandwiches. The restaurant serves some of the best-fried chicken in the area.
Their fried chicken is utterly moist and comes with crispy breading, flavorsome sauce, and a well-toasted bun.
Serving up some of the best fried chicken in Portland, Basilisk is a perfect place to eat crispy treats while enjoying loud music. The restaurant has a warm ambiance and an extremely friendly staff. The food is served at communal tables or the bar.
They are open Mondays through Fridays from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. On weekends, they open at 12 p.m. They also offer takeaway and delivery services.
- Address: 820 NE 27th Ave, Portland, OR 97232, United States
- Phone Number: +1 503-234-7151
6. Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen – the Portland branch of the chain founded in 1972 in New Orleans
Located on Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard in Northeast Portland, Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen is a fast food outlet that specializes in spicy fried chicken.
The quick service restaurant offers a broad array of fried chicken entrees and sides, including chicken nuggets, handcrafted tenders, and chicken sandwiches.
They are open every day from 10 a.m. to 12 a.m. They also offer drive-through service between 10 a.m. and 12 a.m.
- Address: 5949 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Portland, OR 97211, United States
- Phone Number: +1 503-286-4489
7. Kee’s #Loaded Kitchen – a soul food restaurant in Portland
Located on Martin Luther King King Jr Boulevard in Northeast Portland, Kee’s Loaded Kitchen is a food truck serving soul food.
They serve some of the best fried chickens in Portland.
They have a sizable menu for fried chicken dishes, including steaks and chicken strips and fries. They also have an impressive selection of basic seafood.
The place is open Thursdays through Sundays from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Address: 5020 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Portland, OR 97212, United States
- Phone Number: +1 503-516-2078
8. Cider Mill & Fryer Tuck Chicken – a country-style space with an adjoining bar
Located on Capitol Highway in Southwest Portland, Cider Mill & Fryer Tuck Chicken is a rustic eatery with a homely ambience.
The restaurant specializes in traditional American food served with comfort-food appetizers. From fried chicken to chicken stews, you can enjoy chicken in all forms at this modest eatery.
The eatery also features a bar with an eclectic selection of wines, beers, and non-alcoholic drinks. They also have live music on the weekends.
The restaurant is open Mondays through Fridays between 10 a.m. and 11 p.m. On weekends, they open at 8 a.m. They also have happy hours on weekdays between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. They also offer takeaway service.
- Address: 6712 SW Capitol Hwy, Portland, OR 97219, United States
- Phone Number: +1 503-246-7737
9. Lighthouse Restaurant & Bar – a restaurant and bar serving scratch-made food, craft beer, and delicious cocktail
Located on Port Comfort Road, Lighthouse is an elegant waterfront eatery serving unique fried chicken recipes. With a large dining lounge and an expansive patio, Lighthouse is a perfect place for a traditional American dinner. The restaurant has a warm and relaxing ambience.
The eatery specializes in American classic food and has a curated selection of American chicken dishes. From chicken steaks to simple fried chicken to chicken stews, you can enjoy a large variety of chicken dishes at Lighthouse Restaurant & Bar.
They also have an impressive selection of seafood and excellent food and wine pairings.
Lighthouse Restaurant & Bar is open on all days of the week between 11 a.m. and 10 p.m. They have happy hours every day from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. They also offer takeaway service.
- Address: 14301 Port Comfort Rd, Fort Myers, FL 33908, United States
- Phone Number: +1 239-489-0770
10. FOMO Chicken – Korean or classic Southern preparations with gluten-free fried chicken
One of the best places for fried chicken in Portland and located in Southeast Portland, FOMO Chicken is a casual bistro offering classic Southern cuisine.
They offer unique Korean chicken dishes with rice, pickles, and coleslaw. There are also gluten-free fried chicken options available.
The place is open Thursdays through Sundays between 12 p.m. and 8 p.m. They also offer a takeaway service.
- Address: 113 SE 28th Ave, Portland, OR 97214, United States
- Phone Number: +1 503-308-0258
11. Big’s Chicken – a down-home spot offering Alabama-style fried chicken and outdoor dining
Located on Glisan Street in Northeast Portland, Big’s Chicken is a rustic restaurant serving Alabama-style fried chicken in a down-home setting.
Their menu features an eclectic array of Alabama-style food, including chicken sandwiches with white sauce, barbecue sauce fried chicken, and chicken and tamarind curry.
You can enjoy a great variety of fried chicken at this modest restaurant. They also have an expansive outdoor space. The restaurant is open every day from 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. They also offer takeaway and delivery services.
- Address: 4606 NE Glisan St, Portland, OR 97213, United States
- Phone Number: +1 971-255-0358
12. Alberta Market – a convenience store which serves up fast food
Located on Alberta Street in Northeast Portland, Alberta Market is a convenience store that also serves fast food, including fried chicken.
If you want to enjoy a perfectly tender and juicy chicken, you must try their chicken wings.
In addition to chicken wings, you can find various forms of fried chicken at Alberta Market, such as chicken breast cutlets, crispy fried chicken, honey-marinated fried chicken, parmesan garlic chicken, fried chicken breasts, and spicy fried chicken tenders.
The place is open every day from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. They only offer in-store shopping service.
- Address: 909 NE Alberta St, Portland, OR 97211, United States
- Phone Number: +1 503-282-2169
We also have posts on…
- Best Fish and Chips in Portland
- Best Food carts in Portland
- Must try foods in Portland
- Best breakfasts in Portland
Scott started his travelling life back in 1999, when he headed off on a solo jaunt to South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia with just a backpack, a camera and a spirit for adventure. After that, the travel bug bit hard and now he is always seeking to head off somewhere new. Over the years he has lived in Italy, Qatar, Ireland, UK and the US but his spiritual home will always be Rome as this is the city which most satisfies his unrelenting craving for culture, good food and great football. Scott loves nothing better than to be behind the camera and also runs his own blog and Instagram page. He also counts Melbourne, Cape Town and Tel Aviv among his favourite places. Follow him on Twitter and Instagram at @scottbalaam