Known for being the ‘gateway to the South’, being home of boxer Muhammad Ali, Louisville Slugger baseball bats, bourbon, its university and its great restaurants and museums, the fun and funky Kentucky gem is both a great place to both visit and live.
It was also once voted (by Forbes) as being one of the coolest cities in the US and is filled with art, culture, hip neighborhoods waiting to be explored and plenty of good vibes.
Its hotels are pretty special too. From fun and funky boutiques to sleek and modern high rises, here is a collection of cool and unusual hotels in Louisville, Kentucky (in no particular order)...
1. Moxy Louisville Downtown – a funky and fun hotel with luxurious tech-friendly rooms perfect for Millenials and Gen Zs
Surrounded by restaurants and bars, this trendy hotel offers guests spectacular views of the Ohio River. Even better, it is just over a ten-minute leisurely walk down to the Waterfront Park and for culture buffs, it’s only a mile from attractions like the Frazier History Museum.
The Moxy is a must-stay for anyone keen to immerse themselves in some vibrant Southern hospitality. This hotel delivers plenty of history and tradition with its location on the historic Whiskey Row. It sits amidst world-famous distilleries and trendy nightspots. Guests seeking on-the-go, full-on entertainment and attractions can keep busy with the nearby Kentucky International Convention Center or concerts at the KFC Yum! Center.
- To book, check prices or availability for Moxy Louisville Downtown
2. 21c Museum Hotel Louisville – a hip, fun and funky hotel which also doubles as a multi-venue contemporary art museum
The 21c Museum Hotel Louisville located on Museum Row is literally an art museum! Stay at the hotel and experience a cultural feast without even leaving the building, or step outside and be immediately spoilt for choice with just a few minutes’ walk to the Louisville Glassworks or the Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts.
After working out at the in-house fitness center, health-conscious hotel guests can relax with a delightful pampering at the hotel wellness center, featuring a sauna and steam room and massage treatments. And for a memorable dining experience, indulge yourselves at the Proof on Main restaurant and bar which offers over 120 Kentucky Bourbons for your delectation, while immersing yourself in the wonderful historic and contemporary art on display.
- To book, check prices or availability for 21c Museum Hotel Louisville
3. Galt House Hotel, A Trademark Collection Hotel – a legendary and very Instagrammable hotel that overlooks the waterfront from the heart of downtown
For something entirely different, stay at the Galt House Hotel and spend an entertaining evening at their Cigar Lounge, out on the Walker’s Exchange Patio. You will be surrounded by great views, enjoy drinks specials, and experience excellent live entertainment. Guests can even purchase cigars to blend in and become part of the ambience.
Overlooking the waterfront, in the center of the downtown museum and cultural district, the sophisticated Galt House Hotel is on the Urban Bourbon Trail. It is ideal for guests keen to explore Louisville’s renowned tourist magnets, like the nearby Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts and the KFC Yum! Center. The hotel itself has plenty to offer with healthy activities at the fully equipped Club 360° fitness center and the outdoor pool, complete with stunning waterfront views.
- To book, check prices or availability for Galt House Hotel, A Trademark Collection Hotel
4. The Grady Hotel – a chic and trendy restored old factory building turned into a stylish hotel
Dating back to the 1880s, this upscale hotel is set in the downtown Market District, on the Bourbon Trail. Housed in a delightfully restored historic building, the hotel honors the past and offers warm Southern-style Kentucky hospitality to her guests. Charming vintage interiors blend seamlessly with contemporary décor and locally inspired art to deliver a fascinating, warm welcome.
This refined hotel showcases a memorable collection of historic artifacts, art masterpieces and locally inspired art. Guests can dine in the gracious setting of the hotel’s restaurant and lounge, and enjoy the Wild Swann’s homage to tradition with a cocktail and dining experience that wonderfully encapsulates Louisville’s quintessential heritage.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Grady Hotel
5. Hotel Distil, Autograph Collection – an elegant hotel that is home to the finest comfort and experience
The aptly named Hotel Distil nestles amongst former liquor warehouses along Whisky Row. The luxuriously appointed guest rooms have city or river views and guests are cared for with upscale amenities including room service, a gym, valet parking, and a laundry service. One particularly distinctive feature at this establishment is a roof-top bar with a fabulous glass roof. While offering all the best refined modern amenities, the hotel still preserves a historic façade and a genteel last-century ambiance.
For those seeking to experience Louisville’s exciting heyday, dine in at the Repeal Oak Fired Steakhouse with its oak-fired grill and classic American bar. You can choose from over a hundred curated bourbons or indulge in classic cocktails that capture the essence of everything Kentucky.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Distil, Autograph Collection
6. Omni Louisville Hotel – a vibrant place to stay in downtown Louisville
Located in downtown Louisville, this contemporary hotel offers a host of interesting activities and tourist experiences close by. You can soak up the local culture and traditions and immerse yourself in inspiring local art and nearby popular attractions. You don’t need to go far to enjoy a vacation on the go, with the nearby KFC Yum! Center and the Louisville Science Center. Or you could visit the Muhammad Ali Center, the Kentucky International Convention Center, or the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory.
