From take-outs and all-you-can-eat to gourmet, Chinese is one of the most-loved cuisines in the world. If you’re a local or just visiting, the foodie city of Portland has such a huge range of Chinese eateries it’s hard to know where to start!
So to help we’ve narrowed down some of the outstanding, from 100% plant-based to hand-pulled noodles (and everything in between!) here are our the best Chinese restaurants in Portland, Oregon…
1. Jade Rabbit formerly Ichiza Kitchen – a trendy and popular vegan/vegetarian Asian and Chinese restaurant
Formerly Ichiza Kitchen and Teahouse, this is a trendy and much-loved restaurant offering 100% Vegan Pan-Asian dishes including plenty of delicious Chinese dishes.
They pride themselves on offering cool modern surroundings as well as serving up non-meat ‘slowfood’ featuring mock meats, house-fermented treats, and even an oolong tea service.
They also offer all the rice and noodle staples at Jade Rabbit as well also small plates, sake and teas. Highlight dishes include the spicy ‘chicken’ and Mapo Tofu.
- 1517 SE 10th Ave, Portland, OR 97214, USA
2. XLB Chinese Food – a popular family-friendly Chinese restaurant that offers traditional and vegan, gluten-free options
This location specializes in Chinese comfort food, and it lives up to the promise big time! Enjoy shrimp dumplings on the patio, or dine in from 11 until 3 p.m., or 5 until 10 p.m. if you’re heading out for dinner.
Try the Baozi, steamed buns filled to bursting with meat or veggies, or both.
Also raved about by locals are the wok-fried noodles and popcorn chicken – both are specialities of the house. So is the Shanghai pork and shrimp platter. Located on N. Williams Avenue, XLB offers cold beer or a glass of wine with your meal, along with all the delicious food.
- 4090 N Williams Ave, Portland, OR 97227, USA
3. Szechuan Chef – a traditional All-you-can-eat Chinese restaurant
This restaurant on SW Macadam Avenue opens daily at 11 (except Mondays) and dishes up lots of traditional spicy Szechuan fare for dine-in or take out orders.
Customers savour the fresh local ingredients that go into dishes like Chong Qing hot chicken, wontons, bean jelly, Shanghai-style, and dumplings Even the every-humble green onion pancakes get a big thumbs up in online reviews.
The casual but welcoming atmosphere is cozy and inviting, so it’s the perfect place to indulge your Chinese food cravings. As well as an All-you-can-eat section they also offer vegan and vegetarian options.
- 7007 S Macadam Ave, Portland, OR 97219, USA
4. Yuan Su Vegetarian – a 100% plant-based/Vegan Chinese restaurant in Portland
One of the best choices in town if you like your Chinese restaurants to be down-to-earth, traditional and vegan!
You’ll find yourself in cozy comfortable but no fuss surroundings and the Yuan Su Vegetarian offers typical traditional Chinese dishes with lots of vegetarian and vegan options (including mock-meat versions).
They also offer takeaway and have great reviews on Google. Popular dishes include the orange chicken and the house special chow mein.
- 11140 SE Powell Blvd, Portland, OR 97266, USA
5. Shandong Chinese Restaurant – a high-quality Chinese restaurant that serves up hand-pulled noodles
This spot offers both traditional, classic Chinese fare and dishes that have a contemporary take on those recipes. Shandong has a casual, fun atmosphere, fuelled by a daily happy hour from 4 to 6 p.m.
There are plenty of meat dishes – pork and chicken are prominent on the menu – but also lots of great veggie bowls to enjoy too.
You can’t miss this restaurant on NE Broadway – just look for the big, colorful dragon that adorns the exterior. Opens daily at 11 a.m. Definitely try a dish of their hand-pulled noodles.
- 3724 NE Broadway, Portland, OR 97232, USA
6. Loving Hut Vegan Portland – an outpost of a much-loved vegan counter-serve chain which also offers tofu and mock meat dishes
This is part of an international chain of vegan Asian restaurants which have been inspired by Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for vegetarian/vegan living. The dishes at Loving Hut Portland are Asian based with plenty of Chinese cuisine options.
It serves up 100% vegan food in cozy surroundings as well as offering take-aways, desserts and non-alcoholic beverages. Popular dishes include the Happy Tofu, Sea of Love and the wonton soup.
1239 SW Jefferson St, Portland, OR 97201, USA
7. Duck House Chinese Restaurant – an authentic Chinese eatery that offers a Sichuan-focused menu
Located on SW Fifth Avenue, this spot is once again open for dine in seating, or you can pick up a selection of dishes to take home. The menu is Szechuan, so plenty of the dishes are spicy and flavorful, including the spicy beef chow fun, which you can order zingy or mild.
Locals love the fried rice, wonton chili oil and sweet and sour chicken, and the pan-fried pork buns get lots of raves, too. Open daily at 11, closed on Tuesdays.
1968 SW 5th Ave, Portland, OR 97201, USA
8. China Star Chinese Restaurant – a great Chinese take out where you can find your favorite Chinese dishes
Open daily at 11, this take out only spot has a modest appearance but a wide variety of dishes to take home.
The menu includes Chinese classics like beef and broccoli, shrimp lo mein and barbecued pork. Located on SE 122nd Opens daily at 11 a.m.
- 2825 SE 122nd Ave, Portland, OR 97236, USA
9. Powell Seafood Restaurant – a traditional Chinese seafood restaurant
Just like the name says, this locale specializes in seafood, and dishes up shrimp, mussels and oysters by the boatload to hungry and satisfied customers.
You can dine in, pick up your order and take it home to the family, or have it delivered to your door. Open daily from 11:30. Located on SE Powell Blvd.
