Known for its community of artists, its chocolate box pretty buildings, jaw-dropping coastal scenery, its white sand beach with the odd passing whale, cozy inns, boutique shops, great food and for being a city that once had Clint Eastwood as its mayor.
Located on California’s Monterey Peninsula, its creative, unique and affluent bohemian vibe means it’s home to some seriously cute places to stay. From quirky chic inns to beautiful modern boutiques, here are some of the best cool and unusual hotels in Carmel (in no particular order, they’re all awesome)…
1. Hyatt Carmel Highlands – an exquisite modern resort surrounded by charming pine groves where guests can dine overlooking the ocean
If you love the Al Fresco lifestyle then this is the hotel for you. Perched on the bluffs overlooking the spectacular Big Sur shoreline this hotel is a little slice of paradise.
Rooms are all about comfort, amenities and views. The hotel, within Point Lobos State Reserve, has been a destination since 1917 and the Pacific Edge Restaurant is a destination in itself.
Sporting an amazing outdoor terrace, serving up local bounty from land and sea and delicious craft cocktails, it’s the perfect place to kick back, fill your belly, and enjoy the romance of a Big Sur Sunset.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hyatt Carmel Highlands
2. Carriage House Inn – a chic and stylish inn that offers complimentary breakfast and newspapers to all guests
In a quiet side street just off bustling Ocean Avenue, Carriage House Inn awaits. This small 13 room inn treats its guests to open fires, jacuzzi tubs, complimentary wine and continental breakfast, not to mention an incredibly attentive staff.
Situated in the heart of the village, close to amazing restaurants, shops and amenities, not to mention fabulous Coastal hikes, Carriage House Inn is the ideal place to retreat and regroup.
If romance is what you’re after then explore their Romantic Getaway package, it could be just what you’re looking for.
- To book, check prices or availability for Carriage House Inn
3. Carmel Mission Inn – a trendy and chic inn within close proximity to great attractions
This cute little inn is set around a small pool and central courtyard giving it a nice Mediterranean feel. Rooms are nice and bright and some have little balconies overlooking either the pool or the mountains. This is quite a reasonably priced option for Carmel, I wouldn’t call it budget but it’s tipping in that direction.
It is still a great option, rooms are nicely furnished and there are plenty of alfresco spaces to kick back and read your book.
Staff are friendly and the on-site restaurant Shearwater Tavern serves up simple dishes made with fresh local ingredients and provides a cosy spot for a little drink and conversation with friends.
- To book, check prices or availability for Carmel Mission Inn
4. L’Auberge Carmel, Relais & Chateaux – a unique hotel built in 1929, conveniently located in the heart of Carmel village
Relax in pure European-Inspired luxury in this stylish historic hotel. No expense is spared here and there is tasteful opulence at every corner. Canopied beds, spacious tubs, underfloor heating in the bathrooms and gorgeous antique furnishings.
Perhaps one of the biggest draws is fine dining in the on-site Forbes 5 star restaurant, Aubergine. Enjoy mind-blowing seasonal recipes using local produce, paired with the perfect wine from the Restaurants extensive wine cellar.
Foodies may also love to check out the cooking courses on offer. Carmel is a classy place and this hotel is definitely a reflection of all that class, treat yourself!
- To book, check prices or availability for L’Auberge Carmel, Relais & Chateaux
5. Tradewinds Carmel – an award-winning boutique hotel where guests can enjoy a zen retreat
This Asian/Californian fusion has been offering guests a beautiful zen getaway since 1959. This award-winning hotel offers tranquil luxury overlooking the dramatic coastline of the Pacific Ocean and Point Lobos Natural Reserve.
Guests can enjoy peaceful spaces, custom-designed furnishings and luxury spa treatments, all within a stone’s throw of Carmel’s bustling shopping and dining scene.
Outdoor lovers will find plenty of amazing hiking, biking and golfing nearby.
- To book, check prices or availability for Tradewinds Carmel
6. The Vagabond’s House Boutique Inn & Spa – a quirky chic historic B&B that features English Tudor-style architecture, based in a charming location
This inspiring little boutique B&B dates back to the 1920’s and much like the poem of the same name it is an eclectic little treasure trove up on a hill geared towards comfort and luxurious homeliness.
The rooms are set around a gorgeous courtyard ablaze with bright plants, peaceful water features and Mediterranean tiles.
Rooms are full of little vintage quirks, spacious freestanding tubs and beds so comfy you won’t want to leave! I suggest you bring your notepad/sketch pad and pencil and let the creative juices flow. Perfect for a writer’s retreat or just to recharge your batteries in peace and comfort.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Vagabond’s House Boutique Inn & Spa
7. Villa Mara Carmel – one of the most Instagrammable idyllic seaside villas in Carmel
This newly renovated villa is perched in probably the most idyllic of settings up on the bluffs above Carmel Beach.
Many of the 16 rooms have stunning Pacific views and all of them are equipped with gorgeous custom-made and vintage furnishings that reflect the cultural and artistic soul of the village.
As it is very recently re-opened after extensive renovations you can be one of the first to experience its beautiful and peaceful elegance and unrivalled location.
- To book, check prices or availability for Villa Mara Carmel
8. The Getaway – a popular motel that is within walking distance from the beach
This is such a cute Motel-Style boutique Hotel, which mixes a fresh and breezy Californian style with luxury comfort and top-class amenities. You can drive right up and park by your room in this very central yet somewhat hidden gem.
The experience is elevated by thoughtful details such as breakfast baskets, a five o’clock Wine Hour and curated room amenities like cosy robes and Denver Mattresses.
