Romance can be found in pretty much every corner of this awesome Oregon city and whether you are taking a weekend break for two, a romantic anniversary getaway or just looking for creative date day, or date night, ideas, here are some of the most romantic things to do for couples in Portland, Oregon…
1. Go Ice Skating in Lloyd Center Ice Rink – a romantic and fun place to visit with your loved one
You can have a magical wintery adventure any time of the year when you go ice skating at the Lloyd Center Ice Rink. This indoor ice rink in the center of Lloyd Center shopping mall is open year-round. Bring your own skates or rent from the rink.
Stop by the recreational skate sessions with your partner for a romantic time holding hands on the ice (or helping each other up after a fall if you’re both beginners). When you’re tired of ice skating, walk around the shopping mall together.
- Address: 953 Lloyd Center, Portland, OR 97232, United States
- Lloyd Center Ice Rink Website
2. Picnic in a Park – a great romantic date idea in Portland
Sometimes, the most romantic things that you can do with a partner are also the most affordable. For a romantic retro date, go on a picnic in one of Portland’s many parks. Put together a picnic basket at the farmer’s market (or just get takeout, we won’t tell).
Luckily, you have plenty of parks to choose from for a romantic picnic. For one of the most gorgeous park landscapes, check out Laurelhurst Park and snag a spot by the lake. For a romantic view of Portland, hike up to Mount Tabor Park. Bring your own picnic blanket or snag a spot at some picnic tables.
- Address: SE 60th Ave &, SE Salmon St, Portland, OR 97215, United States
- Mount Tabor Park Website
3. Multnomah Falls – romantic activity with a picturesque view
For a romantic getaway into nature, you don’t have to go very far from Portland. Multnomah Falls is located about half an hour out of Portland, but the hustle and bustle of the city feels as if it is an entire world away when you step foot in front of the cascading falls.
Obviously, the main draw of Multnomah Falls is the waterfall itself. Multnomah Falls is Oregon’s tallest waterfall and the sight of the water cascading over 620 feet of a craggy gorge is spectacular. While you’re in the area, check out historic Multnomah Falls Lodge for a romantic dinner and gift shop visit.
- Address: I-84, Cascade Locks, OR 97014, United States
- Multnomah Falls Website
4. Visit the Oregon Symphony – Perfect idea for a beautiful first date
There’s nothing more romantic than a night of culture! Enjoy the stirring sounds of classical music that has been inspiring amorous passion for centuries by visiting the Oregon Symphony. The Oregon Symphony Orchestra performs a wide repertoire ranging from Haydn to holiday favorites to performances partnering with modern artists such as Gladys Knight.
In Portland, the orchestra performs in the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall. The historic theater building’s gorgeous interior design enhances the experience and a visit will feel like a truly special night on the town.
- Address: 1037 SW Broadway, Portland, OR 97205, United States
- Oregon Symphony Website
5. Catch a Movie at Studio One Theatres – elegance and romance all in one
Going to the movies is a classic date idea. Take it to the next level with a visit to Studio One Theatres, Portland’s most luxurious movie theater. The theatre boasts several auditoriums, all with unique décor, couches, and other details that set the experience apart from your standard sticky floors and folding chairs at the movies.
Even the refreshments are a cut above at Studio One Theatres. Instead of popcorn and soda, check out custom cocktails and gourmet snacks. The next time you want to check out the latest blockbuster in Portland, be sure to go to Studio One.
- Address: 3945 SE Powell Blvd, Portland, OR 97202, United States
- Studio One Theatres Website
6. Go Roller Skating in Oaks Park – fun activity to spend with the loved one
Oaks Park is a quaint amusement park located right in Portland. Oaks Park has many attractions, including mini-golf, games, and amusement park rides, but one of the most popular is the indoor roller rink. The perfect getaway on one of Portland’s many rainy days, the retro roller rink offers you a fun opportunity to try a new activity with your partner.
Bring your own roller skates or rent your own from the rink. Come during the regular free skate or check out one of the themed nights. The Oaks Park roller rink hosts special events for holidays such as Halloween as well as monthly gatherings such as a gay skate.
- Address: 7805 SE Oaks Park Way, Portland, OR 97202, United States
- Oaks Park Website
7. Take a Dinner Cruise – awe-inspiring suggestion for a romantic activity
Enjoy a romantic evening out and see Portland from a new perspective when you go on a dinner cruise. Different cruise operators offer trips along the Willamette River of varying lengths, meals, and times. One of the most popular is Portland Spirit.
Portland Spirit offers a dinner cruise through downtown Portland complete with an elegant three-course meal sourced from local ingredients, live music, and a private, candlelit table. A dinner cruise through Portland is the perfect way to remember an anniversary or other special event.
- Address: Near Eugene, Lane County, Oregon
- Portland Spirit Website
8. Visit the Portland Night Market – cozy spot for a romantic evening
The perfect romantic way to explore the hustle and bustle that makes Portland unique is to check out the Portland Night Market. Once a quarter, food vendors, artisans, and musicians set up shop in this unique space in the Industrial District after dark. Bring your partner and come browse the different cuisines and crafts that Portland’s finest artisans have to offer.
