The USA is famous for its seriously incredible Mexican food and although Portland isn’t particularly famous for this type of cuisine, there’s still a great range of choice. From casual food cart takeaways to more upscale dining, here are the best Mexican restaurants in Portland, Oregon…
1. Rocio’s Mexican Restaurant – a hip, highly rated restaurant with a cool setting
This popular spot offers contemporary versions of Mexican classics, served alongside big, chilled glasses brimming with margaritas.
Try the ultimate burrito when you’re really hungry, or one of the specials that change daily. Great guacamole. Located on Gladstone Street, dine in or take out.
- 2850 SE Gladstone St, Portland, OR 97202
2. Chilango PDX – a must try all-vegan Mexican City street food
This is the perfect place for Mexican food-loving vegans. Locals and visitors alike rave about the variety, full flavors and different levels of heat in dishes like the esquites, which is corn in a cup served with vegan mayo.
Also praised is the chicharron en salsa verde – fried local tofu in a medium-heat, spicy Verde sauce. A healthy way to indulge your cravings for all things Mexican. Right now, Chilango is only open Friday to Sunday, from 1 p.m. until 7. More hours will no doubt return once COVID-19 is well and truly over.
- 2223 NE Alberta St, Portland, OR 97211
3. La Taquiza Vegana – an incredible completely vegan/plant-based Mexican
Vegan and love Mexican food? You can combine both your diets at the highly rated – and trendy – La Taquiza Vegana food cart. Taking inspiration from lots of areas of Mexico including Oaxaca, Jalisco and Mexico City, La Taquiza Vegana serves up seriously good bean rice, Tacos al Pastor and tortillas as well as the delicious drink horchata.
Try the Veggie fajitas, the Guajillo jackfruit Birria, the Milanesa Torta with breaded house-made chick’n.
- 2216 SE 50th Ave, Portland, OR 97215
13. Verde Cocina Hillsdale – a rustic-chic place where you will find a variety of options for all tastes and desires
There is truly something for everyone at Cocina – meat lovers, vegans, vegetarians and even folks following a gluten-free diet or the Paleo nutrition plan. And to go along with whatever entree you select, there are cocktails of every stripe, and cold, chilled lagers and ales on tap.
But Verde serves more than Mexican classics: try the grilled Brussels sprouts done in olive oil and topped with chili flakes, or consider the quinoa tabbouleh salad for a change from your favorite dish. Verde is open seven days a week, and offers a massive brunch menu on the weekends, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (No reservations are taken right now, so just turn up and take your chances.) Located just off Highway 10 on Capital Highway and 19th.
- 6446 SW Capitol Hwy, Portland, OR 97239
9. Tamale Boy Dekum Mexican Restaurant – very popular counter-service restaurant perfect for the Mexican fever food
You’ll find this eatery on NE Dekum Street, just like the name says. It’s a casual place that offers counter service – the perfect place for lunch or to grab some take out for an evening at home.
Visitors praise the food but also the affordability, its proximity to a local brewery, and the weekly comedy night it hosts. Try the tacos, burritos and the tamale Norteno – all are hugely popular. Open from 11 a.m., daily.
- 1764 NE Dekum St, Portland, OR 97211
4. Mi Burrito Authentic Mexican Food – the perfect place to find Mexican classic food and appetizers
This casual eatery on Lombard Street opens daily at 9, and offers take out and dine-in options. The seats are comfortable and colorful, in lots of traditional designs, but if you come for the casual atmosphere, stay for the fantastic food.
There are lots of vegetarian and vegan takes on traditional dishes, like chili con carne. Online reviews note how special the chicken enchiladas with verde sauce are, and the breakfast burritos get plenty of praise, too. This spot is kid-friendly, with enough variety to suit their cravings, but the steak picado is all about pleasing the grownups.
- 819 N Lombard St, Portland, OR 97217
16. Que Pasa Cantina – upbeat cantina where you can enjoy homemade Mexican food and Margaritas made from scratch
This eatery has been popular since its early beginnings under a different name, and locals still rave. Que Pasa doesn’t rest on its laurels, earning praise for its steak fajitas, guacamole tostadas, and tacos and enchiladas of all types. A particular dish, pork negro, gets mentioned plenty online, and customers say leaving room for dessert is wise.
This spot does a Mexican take on the brownie, serving it warm with cinnamon, Mexican caramel and sugared tortilla strips. Located on SE 12th Avenue, it opens daily at 4 p.m. Closed on Sundays.
- 1408 SE 12th Ave, Portland, OR 97214
11. La Cocina Mexican Restaurant – one of Portland’s favourite restaurants that provides a real Mexican breakfast
This cheerful restaurant does lots of traditional Mexican fare, like tacos and enchiladas. But it also offers some quirky, original dishes as well, like fried cauliflower served with a creamy pistachio dip.
Go for the nachos and other popular Mexican dishes, but try something unusual while you’re there, like the breakfast meal Huevos Revueltos – a house specialty. Located on North Williams Avenue, open Monday – Thursday from 11 a.m. until 8:30, and Friday to Sunday from 11 until 9.
