With distinctive flavors, unique ingredients, and creative easy-on-the-eye dishes, Japanese food is some of the most celebrated cuisines in the world. If you live in Portland or are just visiting there are many great spots to choose from.
From casual to fine formal eateries, here are the best Japanese restaurants in Portland, Oregon…
1. Obon Shokudo – a modern casual informal restaurant serving vegan Japanese dishes, including bento, soups and noodles and offer free sushi for dogs
Obon Shokudo is an informal and contemporary Japanese restaurant in Portland. It’s worth a visit to Obon Shokudo for their delicious vegan Japanese dishes such as ramen, bento, and soups as well as their delicious Japanese comfort food.
They even offer free sushi for dogs with nori and sprouted brown rice. In return, they ask that you take a picture of your four-legged friend eating the sushi and tag the restaurant on social media.
Located in the Buckman Community Association district of Portland, you can visit Obon Shokudo Wednesdays through Mondays from 11:30 am to 9 pm. The restaurant is closed on Tuesdays.
- Address: 720 SE Grand Ave, Portland, OR 97214
- Phone Number: (503) 206-7967
2. Jade Rabbit – serves up some of the best vegan and gluten-free Japanese food in Portland
Whether you’re vegan or not, you will enjoy Jade Rabbit, which is one of the best Japanese restaurants in Portland because it serves an all-vegan menu.
Hop over to Jade Rabbit to enjoy their trademark vegan handmade dim sum. Their cutest vegan handmade dim sum is the Jade Rabbit dumplings shaped like little rabbits.
Most dim sum is gluten-free. Just look for the designated “GF” on the menu listing.
Located in the Hosford-Abernethy district, you can visit Jade Rabbit on Thursdays through Sunday from 2 pm to 8 pm. They are closed Mondays through Wednesdays.
Address: 1517 SE 10th Ave, Portland, OR 97214
Phone Number: (503) 720-0253
3. Bamboo Sushi – the world’s first certified sustainable Japanese restaurant
Back in 2008, Bamboo Sushi became known as the first sushi restaurant that serves sustainable seafood in its dishes.
Whether you are vegan or not, you will appreciate Bamboo Sushi because of their delicious vegan sushi dishes and their use of only certified sustainable seafood for their fish-based dishes.
During the holidays, the restaurant likes to offer gift card deals. You earn an extra gift card for a certain monetary amount if you reach a specific threshold purchase spent on gift cards.
Located in the Northwest District Association of Portland, you can visit Bamboo Sushi from 4 pm to 9 pm daily. Enjoy their happy hour from 4 pm to 6 pm every day where you can enjoy select discounted menu items.
- Address: 836 NW 23rd Ave, Portland, OR 97210
- Phone Number: (971) 229-1925
4. Afuri Izakaya – a cool Tokyo inspired spot known for its delicious food located in a trendy reclaimed warehouse
Afuri Izakaya offers delicious and authentic Japanese dishes such as ramen bowls for $15 and sushi for as low as $6.00 per order.
You will be amazed to visit Afuri Izakaya because of its Tokyo-themed dining experience featuring tasty robata, ramen, and sushi dishes.
Located in the Buckman Community Association in South East Portland, you can visit Afuri Izakaya daily with opening time at 4 pm on Mondays through Thursdays and opening time on Fridays through Sundays at 11:30 am.
There is another Afuri Izakaya location beside the address listed below which is the Old Town Beaverton Izakaya location.
- Address: 923 SE 7th Ave, Portland, OR 97214
- Phone Number: (971) 386-2945
5. Mirakutei Sushi & Ramen – an upmarket Japanese restaurant where you can try tasty ramen
Mirakutei Sushi & Ramen mix serving traditional and fusion Japanese dishes for a unique take on Portland’s Japanese dining experience.
Feel surprised at Mirakutei Sushi & Ramen because of their omakase option. This essentially means “chef’s choice” in Japanese.
When going to dine-in at Mirakutei, just ask for omakase to be surprised with unique and mouth-watering Japanese dishes.
