Renowned for its opal heritage, Adelaide boasts a colourful scene which compliments its abundance of outdoor activities. Bristling with award-winning restaurants that inspire, cultural festivals that excite, and backdropped by white sandy beaches, Adelaide’s streets are filled with charm and lure.
A city of elegance and refinement, visitors from every corner of the globe traipse into Adelaide’s nearby wine regions, hike the majestic Mount Lofty Ranges, or come to catch a wave off the Fleurieu Peninsula.
Its vibrant city scene boasts an eclectic array of exclusive hotels, from gorgeous quirky boutiques to chic, historic residences. Here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Adelaide (in no particular order)...
1. Marion Hotel – a beautiful, trendy and unique Instagrammable design hotel that has been named South Australia’s best hotel
The perfect home away from home, this comfortable yet quirky hotel offers a relaxed, functional atmosphere, where industrial chic meets modern luxury.
Marion Hotel boasts 62 accommodations, with options for every taste and budget. A true hub of hospitality in Adelaide’s Suburban South, many social spots adorn the property.
From its award-winning garden between a modern eatery and an open-air cocktail bar, to a dining room that provides a touch of modern class amidst trendsetting furnishings, there is certainly no shortage of options of spaces to connect with families and friends.
The hotel’s menu offers modern twists on old favourites, in an elegant and refined setting.
- To book, check prices or availability for Marion Hotel
2. Eos by SkyCity – a cool, hip and Instagrammable hotel located near popular attractions
Redefining the very essence of luxury, subtle gestures underpin indulgent experiences at Eos by SkyCity, where a personalized service rooted in profound local knowledge meets a love for the unexpected.
Opening its doors in late 2020, this modern 120-room lavish hotel offers bespoke experiences and encompasses the finest elements of modern-day hospitality.
Over 900 pieces of art by South Australian leading and emerging artists feature in the hotel, which include diverse mediums of glass, photography, painting, and sculpture.
Boasting an array of signature restaurants and entertainment, as well as opulent spa experiences, this thrill-seeking haven is geared towards the pleasure-seeking traveller, with each delight delivered with a deft touch.
- To book, check prices or availability for Eos by SkyCity
3. The Franklin Boutique Hotel – a charming hotel with arty and funky decor housed in a 19th-century building
It is not every day you stumble across a pub with rooms that competes with the big-name chains. Housed in an 1855 building but converted into a contemporary gastropub and hotel, the eclectic charm of the Franklin Boutique Hotel does just that!
The quirky-cool ambiance of the downstairs pub, which boasts interesting features such as a wall mural of oversized proteas and a chandelier made from Coke crates, offers an exclusive experience.
The black hallways beautifully contrast the sunflower yellow bedroom décor, and the communal balcony is the perfect spot to watch the city transform into a pulsating metropolis by night.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Franklin Boutique Hotel
4. Fire Station Inn – a unique and quirky themed boutique inn set within a historic fire station
Set out to honour the history and culture of Adelaide whilst inspiring sustainability and heritage protection, this quirky and historic two-storey boutique inn is a converted Victoria fire station.
Containing just three suites, a stay here will sure be a special experience, especially for families, as kids will love the memorabilia of the fire station and the eccentric characteristics.
The Fire Engine suite is a sight to behold, featuring a real-life, red 1942 International fire engine complete with pumps and ladders. This versatile inn can be booked as three separate suites, or as one townhouse of four bedrooms with three spa bathrooms.
- To book, check prices or availability for Fire Station Inn
5. Ramsgate Hotel by Nightcap Social – a cute and quirky-chic boutique hotel built in the 19th century
Established in 1897, this historic building was beautifully built in front of a jetty and used for loading sheep and serving beer to the masses.
Now, it boasts 17 contemporary guestrooms topped with a King Koil bed and a flat-screen TV, refrigerator, heating, and air-conditioning. An on-site restaurant & bar is offered, as well as a social space where guests can sit back and enjoy the tremendous view.
The hotel’s Family Bistro is an exquisite spot to indulge in a wide range of seasonal dishes and is largely popular amongst locals. The Ramsgate overlooks the picturesque Henley Square, and is an excellent spot for people-watching.