Whether you are planning to shop until you drop or just want to soak in the atmosphere, the Portland Night Market is the place to be. Be sure to take a moment of stillness to check out the live musicians who perform during the market, who are often some of Portland’s finest.
- Address: 100 SE Alder St, Portland, OR 97214, United States
- Portland Night Market Website
9. Take a Flying Tour Around Mount Hood – said to be Portland’s most fascinating scenic view
One of the most romantic things to do for couples in Portland, Oregon is actually located just outside the city. While the peak of Mount Hood is visible from Portland itself on clear days, one of the best ways to get a good view of the mountain is to take a flight there. Different tour operators fly out of locations near Portland to get a glimpse of Mount Hood.
Depending on your preference, you can also get a birds-eye view of some of Oregon’s other finest landmarks. For example, Envi tours take you past Multnomah Falls and the Columbia River Gorge after summiting Mount Hood.
- Address: Highway 26 & Highway 35, Hood River, OR 97031, United States
- Mount Hood Website
10. Drive to the Drive-in 99W Theatre – classic drive-in theatre for the movie lovers
If you’re the kind of person who thinks that dates in the past were so much more romantic than the modern-day, then the 99W Theatre is the place for you. This drive-in theatre in Newberg, Oregon, is the only one of its kind in the greater Portland area.
Make the trip out to Newberg for when you want to see a movie retro-style. The 99W shows double features that mix blockbuster releases with older favorites. Be sure to check out the retro snack bar.
- Address: 3110 Portland Rd, Newberg, OR 97132, United States
- 99W Theatre Website
11. Go Bowling at Grand Central Bowl – great date idea for an enjoyable time
For an active date idea, try bowling at Grand Central Bowl. Whether you are both good at the game or bad, you’re sure to have fun as you make memories.
Grand Central Bowl is the best place to bowl in Portland. Besides bowling, the venue also offers an extensive arcade with classic games such as Pac-Man. When you get hungry, the restaurant offers classic treats with a twist, such as tempura-battered cheese curds. This is not your standard bowling alley with greasy hot dogs!
- Address: 808 SE Morrison St, Portland, OR 97214, United States
- Grand Central Bowl Website
12. Play Video Games at Ground Kontrol Classic Arcade and Bar – a nostalgic place with old-school games in an innovative arcade
For a romantic evening that also satisfies your competitive spirit, check out Ground Kontrol Classic Arcade and Bar. This two-story arcade specializes in vintage video games such as pinball, Donkey Kong, Frogger, and more. Relive your favorite childhood games in a fun, modern atmosphere.
When you’re done gaming, relax with classic bar food and themed cocktails at the bar. Ground Kontrol is the perfect place to go for classic arcade fun but in a slightly elevated setting.
- Address: 15 NW 5th Ave, Portland, OR 97209, United States
- Ground Kontrol Classic Arcade and Bar Website
13. Go to DIY Bar – lovely venue for a special occasion
One of the best ways to bond with your date is to try and make something together. At DIY Bar, the two of you can try out different crafts in a fun, low-pressure setting. Get together to create the next masterpiece or bond over your collective ineptitude. Either way, you’re guaranteed to have a good time.
DIY Bar offers different craft workshops such as macramé, painting, and more. The craft and sip events also let you choose from different wines, seltzers, and other drinks to enjoy as you relax and craft. This is a unique experience that you can’t get elsewhere and will make for a night to remember.
- Address: 3522 N Vancouver Ave, Portland, OR 97227, United States
- DIY Bar Website
14. Check Out the Soaking Pool at McMenamins Kennedy School – romantic experience in a hidden gem
McMenamins Kennedy School is a luxurious hotel opened in a repurposed elementary school. You can come for a comfortable staycation with your partner or just visit for the day to check out the famous soaking pool.
The soaking pool is in a secluded outdoor courtyard that used to be the Teacher’s Lounge. You can enjoy the heated pool, surrounded by serene plants, as a day visitor for only $8 per person. Many Portland locals don’t even know about this secret hideaway, making it a perfect place for a romantic outing in seclusion.
- Address: 5736 NE 33rd Ave, Portland, OR 97211, United States
- McMenamins Kennedy School Website
15. Visit OMSI After Dark – perfect entertainment museum for couples
OMSI, or the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, is an innovative science center perfect for curious minds of all ages. Every so often, the museum opens its doors to adults only at special events called OMSI After Dark. Enjoy specialty drinks, small plates, live music, and more. Some events have different themes, so keep an eye out for ones that appeal to you.
- Address: 1945 SE Water Ave, Portland, OR 97214, United States
- OMSI After Dark Website
We also have posts on…
- Places to visit in Portland Oregon in the Fall
- Things to do in the summer in Portland
- Things to do in the spring in Portland
- Best things to do in the winter in Portland
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.