Portland may have a reputation as a city for artsy hipsters, but there is a strong sports culture as well. If you want to get loud, grab a beer and have fun with friends while watching your favorite team, here are some of the best sports bars in Portland, Oregon…
1. Portland Sports Bar & Grill – a compact sports bar offering classic pub food & drinks, plus sports TVs seating
Portland Sports Bar & Grill is what your friendly neighborhood sports dive bar would be like if it got an upgrade for the modern age. The décor is fresh and sleek, making this an attraction fit for hip Portlanders as well as jocks.
The many TV screens show plenty of games, meaning that you can probably catch whichever match you’re hoping to see.
The bar has indoor and outdoor seating for when you want to take advantage of rare nice weather in Portland.
The extensive food and drinks menu features all-American favorites done to perfection and an excellent selection of local beers, making this a good destination even if you don’t care about the game.
- 1811 S River Dr Suite #200, Portland, OR 97201
2. Spirit of 77 – a popular trendy sports bar with a huge screen, fun arcade games, upscale bar fare, craft beers and cocktails
Spirit of 77 is where Portland’s coolest kids come to catch the game. The massive screen in the downstairs area is the focus of the lofty, barn-like bar, making for a perfect game-day atmosphere.
Even if there’s not a game on (or you’re just there to provide moral support for sports-loving friends), there is plenty to do in this bar. Don’t miss out on the arcade games.
Spirit of 77 offers an upscale Portland sports bar experience. Don’t resign yourself to drinking cheap beer on tap; this bar has an excellent selection of local craft brews and cocktails.
There’s a reason why this bar is a center for Portland sports fans, particularly Trail Blazers followers.
- 500 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Portland, OR 97232
3. McGillacuddy’s Sports Bar & Grill – a sports bar offering all-you-can-eat breakfasts, bar fare, daily specials at an eatery with TVs in every booth
McGillacuddy’s Sports Bar & Grill is the perfect Portland destination for down-home fare and watching the game with the kids. For the perfect viewing experience, every booth has a TV so you won’t have to worry about someone’s head blocking your view.
Everyone will enjoy the classic Americana diner menu, including daily specials and a special bar menu.
The real draw is the all-you-can-eat breakfast, only served on weekends during NFL and NASCAR season.
It is not a buffet but a made-to-order unlimited breakfast. Don’t be too greedy during your first order — the portions are generous!
- 11133 NE Halsey St, Portland, OR 97220
4. Bucket Brigade Sports Bar & Restaurant – a relaxed sports bar with a table, screens, beers on draft, pub grub, a pool table and a patio
Bucket Brigade Sports Bar & Restaurant is a cool Portland spot that still manages to be unpretentious. It has plenty of outdoor and indoor sitting with great views of the numerous screens showing important games.
The prices are reasonable, particularly during happy hour.
Bucket Brigade has an excellent selection of drinks, particularly beers, as well as a menu based around classic American bar food. This place also has plenty of arcade games such as video poker as well as a pool table to kick around with your friends.
Worried about missing the early game? For big games that are earlier in the day, they have special opening hours.
- 8012 SE Powell Blvd, Portland, OR 97206
5. Kingston Sports Bar & Grill – a classic sports pub with pub food, many TVs and a popular happy hour
Kingston Sports Bar & Grill is one of the biggest and best sports bars in Portland. It fits 25 HD TVs in its funky triangular building. Whether you want to catch the latest NBA, MLS, NFL, MBA, or other game, it will probably be on one of the screens at Kingston.
However, this bar isn’t relying on its extensive TV selection to draw in an audience.
The fun atmosphere, excellent menu, and wide drinks selection also helped to make this place a go-to for Portland sports lovers.
Stop by for happy hour to get discounts on drinks or get a bite of classic American bar food.
- 2021 SW Morrison St, Portland, OR 97205
6. The Independent Sports Bar & Grill – a down-to-earth sports bar hangout featuring local beer on tap, American food, and lots of flat-screen TVs
If you’re looking for a space to watch the game in downtown Portland, The Independent Sports Bar & Grill is your place to go.
The sleek exterior hides an unpretentious, down-to-earth sports bar, complete with 32 HD TVs showing most major games.
This being Portland, The Independent’s drinks list is made up of craft beer and cocktails, including drinks from some of Portland’s best local breweries. The menu of pub favorites isn’t bad either!
- 225 SW Broadway #100, Portland, OR 97205
7. Satellite Tavern – a sports bar with a menu of American snacks and featuring a large patio with a horseshoe pit
Satellite Tavern is one of the best dive bars in Portland. The funky décor and layout includes a large outdoor patio complete with horseshoe fire pit, so a good time is guaranteed whether you are sitting indoors or outdoors.
Besides a great atmosphere, the Satellite Tavern is one of the best places to go in Portland for bar food with a twist.
Besides your standard burgers and hot dogs, Satellite also offers delicious tacos and other Mexican specialities.
Even the classics are made with a twist that guarantees flavor. The drinks menu is also nothing to sneeze at, with favorites that you can find around town as well as house specials.