- To book, check prices or availability for Ramsgate Hotel by Nightcap Social
6. The Soho Hotel, Ascend Hotel Collection – a cool, modern and trendy hotel that features a rooftop deck and a heated pool that overlooks the city
The iconic luxury associated with the Soho brand brings a lively ambiance to the fashionable East End of Adelaide’s CBD, offering tasteful experiences such as a day trip to the Barossa Valley for a lavish spot of wine tasting.
The hotel features spacious, luxury rooms and suites with king beds and trendsetting amenities to guarantee a restful visit.
The stylish, contemporary rooms boast iPod docks and TVs, while the hotel’s rooftop features a heated swimming pool where guests can overlook the city’s skyline with a cocktail.
S2 Thai on Flinders, the hotel’s glamorous restaurant offers guests a delectable experience of Thai cuisine, a bar snack menu, and a curated selection of local wines and craft beers.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Soho Hotel, Ascend Hotel Collection
7. Hotel Indigo Adelaide Markets, an IHG Hotel – a stylish and funky hotel with a trendy, Insta-worthy rooftop bar
Nestled into an eclectic pocket in the heart of the city is Hotel Indigo, a hotel which stimulates creativity and sparks curiosity, where guests can live like a local.
The hotel pays homage to the legendary festivals of the city, and boasts a vivacious colour palette which is brightened by vivid wall art. The décor harks back to South Australia’s mining heritage through tile patterns with copper fixtures.
Innovative flavours are offered at the hotel’s restaurants and bars, which tap into Adelaide Market’s most wonderful produce for seasonal appeal.
Merrymaker, the spectacular rooftop bar, further boasts a fantastic array of local delicacies, while the drinks menu focuses on Southern Australian wines and cocktail favourites with a twist.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Indigo Adelaide Markets, an IHG Hotel
8. Majestic Minima Hotel – an ultra-creative, hip and contemporary hotel place to stay in Adelaide perfect for partying Millenials and Gen Zs
Opening in 2008 before undergoing a total transformation into a creative space for guests and artists, this cosmopolitan boutique has set new trends in stylish yet inexpensive city fringe accommodations.
Here, 46 art rooms are offered at a budget-friendly price point. Each one is totally unique and is painted by a selection of local South Australian artists, representing their vision along the theme of creation.
Further amenities include a guest terrace and balcony, laundry facilities, a vending machine, and paid undercover parking. Located in cosmopolitan North Adelaide, Majestic Minima has a very modern and creative appeal both inside and out.
- To book, check prices or availability for Majestic Minima Hotel
9. Mount Lofty House – a historic boutique designer hotel that offers picturesque views
Stemming from its origins as a summer house for prominent statesman Arthur Hardy, this beautiful manor was once the state’s premier address for Adelaide’s elite.
Now, it is one of South Australia’s great icons. Famed for its fine dining restaurant, indulgent day spa experiences, and gorgeous landscape which hosts many weddings, this 5-star boutique hotel is a timely example of elegance and glamour.
A delightful selection of accommodations is on offer, from classic rooms to valley rooms, to cottages which can house up to 4 people.
Mount Lofty House is nestled in the lush Adelaide Hills wine region and bounded by stunning botanic gardens overlooking the Piccadilly Valley, whilst still an arm’s reach from the CBD.
- To book, check prices or availability for Mount Lofty House
10. Oval Hotel at Adelaide Oval – easily one of the coolest hotels to stay in Adelaide perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
An accommodation unlike any other, this premium boutique hotel is designed for total escape and relaxation. Wrapping around the eastern façade of the iconic Adelaide Oval, this unique location means every guestroom features exquisite views of the surrounding heritage-listed parklands, just a short walk from Adelaide’s vibrant CBD.
The contemporary interiors are delightfully accented by natural textures and custom furnishings, and each of its 138 guestrooms boasts intuitive technology in the form of electronic room controls.
A thoughtful guest experience is provided by the charming hotel staff, from an on-arrival welcome drink, through to the thoughtful embellishments throughout the property.
- To book, check prices or availability for Oval Hotel at Adelaide Oval
11. Art Series – The Watson – a contemporary and sophisticated hotel that provides great facilities
Drawing inspiration from indigenous artists, this boutique hotel offers open planned self-contained suites, and overlooks the majestic Adelaide Hills from the treetops of leafy Walkerville.
Watson originals and prints are dotted throughout the property, whilst splashes of desert colour enrich the large communal spaces.