It’s a surprise that will be a learning experience about Japanese dishes you may have never tried before.
Located in Portland’s Industrial District, you can visit Mirakutei daily from 12 pm to 9 pm.
- Address: 536 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97214
- Phone Number: (503) 467-7501
6. Murata Restaurant – best place for Japanese cuisine that offers great decor
Murata has been a family-owned Japanese restaurant in Portland since 1988. You will feel like you are dining at an authentic Japanese restaurant because of Murata Restaurant’s traditional decor to go with its delicious sushi and sashimi dishes.
Plan your visit to Murata Restaurant to sample their Lunch Specials and Dinner Specials that feature a variety of select seafood, sushi, and soup dishes.
More specials are available during dinner than lunch, so the best time to dine for the best value is during dinner time.
Located in Downtown Portland, you can visit Murata Restaurant Mondays through Saturdays as the restaurant is closed on Sundays.
- Address: 200 SW Market St, Portland, OR 97201
- Phone Number: (503) 227-0080
7. Shigezo Izakaya – Japanese pub fare that serves delicious authentic food
You get the best of many worlds at Shigezo with a selection of Japanese pub food and traditional and modern-day Japanese dishes.
Shigezo offers an izakaya-style dining experience which is like the Japanese version of an American pub which is a great reason on its own to visit.
You can enjoy Japanese beers, cocktails, and plates to share with family and friends.
Located in Downtown Portland, you can visit Shigezo Wednesdays through Sundays from 12 pm to 9 pm. The restaurant is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
- Address: 910 SW Salmon St, Portland, OR 97205
- Phone Number: (503) 688-5202
8. SHO – a fun restaurant where you can try some of the most delicious sushi in Portland
SHO offers a fun and customizable dining experience with a dine-in option at restaurant tables and their restaurant bar.
When ordering sushi from the sushi counter, you can watch the sushi chefs make your order live through the glass windows.
You’ll appreciate visiting SHO because of their delicious and authentic Japanese cuisine that’s homemade with seasonal and fresh ingredients.
Located in the West Portland Park neighborhood, you can visit SHO on Wednesdays through Mondays as they are closed on Tuesdays. SHO is open from 11AM to 8:30PM on Saturdays and Sundays.
The hours of operation from Wed-Fri and Mondays are 11:30AM to 2:30PM (lunch hours) and 4:00PM to 8:30PM (dinner hours).
- Address: 10100 SW Barbur Blvd, Portland, OR 97219
9. Yataimura Maru – an uptown Japanese restaurant that can cook anything from scratch
Yataimura Maru is another Japanese izakaya located in Portland that offers small plates and delicious sake where you can “Drink More! Eat More!” as their slogan says.
Get the freshest seafood experience at Yataimura Maru when you eat their sashimi created from breaking down entire fish that’s been locally sourced.
Try their handmade noodles and hand-rolled gyoza as well if you get the chance!
Located in the Richmond neighborhood of Southeast Portland, you can visit Yataimura Maru on Wednesdays through Mondays from 1 pm to 10:30 pm, except the closing time is 9:30 pm on Sundays.
- Address: 3810 SE Division St, Portland, OR 97202
- Phone Number: (503) 841-5527
10. Yama Sushi & Izakaya – a lovely Japanese cafe that offers creative sushi rolls
Yama Sushi & Izakaya is known as one of the best Japanese restaurants and sushi bars in Portland. While they change their menu based on seasonal offers, sushi chefs always keep fish sushi and vegetarian/vegan sushi options plentiful for every sushi lover.
This is another Portland-based Japanese restaurant that will offer you a fresh seafood experience because of their fresh fish that comes from the Sea of Japan and the Atlantic Ocean. The restaurant’s fish-based sushi rolls are much more delicious because of this fresh fish.
Located in the Hosford-Abernethy district, you can visit Yama Sushi & Izakaya daily from 11:30 am to 2:30 pm and 5 pm to 10 pm as they are closed for two and a half hours during the day to prepare for the dinner rush.