- 5101 N Interstate Ave, Portland, OR 97217
9. The Fields Bar & Grill – a vibrant, upmarket sports bar turning out innovative American grub, plus cocktails and microbrews
If you prefer your sports bar experience to be sophisticated instead of something from the sticky-floors variety, then The Fields Bar & Grill is the place for you.
The first thing that sets this bar apart is the décor, which is sleek and modern, not your typical jerseys on the wall. The upscale dining menu, craft cocktail selection, and microbrews on tap also make this bar a cut above the rest.
However, beneath all that sophistication, this is still a friendly sports bar for the local enthusiast. Cheer along with your friends and other fans with abandon!
- 1139 NW 11th Ave, Portland, OR 97209
10. Bridge City Taproom – a spacious bar and grill with many TVs for sports offering a wide range of pub grub, desserts and drinks
Named after Portland’s many bridges, this lively bar is a great venue for sports fans of all ages.
Although it has a sophisticated selection of alcohol, including 18 microbrews celebrating the best of Portland’s brewing scene, it also has a family-friendly vibe and children are welcome to come watch the game.
There are plenty of sports at this bar. Not only does it have 16 TVs, but they can also bring out three projectors to put special matches on the big screen.
Most of the popular leagues, including NFL, NBA, and NHL, are represented.
Because no good sports bar worth its salt lets fans go hungry, Bridge City Taproom also has an extensive bar menu, including sauces made from scratch.
- 620 SE 122nd Ave, Portland, OR 97233
11. Thatcher’s – a sports bar with cushioned booths, nostalgic photos, a covered outdoor patio has breakfast and happy-hour menus
Thatcher’s Restaurant & Lounge is the place to go in Portland if you want to watch your favorite game in a retro setting. The lounge has a sleek nostalgic vibe, complete with diner-style booths and vintage photos on the wall.
However, the audiovisual setup for the games is perfectly modern with nice HD TV screens.
The menu and drinks are what you would expect from a dive bar. The real draw is the friendly atmosphere, which invites people of all stripes from the neighborhood to stop by and linger whether they care about the game or not.
- 7906 SE Stark St, Portland, OR 97215
12. Marathon Taverna – a large multi-level sports bar popular with soccer and basketball fans with many TVs, Greek food and games
Since 1994, Portland sports fans have flocked to the cavernous Marathon Taverna. This large sports bar boasts an extensive drinks list including 19 draft beers and other beverages.
Sports fans can rejoice, because there are over 20 screens showing your favorite game and pool tables to occupy you when you’re not watching.
However, the biggest draw is the food. Marathon Taverna is run by a Greek family that serves up excellent gyros, Greek platters, and burgers with a Greek twist.
This is comfort food with a Mediterranean spark and a much-needed breath of fresh air on the sports bar scene.
- 1735 W Burnside St, Portland, OR 97209
13. Paradise Sports Bar – a chilled sports bar with a friendly vibe
Paradise Sports Bar is an unassuming dive bar tucked away in Menlo Park Plaza, a strip mall.
However, visitors in the know will be rewarded with one of the most welcoming places to catch a game in Portland.
The main draw is the excellent service and friendly atmosphere that makes you feel as if you are just one of the neighbors. The affordable beer and delicious menu add to the appeal.
- 12423 NE Glisan St, Portland, OR 97230
14. Silver Dollar Pizza Co. – a neighborhood sports bar with food, drinks, and entertainment
Silver Dollar Pizza is a go-to for Portland sports fans, particularly hockey lovers who flock to this sports bar to catch the Winterhawks games.
The classic pizza and other bar food pairs well with the affordable but high-quality drinks menu that includes well drinks as well as beer.
Don’t forget to get in on the action yourself and not just observe by playing some pool or darts.
- 501 NW 21st Ave, Portland, OR 97209
15. The Century – a modern sports bar and event space
The Century is the kind of bar that you could only find in Portland. This funky venue is more than a sports bar; it doubles as a nightclub and live events venue.
However, when there is an important game on, all other plans take a backseat as the massive screens drop down from the ceiling.
Grab some classic game day food (the nachos are highly recommended) and sit in the bleachers to feel as if you are really at the game.
- 930 SE Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR 97214
We also have posts on…
- Best Dive Bars in Portland
- Best Whiskey Bars in Portland
- Best Breweries in Portland
- Best Bowling Alleys in Portland
- Best Speakeasies in Portland
- Best Gaming Bar Portland
- Best Jazz Bars in Portland
Scott started his travelling life back in 1999, when he headed off on a solo jaunt to South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia with just a backpack, a camera and a spirit for adventure. After that, the travel bug bit hard and now he is always seeking to head off somewhere new. Over the years he has lived in Italy, Qatar, Ireland, UK and the US but his spiritual home will always be Rome as this is the city which most satisfies his unrelenting craving for culture, good food and great football. Scott loves nothing better than to be behind the camera and also runs his own blog and Instagram page. He also counts Melbourne, Cape Town and Tel Aviv among his favourite places. Follow him on Twitter and Instagram at @scottbalaam