The hotel boasts a lap pool and a gymnasium, offering a spot of healthy respite to an itinerary-packed traveller. The distinctive Art Series-inspired experience is complete with art tours, an art library, art journals, and a dedicated art channel.
The Watson is perfect for the passer-by, and also offers residence apartments for those looking to immerse in the city’s vibrant life long-term.
- To book, check prices or availability for Art Series – The Watson
12. Nightcap at Watermark Glenelg – a modern and homey hotel great for families
Here we have a quaint hotel located a mere 7-minute walk from Jetty Road Shopping Precinct, where understated elegance and minimalist design form a comfortable experience at an affordable price.
All double and triple rooms are equipped with a flat-screen TV, a tea/coffee maker, and the en-suites come with stylish toiletries.
Finely designed artwork features in all rooms, which is neatly organized and reflects the quirky character of Adelaide. The Sportstrak bar hosts a raffle every Friday, bringing guests and locals together.
The beer garden boasts uninterrupted views of Wigley Reserve and Holdfast Shores Marina, whilst the restaurant offers an extensive buffet menu with over 100 dishes.
- To book, check prices or availability for Nightcap at Watermark Glenelg
13. Walkers Arms Hotel – a top hotel that offers spacious rooms and great amenities
Boasting an incredible architectural design alongside contemporary furnishings, the Walkers Arms has an astonishing collection of awards, owing to its premium dining areas, 14-metre-long marble bar, and beer garden with super LED screens.
All tastes and styles are pleased at this eclectic hotel throughout its 20 stunning eco-sensitive accommodation suites, consisting of 8 Spa and 12 Deluxe suites.
A range of South Australian wines combine with local and international beers and spirits, and delicious cocktails crafted by mixologists, for a relaxing drinking experience on-site.
The hotel is located just 5km from the heart of Adelaide, which is easily accessible for a night of social antics.
- To book, check prices or availability for Walkers Arms Hotel
14. North Adelaide Heritage Cottages & Apartments – a rustic-chic aparthotel perfect for a romantic stay
One of Adelaide’s finest family accommodations where old-fashioned furniture meets modern amenities, North Adelaide Heritage Cottages & Apartments consist of 15 unique self-contained properties.
A premium Australian B&B experience is offered, in honour of the history and culture of Adelaide, boasting an informed interior design component of colours, textures, themes, and Australian antiques.
The property aims to inspire sustainability and old-world charm through its graceful choice of bespoke furnishings, and a separate lounge area with a flat-screen TV provides the comfort of a home from home.
Room service is available from the local eateries, meaning guests can enjoy the quintessential ambiance and prioritise some well-needed family time.
- To book, check prices or availability for North Adelaide Heritage Cottages & Apartments
15. Sequoia Lodge – an exquisite place to stay in Adelaide where guests can disconnect from the world
The adults-only Sequoia Lodge is a beautiful blend of the region, its nature, and its produce. Time appears to slow down upon entrance, in view of a 150-year-old Sequoia tree.
The outside is brought in, with a careful selection of earthy-toned materials, sweeping valley views, and wallabies hopping outside the balcony.
Located in a breathtaking natural setting, a scenic array of hiking spots, national parks, hidden creeks, and white sandy beaches surround the property.
The lodge staff can assist with guided tours along the Mount Lofty Trail, and nowhere else in the world are there four world-class wine regions within a 50-kilometre radius.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sequoia Lodge
We also have posts on…
- Cool and hip hotels in Sydney
- Cool and hip hotels in Melbourne
- Cool and hip hotels in Brisbane
- Cool boutique hotels in Byron Bay
- Cool and hip hotels in Gold Coast
- Cool and hip hotels in Perth
- Cool and hip hotels in Queenstown
- Cool and hip hotels in Bangkok
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Byron Bay
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Noosa
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Broome
Scott started his travelling life back in 1999, when he headed off on a solo jaunt to South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia with just a backpack, a camera and a spirit for adventure. After that, the travel bug bit hard and now he is always seeking to head off somewhere new. Over the years he has lived in Italy, Qatar, Ireland, UK and the US but his spiritual home will always be Rome as this is the city which most satisfies his unrelenting craving for culture, good food and great football. Scott loves nothing better than to be behind the camera and also runs his own blog and Instagram page. He also counts Melbourne, Cape Town and Tel Aviv among his favourite places. Follow him on Twitter and Instagram at @scottbalaam