Also. The modern hotel is pet-friendly too and doggie pals will enjoy special touches like beds and treats, you can even pop your pet poodle in the basket and take him for a spin on one of the vintage-style cruiser bikes included in room price!
- To book, check prices or availability for The Getaway Carmel
9. La Playa Carmel – a luxurious newly-restored hotel that is a favorite venue for weddings
If you’re after a romantic getaway then this is your place! The historic mansion was built in 1905 by artist Christian Jorgensen for his wife Angela; it featured the very first swimming pool in the village.
Over the years it has faced many renovations and restorations but the spirit of the building has always been preserved.
Just steps from the beach many of the rooms have stunning views of the ocean and guests can enjoy a dip in that famous pool, a stroll around the landscaped gardens or a stone fire pit on the beach for a spectacular view of the sunset.
Foodies can enjoy the sumptuous champagne breakfast or contemporary comfort food in the historic Bud’s Lounge.
- To book, check prices or availability for La Playa Carmel
10. Hotel Carmel – a rustic place to stay for guests looking for tranquillity and relaxation
Old School Carmel with a New School Approach, Hotel Carmel is a unique getaway for folks who enjoy things that are a bit different! From the gorgeous hip vintage furnishings to the board games and tape collection in the communal lounge it’s just full of quirk.
Kick back with the locals in the cool, sports-themed Brophy’s Tavern and then ease the hangover with the delicious continental breakfast that features fresh fruits, creamy yogurt and house-made granola.
All of this just steps from the beach and the quaint shops and boutiques of Carmel-by-Sea.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Carmel
11. Candle Light Inn – a cute place to stay in Carmel’s downtown, ideal for Millennials and Gen Zs
A luxurious getaway in the heart of Carmel, Candle Light Inn offers unrivalled friendly service, excellent location and lots of little extras to make your stay memorable. Rooms are big and spacious, beautifully furnished and many features jetted tubs and fireplaces.
All guests can enjoy fresh baked cookies, complimentary bottled water, wireless internet and tea and coffee making facilities. Staff are also happy to assist with restaurant reservations, golf, wine tasting tours, spa and massage and other local adventures.
- To book, check prices or availability for Candle Light Inn
12. The Hideaway – easily one of the coolest and most stylish hotels to stay in Carmel
This cute little 24 room boutique hotel offers its guests casual elegance, cosy craftsman-style furnishings, delicious continental breakfast delivered to your room, plenty of outdoor nooks to sit and read and all just a stone’s throw from Carmel’s Main Street.
Vintage cruiser bikes are available to all guests, also a complimentary 5 o’clock wine reception with snacks… perfect for making new friends. Pets are welcome too!
- To book, check prices or availability for The Hideaway Carmel
13. Pine Inn – Carmel – a distinctive inn that blends elegance and beauty with a touch of European design
Built in 1889 this was Carmel’s very first hotel and remains a popular place to stay. Enjoy the multiple nods to the historic building that are reflected in custom furnishings and decor.
The on-site restaurant Il Fornaio serves up tasty authentic Italian cuisine and you can even indulge in a bit of retail therapy at one of the on-site boutiques.
Ideally located close to Carmel’s high-end designer boutiques and within easy access to the Big Sur coastline and Monteray Airport, it’s a comfortable and convenient place to lay your head.
- To book, check prices or availability for Pine Inn – Carmel
14. Hofsas House Hotel – the perfect hotel for those who are looking for a romantic escape
This is a quaint family run boutique hotel with 37 cosy rooms that will accommodate any kind of traveller. The hotel is just a short walk from the white sands of Carmel Beach and all the other sights Carmel has to offer.
Rooms are equipped with Dutch doors to let in that fresh sea breeze and you can enjoy the spectacular sunsets from your very own balcony, maybe after a dip in the beautiful pool.
A warm and friendly boutique-style hotel with a real family atmosphere.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hofsas House Hotel
15. Coachman’s Inn, A Four Sisters Inn – a cozy B&B that provides a semi-private outdoor whirlpool and a spacious sun deck with a patio
Fresh, bright, airy and modern rooms create an atmosphere of laid-back luxury in this boutique inn. Set around a courtyard there is parking on site and plenty of curated amenities to make your stay extra special.
Just 5 mins walk from Carmel beach and around the corner from The Sunset Centre and Carmel’s plethora of shops and restaurants, it’s the perfect place to soak it all in.
- To book, check prices or availability for Coachman’s Inn, A Four Sisters Inn
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in San Francisco
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Lake Tahoe
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Los Angeles
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Napa Valley
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Santa Barbara
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Santa Cruz
- Cool Boutique hotels in Cannon Beach
- Cool Boutique hotels in Tacoma
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Sacramento
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Santa Cruz
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Portland
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Seattle
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Las Vegas
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in San Diego
- Cool boutique hotels in Pismo Beach
- Cool boutique hotels in Santa Monica
- Cool boutique hotels in San Jose
- Cool boutique hotels in Avila Beach
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Malibu
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Monterey
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Santa Rosa
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Huntington Beach
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Long Beach
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Morro Bay
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cambria
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Half Moon Bay
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Solvang
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Yosemite
Beth was born under a wandering star, with drama in her veins and ink in her pen. After stints studying theatre in Dublin and Utrecht she used her creative streak to see as much of the world as she could on as little money. She toured Italian Schools with a children’s theatre troop, lived as an au-pair in both Rome and Washington DC, explored the British countryside, worked her way through much of Europe, Salsa danced in Cuba and road tripped down America’s west coast where she discovered her spiritual home; Portland, Oregon. In between adventures she resides peacefully with her family, cats and ukulele.