Made famous by the legendary Tony Christie and located at the midway point on the iconic US Route 66 in the Texas Panhandle, Amarillo is a unique, cool and captivating destination. It’s surrounded by sprawling desert landscapes, the country’s second-largest canyon and the very awesome ‘Cadillac Ranch‘ – a much-loved and very photogenic public art installation and sculpture.
In the town itself expect to discover quaint art deco and Spanish Revival Buildings, the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame and a fascinating rich western culture. Now you just need to find an equally awesome place to stay, so from quirky boutique inns to hip and modern, here are the best cool and unusual hotels to visit in Amarillo, Texas (in no particular order, they’re all awesome)…
1. The Barfield, Autograph Collection – a hip, cool and very Instagrammable upscale hotel that embodies the heritage and culture of the Texas Panhandle
With its modern, custom-built furniture and stylish feel, the first Boutique Hotel in Amarillo brings legendary Southern hospitality into the 21st century.
Each of the 112 rooms is designed to evoke the feelings of the residential grandeur of Texas with the modern luxury we love today. Rooms feature a range of technology to keep you connected during your stay, including high-speed internet, smart TVs and dedicated, ergonomic working spaces.
The restaurant on-site offers a magical experience, blending Texan tradition with fine dining finesse, while a fitness center, meeting space and valet parking add the perfect finishing touches to your stay.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Barfield, Autograph Collection
2. Big Texan Motel – a fun, unique and trendy motel that features a design that resembles the main street in an old west town
The Big Texan Motel isn’t just a great place to stay, it’s a site you need to see in its own right.
A 54 unite, two story motel than should be just like any other, and yet the building is decorated like a colorful row of old west wooden buildings, with fascia, hotel signs and everything else.
If there is one place that must be in our top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Amarillo, this is it. Even the benches to sit on and admire the place have wagon wheels at either end.
Inside the units its more of the same, but while the wooden beds and walls may appear to be something from the time of the settlers, everything is very modern and provides the luxurious experience you come to expect from a quality hotel.
- To book, check prices or availability for Big Texan Motel
3. Zo’s Relic – a cool and funky boutique guesthouse with quirky chic decor
Hiding behind a traditional 1920s home in the historic district of Amarillo, this wonderful 1-bedroom rental is convenient for the sites and sounds of 6th street and the dining and nightlife of downtown.
An eclectic décor gives you something new to admire with every glance. This member of our top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Amarillo blends genuine antique pieces with modern amenities and gives access to a private, fenced entry and backyard complete with a patio area.
With wifi and TV included, this studio-style accommodation is great for anyone wanting to stay close to the attractions of the city and enjoy the freedom that a hotel cannot always provide.
With plenty of dining choices for every budget within walking distance, whatever you are looking for from your stay, you won’t need to travel far to find it.
- To book, check prices or availability for Zo’s Relic Amarillo
4. Atrea Inn Amarillo – a cool and unusual boutique inn that blends charm and comfort in a relaxed environment
Sitting just off Paramount Boulevard surrounded by restaurants, bars and more, Atrea Inn offers a range of studio, 1 and 2-bed rooms that all feature modern, colorful décor and a range of modern amenities.
You can enjoy a real luxury experience right in the heart of Amarillo, with the shopping and dining of downtown and the sightseeing of the historic district and legendary 6th street an easy walk away.
24-hour concierge, complimentary breakfast and freshly made hot and cold drinks throughout the day add to the experience, giving a relaxing, enjoyable and memorable stay at this fantastic hotel.
- To book, check prices or availability for Atrea Inn Amarillo
5. Tentrr Signature Site – Painted Lady – a trendy luxury tent perfect for fun and outdooring loving Millennials and Gen Zs
If you are looking for something really different in your top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Amarillo, you can’t get much better than Painted Lady.
It’s camping with a difference, bespoke tents sit atop wooden deck bases, elevating them off the ground and featuring full size beds inside. You get the thrill of sleeping outdoors in the gloria Texan countryside, but with all the convenience and comfort of a motel room.
Enjoy a barbeque or just dine outside on the provided wooden benches. Whatever you choose, you are sure to have an unforgettable time when staying at Painted Lady.