5. Ixtapa Mexican Restaurant – one of the best Mexican restaurants in the area
Located on SE Powell Blvd., this casual and welcoming eatery opens daily at 11 and has dine-in, take out and delivery options. The guacamole and nacho chips are traditional and delicious.
There are fish tacos for the no-meat crowd, and giant platters to share if that’s your preference. Take an order of food home to the family or pop in for a bite with co-workers – Ixtapa has something for just about everyone.
- 3901 N Williams Ave, Portland, OR 97227
. Nuestra Cocina Mexican Restaurant – an eatery where you can enjoy delicious Mexican food in a warm environment
This place on SE Division Street offers take out and dine in options, beginning at 4 p.m. daily. The tortillas are terrific but don’t skip the amazing cocktails, and not just margaritas.
Some of the mains are built for sharing or you can take a serving home when you just can’t eat any more of the fine tortillas or tacos.
- 2135 SE Division St, Portland, OR 97202
7. Raul’s Family Mexican Restaurant – a family-owned restaurant where you will find authentic Mexican food
You can dine in, order take out or have food delivered from this raved about Mexican restaurant. The portions are huge, so bring your appetite. Plates brim with beans and lots of sides, and the quesadillas get lots of excellent feedback from families and solo diners alike.
Located in a strip mall on SW 76th Avenue, this cantina may be casual in appearance, but its menu is big, varied, and a whole lot of fun. Opens at 11 a.m. each day. (On Veterans Day, hours may vary, so call ahead).
- 4820 SW 76th Ave, Portland, OR 97225
8. ¿Por Que No? – a place full of color and tradition that serves delightful Mexican nibbles
This is a small location but it has big flavors and lots of ambition to serve fine Mexican fare. They focus on seasonal, local ingredients at this eatery, so your meal is brimming with freshness and flavor.
The menu changes frequently because it’s seasonal, but – for example – the summer veggie taco, filled to bursting with local organic fare, had customers lined up and waiting. Open daily from 11 a.m., located on North Mississippi, for dine in, take out or delivery.
- 4635 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR 97215
10. Guero Mexican Restaurant – a laid-back spot that offers vegetarian options with locally sourced ingredients
The focus here is on seasonal, fresh and local ingredients that contribute to hits like vegetarian bowls of chili. This spot is known for its cocktails, too, and the list goes beyond great margaritas.
The room, which is bright and airy, is located on 28th Avenue, and is open daily from 11 a.m.
- 200 NE 28th Ave, Portland, OR 97232
12. La Carreta Mexican Restaurant – a large venue suited for gatherings and events with plenty of seatings
This spot is really popular with Portland residents and visitors alike. The staff is committed to offering customers fresh, authentic and healthy foods, along with a big, chilled glass of blended margarita. The carne Asada is a big hit with folks, but so are the combo plates. Get one with a taco, an enchilada and a steaming hot bowl of chili.
Once you’ve finished your meal, stick around for the live music. Located on SE McLoughlin Blvd., La Carreta stays open until 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights, so patrons can really get their groove on while downing fine cocktails and noshing on nachos. A great place for gathering with friends or family.
- Parking, Parking lot, 4534 SE McLoughlin Blvd, Portland, OR 97202
14. Si Senor Mexican Restaurant – great Mexican restaurant offering gluten-free and vegan options
This is a favorite spot for residents of Beaverton, located on Choban Lane. The menu is wide and varied, with plenty of traditional dishes offered in gluten-free or vegan.
Online reviews suggest starting with one of the big appetizer plates, built for sharing by a hungry group. If you’re looking for something that blends American fare with Mexican, try the Montana burger, or the nachos Idaho. Both get raves. Opens during the week at 11, and at noon on weekends.
- 11525 SW Choban Ln, Portland, OR 97225
15. Tienda Y Panaderia Santa Cruz Mexican Restaurant – a blend of Mexican shop and bakery where you can try exquisite food
Open from 7 a.m. daily to feed those folks craving a breakfast burrito, and there are lots of options to choose from. If you arrive later in the day, consider the tacos con lengua, which is tongue, or opt for something less daring, like vegetarian tacos and enchiladas.
Meat options include tripe, steak and other basics of Mexican cooking, but there is a lot here for non meat-eaters, too.
- Tienda Y Panaderia Santa Cruz Mexican Restaurant
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unusual restaurants in Portland
- Best Black owned restaurants in Portland
- Best Downtown restaurants in Portland
- Best SW Restaurants in Portland
Ever since he was knee-high to a grasshopper Michael has always been a sucker for an adventure. Growing up he was lucky enough to live in a handful of exotic far flung locations including Hong Kong, Pakistan, Kenya and Tanzania and since then he’s continued his taste for seeking out new cultures. So much in fact he now travels the world as a trading digital nomad, exploring everything from the sizzling street markets in Bangkok to random back alleys in Sri Lanka and everything in between! He also has a special fondness for Cohibas, street food, playing carrom, and fine wine and knows his clarets from his chiantis. He counts Cuba, Amsterdam, Indonesia, Cambodia and Italy as his favourite destinations.