Koh Pha Ngan, an island in the Gulf of Thailand, is a shimmering jewel that sparkles with natural beauty, cultural richness, and hedonistic allure.
With its pristine white sand beaches lapped by the emerald sea, dense tropical forests harbouring exotic flora and fauna, and breathtaking waterfalls cascading down verdant hills, the island is a nature lover’s paradise.
Koh Pha Ngan’s accommodation scene embodies the laid-back beach lifestyle perfectly and is guaranteed to leave you enchanted and rejuvenated. From jungle boutiques to hip beachfront resorts, here are my favourite cool and unusual hotels in Koh Pha Ngan, Thailand (in no particular order)…
1. Somewhere Only We Know – a cool and unique choice perfect for sociable and design-loving Millenials and Gen Zs
Taken straight from the pages of a fairy tale, this resort is like no other I have ever stayed in. Set in a stunning private bay composed of three beaches, the resort’s secret location is serene and majestic.
From spending my days lounging on enormous hammocks hanging from soaring trees to dining in total seclusion facing out to sea, every moment here will stay with me forever.
The furnishings of the villas have been entirely designed by International French designer Guillaume Brachet, and every piece is unique.
On-site you can indulge in tailor-made wellness and spiritual programmes, and arrange exclusive excursions to untouched parts of the island.
- To book, check prices or availability for Somewhere Only We Know
2. Varivana Resort Koh Phangan – SHA Extra Plus – a sleek, contemporary and wow-inducing hotel where guests can appreciate breathtaking mountain and ocean views and a lovely sunset
Situated on a serene hillside surrounded by coconut orchards, Varivana Resort was designed with well-being and unique experiences in mind.
As I entered the lobby, I was immediately charmed by the laid-back ambiance set by the use of black terrazzo and teak wood, as well as the scenic views of the surrounding landscape.
There’s a handful of public spaces on the rooftop which include a restaurant, a swimming pool, and a lounging area.
Throughout the hotel, the soothing palette, exposed concrete, and use of local coconut wood provides subtle references to the local culture, and the on-site gastronomy incorporates the fresh produce from around the region.
- To book, check prices or availability for Varivana Resort Koh Phangan – SHA Extra Plus
3. Cookies Salad Resort – a cool and hip oceanview boutique resort that features woodsy-chic accommodations located above the bay of Haad Salad Beach
Cookies Salad Resort is the perfect place to combine work, leisure, and wellness. Here, you will have a front row view across the majesty of the island’s crystal-clear waters, untouched nature, and shimmering shorelines.
I thought the atmosphere felt very Bali-esque, owing to the open-air yoga classes which took place every morning.
The hotel is family-run, which brings a distinct, intimate style and ensures guests are greeted with charm and contentment throughout their stay.
The rooms are styled differently, and add lots of vivid colours to the interior aesthetic. Waking up here was a dream come true, and I certainly hope to return soon!
- To book, check prices or availability for Cookies Salad Resort
4. Sand in My Shoes Beach Loft – a beautiful, boho-style boutique hotel located right across from the stunning Thongnaipan Noi beach
This unique back-to-nature retreat is situated in front of Thong Nai Pan Noi, the island’s most famed swimming beach. The property is clad head-to-toe in elegant décor, and graceful furnishings which radiate beauty and rustic charm.
I loved taking a break from the beach in the hotel’s shaded eatery every day, with soul-soothing views of the ocean azure and the effervescent sky setting a gorgeous backdrop.
There’s a quaint outdoor pool area fringed by towering trees evoking the quintessence of authentic jungle-style living. Each unit, spacious and elegant, is fitted with plush linens, state-of-the-art amenities, and nature-inspired hues.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sand in My Shoes Beach Loft
5. Chantaramas Resort – a cool and trendy boutique resort that is a paradise-like destination, ideal for couples or Instagrammers
Delicately designed in a contemporary style, this beautiful boutique resort invites you to one of the most picturesque corners of the island.
Here, the uniqueness of the decorations and the serenity of the lush tropical setting are guaranteed to soothe the soul, while the ambience of the flowers and trees spark an inner connection with nature.
A memorable, romantic dining experience is offered at the Moon Deck Restaurant, where you can relish authentic Thai culinary expressions on the beachfront.
There’s also a charming bar set before dazzling sunset views, which offers a large range of delicious crafted cocktails.
- To book, check prices or availability for Chantaramas Resort
6. Zee Luxury Boutique Hotel – a gorgeous and contemporary upscale boutique hotel based in vibrant Hinkong within walking distance from Hin Kong Beach
Offering a range of intricately crafted villas with a Balinese touch, Zee Luxury Boutique has infiltrated the island’s accommodation scene with a fresh new concept.
