Gateway to Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park, the compact Utah city is where most adventure seekers stop and stay before heading off to explore the most stunning red rock landscapes on earth.
It’s quite a hip and quirky place with a collection of great eateries, interesting independent shops, trendy coffee shops, a microbrewery (just the one – it’s a small town!) and also don’t miss the Museum of Moab which showcases dinosaur bones and archaeological artefacts. Thinking of staying? From quirky inns to gorgeous lodges and cabins, here are some of the best cool and unusual places to stay in Moab, Utah (in no particular order)…
1. Hideout at the Rim – a charming and unique rustic-chic B&B surrounded by beautiful landscapes
Sitting just 17.4 miles from the incredible Mesa Arch, it would be difficult to find yourself anywhere that embodies the Moan experience more than Hideout at the Rim. With its rustic looks and home away from home feel, this is a hotel in Moab that hits all the right spots.
Hiking and biking trails are on the doorstep, and this is a hotel that understands its market. Comfortable, welcoming rooms are the perfect place to rest weary bodies after a day exploring the majestic trails, and with almost total lack of outside light, it’s a fantastic place to look at the stars at night.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hideout at the Rim
2. Hoodoo Moab, Curio Collection by Hilton – a trendy contemporary luxury hotel where guests can enjoy a unique view of the red rocks
Just a 3-minute drive from Rotary Park, Hoodoo is another fine hotel right at the heart of your Moab adventure. With its modern style featuring sharp lines and natural tones, Hoodoo takes away from the grandeur of the Moab rocks and gives you a fantastically comfortable space to rest and recuperate.
A restaurant, bar and lounge are there for you all day, with breakfast starting at 6am, great for those early trail starts, while the on-site spa including expert massage facilities are popular if you’ve overdone your exploration.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hoodoo Moab, Curio Collection by Hilton
3. Moab Springs Ranch – an awesome family-friendly oasis that provides magnificent cottonwood trees and a chill vibe
A true desert oasis, Moab Springs Ranch features majestic cottonwood trees, stunning accommodation and a flowing waterscape that you can sit by, swim in or just fall asleep listening to the gentle flow.
With a choice of standalone luxury bungalows or townhouses with 1, 2 or 3 bedrooms, you get a home from home with all the amenities you want and stunning views across Moan itself. With bike-in bike-out access, if you are Moab to explore the world-famous bike trails, this is the place to stay.
Eco-friendly construction and operation mean you can stay in comfort and sustainably, helping to keep Moab safe for the next generation of explorers.
- To book, check prices or availability for Moab Springs Ranch
4. Red Moon Lodge – a very unique B&B that is a sanctuary for visitors looking for a healing environment
Although just 5 minutes from the city center, Red Moon Lodge is located within the red rocks that make this area so famous. It is a circular, wooden building that offers wonderful accommodation, easy access to the trails, great views across the valley in the day and spectacular sights as night falls and the stars come out within the crystal-clear skies.
With organic gardens, natural spring water and 100% solar-powered, this is a stunning, sustainable hotel. A yoga barn for meditation and more, Red Moon Lodge is a great place to stay to find yourself, a sanctuary for those looking for a healing environment and a wonderful experience to enjoy with like-minded travelers.
- To book, check prices or availability for Red Moon Lodge
5. Hyatt Place Moab – a relaxing hotel that offers panoramic mountain views
Sitting on top of the beautiful red rocks that make Moab what it is, Hyatt Place Moab brings the high standards of service you expect from Hyatt and combines that with the relaxed, easier pace of life that Moab represents.
Rooms are wonderfully presented, and with several communal spaces that bring people together for dining and simply relaxing as the sun goes down, this is a hotel to meet and share stories of adventures out on the trails.
Outside there are pools and other water features to relax and enjoy the balmy evenings, while a fitness center can help prepare for the long walks or biking you have in mind.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hyatt Place Moab
6. Castle Valley Inn – a quirky, rustic-chic family-friendly inn surrounded by breathtaking scenic views
Sitting in a beautiful oasis of greenery, flanked by the familiar soaring red rock of Moab, Castle Valley Inn is a superb bed and breakfast stay that offers quiet, relaxed living and easy access to any of the famous Moab attractions.
With a garden hot tub that lets you soak away the day’s effort while gazing at the stars through the crystal-clear sky, or if you prefer, just watch the day go by from the comfort of a hammock, you can enjoy the very best of Moab on your doorstep, at a mor leisurely pace.
- To book, check prices or availability for Castle Valley Inn
7. Red Cliffs Lodge – a rustic exceptional resort that features a Western film museum and a Castle Creek Winery
If ever there was a hotel that lived up to its name, Red Cliffs Lodge is it. Sitting on the banks of the Colorado River itself, with the red cliffs soaring 2,000 feet into the sky behind the wooden hotel and the lodges nestled around it.
With a choice of hotel suite or stand-alone cabins, you can have the Moab experience you want in this flexible accommodation. Whichever you choose, a rustic feel and comfortable surroundings put you in the mood for adventure.