- 6633 SE Powell Blvd, Portland, OR 97206, USA
10. Master Kong Chinese Restaurant – one of Portland’s favorite spots for classic Chinese food
Customers come for the handmade dumplings, beef brisket soup and specialties like pig ears and chicken feet.
Another dish that gets lots of positive feedback is the braised pork belly. Located on SE Division Street, Master Kong opens at 10:30 daily.
- 8435 SE Division St, Portland, OR 97266, USA
11. Stretch The Noodle – a popular food cart which has been nominated as Portland’s best hand-pulled noodles house
A small food cart with big ambitions to make handmade noodles for all, this cart gets lots of praise in reviews on social media and in print, too.
Located downtown on SW Washington Street, open only on weekdays beginning at 11, folks line up for the tender, braised beef, stir-fries with chicken, tofu and vegetables, and of course those wonderful noodles.
The ideal spot for grabbing a bite and heading to the park for lunch on a mild day.
- 223-269 SW Washington St, Portland, OR 97204, USA
12. Bao Bao Dumpling House – a funky place that specializes in handmade steamed buns and amazing dumplings
Bao Bao is now open for indoor dining and is also doing some take out orders, but book those well in advance the day you want it. The dumplings are amazing, of course, but if you want something else or something with your dumplings, try the bang bang chicken salad.
There are many flavors available for your dumplings, and all of them are tasty, especially the pork and scallion, and the crab.
Try the Kungpao chicken, too, or get an order to take home to family. All the food at Bao Bao is popular with customers, not just the dumplings, like “Ants climbing up a tree,” which is ground pork stirred into glass noodles, with ginger, garlic and other wonderful ingredients.
545 NE Couch St, Portland, OR 97232, USA
13. Chin’s Kitchen – ranked one of Portland’s top ten Chinese restaurants
Although right now Chin’s is offering takeout only (no dine in, temporarily) the braised ribs, steaming orders of vegetables and rice are well worth stopping by for an order to take home to the family.
Located on NE Broadway, the combo platters are enormous and the servings of chicken wings served piping hot and crispy. Open Tuesday to Sunday, from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m., and then again for dinner pickup orders from 4 p.m. until 8.
- 4126 NE Broadway, Portland, OR 97232, USA
14. Yang Kee BBQ Noodle House – a must-try place for Chinese noodle lovers
This Chinese restaurant is offering dine-in, take out and delivery options at its location on SE Harrison Street. The chicken in ginger sauce is tasty and spicy, and so is the beef chow mein.
If you’re feeling adventurous and want to try a truly authentic Chinese dish, order the beef tripe, along with a steaming bowl of rice and maybe some vegetables on the side. If you can’t eat it all you can always take it home! Open daily from 9 a.m. until 7 p.m.
- 8220 SE Harrison St #215, Portland, OR 97216, USA
15. HK Cafe – a traditional but popular and busy eatery perfect for parties
Found on 82nd Avenue in the Eastport Shopping Center, this cafe is open for dining in, picking up take out or for delivery, 9:30 a.m. until 9 p.m. daily.
There are traditional dishes like chicken feet, and dumplings in plenty of different varieties. The atmosphere is casual but warm and welcoming, and the service is terrific!
Try the salt and pepper squid, the Peking duck or the Mongolian beef – all get lots of praise in online reviews. There are lots of vegetable dishes too, so the meat averse in your crowd won’t feel left out.
- 4410 SE 82nd Ave, Portland, OR 97266, USA
16. Bing Mi Food Truck – a unique food truck perfect for a Chinese breakfast or lunch
This modest operation inspires big-time raves from customers who line up happily to wait for a Chinese crepe, stuffed to overflowing with black bean paste, chili paste, cilantro and lots of other fresh ingredients.
The hot wanton cracker also gets a lot of online praise, and so does the sausage crepe.
Whatever type of crepe you’re craving, you can pick it up and Bing Mi at NW 23rd Place from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. daily.
1845 NW 23rd Pl, Portland, OR 97210, USA
17. Frank’s Noodle House – a family-run restaurant that offers a mix of Chinese and Korean food
This hit with local residents has two locations to serve you, one at NE Broadway and the other in Beaverton.
A speciality of the house is the Korean barbecue, along with handmade noodles, fried spring rolls and Kungpao chicken.
There is also a popular stir fry noodles and chicken dish on the menu, and lots of rice and other sides to order with your food, whether you’re sharing with friends or taking it home for a night with the family.
- 822 NE Broadway, Portland, OR 97232, USA
18. Ya Ya Cantonese BBQ – a famous Cantonese BBQ restaurant that serves up much-loved dishes
Although Ya Ya is closed on Monday and Tuesday, it’s open Wednesday until Sunday between 4 p.m. until 9, and is definitely a popular spot with locals and visitors alike.
This spot is known for its crispy pork belly, roast duck, spring rolls and much more, all served up in a homey and warm environment. Located on NE Alberta Street.
- 1451 NE Alberta St, Portland, OR
We also have posts on…
- Best Eastern European restaurants in Portland
- Best South East Asian Restaurants in Portland
- Best Greek restaurants in Portland
- Best Korean restaurants in Portland
Lee mostly spent his formative years as a junior Spielberg wannabe, devouring movies in front of a cinema screen, but then a “year out” after graduating turned into a not-too-shabby six years of working, travelling and volunteering across the globe. Attempting to satisfy his curiosity and passion for discovery both at home and abroad, he became a concierge at a luxury hotel and a member of the prestigious Les Clefs d’Or, whilst still finding time to visit over 60 countries. On his jaunts he combines all his passions – seeking out film locations, off-the-beaten track adventures and wildlife encounters which so far have included orangutans, whale sharks, gorillas and polar bears. He counts New Zealand, Tanzania, Denmark and Borneo among his favourite travel destinations.