Hidden away in the peaceful Hin Kong beach area surrounded by palm trees, this indulgent getaway is a treat for all the senses.
Not only is the visual aesthetic eye-catching and impressive, but you can also embrace relaxing massages, delicious poolside cocktails, and exquisitely prepared, locally inspired meals at the lush courtyard restaurant.
Opening only in 2020, the 11 lavish villas come with both pool access and expansive sea views. Further on-site amenities include a fully equipped gym and a tennis court.
- To book, check prices or availability for Zee Luxury Boutique Hotel
7. The Cabin Beach Resort – a trendy, fun and unique modern beach resort close to the lively Haad Rin town – home to the world-famous Full Moon Party
If you like the sound of a private beach, accessible within a few steps from your spacious bungalow, then The Cabin is the place for you.
With the crystal-clear water surrounding you at all times, and a beachfront restaurant clasped by the scents of the sea, we truly never wanted to leave! The resort sets the island’s latest trends in interior design, with stylish finishes and modern amenities designed to enhance comfort and well-being.
Each unit combines luxury living standards with an industrial loft design, with a mix of wood and metal adorning the interiors.
The on-site Cabin Bar & Grill is the perfect spot to soak up entrancing sea views during sunset while sipping signature cocktails and sampling delicious Western dishes.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Cabin Beach Resort
8. Mayara pool villas – a small, cute and intimate boutique resort with Instagrammable views based in Haad Yao
We absolutely loved our stay at the wonderful Mayara resort. These charming pool villas bring the beauty and bounty of Koh Pha Ngan’s verdant terrain to your doorstep, and tower over the shoreline from a gorgeous hillside location.
Inside, the positioning of boutique furnishings adds a touch of hip, with the essence of laid-back luxury taking centre stage. Having our own private pool and sun loungers was incredible, and gave us little reason to search for the island’s hidden gems.
The bathrooms are equally as eye-catching and come with large rainfall showers, delightful wooden elements, and plenty of space.
- To book, check prices or availability for Mayara pool villas
9. Bluerama – Adults Only – a cool, trendy and impressive design resort situated near the Thongsala Pier and the city center
Set majestically on top of a hill with panoramic views of the Gulf of Thailand, Bluerama offers eco-friendly accommodations equipped with private terraces and decorated with traditional furniture.
From the property, Thongsala Walking Street and Pantip Food Market can be reached with a quick scooter ride.
The hotel’s infinity pool, located 200 metres above sea level, was the stand-out feature for me. It is surrounded by a tropical forest and granite rocks, and framed by cosy navy-blue bean bags designed for ultimate relaxation.
The restaurant offers inventive Thai fusion cuisine, bringing a wide selection of expertly crafted dishes to guests. Here, a chill lounge atmosphere is set, soundtracked by ambient tropical music.
- To book, check prices or availability for Bluerama – Adults Only
10. Santhiya Koh Phangan Resort and Spa – an upscale traditional Thai-style beach resort ideal for nature lovers looking for peace
Santhiya is a gem of a resort that embraces the true essence of natural beauty. Stretched over 18 acres of glorious tropical landscapes, this eco-chic hideaway brings world-renowned service and hospitality to the discerning jet setter.
The resplendent backdrop of lush forests, a crystal-clear bay and a private beach set an awe-inspiring tone for my stay, made even more graceful by the cascading poolside waterfalls.
All of the rooms are located on the cliff, and exude a rustic charm through smooth wood furnishings and grand four-poster beds with hanging mosquito nets, and are accompanied by balconies with cosy seating areas.
- To book, check prices or availability for Santhiya Koh Phangan Resort and Spa
11. Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas – an ultra-chic resort surrounded by tropical grounds located on the northeast coast of Koh Phangan
Sitting slap bang in the centre of the half-moon shaped Thong Nai Pan Noi beach, yet offering a unique sense of isolation, this dramatic hotel is as lavish as it gets.
The 64 villas and rooms are adorned with white walls, dark wood, thatched roofs, bamboo fences, and broad balconies, and are nestled within dense tropical vegetation.
The villas are navigated via narrow wooden bridges that traverse the on-site waterways, which are full of giant Koi. A stand-out feature for me has to be my private plunge pool, which faced a delightful jungle garden lagoon.
The Bistro at the Beach is a stunning all-day dining oasis, where you can expect Thai and international dishes crafted with an emphasis on fresh fish.