This modern hotel offers guests every convenience with a steakhouse-style restaurant and bourbon bars and of course, a luxury spa and salon and a rooftop pool. For entertainment, there is a terrace off the bar and restaurant, an upmarket speakeasy lounge, and even an in-house bowling alley.
- To book, check prices or availability for Omni Louisville Hotel
7. The Brown Hotel – a historic hotel famous for its finest Kentucky bourbon
This sophisticated, landmark hotel is located beside the Brown Theatre and only two minutes away from the Louisville Palace. Renowned for its opulence and distinction, the Brown Hotel is graced with a magnificent lobby inside a spectacular Georgian-Revival façade, which makes the hotel a marvelous blend of yesteryear elegance and modern design features. The Brown Hotel captures the essence of the rich traditional heritage of old Kentucky, delivering it with flawless style and finesse.
The latest modern amenities provide comfort and convenience for guests, with a 24-hour airport shuttle, a fitness center, meeting rooms, two refined restaurants and a glamorous lobby bar.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Brown Hotel
8. The Seelbach Hilton Louisville – a luxury chic historic hotel with Old World charm
Another of Louisville’s grand and genteel properties, The Seelbach Hilton Louisville dates back to 1905 and is distinguished by its opulent lobby and upscale styling and interior design. For a grand hotel experience stay a while at the Seelbach Hilton Louisville and indulge yourself at their celebrated restaurant, or enjoy a meal at the 1920s-style eatery and bar.
The Seelbach Hilton Louisville is a member of the Historic Hotels of America and is said to have inspired the acclaimed 1920s novel, The Great Gatsby, written by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The hotel has also been host to Presidents, prohibition mobsters, and legendary artists. It houses The Rathskellar, which is the last surviving Rookwood Pottery room.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Seelbach Hilton Louisville
9. Aloft Louisville Downtown – the perfect place to retreat yourself into comfort and a homey vacation
For guests seeking something smart and contemporary, look no further than the Aloft Louisville Downtown boutique hotel. Set on the historic Whiskey Row, guests have easy access to all the best attractions the city can offer. Experience Fourth Street Live! or visit popular nearby destinations like the historic steamboat Belle of Louisville, which is moored on the Ohio River or the Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory.
Every comfort is catered for with a modern restaurant and bar with a patio, a fitness center, and a snooker table. Guests can access snacks 24/7 from the pantry, “Re:fuel by Aloft”. Breakfast is available, there is plenty of parking, and you can even bring your pets on holiday with you.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aloft Louisville Downtown
10. Homewood Suites By Hilton Louisville Downtown – chic upscale suites perfect for extended stays
For a more laid-back vacation, enjoy the casual ambiance of the Homewood Suites By Hilton Louisville Downtown. The studio rooms and bedroom suites have everything you will need for your stay, with free wi-fi and HDTVs, and a full kitchen. Guests can enjoy a free hot breakfast in the dining room or enjoy a game of billiards in the games room, and the patio has fire pits. There are business facilities available for the working traveler and vacationing guests can bring their pets.
Home comforts include laundry/dry cleaning services and barbecue facilities, and to keep active while on holiday, guests can access the 24-hour gym and a heated indoor pool.
- To book, check prices or availability for Homewood Suites By Hilton Louisville Downtown
11. Louisville Marriott Downtown – a travel sustainably hotel that is connected to Kentucky International Conference Center via a skywalk
Located on the Urban Bourbon Trail, and just a mile from Waterfront Park, this refined hotel has a cool claim to fame. It is connected via a skywalk to its neighbor, the Kentucky International Convention Center. While the hotel is in the midst of the best sightseeing and attractions on offer, there is still plenty of action to be had in-house. Indulge yourself at the Italian-style restaurant or relax in the sports bar or the Starbucks coffee house.
For the healthy-minded, you can avail yourself of the fitness center, the indoor pool, and the sauna to wind down after working out. Some of the rooms have access to an exclusive club lounge providing free continental breakfasts and evening appetizers while some of the suites have their own wet bars and whirlpool tubs.
- To book, check prices or availability for Louisville Marriott Downtown
12. AC Hotel by Marriott Louisville Downtown – a funky and cosmopolitan hotel that offers an urban vibe that is within close proximity to top attractions
Nestled amidst restaurants and shops in the downtown East Market District is this trendy, contemporary hotel just one mile from the Louisville Waterfront Park. A distinctive feature of the hotel is its own tapas and cocktail bar, and there is a hotel restaurant for dining in. A continental breakfast buffet is also available in the morning, or a la carte if you prefer
For the fitness-minded, you can work out in the hotel gym or hire a bicycle from the front desk and do your own sightseeing. Bourbon fans can follow the distilleries on the Urban Bourbon Trail and sightseers can visit the nearby art galleries, antique shops and major attractions like Churchill Downs, the KFC Yum! Center, and the Louisville Slugger Field.
- To book, check prices or availability for AC Hotel by Marriott Louisville Downtown
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Indianapolis
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Cincinnati
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Nashville
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in St Louis
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Chicago
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Memphis
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Columbus
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Cleveland
- Cool Boutique hotels in Louisville
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Chattanooga
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lexington
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Knoxville
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.