On site is a Western movie memorabilia museum, white water rafting as well as tennis courts and a swimming pool, while the best hiking and biking trails are all within easy reach. If you want to feel part of the rugged Moab environment and enjoy all the comforts of home, there is nothing quite like Red Cliffs Lodge.
- To book, check prices or availability for Red Cliffs Lodge
8. Expedition Lodge – one of Moab’s most popular motels that welcomes pets too
An eclectic, retro motel where every wall and room has a story to tell, Expedition Lodge is surrounded by the red rock of Moab and a superb place to stay when exploring this fascinating area.
You know this is something a little different when you arrive, greeted by the full-size jeep suspended under the hotel sign, 15 feet in the air, and things just continue on from there.
Smart and bright décor provides comfort and style in the rooms, the highlight being the Voyager room, with two queen-size bunk beds offering unusual sleeping for 8 people. The entire hotel is mountain bike-friendly, so if you are here for the trails, it is a great place to stay knowing your bike is safe in your room.
Made from reclaimed wood, Expedition Lodge is near to the major trails and visitor spots and is an evolving story written by those who pass through. If you want something a little different, Expedition Lodge is for you.
- To book, check prices or availability for Expedition Lodge
9. The Gonzo Inn – a charming boutique hotel where guests can enjoy an unmatched desert chic vibe
A boutique, condo-style hotel that brings desert chic to the center of town, just half a mile from the trailhead. With a choice of rooms that offer understated luxury, bike-friendly amenities including was and repair stations, and everything you need for relaxation after a day of adventure, Gonzo Inn is unique, unforgettable and a fantastic place to stay in Moab.
A saltwater pool is great for an evening swim, while a hot tub can ease tired muscles, or maybe drinks around the open fire of the outdoor lunge is more your style. If you want to embrace the laid-back vibes of Moab in style, the Gonzo Inn has everything you are looking for.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Gonzo Inn
10. Sunflower Hill Inn – a one-of-a-kind historic cedar-sided home located in the heart of Moab
A historic cedar home located just three blocks from the center of town, Sunflower Hill Inn comprises 6 individual units that embrace a rustic style with soft, comfortable furnishings and simple, uncluttered design.
Outside there is a pool to relax in, stylish outdoor dining on the patio and a secure bike storage and wash facility, perfect after a long day on the trails. Breakfast can be tailored to your individual needs with the healthy breakfast menu, whatever you need to fuel up for your day of adventure ahead, and evening meals are focused around fresh, local produce for a wonderful Moab experience.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sunflower Hill Inn
11. Sage Creek at Moab – a modern holiday home that provides a refined design
One of the newest hotels in the area, Sage Creek embraces natural materials, modern design and innovative thinking to create a unique living experience that stretches from the wonderful rooms to the outside space.
Where adventure meets luxury, Sage Creek sits in the heart of canyon country, and offers modern accommodation with sleek, minimalist lines and luxurious comfort.
Outside the spectacular pool area, open fire lounge and stunning views make it one of the most spectacular places to sit, relax and watch the beauty of Moab wash by in the evening. If you want to enjoy the best of Moab and still enjoy modern comfort and design, Sage Creek has it all.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sage Creek at Moab
12. Entrada 632 in Moab – a rustic-chic holiday home that is fully equipped, perfect for a family vacation
A wonderful vacation rental located just 7.5 miles from Mesa Arch. With a rustic yet comfortable and welcoming décor, free wifi and access to an outdoor swimming pool, it blends convenience for the trails with home-from-home luxury living.
Each unit features its own washing machine, kettle, cable Tv and kitchen, while on site services include bicycle rental and more.
For self-sufficient living that allows you to set your own timetable while you explore this incredible region, Entrada 632 offers all the home comforts you want after a day on the trails, and the flexibility to fit whatever schedule you have planned.
- To book, check prices or availability for Entrada 632 in Moab
We also have posts on…
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Salt Lake City
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Albuquerque
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Denver
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Las Vegas
- Cool Boutique hotels in Flagstaff
- Cool Boutique hotels in Sedona
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Santa Fe
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Colorado Springs
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Phoenix
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Tucson
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Reno
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Scottsdale
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Jackson WY
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Boise
Gary is an award winning full time professional photographer and videographer with too much wanderlust for his own good. Fuelled by strong coffee, you’ll often find him wandering well off hiking trails in search of interesting photographic subjects or scenery to video. Self taught and with the use of pioneering digital techniques, he quickly built up a strong client base and has worked with many prestigious organisations, including GQ, BBC, London Fashion Week, Grazia, Sky, Metro, Vogue Italia. He specialising in evocative images of people, places and cinematic videography and his goal is to make the viewer look twice and engage. As well as a penchant for good design, the ketogenic diet and Hungarian Vizslas, he also has a huge affection for Chicago, Bucharest, Scandinavia, Croatia and absolutely everywhere in Italy. Find him on Instagram @garynansome, Twitter @garynansome and his website https://garynunn.co.uk/