- To book, check prices or availability for Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas
12. Kupu Kupu Phangan Beach Villas & Spa by L’Occitane – SHA Plus – a striking and romantic villa embraced by gorgeous settings based on the Gulf of Thailand
Kupu Kupu is the most idyllic spot to enliven all the senses with brand new experiences, and the property is framed by soaring palms which set a peaceful, tropical atmosphere.
It caters to couples, honeymooners, and those in pursuit of a peaceful and secluded retreat. Waking up each morning with the sounds of the waves and the fragrance of coconuts was a beautiful treat, and indulging in a sumptuous floating breakfast was a memorable moment.
The hotel’s spa is one of the island’s most famed, and offers a wide array of bespoke rituals which incorporate organic local products.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kupu Kupu Phangan Beach Villas & Spa by L’Occitane – SHA Plus
13. Vannee Golden Sands – a striking collection of upscale beachfront suites located on a private beach
Offering an exquisite selection of tastefully decorated luxury suites and pool villas spread across a private beach, Vannee Golden Sands is one of Koh Pha Ngan’s premium accommodations.
The multi-level infinity pool is the biggest on the island, and is equipped with a pool bar and sundecks, capturing the true essence of tropical luxury.
The sunset from up here is enthralling, and the bar evolves into a hub of vibrancy at night, bringing all travellers together to embrace beauty and extravagance.
My elegant bedroom came with a luxury bathroom, topped with rose petals which made the bath-time ritual ever more majestic.
- To book, check prices or availability for Vannee Golden Sands
14. Le Divine Comedie Beach Resort – a funky, colorful and unique resort that features a cool design set in Haad Rin town
Here we have a one-of-a-kind boutique hotel made for guests in pursuit of originality, glamour, and close proximity to the beach.
The atmosphere here is made ever more dreamlike by the sumptuous facilities on offer, designed to pamper you in elegance from the minute you arrive.
Each room is equipped with modern equipment, polished concrete floors, and curved shapes offering a unique appeal.
The resort’s social heart is its infinity pool which is surrounded by tropical landscapes. From here, you can overlook Koh Samui island with a crafted cocktail in hand.
During my stay, I was able to rent a scooter with ease, and sign up for life-lasting excursions across neighbouring islands on a private longtail boat.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Divine Comedie Beach Resort
15. Sunset Hill Boutique Resort Koh Phangan- SHA Plus – a polished must-stay boutique resort where guests can enjoy breathtakingly sea views and free services such as an airport shuttle
I witnessed some of the most magical sunsets of my life at this eclectic west coast property, which caters to couples and lone travellers with its range of luxury apartment-style rooms.
The resort houses one of the island’s most famous infinity pools, offering a jaw-dropping spot for an Instagram shoot encompassing jungle, ocean, and soaring palms.
As a guest at Sunset Hill you can take advantage of bespoke wellness retreats which centre around your needs with a holistic approach. You can indulge in either yoga or meditation classes, and be guided towards a harmony of body, mind, and soul.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sunset Hill Boutique Resort Koh Phangan- SHA Plus
16. Amaya Boutique Resort – a tropical-style chic resort that features spacious family rooms and an outdoor swimming pool
Resting in the cradle of Koh Pha Ngan’s wonder, in a prime spot where the tropical jungle connects to the sea, Amaya draws its essence from the island’s unique vibrations and people.
The resort encompasses 7 guestrooms, including 4 pool view units and 3 with sublime garden views. Each morning for me began on my private patio area, inhaling the tropical breeze and soaking the island sun, before heading down to the shaded café nestled within the garden.
On-site, you can indulge in seasonal cuisine crafted with organic ingredients at the core, as well as fresh coconuts and fruit smoothies throughout the day.
- To book, check prices or availability for Amaya Boutique Resort
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Koh Samui
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Phuket
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Bangkok
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Pattaya
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Chiang Mai
Michael Cowley – writer and photographer
Ever since he was knee-high to a grasshopper Michael has always had an affinity for adventure. Growing up he was lucky enough to live in a handful of exotic far flung locations including Hong Kong, Pakistan, Kenya and Tanzania and since then he’s continued seeking out new places and cultures. In his spare time he explores everywhere from the sizzling street markets in Bangkok to random back alleys in Sri Lanka and everything in between! He also has a special fondness for Cohibas, trying all kinds of street food, playing carrom with random strangers, and fine wine – he knows his clarets from his chiantis. He counts Cuba, Amsterdam, Indonesia, Goa, Cambodia and Italy as his favourite destinations. Find Michael on Instagram or Twitter.