- Address: 2038 SE Clinton St, Portland, OR 97202
- Phone Number: (503) 231-2859
11. Sushi Ichiban – one of the best conveyor-belt Japanese restaurants that sell great vegan and veggie options
Sushi Ichiban is one of the best Japanese restaurants in Portland for its great vegan and veggie options.
Fill up on your favorite sushi on a budget at Sushi Ichiban because of their high-quality, yet affordable sushi and other appetizer plates. They have a menu of $2 plates and $2.50 plates when you order Sushi Ichiban via dine-in, Postmates, or Uber Eats.
Located in the Old Town Community Association in Portland, you can visit Sushi Ichiban on Wednesdays through Sundays from 3 pm to 8 pm. The restaurant is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
- Address: 24 NW Broadway, Portland, OR 97209
- Phone Number: (503) 224-3417
12. Koji Osakaya Japanese Restaurant – a premier Japanese restaurant that provides traditional cuisine from Osaka
Koji Osakaya has been open in Portland since 1982, serving delicious Kansai-style Japanese dishes such as sushi, ramen, rice, and meat dishes.
Experience a variety of flavorful, homemade Japanese dishes from their cold a la carte and hot a la carte menus and be amazed at the authentic taste. Choose from nigiri sushi, tempura, noodle dishes, and rice dishes.
Located in Sullivan’s Gulch neighborhood in Axcess 15 Apartments, you can visit Koji Osakaya on Tuesdays through Sundays from 11:30 am to 2:30 pm and 4:30 pm to 8:30 pm. The restaurant is closed on Mondays.
- Address: 1502 NE Weidler St, Portland, OR 97232
- Phone Number: (503) 280-0992
13. Masu Sushi -an awesome Japanese restaurant perfect to dine-in or take-out
Masu Sushi won OpenTable’s Diners Choice Award in 2014, even though it is located in a modest second-floor spot in Downtown Portland.
You will love Masu Sushi because of their delicious modern Japanese dishes that are made only with the freshest local fish. Choose from sushi, maki, fresh Japanese salads, tempura, delicious soups, and more.
You can dine-in at Masu Sushi daily from 5 pm to 9:30 pm. You can order take-out from 12 pm to 10 pm daily.
- Address: 406 SW 13th Ave, Portland, OR 97205
- Phone Number: (503) 221-6278
14. Saburos | Sushi House Restaurant – an outstanding Japanese restaurant that provides exciting and wonderful food both generous and affordable to all
Saburo Nakajima opened the Saburo’s family-owned restaurant in 1988 with a vision to offer quality and affordable Japanese dishes for everyone.
Get ready to have your sushi craving satisfied at Saburos because of their trademark jumbo nigiri rolls. Delight in their fresh and hand-crafted sushi, sashimi, rolls, crunchy rolls, teriyaki, salads, and more.
Located in the Sellwood-Moreland Improvement League area of Portland, you can visit Saburo’s Mondays through Saturdays from 4 pm to 8 pm. The restaurant is closed on Sundays.
- Address: 1667 SE Bybee Blvd, Portland, OR 97202
- Phone Number: (503) 236-4237
15. Takahashi – homey restaurant highly recommended for Japanese cuisine lovers
Takahashi offers specials that rotate weekly for newcomers and regulars to enjoy a Japanese dish that they may not have tried before.
It’s worth a visit to Takahashi because of the authentic Japanese dishes they offer such as yakisoba, sushi, fried rice, and teriyaki beef. If you are looking for an affordable bite, try their small tempura plates for under $7.50 and under.
Located in the Lents neighborhood, you can visit Takahashi Wednesdays through Sundays. Operating hours on Wednesdays and Thursdays are 5 pm to 9 pm. Hours on Fridays through Sundays are 11:30 am to 2:30 pm and 5 pm to 9 pm.
The restaurant is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
- Address: 10324 SE Holgate Blvd, Portland, OR 97266
- Phone Number: (503) 760-8135
We also have posts on…
- Best Eastern European restaurants in Portland
- Best South East Asian Restaurants in Portland
- Best Greek restaurants in Portland
- Best Korean restaurants in Portland
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.