- To book, check prices or availability for Tentrr Signature Site – Painted Lady
6. Tru by Hilton – a stylish and colorful hotel that offers free breakfast and free parking
Looking very much like the offices of a hi-tech company from Silicon Valley from the outside, with its clean lines, splashes of color and mirrored glass, Tru by Hilton is just 5 miles from Austin Park, and offers a modern style that sets it apart from anywhere else in the area.
A 24-hour desk and fitness center provide everything you need, as and when you need it, while rooms take a minimalist approach, with super-comfy Serta mattresses, large TVs and free wifi.
Style is very modern, and with semi-private work pods available for guests in the lobby area, remote printing access and more, if it’s a working visit Tru is the perfect choice. A unique approach to luxury accommodation, Tru by Hilton is definitely a worthy member of the top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Amarillo.
- To book, check prices or availability for Tru by Hilton Amarillo
7. Tentrr Signature Site – Monarch – another beautiful tent for a very unique stay in Amarillo
Spend the night amongst nature without sacrificing your comfort thanks to Tentrr. This impressive luxury tent has room for 4, and features a large bed for maximum sleeping comfort, as well as wooden outdoor seating and a barbeque to get the full camping experience.
Located just 5 miles from Austin Park, this is a pet-friendly accommodation, so if you are bringing dogs to Amarillo, may be the perfect choice for spending time in the outdoors in one of the top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Amarillo and having an extremely comfortable and relaxing stay.
- To book, check prices or availability for Tentrr Signature Site – Monarch
8. Deluxe Big Texan Multi-Suite – a hip, rustic-chic apartment that is within close proximity to the airport
With its frontage that looks like a row of stores from the old west, just driving up to the Big Texan leaves you with no doubt that this is one of the top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Amarillo.
Take the deluxe multi-suite though, and things get even better. With 2 large double beds in the main room and an extra-large double bed in the separate bedroom, you can easily sleep 6 in absolute comfort.
The décor is incredible, with wooden slat walls, wooden beds with the lone star emblazoned on the headboard, traditional style writing desk and seating and so much more, you feel like you walked back to the 1800’s.
Yet, despite appearances, everything is solid, modern construction and a quality feel, giving you the modern hotel experience and the visuals of the old west for a fun, memorable stay.
- To book, check prices or availability for Deluxe Big Texan Multi-Suite
9. Country Getaway – a chic and modern holiday home perfect for longer stays
At just half a mile from Austin Park, Country Getaway is a beautiful 1-bedroom holiday home that features a TV and a kitchen complete with dishwasher and microwave.
Giving you the freedom to cook and eat when you want, it is also easily placed for dining out, and comes with fast internet, TV and even a hairdryer.
It’s a real home-from-home with its own private entrance, letting you create a schedule that suits how you want to enjoy your time in the area.
Comfortable, fun décor instantly make you feel at ease, and with so much to see and do, it is the ideal place to stay for anyone who wants to experience Amarillo at their own pace and enjoy one of the top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Amarillo.
- To book, check prices or availability for Country Getaway Amarillo
10. Madison Square – a modern and chic apartment that provides guests with great amenities
A stylish, air-conditioned apartment just a mile from Austin Park, Madison Square has two bedrooms, each with a large double bed, with loft-style décor and an eclectic mix of furniture to create a very unique ambience and worthy of being in the top 10 cool and unusual hotels in Amarillo.
Free wifi is provided and is a pet-friendly apartment. Aside from the bedrooms, there is a large bathroom, comfortable seating area and an impressive kitchen complete with a breakfast bar.
Within easy reach of a range of dining experiences or the option to prepare your own food, Madison Square gives you plenty of options
- To book, check prices or availability for Madison Square Amarillo
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Albuquerque
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Oklahoma City
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Santa Fe
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Dallas
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Colorado Springs
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Tulsa
- Cool and Unique Hotels in San Antonio
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Austin
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Houston
- Cool and Unique Hotels in El Paso
Ever since he was knee-high to a grasshopper Michael has always been a sucker for an adventure. Growing up he was lucky enough to live in a handful of exotic far flung locations including Hong Kong, Pakistan, Kenya and Tanzania and since then he’s continued his taste for seeking out new cultures. So much in fact he now travels the world as a trading digital nomad, exploring everything from the sizzling street markets in Bangkok to random back alleys in Sri Lanka and everything in between! He also has a special fondness for Cohibas, street food, playing carrom, and fine wine and knows his clarets from his chiantis. He counts Cuba, Amsterdam, Indonesia, Cambodia and Italy as his favourite destinations.